PDA

View Full Version : Dumb/controversial question Friday: Carbon bars and shock absorbtion

Lewis Moon
10-30-2015, 10:43 AM
So...I'm trying to use a full on race CX frame (Ridley X-Night) as a gravel/adventure frame. It was cheeep and I have the Ridley geometry/fit dialed. I love everything about the frame but the ride at the front end. It's a LOT stiffer than my X-Fire or my Hodala (now gone). all of them having the same bar/stem combo.
Would a wiiiiide set of carbon bars make my teeth chatter less? Not interested in shock absorbing stems or foot thick bar tape.

guido
10-30-2015, 10:46 AM
What are you using for tires/pressure?

Lewis Moon
10-30-2015, 10:50 AM

700x33 Clements at ~45# (I weigh 185). It's not the tires. I swap wheels between my bikes. The frame has a stiffer front end.

ptourkin
10-30-2015, 10:50 AM

This. I lust after a set of Thomson KFC bars for my PsychloX but I've always observed the dictum to only race carbon bars for CX if you get them for free or never crash and that rules me out.

Tires and pressure will be a much greater influence than a set of bars.

Mark McM
10-30-2015, 10:52 AM
This question was addressed by Lennerd Zinn's Velonews column a few years ago. Zinn put the question to several carbon handlebar makers, and most of them responded that carbon fiber is very stiff, so carbon fibers would likely have less shock absorption than aluminum bars. Most carbon bar manufacturers recommended looking at the bar tape or the tire pressure instead.

Lewis Moon
10-30-2015, 10:56 AM
This. I lust after a set of Thomson KFC bars for my PsychloX but I've always observed the dictum to only race carbon bars for CX if you get them for free or never crash and that rules me out.

Tires and pressure will be a much greater influence than a set of bars.

Tire pressure: see above. I'm not going to go much less than 45# on clinchers in AZ. Our trails and dirt roads are a lot more boney than the glaciated landscapes of the north east.
Like I said in the original post, this is an adventure/gravel bike. The X-fire is my CX bike.

Lewis Moon
10-30-2015, 10:57 AM
This question was addressed by Lennerd Zinn's Velonews column a few years ago. Zinn put the question to several carbon handlebar makers, and most of them responded that carbon fiber is very stiff, so carbon fibers would likely have less shock absorption than aluminum bars. Most carbon bar manufacturers recommended looking at the bar tape or the tire pressure instead.

^^^This is data I need. Thanks.

thwart
10-30-2015, 10:58 AM
Would a wiiiiide set of carbon bars make my teeth chatter less?
Why would width matter? Carbon bars will likely damp a bit of the chatter.

I've tuned stiff frames with 'softer' wheels/tires and even a slight change of stem/bar height to rotate a bit more weight back onto the saddle. Different fork may help as well.

guido
10-30-2015, 11:04 AM
Another thing to think about is your saddle to bar drop. If you have more weight on your hands that could account for the feeling of a harder front end.

You also probably spend a lot more time on the gravel/adventure rides than you do on CX races which could be a big factor too.

For the record i like softer non heat treated aluminum bars for gravel/adventure riding.

bicycletricycle
10-30-2015, 11:08 AM
Carbon may damp high frequency vibration but it is stiff so it will not make the bike smoother on ruff stuff.

Smaller diameter metal parts will flex more. 26.0 Deda bars and a smaller diameter metal stem will add more cushion/flex to your ride.

Lewis Moon
10-30-2015, 11:10 AM
Another thing to think about is your saddle to bar drop. If you have more weight on your hands that could account for the feeling of a harder front end.

You also probably spend a lot more time on the gravel/adventure rides than you do on CX races which could be a big factor too.

For the record i like softer non heat treated aluminum bars for gravel/adventure riding.

Would that include the SOMA Highway 1 bars? I was a bit worried that the extra weight (about 70 - 80 grams more than my Ergonovas) might be there to stiffen up the 6061.
Wider bars should be more flexible. Physics.

Lewis Moon
10-30-2015, 11:12 AM
Carbon may damp high frequency vibration but it is stiff so it will not make the bike smoother on ruff stuff.

Smaller diameter metal parts will flex more. 26.0 Deda bars and a smaller diameter metal stem will add more cushion/flex to your ride.

So basically...the Deda 35s are off the table? (smirky face)

ptourkin
10-30-2015, 11:14 AM
Tire pressure: see above. I'm not going to go much less than 45# on clinchers in AZ. Our trails and dirt roads are a lot more boney than the glaciated landscapes of the north east.
Like I said in the original post, this is an adventure/gravel bike. The X-fire is my CX bike.

Gotcha.

JAGI410
10-30-2015, 11:25 AM
I use On-One Knuckleball carbon bars on my fatbike. These are available in "hard" and "chewy" versions. The chewy version has a noticeable and appreciated flex to it. Whatever they did to allow the "give" of the bars could likely be applied to drop bars without any drop in response or control. Since these bars exist, it's hard to judge that all carbon bars are stiff and transmit shock.

Side data point: Carbon bars are "warmer" in the winter than aluminum bars.

guido
10-30-2015, 11:29 AM
I've not used the Highway 1 bar so i can't comment.

Sometimes on bars over 44cm, the manufacturers will heat treat the bar which makes them stronger but also seems to stiffen them up (like Nitto). Soma doesn't say so I'm assuming they don't...

I actually like narrower bars with the low trail front ends I like for gravel/adventure. I don't find them too stiff...

Would that include the SOMA Highway 1 bars? I was a bit worried that the extra weight (about 70 - 80 grams more than my Ergonovas) might be there to stiffen up the 6061.
Wider bars should be more flexible. Physics.

thwart
10-30-2015, 11:39 AM
Side data point: Carbon bars are "warmer" in the winter than aluminum bars.
Ergos too. Makes a noticeable difference, IMO.

Lewis Moon
10-30-2015, 11:43 AM
I found THIS (https://fairwheelbikes.com/c/reviews-and-testing/road-handlebar-review/) to be informative. I, however, will NOT be buying a set of Zipp SLs.

...and then there's that pesky need for compact with no flare.

everbeek
10-30-2015, 02:02 PM

I remember this as well, but it might not have been Zinn and Velonews though. Three carbon bar manufacturer representatives; two said their bars would transmit more shock (less shock absorption) one said it would transmit less.
-Mike

oldpotatoe
10-30-2015, 02:09 PM
So...I'm trying to use a full on race CX frame (Ridley X-Night) as a gravel/adventure frame. It was cheeep and I have the Ridley geometry/fit dialed. I love everything about the frame but the ride at the front end. It's a LOT stiffer than my X-Fire or my Hodala (now gone). all of them having the same bar/stem combo.
Would a wiiiiide set of carbon bars make my teeth chatter less? Not interested in shock absorbing stems or foot thick bar tape.

No..different tires/psi would but not a carbon handlebar, all else being equal.

Tin Turtle
10-30-2015, 02:42 PM
I went to carbon for the flatter/wider area on the top of the bar. To help with wrist/palm fatigue.

shovelhd
10-30-2015, 02:50 PM
I found THIS (https://fairwheelbikes.com/c/reviews-and-testing/road-handlebar-review/) to be informative. I, however, will NOT be buying a set of Zipp SLs.

...and then there's that pesky need for compact with no flare.

Concerned about your holeshot starts?

Peter P.
10-30-2015, 04:42 PM
You want a handlebar with a smaller diameter at the clamp section. That will increase the flex as that's where the greatest torque load is. Small increases in diameter lead to significant increases in stiffness, so upgrading from a 26.0 bar to a 31.8 is a lot. Of course, you'll have to swap the stem to fit the bars.

Sounds like the fork is stiffer than your other bikes' forks. A more compliant fork might increase the possibility of fork chatter.

Unfortunately, the only other options left are those you aren't interested in such as tires and handlebar tape.