PDA

View Full Version : looking for yellow sidewall tire. Help with options

bianchi10
10-30-2015, 04:20 PM
I was lucky enough to find the last pair of continental GP4000S ii tires in yellow at my bike shop (Possibly in the state or Oregon!) With the winter coming, its time to take off the summer wheels and throw on my winter wheels, but I'm wanting another set of tires that will be durable and also have a yellow sidewall. I DO NOT want a yellow center. Looking for yellow sidewall with standard black center.

have only seen a couple options and those seem to be race style tires that will most likely leave me on the side of the road with every ride replacing tubes. Vitorria open corsa pro tires would be the look I'm after, but must be more durable. Need a 700x23.

Looking to replace these tires and have the same look.
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u30/blknslvrgsxr/IMG_7848-01.jpeg

Joxster
10-30-2015, 04:41 PM
Veloflex - Can close the thread now ;)

Cicli
10-30-2015, 04:48 PM

Veloflex are straight up yellow.
Or yellow with a tan sidewall.

bianchi10
10-30-2015, 04:48 PM
thanks, but those are softer than vittoria's.

Thread still open BTW....lol

Joxster
10-30-2015, 05:11 PM
Ah you're after the poor persons tyres, try clement then ;)

Cicli
10-30-2015, 05:17 PM
Verdstein tricomp?

bianchi10
10-30-2015, 05:23 PM
Ah you're after the poor persons tyres, try clement then ;)

:rolleyes:

yes, I'm looking for poor people tires. Obviously my bike screams poverty.

Cicli
10-30-2015, 05:26 PM

Panhandler.

What about Vittoria Rubinos?

MattTuck
10-30-2015, 05:27 PM
Paging bbdave.

bianchi10
10-30-2015, 05:28 PM
Panhandler.

What about Vittoria Rubinos?

I tried those almost 2 years ago and though they were more durable than the Pro 3's, they didn't last long and still have punctures.

Someone recommended michelin pro 4 ENDURANCE tires. Anyone know anything about those?

Cicli
10-30-2015, 05:33 PM
I think they are the old Lithions? Or similar.

Joxster
10-30-2015, 05:47 PM

It has mechanical crapmano on it, so it's a hack bike ;) Quit bitching and buy veloflex or are you looking for the moon on a stick??!!??

Cicli
10-30-2015, 06:03 PM
It has mechanical crapmano on it, so it's a hack bike ;) Quit bitching and buy veloflex or are you looking for the moon on a stick??!!??

Is this supposed to be funny? :butt:
Paceline is better than that. I want to think you are trying to be funny.

rccardr
10-30-2015, 06:03 PM
I have a pair of new Michelin Pro 3's in yellow that I've been hoarding for a future project that now looks like it won't happen. 23's.

Interested? Drop me a line at rccardr@cox.net. $40 shipped.

bianchi10
10-30-2015, 06:04 PM

I prefer mechanical over the electronic. will have to look into the veloflex a little more, just not sure if its a good winter riding tire.

FlashUNC
10-30-2015, 06:12 PM
Gatorskins are kinda, sorta yellow if you squint hard enough.

Joxster
10-30-2015, 06:15 PM
I prefer mechanical over the electronic. will have to look into the veloflex a little more, just not sure if its a good winter riding tire.

Veloflex is a race tyre as are most tan wall tyres. Maybe you need to look at getting a different bike for the winter, from my experience of Portland the weather can be a bit snowy and rubbish.

Joxster
10-30-2015, 06:16 PM
Is this supposed to be funny? :butt:
Paceline is better than that. I want to think you are trying to be funny.

Which bit offended you?

exapkib
10-30-2015, 06:17 PM
I've had good luck with the Veloflex.

I've also had good luck with Bruce Gordon Rock 'n Roads, but I'm not sure that's exactly what you're looking for. ;)

I've chosen Clement tires (Strada LGG 28s) for my winter rides this year, and have been happy with them so far.

tuscanyswe
10-30-2015, 06:17 PM
gp4000s II are pretty durable tires, why not get the same or use the old ones for winter and buy new for spring perhaps. Id be surprised if you find a tire with tanned or yellow wall that you like to ride and have better durability.

Cicli
10-30-2015, 06:18 PM
Which bit offended you?

I dont know. Thats a killer bike and that guy crapped on it.
Might as well say something bad about my mother.

bianchi10
10-30-2015, 06:20 PM
I have a pair of new Michelin Pro 3's in yellow that I've been hoarding for a future project that now looks like it won't happen. 23's.

Interested? Drop me a line at rccardr@cox.net. $40 shipped.

I appreciate the offer but Not interested in pro 3's.

Joxster
10-30-2015, 06:21 PM
I dont know. Thats a killer bike and that guy crapped on it.
Might as well say something bad about my mother.

Do you ride your best bike through the winter (if you live in Florida then maybe)?

bianchi10
10-30-2015, 06:22 PM
I've had good luck with the Veloflex.

I've also had good luck with Bruce Gordon Rock 'n Roads, but I'm not sure that's exactly what you're looking for. ;)

I've chosen Clement tires (Strada LGG 28s) for my winter rides this year, and have been happy with them so far.

thats good to hear about the veloflex. Feel like everything I hear about them is that they are awesome for racing but super fragile.

bianchi10
10-30-2015, 06:23 PM
Do you ride your best bike through the winter (if you live in Florida then maybe)?

Its the only one I have. I'm not a racer and I dont have the financial means at this point to buy a secondary bike. Might be in the future plans, but as of now I only ride this one.

Cicli
10-30-2015, 06:32 PM

Yeah. In Chicago. Life is too short.

Joxster
10-30-2015, 06:33 PM
Its the only one I have. I'm not a racer and I dont have the financial means at this point to buy a secondary bike. Might be in the future plans, but as of now I only ride this one.

Get a second set of wheels to run through the winter, like racing 7s and look to pick up a 2nd hand bike to run as a training/winter bike. In the long term they're cheaper to replace.

Cicli
10-30-2015, 06:33 PM
thats good to hear about the veloflex. Feel like everything I hear about them is that they are awesome for racing but super fragile.

Veloflex hold up fine to Chicago winters. 10 degrees its not fun to fix a flat. My Masters hold up fine on the Evo.

bianchi10
10-30-2015, 06:36 PM
Get a second set of wheels to run through the winter, like racing 7s and look to pick up a 2nd hand bike to run as a training/winter bike. In the long term they're cheaper to replace.

Yeah I have some Hi-Fi training clinchers. just looking for rubber to put on them. thanks for the help

buldogge
10-30-2015, 06:40 PM
Get the Michelin Pro 4s...Endurance if you want the extra protection.

Might also look at the Schwalbe Lugano (or Ultremo ZX if you want a better ride).

-Mark in St. Louis

bianchi10
10-30-2015, 06:41 PM

Might also look at the Schwalbe Lugano (or Ultremo ZX if you want a better ride).

-Mark in St. Louis

thank you

buldogge
10-30-2015, 06:44 PM
Do you have clearance issues, or just like 23s?

I would recommend using 25s...but...keep in mind the Michelins run "big"...so 23s might be just fine with those.

-Mark

thank you

bianchi10
10-30-2015, 06:50 PM
Haven't had clearance issues in the past, but haven't tried to fit a 25 on this new bike.

Cicli
10-30-2015, 06:54 PM
Haven't had clearance issues in the past, but haven't tried to fit a 25 on this new bike.

My Evo limit is a 25 vittoria on a Archtype on the rear. It works. The front is no issue.

bianchi10
10-30-2015, 06:58 PM
My Evo limit is a 25 vittoria on a Archtype on the rear. It works. The front is no issue.

What tire are you currently using? You gonna be changing for the chicago winter?

Cicli
10-30-2015, 07:16 PM
What tire are you currently using? You gonna be changing for the chicago winter?

Veloflex Master 25's. I will run them untill I cant ride. Usually into the 20's or 10's. I dont have tire issues. Its too cold to ride. If they sand the roads they get shredded over time but dont flat. If they only use salt its not really an issue. They run good. I cut one last winter and just threw on a Pave because I had it.
The tan walls will look like hell but that just makes the new spring tires pop like a new penny.
Dont let anyone tell you veloflex are whimpy tires. They are fine and the ride is supurb.

The Veloflex are slightly narrower than the Vittorias on the wide rims.

buldogge
10-30-2015, 07:33 PM
I love Veloflex Masters...but...those ain't 25s!

-Mark

Cicli
10-30-2015, 07:38 PM
I love Veloflex Masters...but...those ain't 25s!

-Mark

Mine are prety close on the wider rims.

bianchi10
10-30-2015, 08:33 PM
Veloflex Master 25's. I will run them untill I cant ride. Usually into the 20's or 10's. I dont have tire issues. Its too cold to ride. If they sand the roads they get shredded over time but dont flat. If they only use salt its not really an issue. They run good. I cut one last winter and just threw on a Pave because I had it.
The tan walls will look like hell but that just makes the new spring tires pop like a new penny.
Dont let anyone tell you veloflex are whimpy tires. They are fine and the ride is supurb.

Thats really good to hear. Thank you for taking the time to help me out!

bianchi10
10-30-2015, 10:04 PM

-Mark in St. Louis

Been doing some research and it appears that the Endurance is a great durable option but really suffers with grip. Maybe I'm reading info on the original and the V2 is better. Any info on that?

buldogge
10-30-2015, 10:22 PM
Never used them...Only use the Service Course, which I think if just fine.

What about forgoing the yellow and getting some all-black Pave 24s?

-Mark

Been doing some research and it appears that the Endurance is a great durable option but really suffers with grip. Maybe I'm reading info on the original and the V2 is better. Any info on that?

bianchi10
10-30-2015, 10:51 PM
Never used them...Only use the Service Course, which I think if just fine.

What about forgoing the yellow and getting some all-black Pave 24s?

-Mark

I've got 2 pair of gp4000s ii tores that are in fine shape hanging in my garage. after having a telkow/gumwall style tire I don't want to go all black on my bike. If I have to or don't find something I'm willing to spend money on, then I'll do it for little while.

Len J
10-31-2015, 06:31 AM

I have the endurance on my winter wheels. They are not as grippy as the SC's but they are much tougher. It's a trade off. That said, I'm not bombing corners at high speed so the grip isn't as important as it might be in the summer.

Biketiresdirect.com usually has these on sale for under $50... and if you catch a discount, they are even better. I've gotten the SC there for $35.

Len

sandyrs
10-31-2015, 07:21 AM
Another option is the Grand Bois 23mm tire. I've only run their stuff in bigger sizes, and strictly speaking they're tan, not pure yellow, but my experience has been very positive.

oliver1850
10-31-2015, 12:51 PM
From the basement stash.

Avincent52
10-31-2015, 04:50 PM

I love the Veloflexes. They ride great and they're plenty rugged.
They also look great. The tan sidewalls have that old-school tubular look, with the sidewall reflecting the material of the casing. The "yellow" on a lot of Vittorias seems really forced.
And the Continental Gatorskins are kinda brownish, but they don't seem like anything you'd have put on a bike in the L'Eroica era.

bianchi10
10-31-2015, 04:53 PM
From the basement stash.

Never heard of Clement till I posted this question. Can you tell me more about them?

oliver1850
10-31-2015, 07:54 PM
The name has been around forever, well over 100 years. Probably most famous for their Criterium Seta silk tubular of the 1970s.

http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx?ID=71133E86-9298-46DF-B2FE-06C8B9BF9F91&Enum=120&AbsPos=16

Company ownership was originally French but passed to Italy long ago. Pirelli owned the brand at one time. The tires I posted were made in Thailand over 10 years ago. I think current production is in Taiwan under yet another owner. They are popular with the CX crowd but don't have much for road tires.

sandyrs
10-31-2015, 07:57 PM
The name has been around forever, well over 100 years. Probably most famous for their Criterium Seta silk tubular of the 1970s.

http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx?ID=71133E86-9298-46DF-B2FE-06C8B9BF9F91&Enum=120&AbsPos=16

Company ownership was originally French but passed to Italy long ago. Pirelli owned the brand at one time. The tires I posted were made in Thailand over 10 years ago. I think current production is in Taiwan under yet another owner. They are popular with the CX crowd but don't have much for road tires.

Their Strada road tire makes a nice winter trainer with tan sidewalls but it only comes in tan in 25

thirdgenbird
10-31-2015, 08:10 PM
Their Strada road tire makes a nice winter trainer with tan sidewalls but it only comes in tan in 25

28 too. Nice tires

bianchi10
10-31-2015, 09:30 PM

Hmmmm.....maybe this woukd fit within what I'm after then?

bianchi10
11-01-2015, 06:22 PM
Thank you all for your help. I have decided to put my yellow gp4000s tires on my winter wheels and use them through winter. I know them, I trust them and they will do what I need through the winter weather. Between now and spring, I will do some research between Veloflex masters and the challenge strada. Been reading up between the two and I've read both good and bad between them. BUT, I have to remind myself that there will always be a story of bad experience with all products. Lots of variables to consider with each situation.

Again, I appreciate the direction.