PDA

View Full Version : Endura Freezing Point Booties

93legendti
10-29-2015, 07:38 AM
Endura Freezing Point Booties.

Anyone try these?

I know 11.4 sings the praises of the Endura mt-500, these look to be one step up...

http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/endura-freezing-point-overshoe.html

I have Sidi winter cycling shoes and a good system that has worked, but heck, Winter is almost is here and I am curious.

danielpack22@ma
10-29-2015, 10:41 AM
I have a set on order. My neoprene only Enduras were great and I'm hoping these (with the added fleece) will be even better.

93legendti
10-29-2015, 10:55 AM
I have a set on order. My neoprene only Enduras were great and I'm hoping these (with the added fleece) will be even better.

That was my thinking. Amazon has them for $69.95...same price on eBay.

Do you get sub 32 deg winters in Tennessee?

Joxster
10-29-2015, 11:00 AM
I'll ask their opinion next time I ride past the head office ;)

berserk87
10-29-2015, 11:15 AM
The Endura booties that I have now, for road, are comfortable and warm. The only issue that I have is that the rubberized coating is so soft it comes apart easily and mine are degrading due to occasional heel rub or accidental contact with stuff. Functionally they are about perfect; durability-wise, not so much.

I have a set for MTB and these are great and more durable. The reinforced toe is stout, and makes them much harder to slide over a shoe.

I will look into these newer covers. Thanks for posting this.

93legendti
10-29-2015, 11:21 AM
The Endura booties that I have now, for road, are comfortable and warm. The only issue that I have is that the rubberized coating is so soft it comes apart easily and mine are degrading due to occasional heel rub or accidental contact with stuff. Functionally they are about perfect; durability-wise, not so much.

I have a set for MTB and these are great and more durable. The reinforced toe is stout, and makes them much harder to slide over a shoe.

I will look into these newer covers. Thanks for posting this.

You're welcome. Thanks for the comments.

I have read a few reviews mentioning durability issues. If they work as advertised, I am ok putting guerilla tape over wear spots

93legendti
10-29-2015, 11:22 AM
I'll ask their opinion next time I ride past the head office ;)

Please ask if they need beta testers. ;)

10-29-2015, 12:13 PM
I have a pair of these, plus a pair of the basic neoprene ones.

I haven't had a problem with wear on them, but then I don't tend to walk in them and tend to do pretty continuous riding rides, if you know what I mean. So they don't get a lot of sole wear. However, I've definitely put miles on them, and don't see them falling apart rapidly -- more durable than Assos booties and other stuff I've used. One thing I've found is to get them relatively tight -- if you get them so they're sloppy on your shoes you'll roll the edges over and wear the edge seams rapidly. That might be what some people are seeing.

As for the fleece lining, I've had mixed experiences with it. On cold dry rides, it's fine. On wet rides, it just gets wet and your feet are either steaming, clammy, or frozen. My feet don't sweat much but I've seen one team mate who does have sweaty feet and he had them ice up on him. I've also found that if they do get wet, they sometimes don't dry entirely overnight; you can't use heat to dry them and they just keep a little residual dampness that isn't comfortable.

Fleece versus not? If it's cold (and it can get into the 20's at times in Texas) I wear a pair of stretched out road shoes with some medium weight wool socks inside. I depend on the wool socks for real moisture transfer and insulation. With that combination, the fleece didn't seem to do much extra for me, and sometimes was a detriment. You might consider sticking with the basic neoprene ones, and consider putting half a sock over your shoes before putting on the booties if you really want something extra -- then you can remove it if it gets wet. (I just cut off a wool hiking sock at the back of the arch and use it like a toe warmer, and then use a synthetic sock inside the shoe that wicks moisture well -- don't do it the other way or you don't get the moisture wicking and simply collect moisture near your skin.) You might consider putting a toe warmer packet over your toes inside the bootie; on bad days they can help.

93legendti
10-29-2015, 12:45 PM
I have a pair of these, plus a pair of the basic neoprene ones.

I haven't had a problem with wear on them, but then I don't tend to walk in them and tend to do pretty continuous riding rides, if you know what I mean. So they don't get a lot of sole wear. However, I've definitely put miles on them, and don't see them falling apart rapidly -- more durable than Assos booties and other stuff I've used. One thing I've found is to get them relatively tight -- if you get them so they're sloppy on your shoes you'll roll the edges over and wear the edge seams rapidly. That might be what some people are seeing.

As for the fleece lining, I've had mixed experiences with it. On cold dry rides, it's fine. On wet rides, it just gets wet and your feet are either steaming, clammy, or frozen. My feet don't sweat much but I've seen one team mate who does have sweaty feet and he had them ice up on him. I've also found that if they do get wet, they sometimes don't dry entirely overnight; you can't use heat to dry them and they just keep a little residual dampness that isn't comfortable.

Fleece versus not? If it's cold (and it can get into the 20's at times in Texas) I wear a pair of stretched out road shoes with some medium weight wool socks inside. I depend on the wool socks for real moisture transfer and insulation. With that combination, the fleece didn't seem to do much extra for me, and sometimes was a detriment. You might consider sticking with the basic neoprene ones, and consider putting half a sock over your shoes before putting on the booties if you really want something extra -- then you can remove it if it gets wet. (I just cut off a wool hiking sock at the back of the arch and use it like a toe warmer, and then use a synthetic sock inside the shoe that wicks moisture well -- don't do it the other way or you don't get the moisture wicking and simply collect moisture near your skin.) You might consider putting a toe warmer packet over your toes inside the bootie; on bad days they can help.

Thank you, as always, for your extensive reply.

I did the toe warmer adhesive packet on my shoe and under the Bootie last year. It works well.

I read a Ti Design post about putting a sock over the shoes, but under the Bootie and I just cut a hole in a pair of wool socks and tried them in under my booties-easy enough to get on.

I like to re-evaluate every year and see what's new and if there is something effective that makes dressing easier and quicker.

I guess I should try the mt500 first.

Thanks again.

danielpack22@ma
10-29-2015, 12:58 PM
I ride up in the Smokies most weekends, so quite a few rides started out well below freezing last year. And if it's not below freezing, there's a good chance my feet will get damp from water coming off the road.

That was my thinking. Amazon has them for $69.95...same price on eBay.

Do you get sub 32 deg winters in Tennessee?