PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo Profit Pedal Screws

elcolombiano
10-30-2015, 11:58 PM
The screws that came with my Campagnolo Profit Pedals are to long for my Giro shoes. I took the shoes, cleats and pedals to the local bike shop. When the shop told me the work was done I came to the shop to pick them up. Instead of cutting the campy screws down they used screws from a hardware store. The Campy instructions specifically state with words and diagrams to never use any other screws than those supplied because they can prevent proper disengagement of the cleats. I looked at the shoes cleated on the pedals and saw what appeared to be adequate engagement clearance. Perhaps as the cleats wear they may interfere? Does the shop know what they are doing. The shop owner told me he does not have time to grind screws and got the ones he gave me from a hardware store. In the past whenever I don't follow the campy instructions exactly, latter I am sorry when things fail. I always try to do work on my bike myself. The few times I have gone to the bike shop they always seem to be more interested in doing the work fast than doing it right. They seem to damage what they touch and then I have to replace it and do it myself. I find this very frustrating.

BdaGhisallo
10-31-2015, 03:50 AM
I would imagine that you will be just fine. If the bolt heads aren't protruding from within the cleat bolt slots I wouldn't worry.

Cicli
10-31-2015, 04:55 AM
My only concern would be the material that the hardware store screws are made from. Some of those screws are pretty soft. I would bet any cleat screw would be okay.

And as far as the shop owner not having time to do the job. This is why many shops loose customers. Lazyness.

oldpotatoe
10-31-2015, 05:03 AM
The screws that came with my Campagnolo Profit Pedals are to long for my Giro shoes. I took the shoes, cleats and pedals to the local bike shop. When the shop told me the work was done I came to the shop to pick them up. Instead of cutting the campy screws down they used screws from a hardware store. The Campy instructions specifically state with words and diagrams to never use any other screws than those supplied because they can prevent proper disengagement of the cleats. I looked at the shoes cleated on the pedals and saw what appeared to be adequate engagement clearance. Perhaps as the cleats wear they may interfere? Does the shop know what they are doing. The shop owner told me he does not have time to grind screws and got the ones he gave me from a hardware store. In the past whenever I don't follow the campy instructions exactly, latter I am sorry when things fail. I always try to do work on my bike myself. The few times I have gone to the bike shop they always seem to be more interested in doing the work fast than doing it right. They seem to damage what they touch and then I have to replace it and do it myself. I find this very frustrating.

Those may be those from older LOOK cleats, not the hardware store and as long as they sit below the cleat 'face', will probably be fine, regardless of what the Campagnolo 'NO' says.

jemoryl
10-31-2015, 06:39 AM
The screws they used will probably be OK, but if you don't trust them, a few minutes with a file, saw or Dremel and you could use the Campy screws.

OtayBW
10-31-2015, 06:46 AM
Slight topic drift: Where'd you get your cleat covers for the Pro Fit if you have them? They quit making them some time ago and mine are now more 'Shoe Goo' than cleat cover. Nothing out there that I can find works.