PDA

View Full Version : Maximum Rider Weight for Enve 1.25 Wheelset

Splash
10-30-2015, 06:10 AM
Hi All.

Looking into the ENVE 1.25s built 20/28 into some Alchemy hubs at around 1015 grams total.

What would be the maximum rider weight for this wheel set before they become unsafe, flex too much on a very steep hill scent and descent?

Splash

ergott
10-30-2015, 06:25 AM
Tough since weight isn't the only factor. I would say north of 200 and you might want to look elsewhere. That doesn't mean they can't handle more. It depends on road conditions,terrain, power generated by the rider, and how smooth the rider is on the bike.

happycampyer
10-30-2015, 06:34 AM
I was going to say more or less the same thing as Eric. The 1.25 rim is deceptively strong, especially given its weight. As strong if not stronger than any box-section aluminum rim. Unless you are looking for the absolute lightest wheels, the 3.4 is probably a better all around wheelset.

Vamoots58
10-30-2015, 08:50 AM
around the Classic 25 tubular rims. I weigh 185. CX-Ray spokes. I never noticed any issues with flex and have zero concerns about their durability. Great rims!! Not sure if the new 2.2 SES are somewhat stringer given their wider width. The may well offer a better mounting surface for 25mm tubulars than the classics.

jr59
10-30-2015, 08:56 AM
Why not write Enve and ask them

Splash
10-30-2015, 04:20 PM
Thanks guys.

Vamoots - how are your wheels up steep long hills? Can you feel the less weight advantage and how well do they perform on the steep down descents?

The 2.2 SES seems to big on the 25mm tubular pitch and the optimal contact patch. How do you guys feel about the 2.2 SES on long steep inclines/declines?

As I already have the SES 6.7's, I was wanting to look at lightweight but stiff hill climbers as well (and nothing in between).

Splash

k(id)
11-03-2015, 11:17 AM
I just got a set of the 2.2 tubulars laced to the new Enve carbon hubs. They are unreal. All the typical cliches, but, yes.... stiff, responsive, stable down & featherweight heading up. The weight savings over the 3.4s, 4.5s, and 6.7s is dramatic. I don't feel any aero penalties vs. the 3.4s, but on the flat they suffer a bit when pushing wind compared to the 4.5s and 6.7s. The item I noticed the most was the ridiculously fast acceleration and matching of other riders attempting to pull off the front. I can't recommend them enough.

-kellen

Splash
11-04-2015, 11:45 AM
I ENVE You k(id)!

You have just described my dream wheelset for hill climbing. I want it.

Can i ask what tires you are using for this wheelset (width and brand)?

How is the breaking performance on the steep hill declines?

Do the new ENve carbon hubs have cult bearings?

How do you find the rolling resistance?

SPlash

k(id)
11-05-2015, 08:22 AM
Thanks! I feel very fortunate :)

I'm using Continental Competition 25's. I also have a modern steel road bike, and was SHOCKED by how comfortable my Cannondale was w/ these new hoops and tubular set-up. Just so supple and smooth. My impression is that the breaking performance is improved over the standard Enve brake-track. They make a somewhat strange sound, due to the nail-file-like texture, but you get used to it and the bite is fantastic. I haven't ridden them in the wet, so can't speak to their performance there yet. The Enve hubs have CeramicSpeed bearings, and they just keep going and going and going.

Potentially sacrilege, but I spend a fair amount of time training indoors on resistance rollers. If I didn't, I'd sell off my 3.4 clinchers in a heartbeat and ride only the 2.2s on the Cannondale. Like I said, you notice the aero penalty a bit compared w/ the deeper section Enve's, but versus the 3.4s, I will take the 2.2s w/ the carbon hubs in any conditions on any day over any road profile outdoors.

If you're at all on the fence in wanting to land a set, I'd push you over toward yes, do it! do it now! immediately. They're stunning.

-kellen

Splash
11-06-2015, 04:59 PM
Thanks K(id).

Yes, I have researched this wheelset for some time, and I tried to look elsewhere for better spec but kept on returning to these 2.2's.

Have ridden 25mm wide rims previously?

How do you think the 25mm internal depth rims (with 27mm outer) stacks up to 23mm wheel rims?

Splash

k(id)
11-06-2015, 08:24 PM
definitely notice the increased stability and comfort on the rear wheel. front end feels the same.