PDA

View Full Version : Removing Dried Orange Seal Tire Sealant... Tips/Tricks?

xeladragon
10-30-2015, 02:52 PM
I know I don't have to remove it before putting in new sealant, but I want to. Any tips/tricks on how to do it quickly?

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/643/22427845430_1189615828_b.jpg

cinema
10-30-2015, 03:11 PM
I could be wrong but that looks like a lot of sealant. I usually don't remove it I just add more but unfortunately you'll probably just have to start picking at it by hand. Leave it out for a couple days to dry completely so it comes off easier

xeladragon
10-30-2015, 03:15 PM
I could be wrong but that looks like a lot of sealant. I usually don't remove it I just add more but unfortunately you'll probably just have to start picking at it by hand. Leave it out for a couple days to dry completely so it comes off easier

It's two applications of sealant... one a few months after the other... maybe that's why it looks like a lot? Anyway, I know I can pick it by hand... just wondering if there was a better way.

cinema
10-30-2015, 03:20 PM
try a worn/slighty abrasive shop rag with solvent like simple green or dawn+water

Tony
10-30-2015, 03:25 PM
I peal the old OS off. I don't like adding sealant to old dried out sealant. I work a small section loose than pull gently, pealing large rubbery sections off. I recently switched to Stan's, it lasts longer than OS.

Dead Man
10-30-2015, 03:28 PM
Walmart has a small assortment of hard plastic scrapers/putty knives that I find really useful for cleaning tubular glue n ····. If you have a belt sander, you can shape 'em to the exact profile you need to get into the grooves.... might be helpful to you here.

That does look like a ···· ton of sealant in there..

Gummee
10-30-2015, 04:22 PM
other than weight, why would you?

More puncture protection, etc with it in vs out

M

I Want Sachs?
10-30-2015, 05:06 PM
Stan's is hard to peel off. Small strands and pieces comes off, but not easy to get large sheet off.

Mikej
10-30-2015, 07:04 PM
I heard just water will help to remove OS

Dead Man
10-30-2015, 07:10 PM
If I remember 7th grade sex ed right, mineral oil deteriorates latex....

xeladragon
10-30-2015, 09:27 PM
Quick update: took me a while to peel off all the dried up (but a little moist still) sealant in the front tire pictured above. For the rear tire, I let the sealant dry up more before peeling... and I got it all off in one piece! And a lot faster too. No tools needed.

lhuerta
10-30-2015, 09:28 PM
Gotta ask, why would h apply SO MUCH sealant??? Also, riding your bike more often will prolong the life off your sealant...i.e. the cement truck/agitator effect.

xeladragon
10-30-2015, 09:37 PM
Gotta ask, why would h apply SO MUCH sealant??? Also, riding your bike more often will prolong the life off your sealant...i.e. the cement truck/agitator effect.

Comparing the amount of sealant I removed from the front and rear tires, it seemed like there was less in the rear... I dunno why. But they each had, I think, about 40ml of sealant... (20ml 2x)? Whatever the recommended amount for road tires is, that's what I put in.

avalonracing
10-30-2015, 09:44 PM
That makes me want to use tubes forever.

HillDancer
10-31-2015, 12:46 AM
The color & texture of the latex residue in the first image doesn't look like Orange Seal coating within my tires. In the image below, the casing on the left had very little residue after a year, and the color of the thin film remaining is pink, though the image's color reproduction doesn't show it. The casing on the right shows solidified latex after a couple years and more than a few sealant recharges; note the color is orange.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-wmtA0HPCbxQ/VIczPHLn6iI/AAAAAAAABew/fdsqMgjvq7U/s400-Ic42/P1030106.JPG

I've replaced other long term tires used with Orange Seal, and again, no artifacts looking anything like the OP's.

xeladragon
10-31-2015, 06:46 AM
The color & texture of the latex residue in the first image doesn't look like Orange Seal coating within my tires. In the image below, the casing on the left had very little residue after a year, and the color of the thin film remaining is pink, though the image's color reproduction doesn't show it. The casing on the right shows solidified latex after a couple years and more than a few sealant recharges; note the color is orange.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-wmtA0HPCbxQ/VIczPHLn6iI/AAAAAAAABew/fdsqMgjvq7U/s400-Ic42/P1030106.JPG

I've replaced other long term tires used with Orange Seal, and again, no artifacts looking anything like the OP's.

Well... I dunno what to tell ya... It's definitely Orange Seal. Maybe the physical difference is weather/temperature- related? The dried sealant in my rear tire looked like your left pic though... A thin dried layer all the way around. And in both tires, there was an orange liquid that I soaked up with paper towels first.

Anyway, yeah... Removing the dried sealant is a minor PITA... But I didn't have a single flat all year on the Zanc... And I think the ride quality is better than any clincher that I've tried. Looking forward to trying the Schwalbe Pro One at some point.

cinema
10-31-2015, 10:35 AM
i bet your hypothesis about weather conditions is correct, i'd also add frequency of use to the culprit. If you are riding a lot then after two-three sealant recharges the tires should be toast ie about a year, no? i bet where you store your bicycle also has something to do with this. i had 2-3 ounces of sealant in 3" tires here in dry dusty temperature and, probably because i stored them inside my apartment, not outside or a garage. over a year later there was still liquid sealant rolling around inside.

also note the inside of the gents tires above are gumwall and therefore the sealant is less visible

on my tubeless wheels i would never return to tubes no matter what and i'd put the ride quality above sew ups.