PDA

View Full Version : Lot's of new folks here, so some suggestions:

Lewis Moon
10-29-2015, 06:59 AM
Lots of new folks on the board these days. Welcome.
However: some suggestions to make your ads more forum friendly.

Purdy please:

1) If an item sells, DO NOT add another post saying SOLD. Edit the original and put SOLD at the top of the post. Better yet, edit the title in the advanced editor and put SOLD in the title. Please don't gum up the works with more posts.
2) If the item you're selling has a particular size or compatibility, please try to put that information in the title, or at least near the top of the post so it can be seen when you mouse over it on the main page. Price too.
3) Don't just link to a previous for sale post. If you are selling something here (at no cost to you, thank you) that you bought from another Paceliner, please at least make the effort of authoring a new post with all the information.

This are just my suggestions and may not reflect the wishes of the incredibly fine folks who bring you this service.

Mr_Gimby
10-29-2015, 07:07 AM
:hello: All very good ideas. I, for one, really appreciate the "Sold" tag being added to the post title, saves me clicking a thread open only to find its been sold. Esp for the mobile browsers among us who can't hover the cursor to see the first few lines of a post.

Another suggestion that is more up for debate is leaving the asking price in an ad even once the item has sold. I can understand the desire for transaction privacy, but at the same time, having a record of what something sold for--or at least the asking price--can make a huge impact on market research for future sellers.

Just my two cents. Love this forum and have had nothing but great interatcions will all those I've bought and sold from/to. Thanks Paceline!!:beer:

Avincent52
10-29-2015, 07:20 AM
Another suggestion that is more up for debate is leaving the asking price in an ad even once the item has sold. I can understand the desire for transaction privacy, but at the same time, having a record of what something sold for--or at least the asking price--can make a huge impact on market research for future sellers.

Just my two cents. Love this forum and have had nothing but great interatcions will all those I've bought and sold from/to. Thanks Paceline!!:beer:

I respectfully agree with Mr. Gimby about leaving pricing info on a post.
If the seller would like to share the actual selling price, that would be nice, but why not at least leave the public info--the original price and subsequent price reductions--where we can research it.

A particular pet peeve? Deleting items after they're sold. A popular Paceliner who was selling a bunch of wheels tried to clean up the ad by deleting the sets that had been sold. Easier for the transaction, but kind of frustrated for a guy like me who was kind of filing away the info about the sold set for a future build or purchase.

But mostly, the Paceline has been a Golden Rule kind of place. I bought/built two bikes from the classifieds this summer, and while the transactions were really different, every single seller was honest and communicative.
Each item was delivered promptly and was as good, or even better, than advertised. I've tried to follow their example when selling my own gear.

Avincent52
10-29-2015, 07:21 AM

I respectfully agree with Mr. Gimby about leaving pricing info on a post.
If the seller would like to share the actual selling price, that would be nice, but why not at least leave the public info--the original price and subsequent price reductions--where we can research it.

A particular pet peeve? Deleting items after they're sold. A popular Paceliner who was selling a bunch of wheels tried to clean up the ad by deleting the sets that had been sold. Easier for the transaction, but kind of frustrated for a guy like me who was kind of filing away the info about the sold set for a future build or purchase.

But mostly, I've found the Paceline to be a Golden Rule kind of place. I bought/built two bikes from the classifieds this summer, and while the transactions were really different, every single seller was honest and communicative.
Each item was delivered promptly and was as good, or even better, than advertised. I've tried to follow their example when selling my own gear.

Lewis Moon
10-29-2015, 07:36 AM
You know, this probably won't do much good posted in this section of the forum. I understand that this isn't, strictly speaking, a for sale post, but it pertains to that section. A lot of folks don't make it past the for sale forum on a regular basis. I humbly ask that you move this back to where it will do the most good.

Cicli
10-29-2015, 07:37 AM
Agreed on all counts.

rugbysecondrow
10-29-2015, 07:43 AM
I delete the items which are sold (in a multiple item post/ad) because people will still PM and ask if it is available, even if I put SOLD. Deleting the specific item clears the clutter. I will delete the price and replace with SOLD for the same reason, people will see the price and PM, ignoring the SOLD.

Also, I will try to update the main page, but I often use Tapatalk, and I don't think I can edit the header of the OP in that application.

There is no right way. Do the best you can, be respectful and honest, don't be a dick...that should be enough.

Cheers.

thwart
10-29-2015, 09:03 AM
4) Don't come here just to use the classifieds.

Donate some of your thoughts, opinions and expertise elsewhere on the Forum. Even more importantly, donate some of the $ you made on the sale to keep this place afloat.