PDA

View Full Version : Ottrott review in Asphalt Mag

avitar
03-27-2004, 07:32 PM
The new issue of Asphalt Mag has a review of the Ottrott which sure makes me which I could justify buying one, but I bought a Concour CS last year.

Just thought some of you here might like to know about it. :bike:

dnovo
03-28-2004, 09:15 AM
Read it. They said nice things, the photograpy in the magazine is nice, but I had hoped for a bit more anaylsis and less 'gush' or 'cool' factor. Still, head and shoulders above BICYCLING, but then again what isn't? Fortunately, the new issue of CYCLING PLUS also showed up in the mail at about the same time. The latter had its usual compliment of tests and short blurbs on bikes and gear, and, inter alia, a detailed, component by component review of the 2004 Campy Chorus group -- they liked it a lot by the way. Dave N.

PBWrench
03-28-2004, 09:23 AM
The current issue of Bicycling is so pathetic, I may follow-through on my New Year's pledge not to renew!

jpw
03-28-2004, 09:48 AM
First, i know nothing.

Second, can any cycling magazine afford to 'disrespect' the advertising power of any reasonably sized cycing company? Don't they have to tip toe around the shortcomings of products just a little? Isn't it common sense self preserving self censorship?

I've stopped reading all cycling magazines. I just trawl the web for info.

Jeff N.
03-28-2004, 10:09 AM
I agrre with your analysis of the current issue of "Bicycling". I got it in the mail, took it into the garage, thumbed through it while inserts fell out all over the ground, saw absolutely ZERO articles that I found interesting, and just slam dunked it into the nearby trash can, along with the inserts that I policed up from the floor. I didn't even find this one worth saving. Jeff N.

DWF
03-28-2004, 10:14 AM
...that I policed up from the floor. Jeff N.

"Policed up." Obviously ex-military.

Charlie Mike.

Jeff N.
03-28-2004, 10:19 AM
"7.62 Millimeter! Full Metal Jacket!" Private Pyle, Full Metal Jacket

dnovo
03-28-2004, 12:44 PM
7.62? Bah, mouse gun. "There is no such thing as over-gunned." My now 88 year old father's comment to me in 1969 when I was heading off to the Army. The comment came in response to my observation that his gunner's decision in North Africa in 1942 to use the Sherman's 75mm rather than the .30 cal to take out an outraged camel who was chasing his driver after the carbine he had just shot it with jammed seemed to be tad excessive. His response to that has become my motto in life: Don't hold back, moderation is for chipmunks. If you have one, use the H-bomb to squash that gnat. ("David, did you take your meds today?" "No, honey, I rode for five hours and worked out my aggressions that way.") Dave N.

dbrk
03-28-2004, 01:07 PM
I received my copy of Asphalt in yesterday's mail. I like the pictures and the Torch Bearers section, of course. I was thrilled to see Dave Kirk there, not only because he is a fine, fine fellow but because my wife is a Kirk owner and I have seen with these two eyes of my own what wonderous work he does. I hope to be making Mr Kirk busier this year with a plan or two...but I digress. The magazine has aspirations, we can all agree to that I think.

However, the magazine also gushes over everything and seems to avoid going places that would injure individuals, reserving its meager criticisms for corporate giant(s). (For those of you who have not seen it, there are a few disapprobating remarks reserved for the Giant OCR...hence the bad pun.) Everything about modern bike culture is deemed Good and Worthy and with an honorable view of things past, the magazine tends to exalt technology's current wonders at no cost to the traditionalist. I welcome that approach believing that there is room enough for all, including those like myself who enjoy the most modern equipment but don't necessarily view it as superior (just plainly different). In my own skewed world I lament that many, many riders will never know the redoubtable admiration due to those who can shift friction faster than they will ever shift indexed brifter or know the ecstasy of their own practiced labor in that regard, but all such things past being reduced to "retro" in every other publication are nonetheless here not disparaged, and that is a good thing. I suppose we could hope for more but the current version is only mildly condescending: why is it that editors of bike magazines really think we understand so little? But that my point not be lost, Asphalt has a respect for the past and traditionalist bits that is entirely lost on Bicycling and just about everything else, though like dnovo I wish they were more concerned with empowering our understandings than they were in prosaic admirations. In a world bent upon disparaging and demeaning, I suppose this is a welcome relief albeit one not as constructive as it might be. Constructive critique is a near lost art in our culture: you are with us or against us, everything is personal, and that's a great loss for all who endeavor to grow past their narrow preferences and ideological affirmations.

Asphalt also fancies itself literary, not just literate and that too is a step up from the ad-is-copy-is-ad that confounds the editors of Bicycling and most others. But for turn of the phrase Asphalt cannot match Mr Petersen (few can...). I commend their efforts to split not infinitives and otherwise bring some modicum of felicity to their prose even when they lack incisiveness. I know I admire too much the vanity of prose, being a victim of my own. What is not to like about theirs? Kudos, I say; they persist!

It is easier to review a magazine than to write or edit one (I having been an editor of a major academic journal once upon a time...), and I nearly regret my own caustic missive that Velosnooze published last week (Pantani on the cover...So there I am attempting to read between the boxes, ads, crap that confuses me for being copy or endorsement and I find my own words published as a letter telling them off...yikes.).

I wish I learned more about the Ottrott than this review offered but I found out the crucial bit: the bike can descend fearlessly which in my own mind is _the_ make or break issue that defines a great bike. But there are no honest or serious comparisons say to the Odonata (but mentions) and so we must look to each other rather than to opine.

as usual, i have opined too much,

dbrk

jpw
03-28-2004, 02:57 PM
The tone of a magazine and it's editorial slant is, to a greater or lesser degree, determined by readership demographics and associated advertising revenue streams. The second consideration certainly colors views on issues such as retro verses contemporary cycling equipment. The profitability of a pair of 'brifters' is somewhat higher than a traditional pair of down tube friction shifter levers in todays market. Publishers know which side of their bread is buttered. It's just a fact of printed life. I've given up on reading cycling magazines. I did like Velonews about ten years ago when it was printed on what seeemed like dried toilet paper (before being used i hasten to add). Haven't seen a copy in years. In essence cycling doesn't really change as time passes, which is reassuring for the cyclist but frustrating for the industry. Long may it continue.

dnovo
03-28-2004, 05:55 PM
I will continue to buy ASPHALT because of its occasional triumphs like its Dave Staub article several issues ago and just before his untimely death. It is not that bad, but it's 'tests' are a joke, their is nothing wrong with some of the low end bikes but the level of slobbering does get annoying.

No, I will stick with CYCLING PLUS, who has the guts to point out that the Emperor is Naked and has rates products on value for result, not simply which is best or the most expensive. And yes, they have crapped all over some otherwise lauded products in the last few years, and have been dead on with their observations as to several others. (I tried my first set of Ritchey WCS bars when they said they were ideal for Campy Ergo levers. Dead on, as with several other products they recommended.)

Dave N. (who got out a lot over the last two days, when it hit 62 before the rain came in about an hour and a half ago, so Mrs. Cleaver will have an easy time getting the Beaver to go to bed at a reasonable hour.)

jerk
03-28-2004, 08:43 PM
bicycle magazines are the worst. the writers know nothing about their subject matter. they are neither racers nor builders. they know the industry only through product managers and their advertising departments. the jerk was never a great racer nor is he a great writer nor has he made millions in our funny bicycle world/industry/addiction but the jerk guarantees he could make a profitable and readable magazine drawing solely from people who contribute to this forum. think about it:

editor:jerk (hey its my idea) i'll right an editorial on whatever i want and do bike tests unbeholden to any advertisers and comment on the euro-racing scene...

columnists:
dbrk (one article a month on something strange, old and/or french, one editorial on something new, exciting and visionary), e-richie (one article a month on bike design, construction and what goes into building racing bicycles), dr. doofus, dnovo, climb and sandy will be bike and equipment reviewers. saab will be our man covering the european racing circuit...cause it's his back yard and he knows what racing is about....

you know the best part? we would spend less time doing this than hanging out on this forum.....

jerk

CIII_bill
03-28-2004, 11:59 PM
Jerk,

That's a great idea. Turn it into an e-magazine. That would save all the hassles of printing, distributing, etc.

Bill

Jeff N.
03-29-2004, 12:14 AM
Totally un-bike related. I'll apologize in advance.
Fired the new .500 S&W Magnum out at a ranch yesterday. Unbelievable off-scale power. More power than my .454 Casull. More than my .500 Linebaugh. More power than my Serotta Legend Ti! I'm just talkin'. Don't kill me. Jeff N.

JohnS
03-29-2004, 08:36 AM
It probably weighs more than your Legend , too (frame and fork). I'm tempted to get a .357 Airlite for backpacking but I wonder about the kick from a 14oz .357.

dnovo
03-29-2004, 09:40 AM
.50 S&W, .357 Mag. Bah, mouse guns. When we were touring the USS Missouri, I saw those 16" 50 cals, with shells that outweighed a 50s Buick, now THAT's a gun!

("Mick, careful, he's got a knife." "Nah, that's not a knife [pulling out his Bowie knife] now THIS is a knife!") Dave N.

Jeff N.
03-29-2004, 09:49 AM
Recoil is snappy, but manageable, especially with 125 grain jhp's. JN

JohnS
03-29-2004, 10:01 AM
Dave, it's a question of portability... :)

Climb01742
03-29-2004, 10:20 AM
i got WHIPLASH!!!! wow, did this thread take a turn. would you guys please signal first, ok? geez, think you're driving in boston, or something? :banana:

Johny
03-29-2004, 01:25 PM
..... the jerk guarantees he could make a profitable and readable magazine drawing solely from people who contribute to this forum. think about it:

editor:jerk (hey its my idea) i'll right an editorial on whatever i want and do bike tests unbeholden to any advertisers and comment on the euro-racing scene...

columnists:
dbrk (one article a month on something strange, old and/or french, one editorial on something new, exciting and visionary), e-richie (one article a month on bike design, construction and what goes into building racing bicycles), dr. doofus, dnovo, climb and sandy will be bike and equipment reviewers. saab will be our man covering the european racing circuit...cause it's his back yard and he knows what racing is about....

jerk

When that day comes, please let me know- I will buy your guys' stocks.