PDA

View Full Version : n+1 suggestions plz

henrypretz
10-28-2015, 11:01 PM
I'm wanting to add a used bike to my flock. My budget is definitely on the lower end, perhaps $1500 tops. Right now I have my trusty Serotta CIII and a GT Grade Alloy (disc brake "gravel" bike) I really like both of these bikes. The CIII is my every weekend ride, good for most every situation I encounter. The Grade is my all roads choice, and actually has a slightly "endurance" sort of riding posture that is super relaxed and comfy. The slack head tube angle limits toe overlap, which is always a concern (I'm a 53ish cm ETT)
My hope is to add something a bit lighter and maybe more sporty for faster riding up to and maybe over 60 miles(?) It doesn't have to be exotic or have zoot componentry (5800 on both of the other bikes and I have zero complaints). Workaday describes me and that is fine for me in a bike, too.
I would appreciate some Paceline suggestions and perhaps discussion on what model might fit that bill (or if I should stand pat and continue to save for a custom down the line ...... which will happen either way at retirement time)
I respect the opinions of the folks who congregate here.
Thanks
Henry

p.s. I am sort of drawn to a CAAD10 (or 9?) or perhaps a Look 585 or Cervelo R2 or 3? Not sure what makes me have these in mind. Might one of these get me what I'm hoping for?

JAGI410
10-29-2015, 02:25 AM
Caad10 would be a great choice

sitzmark
10-29-2015, 09:11 AM
CAAD10 is easily doable in your $$ range. Check REI sale - brand new for that money depending on components desired.

I bought a CAADX 3 (Ultegra) this year and keep it in another city to ride when I'm there. Impressed - nice bike all around. It's responsive, efficient, reasonably comfortable for 50-60 mile rides in a single seating (haven't done more yet, so can't say what a 100 is like). Definitely a "sporty" ride and pretty light (non-disc version). Only one way to really know for sure if it's for you ..... demo. :)

* Ooops - size wise you're out on an REI 105 version, but gives you an idea of what is possible.

Avincent52
10-29-2015, 10:26 AM
I'd go carbon, and I'll tell you that I built up a Tarmac SL Pro (circa 2010) with Campy Chorus/Record 11 speed, Shamals, and a nice 3T/Fizik/Romin cockpit for around your budget budget.
I got a nice deal on the frame and components, but I think you should be able to do something like that without even hunting.

$500 frame (Something like this maybe...http://www.ebay.com/itm/Specialized-Tarmac-Pro-frameset-58cm-2008-opt-crankset-very-good-condition-/262109302816?hash=item3d06ee9020:g:P9MAAOSwQTVWBus v)
$300 Campagnolo Zondas (new from Ribble)
$400 105 gruppo (new from Ribble etc)
$200 for bars, stem, seatpost, saddle (lightly used on the Forum)
$100 for tires etc.

If you're willing to be a little patient, you can do like I did upgrade the wheels and the components by finding nice used pieces in the Classifieds.

That bike will build out at around 16-17 pounds, and will roll so fast it might make you reconsider your others.

Have fun with the build...and the bike.

CaptStash
10-29-2015, 04:45 PM
I have a Kestrel a Evoke carbon frame available that will fit you and fits the bill. I have a few groups available, so could probably do a full build at well under your budget, leaving you dough for a high zoot set of wheels.

Let me know if you are interested.

Saul ska CaptStash....

thwart
10-29-2015, 05:35 PM
If you're on a Serotta CIII, you're already on a high end, very high performance steel bike, with I assume a Reynolds or similar carbon fork. So frameset weight is around 5 lbs.

You could get a used carbon or aluminum bike, and save 1-2 lbs... or save some $$$ (and space) by upgrading your group and (even more importantly) your wheels, and get most or all of what you're looking for, IMO.

Then spend the next few yrs before retirement scoping out the custom bike market... :banana:

thirdgenbird
10-29-2015, 05:43 PM
I think I would stick with those two bikes. Maybe buy yourself a second set of wheels for one or each bike.

for the grade, have a wheelset with smooth tires and a closer ratio cassette and another with knobby tires and a wide range cassette for off-road use.

For the serotta, have a standard wheelset with a durable tire and then have a second light and/or aero set with a nice supple (tubular?) tire.

I think this setup will give you an option for about every situation. Keep saving for a custom.

54ny77
10-29-2015, 05:49 PM
Henry, try a CAAD9, it's an awesome ride. Seriously.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=175076

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z113/jpmz06/Bike/IMG_5184_zpszqow2del.jpg

I built this up for well under your posted budget and so can you if you find a deal on a frame and raid the parts bin. The high zoot wheels in the photo were borrowed from another bike, otherwise it gets Open Pro's and 6700 hub wheels, 32 spoke, everyday nice wheels that don't break the bank.

eddief
10-29-2015, 06:20 PM
dark side, light, relaxed, go bike.

DrSpoke
10-29-2015, 06:49 PM
Pivot Mach429SL