PDA

View Full Version : Anyone following the MotoGP?

Tony
10-29-2015, 10:42 AM
Wow, what a battle between Rossi, who's leading in points and Marquez at the Malaysian GP. I don't think Rossi intended to take out Marquez, just slow him down while he had the better line? The race direction has "imposed three penalty points on Valentino Rossi for irresponsible riding, that is, deliberately causing contact. Deliberately running wide in a corner in order to try and force another rider off line. The result was a crash and so it痴 irresponsible riding causing a crash and for that we have imposed three penalty points on Rossi." The last race in Valencia will be something to watch!

TimD
10-29-2015, 01:56 PM
Following this, though my main motorsport interests are land speed racing, Indycar, F1, and whatever the WEC is now called.

Consensus seems to be that Marquez was deliberately impeding Rossi in order to help Lorenzo.

Good article my Matt Oxley (with many comments) here:
http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/race/motogp-race/the-sepang-incident/

Are you watching the events in the US and, if so, through what medium?

witcombusa
10-29-2015, 04:24 PM
Marquez is playing games with the wrong world champion. Good for Val for helping to show the kid the error of his ways. I just love self 'policing' practices :hello:

Gonna be one hell of a season finale

Tony
10-29-2015, 06:01 PM
Consensus seems to be that Marquez was deliberately impeding Rossi in order to help Lorenzo.

Are you watching the events in the US and, if so, through what medium?

He was deliberately impeding Rossi, and this was not the first time.
Yes, watching in the US on FSI

commonguy001
10-29-2015, 06:18 PM
As a VR46 fan since the early 2000s I'm completely bias but Marquez got aggressive with the wrong rider at the completely wrong time.

The biggest shame IMO is Rossi having to start at the back of the grid. Justice would be the entire field parting like the red sea when the lights go out and Rossi being allowed to race for the championship.
What is going to happen is nothing more than the FIM gifting Lorenzo the championship.

tuscanyswe
10-29-2015, 06:24 PM
Its such a poor decision about placing rossi at the back, not only cause i want rossi to win yet another trophy but regardless i want to c the 2 potential champions side by side battling for it.

Something like in 09 would be a fitting ending to the season.
Remember this: https://vimeo.com/32756097

Pretty amazing stuff to watch!

DrSpoke
10-29-2015, 06:28 PM
I'm a big fan of MotoGP. From high to low in 8 days. I definitely lean to the Rossi perspective of the situation.

Bstone
10-29-2015, 07:04 PM
I remember in the 80s when all of the top riders had to know how to slide the front and rear tires on 500 two strokes of the era because the tires only lasted for half of the races. Those races were crazy to watch.

Lawson, Spencer, Mamola, Rainey, Swantz, etc. The only european that would run close was that french guy (somebody help me out).

I just can't like the modern version as much, even though I have tried.

Ever since Honda changed their bike around to suit Dani Pedrosa by introducing traction control even though Nicky Hayden was Honda's reigning world champion. And could slide that bad boy around just fine thank you. And win.

Similar comparison with Grand Prix motor racing. The early 80's had ground effects and turbo motors producing over 1000 hp in qualifying (not at the same time).

I like the modern racing, but for old fashioned hair raising freakishness, there really is no comparison.

witcombusa
10-29-2015, 07:26 PM
[QUOTE=Bstone;1850833]I remember in the 80s when all of the top riders had to know how to slide the front and rear tires on 500 two strokes of the era because the tires only lasted for half of the races. Those races were crazy to watch.

Lawson, Spencer, Mamola, Rainey, Swantz, etc. The only european that would run close was that french guy (somebody help me out).

Ever since Honda changed their bike around to suit Dani Pedrosa by introducing traction control even though Nicky Hayden was Honda's reigning world champion. And could slide that bad boy around just fine thank you. And win.

Similar comparison with Grand Prix motor racing. The early 80's had ground effects and turbo motors producing over 1000 hp in qualifying (not at the same time).I like the modern racing, but for old fashioned hair raising freakishness, there really is no comparison.[/

QUOTE]

Jean-Michel Bayle

I agree, the old 500 2-stroke GP bikes were the best. Few riders ever really mastered them that weren't former dirt racers because of the need to be sliding almost continuously. Anyone remember the wheelie show with King Kenny and Randy @ Laguna in around '84 or '85? Simply unbelievable

And though it is not remotely the same thing, my '85 replica Yamaha RZ500 sure is great fun

regularguy412
10-29-2015, 08:52 PM
Bicycle racing buddy of mine just sold an '89 CB900 that was hogged out to 1000 and had side-draft Mikunis. He still has a 650 Hawk, Yamaha FJR and an F1. So, yeah, I'm following.

Watched replays of the 'incident' from different angles. 'Kinnnnnnda' looked like Rossi did extend his left foot out toward the brake pedal on Marquez' bike, but ya really couldn't see if he touched him or not. Marquez just went down. Almost like he faked getting hit.

Yeah. I'm a Rossi fan, but it sure is gonna suck if Whiner Marquez' antics end up throwing the world championship. Marquez is a much less-polished rider. He's always slinging the bike around and not being smooth. That's why he's crashed out of so many races this year.

Maybe we can hope for rain in Spain for the finale'. We all know who can handle the wet best. ;)

Mike in AR:beer:

onsight512
10-29-2015, 09:07 PM
I'm a Rossi fan, but honestly was a little disappointed with how he's been acting this past week. It seems like he cracked on Sunday.

I'm hoping for a herculean effort in Valencia so he gets that 10th title, but I'm not holding my breath. Seems like it's over.

r_mutt
10-29-2015, 10:08 PM
I think the French rider you are referring to is Christian Sarron. He also had a brother who raced as well - Dominique. Bayle was more early to late 90's.

Marquez broke one of the the unwritten rules of racing- and that is don't get in the way of the championship contenders if you're not in the fight for the championship. Whatever- I get that Marquez is fighting for a rostrum place, and shouldnt just roll over, but seriously, did anyone who is of sane mind think that Marquez wasn't faster and wasnt blocking Rossi on purpose? Fwiw, Marquez wasn't trying to help Lorenzo as much as he was trying to make Rossi lose. Josh Brookes of BSB fame said it best- and I paraphrase, "the question isn't if Rossi put him into the run-off intentionally, it's what took him so long to do it?". As Julian Ryder said, this isn't over. I expect this to continue into next year. Payback is a bit@h.

ofcounsel
10-29-2015, 10:29 PM
I agree Marquez was up to no good. But unfortunately for Rossi, he let his emotions get to him. He shouldn't have let himself get to the point where he could be accused of punting Marquez.

oldpotatoe
10-30-2015, 05:51 AM
Wow, what a battle between Rossi, who's leading in points and Marquez at the Malaysian GP. I don't think Rossi intended to take out Marquez, just slow him down while he had the better line? The race direction has "imposed three penalty points on Valentino Rossi for irresponsible riding, that is, deliberately causing contact. Deliberately running wide in a corner in order to try and force another rider off line. The result was a crash and so it痴 irresponsible riding causing a crash and for that we have imposed three penalty points on Rossi." The last race in Valencia will be something to watch!

I stopped when they got rid of these.

r_mutt
10-30-2015, 11:54 AM
that YZR still looks good to my eye today.

mcteague
10-30-2015, 12:21 PM
I follow it a bit but did notice this dust up. I tend to agree with #46's statement that you cannot kick a motorcycle hard enough to make it go down, surely not without equally knocking your own bike off line.

I am at least glad to see Rossi returning to winning form after his terrible time with Ducati.

Tim

choke
10-30-2015, 01:26 PM
Interesting that pretty much everyone sides with Rossi. It seems clear to me that regardless whether Marquez was doing something or not that Rossi was completely wrong to take him out. This wasn't a 'racing incident', it was a deliberate action to push him off the track. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDsosN6vtJk

I've lost a lot of respect for Rossi.

Tony
10-30-2015, 02:57 PM
Interesting that pretty much everyone sides with Rossi. It seems clear to me that regardless whether Marquez was doing something or not that Rossi was completely wrong to take him out. This wasn't a 'racing incident', it was a deliberate action to push him off the track. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDsosN6vtJk

I believe this statement from Rossi. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB3GDqnHAVE He didn't plan on taking out Marquez, just slow him down. Marquez was playing the same game as in Phillip Island, helping Rossi's rival Lorenzo. The Honda has more power in the straights, yet Marquez "didn't open the throttle"? I think Rossi had enough and wanted to check him, not take him out.

wallymann
10-30-2015, 03:10 PM

this. vale lost the plot in the days leading up to this race.

the things he accused marquez of, combined with the run-ins they had earlier this season, GUARANTEED that this would happen.

words and acts of desperation in the press-room, followed up by acts of frustration on the track.

Tony
10-30-2015, 03:19 PM
The Race Direction after studying the incident accepted the contact was not deliberate, but gave him three points for the contact.

r_mutt
10-30-2015, 09:54 PM
words and acts of desperation in the press-room, followed up by acts of frustration on the track.

you mean when someone is intentionally going slower to block you for for 2 consecutive races to make you lose the championship? that's ungentlemanly, unsportsmanlike, and is a straight up di@k head move. when i raced motorcycles, i raced to win, not to make others lose. can you imagine in bicycle racing if a team put 5 guys at the front of a race to block and aggressively slow the pace down to try and get the break to succeed? what if that team that was doing that not because they had a teammate in the break, but they didn't want a certain guy to win the sprint? that team would be put in the gutter faster than you can blink- and everyone would say that they were asking for it.

i think josh brookes said it best:

"MM was riding like a dick to block VR. VR gave him looks of warning & MM didn't accept. You try ride on outside & catch, it's what happens"

"Yes VR intentionally ran wide to make a statement.... but MM had more options than the one he chose to take".

"MM could've turned back & got up the inside but he stayed outside & continued to push on VR, then fell onto him, that dragged VR's leg off"

"I think we need to focus on the real crime here. Why was VR a gentlemen for so long. He should have grassed him a lot earlier"

sorry - but if you intentionally mess with someone (rossi) that long, you get what's coming to you.

can you imagine what it's going to be like next year if M\marquez is fighting it out for the championship and if rossi isn't in the hunt? i would expect rossi to give him a taste of his own medicine. let's see how Marquez will react to that.

Rusty Luggs
10-31-2015, 09:04 AM
On the outside, overlapped and behind, on corner exit = not a wise place to be.

downtube
10-31-2015, 09:30 AM
[QUOTE=Bstone;1850833]I remember in the 80s when all of the top riders had to know how to slide the front and rear tires on 500 two strokes of the era because the tires only lasted for half of the races. Those races were crazy to watch.

Similar comparison with Grand Prix motor racing. The early 80's had ground effects and turbo motors producing over 1000 hp in qualifying (not at the same time).I like the modern racing, but for old fashioned hair raising freakishness, there really is no comparison.[/

QUOTE]

Jean-Michel Bayle

I agree, the old 500 2-stroke GP bikes were the best. Few riders ever really mastered them that weren't former dirt racers because of the need to be sliding almost continuously. Anyone remember the wheelie show with King Kenny and Randy @ Laguna in around '84 or '85? Simply unbelievable

And though it is not remotely the same thing, my '85 replica Yamaha RZ500 sure is great fun

Love your RZ500, I got a chance to ride one a long time ago. That was a very exciting bike. The 70's and 80's were a fun time for motorcycle racing. The Dirt Miles, the road courses, the bigger than life riders, it was so much fun. I was lucky enough to have a couple friends that raced and ran teams in the big leagues, which allowed me some incredible access to the paddock and to hear a lot of great stories.

malcolm
10-31-2015, 09:38 AM
Don't really keep up with motoGP that much any more. Glad to hear el doctore is back
Thought I'd share what I think is the best 8 minutes of Rossi ever, maybe the best in motoGP

https://vimeo.com/32756097

Tony
10-31-2015, 10:48 AM
I was at a brewery here in sacto watching that race, won $20.00 ;)

Loved the battles between Rossi and Casey Stoner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY9mrKR5SkA

malcolm
10-31-2015, 11:12 AM
I was at a brewery here in sacto watching that race, won $20.00 ;)

Loved the battles between Rossi and Casey Stoner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY9mrKR5SkA

Those were some great races. I like stoner but love Rossi. I mostly quit watching when he moved to ducati, but to me Rossi is motoGP he is beautiful on a road bike