PDA

View Full Version : OT - sports tv color anaylists

wc1934
10-27-2015, 06:03 PM
Why is Pete Rose a color commentator - he has been banned from baseball.
Why is Ray Lewis a color commentator - he was charged with 2 counts of murder.

Can't fox and espn find more suitable representatives?

rugbysecondrow
10-27-2015, 06:04 PM
Well, they are two of the best players to ever play their games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ultraman6970
10-27-2015, 06:29 PM
In some sports public don't care about those things. baseball and american football are good examples of that. The other part is that TV stations as big as fox wont care as long as the fans are seated in front of the tv listening those two guys. The more people watch them the more money they make.

Avincent52
10-27-2015, 07:32 PM
Honestly, given the current media climate, I think that, in part, the networks are employing Lewis and Rose in the hope, even expectation, they'll eventually say something outrageous--that becomes newsworthy and essentially becomes a marketing tool for them.

Birddog
10-27-2015, 08:00 PM
It's the "Kardashian Effect"

unterhausen
10-27-2015, 08:07 PM
I haven't seen Rose, but I was surprised to hear about him working. Lewis does a decent job, from what I've seen.

Scuzzer
10-27-2015, 08:48 PM
I think that, in part, the networks are employing Lewis and Rose in the hope, even expectation, they'll eventually say something outrageous

This. Rose is well known for his gaffes and I can't imagine that didn't play into the decision to hire him. Lewis (like Barkely for the NBA) might just say enough stuff to get extra attention. BTW, I like Lewis and Barkely as far as their specific sport analysis goes.

Also, the NFL channel did a football life on Lewis and it prominently displayed his preference for getting cardio via the bike.

Mark McM
10-28-2015, 08:01 AM
This. Rose is well known for his gaffes and I can't imagine that didn't play into the decision to hire him. Lewis (like Barkely for the NBA) might just say enough stuff to get extra attention. BTW, I like Lewis and Barkely as far as their specific sport analysis goes.

Exactly. They are color commentators because they are colorful characters that can be relied on for colorful comments - plus the occasional off-color comment.