PDA

View Full Version : Mounted first set of tubular tires...

Ozz
05-22-2006, 12:07 PM
this past weekend. It went surprisingly well. I followed the instructions by "theoldman" in this thread: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=72

The hardest part was putting three layers of glue on the rim, holding the wheel, squeezing the glue, moving wheel to next section. I figure putting the wheel in a stand would make it easier. I also found it was easier to put glue on finger and then apply to rim.

Putting the glue on the base tape seemed to go much easier, which surprised me cuz I thought it would be harder. Maybe I just got better at smearing glue without making a mess?

Centering the tire on the rim was easier than I thought it was going to be. The glue still had some "play" in it for a couple minutes that let me move the tire around a little Prestretching the tire real well helped I am sure.

The wheels are Mavic Reflex 32h rims, Chorus hubs, DT Revolution spokes, with Competitions on drive side rear hub. Tires are Dugast Strada's (cotton casing).

I will be taking them for a ride this coming weekend...the rain should lessen by then.

I do have a question for those with more tubular experience. It seems that most tubular tires I find run between 20mm and 22mm wide. Mine (I believe) are 21mm. I find this odd since the 23mm seems to be the standard width for clinchers. Can you get away with narrower tires with tubies?

I weigh a shade under 180 lbs....should I be looking at different tires? Just curious on your thoughts.

Thanks.

Too Tall
05-22-2006, 01:18 PM
Ozz. I use my ancient Park bike stand to clamp the non drive axel..catch the last nut and the wheel can spin.

Another perfectly good method is to rest the axel on your bench top and press the free end against your crusty shop apron ;)

Use a plastic sandwich bag and use it like a glove. Latex painters gloves are not good as the glue likes to attack it! The plastic on sandwich bags is pretty resistant to sticking. Put a drop of glue between each spoke hole and keep the wheel moving...do the entire wheel first THAN spread glue..move briskly. If you don't put too much down you won't have runs and drips. Now use your finger thru the corner of the baggie to spread the glue edge to edge. At this point it ain't rocket science. Get the glue spread quickly. Wipe any drips with a clean rag and worry about clean up after the glue dries (just pick it off...no solvent).

No, you should use whatever width that works for you. Tubulars are much less prone to pinch flats but that is no excuse to run a narrower tyre. Judge what you need by past experience in tyre volume. Some tyres are much deeper and that is not measured on the sidewall. An example of a tyre with a great volume are the Clemente Paris Roubaix and Gomitallia Espressos....beefy!

Dewd, hit the Lotto? Dang. Let us know how the Dugasts roll.

terrytnt
05-22-2006, 01:28 PM
Sounds like you did just fine. I've used tubies for many years and learned 2 really helpful tips with installation. First, ALWAYS inflate your new tubies for at least 24 hours before mounting (without glue on your rim). Then practice a quick mount onto your 'clean' rim to confirm the fit... should be quite easy. And second, use your finger to spead the glue evenly, both on the rim and tire. Be very careful what you touch with that hand. Have mineral spirits handy to clean your hand before mounting.

YES, tubies run narrower. That's one reason I try to use a rim somewhat narrower than Reflex, however, reflex is fine. Been using Reflex for years and they're quite durable.

Have a new set of Campy Neutrons on the way to try something quite different.

Good luck with your tubular... if you're like most, you'll never go back! :D

MartyE
05-22-2006, 02:04 PM
I use truing stand to hold the rim, tube of glue in one hand
and sandwich bag wrapped finger on the other. I don't apply glue
to the entire wheel, I usually apply to 2 or 3 sections between spoke
holes and spread glue then move to the next series of sections.
I don't apply glue around the valve hole, not sure where I picked that
up idea.

Welcome to the dark side

Marty

flydhest
05-22-2006, 02:08 PM
I don't apply glue around the valve hole, not sure where I picked that up idea.

prolly from the guys on Nottrott who had to wait from my to force a lever in there because I had glued it too well.

BigDaddySmooth
05-23-2006, 07:28 AM
Welcome to the dark side

After going tubbie a decade ago, I finally wised up and went w/ Veloflex (Criterium). Nice! The dark side just got darker. :beer:

Marty[/QUOTE]

stevep
05-23-2006, 07:45 AM
first glued tubular.
could read...
" help, my hand was stuck to the garage door and the electric opener went off...i am now stuck in the top of the garage... send help soon... i only have one sandwich left." or maybe..." shoes stuck to garage floor and feet stuck in shoes... need my laptop out here and i should be good for a few days anyway.."

nice job. you will like the wheels.