PDA

View Full Version : N-1 Madness or putting a bike on ice

eippo1
10-29-2015, 08:57 AM
So this morning I was eating a stale donut and started thinking crazy. I have a nice Dean roadie, a Bianchi 928, and a Salsa Warbird. Now I have some Shimano CX75 hubs and WTB Frequency CX hubs on the way for the Warbird. The intent is that the Archetype wheels will run wide road tires while the new wheelset will take the Clement MSO 40's and the Michelin Jets.

So now I'm thinking that I have no need for the Bianchi and should just part it out and throw the frameset into a box for later (it has been repaired, so it's worthless to anyone but me:crap:). Then I have my road needs covered and can get my MTB out of storage and actually ride it sometimes. Oh and the part where I get money for parts helps too.

Is this just crazy talk or have others done similar? Is my unwillingness to actually just sell the Bianchi and rather box it proof of this nuttiness? :help:

The Bianchi
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c271/eippo1/bikes/overallbike_zps911895c6.jpg (http://s29.photobucket.com/user/eippo1/media/bikes/overallbike_zps911895c6.jpg.html)

And here is the Warbird that is kind of apples to oranges:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c271/eippo1/bikes/warbird1_pl_zps2a363029.jpg (http://s29.photobucket.com/user/eippo1/media/bikes/warbird1_pl_zps2a363029.jpg.html)

eBAUMANN
10-29-2015, 08:59 AM
If you aren't emotionally attached, why not just try and sell it? If it doesn't sell, box it and sell the parts. Sounds like a good plan to me if you are limited for space.

eippo1
10-29-2015, 09:19 AM
If you aren't emotionally attached, why not just try and sell it? If it doesn't sell, box it and sell the parts. Sounds like a good plan to me if you are limited for space.

True, but I'd want the crank off of the Bianchi for the Dean, and now that I think about it I do have a bit of an irrational attachment to the bike. It was just a tool before I got it repaired, but since then it's a bit different. It's also the last lugged carbon bike Bianchi made and rides quite nicely for a 10 year old carbon bike. I may just hang it on the wall and build it back up in a few years.

EPIC! Stratton
10-29-2015, 12:57 PM
Another option - if you have family you visit regularly or a vacation home, take it and leave it there.

chiasticon
10-29-2015, 01:09 PM
I have a bianchi sempre that's been hanging on a hook for two years now. similarly, I think it's worth more to me than others, even though I feel like it's a tad to big for me. however, I put 15K miles on it, so it can't be that bad, right? anyway, I shelved it in favor of another road bike and the parts migrated there. I've thought about re-building it to see if the fit works or if I should just sell but...I haven't.

for me, having one road bike is enough since I only ride it about four months out of the year; basically the time between winter/fender season and cross season. so I understand where you're coming from. I say if you need the parts for another build or to fund another build, go for it. i.e. try to keep bike funds spent on bike stuff, not on pizza or something (unless you, like, really need money for pizza).

AngryScientist
10-29-2015, 01:26 PM
if you actually ride a lot of road miles, that Bianchi is, I donnno, 1-million times better for that than the salsa. so yea, you're crazy. keep the proper roadie for riding on the road.

eippo1
10-29-2015, 01:44 PM
if you actually ride a lot of road miles, that Bianchi is, I donnno, 1-million times better for that than the salsa. so yea, you're crazy. keep the proper roadie for riding on the road.

Well I've also got this guy that I put most of my road miles on. I set up the Bianchi with lower gearing just so I use it more often for hilly rides, but I prefer the ride of the Dean. I'd keep the Bianchi for crap weather, but I usually end up taking the Salsa in that case.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c271/eippo1/dean%20up1_zpsm1rp0npz.jpg (http://s29.photobucket.com/user/eippo1/media/dean%20up1_zpsm1rp0npz.jpg.html)

AngryScientist
10-29-2015, 01:45 PM
ahh, i missed that you had another roadie.

carry on with the plan then.

thirdgenbird
10-29-2015, 02:31 PM
I'm in the same boat :)

I tore down my Yokota and colnago to build a singular osprey that could fill both needs with two different wheelsets.

The colnago frameset is for sale. The parts went on the osprey.

The Yokota frameset went in a box. A few of the parts went on the osprey. Some parts will be sold and a few will also be out on a shelf.

The difference? The colnago has way more resale value than emotional attachment. The Yokota has very little resale value and some attachment.

sandyrs
10-29-2015, 02:51 PM
Get rid of the Bianchi, 52/36 on the Dean, all set!

rugbysecondrow
10-29-2015, 02:52 PM
I have a custom Bedford I don't ride anymore. It is a road bike, skinnier tires, and I just don't ride like that now. I do not want to get rid of the frame, I loved getting it made, working with Smiley and Kelly, but I also hate that it takes up real estate in my garage. The money from selling it isn't a motivator. Maybe a framebox and storing it in the attic is a good option. Maybe a display box and turning it into wall art.

If this is my problem, life is pretty damn good, right?

eippo1
10-29-2015, 08:35 PM
I have a custom Bedford I don't ride anymore. It is a road bike, skinnier tires, and I just don't ride like that now. I do not want to get rid of the frame, I loved getting it made, working with Smiley and Kelly, but I also hate that it takes up real estate in my garage. The money from selling it isn't a motivator. Maybe a framebox and storing it in the attic is a good option. Maybe a display box and turning it into wall art.

If this is my problem, life is pretty damn good, right?
Yup, I'm hearing pretty much what I was thinking. I'll break it down, hold onto the frame and then either build it back up later or let it go if it feels right. I'd love to have my mountain bike back and it just doesn't make sense to have more bikes than I have time to ride

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

p nut
10-29-2015, 08:45 PM
Another option - if you have family you visit regularly or a vacation home, take it and leave it there.

That's what I'm doing. Two fat bikes. Taking one up to the parent's house for when I visit.