PDA

View Full Version : REI Closed on Black Friday

93legendti
10-26-2015, 07:16 PM
http://optoutside.rei.com/?cm_mmc=email_com_gm-_-mm_announce-_-102615-_-bt_optout&ev36=11732423&RMID=20151027_MM_Announcement&RRID=709359&ev11=1

Interesting...

Cornfed
10-26-2015, 07:22 PM
Good for them. Walk the talk.

p nut
10-26-2015, 07:23 PM
Just got the email as well. Good for them. I was so ticked when some of my relatives decided to skip out on a few family activities last year on Thanksgiving day to go shopping. Sickening.

Shortsocks
10-26-2015, 07:25 PM
I'm really happy a Store that I frequent, often, is not participating in the BS. Good for them. This just made me a bigger supporter of REI!

SlackMan
10-26-2015, 07:38 PM
I'm really happy a Store that I frequent, often, is not participating in the BS. Good for them. This just made me a bigger supporter of REI!

Ditto. I'll make a special effort to shop there.

unterhausen
10-26-2015, 07:41 PM
they don't love me any more, I didn't get any emails.

I think this is great. My LBS is closed more than other shops, and it doesn't seem to hurt them at all. One of the other shops in town is open 7 days, which just seems to be a waste.

AngryScientist
10-26-2015, 07:59 PM
excellent.

i will also be outside.

let the fools and sheep to go the malls.

Aaron O
10-26-2015, 08:16 PM
Ditto - awesome they're doing this for their people and not contributing to this mania.

David Kirk
10-26-2015, 08:28 PM
Sometimes big companies can do the right thing and this is one of those times.

Very cool.

Dave

Mr. Pink
10-26-2015, 08:59 PM
Good news. I like REI a lot. Great company.

Heh. Just bought a pair of shoes in one Saturday night, and my guess is that the employees will use the day off to get a new tattoo and/or piercing.

d_douglas
10-26-2015, 09:07 PM
A few times, I have shown up at my LBS for a repair only to see the sign in the window that says ' closed - out riding '.

It always makes me smile that some businesses have their priorities straight. If they're good shop, people will come back the next day. I did.

Kudos to REI - that is a big decision to make for a successful retailer.

jeffwidman
10-27-2015, 01:25 AM
I'm sure they didn't make this choice for business reasons, but it does make me curious how much revenue they're actually giving up on. I'm sure it's more than pocket change, but REI clientele don't strike me as the type who typically are out on BF.

likebikes
10-27-2015, 01:58 AM
publicity stunt.

Climb01742
10-27-2015, 05:10 AM
publicity stunt.

I think it's both. The right thing for their people. And the smart thing to bring their get outside strategy to life. Being smart doesn't make it any less right in my eyes.

oldpotatoe
10-27-2015, 05:15 AM
publicity stunt.

I wouldn't call it a 'stunt'. I'm betting their increase of sales because of this mostly or completely offsets the lack of sales $. Plus they save on payroll, a lot of business' pay 'overtime' during holidays to boot.

jr59
10-27-2015, 05:25 AM
publicity stunt.

Correct. A very well played one at that. Agree with the just b/c it's a stunt, doesn't make it a bad thing.

echelon_john
10-27-2015, 05:52 AM
Win on multiple fronts. Yes, the PR benefit is enormous, but add goodwill from brick and mortar employees, goodwill from current customers/members, a strong brand statement, and the potential to win new customers/members.

This move doesn't stop them from offering online Black Friday promotions; no doubt they weighed the % of revenue that's shifted to their online channel over the last few years in making this decision. With "only" 143 retail stores, they may not take much of a financial hit compared to the bump they'll see from this de facto promotion.

Good for them!

AngryScientist
10-27-2015, 05:52 AM
yes, not all publicity is bad.

plus, i'm sure all of the REI employees will wish the company well enjoying their day off. so, if they gain some positive publicity for doing the right thing, that's win-win in my eyes.

AngryScientist
10-27-2015, 05:55 AM
This move doesn't stop them from offering online Black Friday promotions; no doubt they weighed the % of revenue that's shifted to their online channel over the last few years in making this decision.

good point. i mean, is BF even a thing to people who generally shop at REI? probably not. most "outdoor enthusiasts" who get a paid day off are likely not running to their favorite gear store, but are much more likely to sneak online to buy that tent on Monday morning from their desk at work.

sjbraun
10-27-2015, 05:59 AM
I wouldn't call it a 'stunt'. I'm betting their increase of sales because of this mostly or completely offsets the lack of sales $. Plus they save on payroll, a lot of business' pay 'overtime' during holidays to boot.

According to one article I read, REI is paying their employees for not working on Black Friday. Seems like a win all the way around.

simonov
10-27-2015, 06:00 AM
publicity stunt.

I wouldn't go quite that far, but I'm sure they looked at dwindling black friday sales and realized the goodwill and positive publicity outweighed any actual loss of sales. I've heard it's a great place to work, and this seems to support that. Black friday, with the boom in online shopping, isn't really that big of a day for some businesses.

Birddog
10-27-2015, 06:08 AM
This Black Friday the co-op is doing something different. We are closing all 143 of our stores. Instead of reporting to work, we are paying our employees to do what we love most, to be outside.
The first paragraph of the announcement. The critics need to find some other nit to pick on.

weisan
10-27-2015, 07:31 AM
Those of us who have been around long enough know that the world that we live in, is not always black and white...there are shades of grey...and there are COLORS!

It's both.

Good PR, nothing short of genius AND...
good neighboring.

merlinmurph
10-27-2015, 07:48 AM
I like it - good move.

CampyorBust
10-27-2015, 08:02 AM
I wore my Novara jersey with pride yesterday. I shall continue to purchase my White Lighnting and Finish Line degreaser from them. I will never forget when REI was able to get me some badly needed bushings for my mtb in 3 days when the local hot stuff mtb specific lbs gave me the run around for a month with no result. REI has my support.

yngpunk
10-27-2015, 08:15 AM
good point. i mean, is BF even a thing to people who generally shop at REI? probably not. most "outdoor enthusiasts" who get a paid day off are likely not running to their favorite gear store, but are much more likely to sneak online to buy that tent on Monday morning from their desk at work.

My understanding was that they were also not going to offer any Black Friday deals online either.

thirdgenbird
10-27-2015, 08:27 AM
People don't like selfish/profit driven/evil companies and then the same people criticize companies for doing good things because it's "just about sales and/or publicity."

Yes, specalized might get a few sales due to their work with schools and ADHD students. Yes, REI might get positive press because they are closing on Black Friday and paying their employees. If these two things bother you, the reasons might be just as selfish as your perception of their motives.

Companies like specalized and REI have more resources than most of us. We shouldn't criticize them for moves that benifit others even if it means more sales. After all, it is those sales that allow them to give back.

93legendti
10-27-2015, 09:00 AM
Less is more.

I just wish REI's prices were lower...

dsimon
10-27-2015, 09:03 AM
Awesome

p nut
10-27-2015, 09:03 AM
Yup, "stunt" or not, I bet it got a lot of people thinking. Maybe even "inspired" other companies to follow suit.

By the way, I've driven by REI on Black Friday in the past. Like any other retailers, they were packed. Safe to assume they're on the "losing end" of this deal--financially. Let's face it--there are a few who will put their money where their mouth is (like some of you here) and stay loyal to REI. But most will applaud REI for their efforts, then carry out their yearly BF shopping rituals at Sheels, Dicks, Moosejaw, etc. Habits are hard to break.

dana_e
10-27-2015, 09:04 AM
they have a huge blow out sale before that anyway

the place is packed then

tumbler
10-27-2015, 09:21 AM
publicity stunt.

Yep, I hate when companies do good things and get positive attention for it.

alancw3
10-27-2015, 09:23 AM
good for them!! amazing how many people we have on the forum that are always looking at the glass half full.

Len J
10-27-2015, 09:31 AM
publicity stunt.

It's a good marketing play...

But let's not kid ourselves, if they didn't think the business gain wouldn't exceed the cost, they wouldn't be doing it.

Clever.

Len

PaMtbRider
10-27-2015, 09:36 AM
Black Friday shoppers are headed to the big box stores, Target, WalMart, Best Buy... I doubt that this is one of REI's bigger retail days. Regardless, any employer willing to give employees paid time off is a plus in my book.

MattTuck
10-27-2015, 09:45 AM
It's a good marketing play...

But let's not kid ourselves, if they didn't think the business gain wouldn't exceed the cost, they wouldn't be doing it.

Clever.

Len

I'm not sure. That is a share holder value argument. There are other models (stake holder model for example) that suggest profit maximization should not be the primary motivating force for a business.

I don't have any insight into REI, so I don't really know. But it is certainly possible that this is not a net positive for the company.

Len J
10-27-2015, 10:00 AM
I'm not sure. That is a share holder value argument. There are other models (stake holder model for example) that suggest profit maximization should not be the primary motivating force for a business.

I don't have any insight into REI, so I don't really know. But it is certainly possible that this is not a net positive for the company.

I think it's obvious it's a net positive, the publicity alone is worth millions...add in the additional members they attract because of this and it's a win and the enhancement of the brand message and it's a no-brainer..

This plays directly to their niche.

Very smart marketing.

Len

CunegoFan
10-27-2015, 10:01 AM
Now their employees can go to other stores on Black Friday without calling in sick.

krhea
10-27-2015, 10:03 AM
Black Friday shoppers are headed to the big box stores, Target, WalMart, Best Buy... I doubt that this is one of REI's bigger retail days. Regardless, any employer willing to give employees paid time off is a plus in my book.

As a former long time REI employee I can tell you your assumption is dead wrong...Black Friday IS the biggest day or second biggest day of the year for REI. The first day of the Anniversary Sale is large as well but don't for a minute discount the dollars rollin' in to stores other then "big boxes". Now it might not be the biggest day for every single REI store across the country but overall corporate sales are gigantic.

thwart
10-27-2015, 10:06 AM
publicity stunt.

Cynicism is one of the results of our modern culture. Frequently justified, but in this case I think their lost sales make it more than just a publicity stunt.

IMO.

Elefantino
10-27-2015, 10:14 AM
Cynicism is one of the results of our modern culture.

This.

fuzzalow
10-27-2015, 10:22 AM
REI is not a publicly trade specialty retailer. They are a co-operative. That makes the motive and objectives of what they do no different than any other profit seeking enterprise, but it does change the weightings and priorities of the organization.

The cynicism in some of the responses here is just sad. Sometimes things are done for admirable reasons that also do not harm the profit motive. REI, like their core customer demographic, plays very well into the "bourgeois" & "bohemian" consumer preferences of the nature described in David Brooks' "Bobos in Paradise".

[Edit: Meaning that the REI consumer is much less price sensitive and has a greater leeway for the demand of the products they buy. Provided that they are the "right" products from the "right" establishments. Granted, much of REI products sold may be NOT made in USA but in China, etc. But they make up for it by REI's attempt at social conciousness via so-called company responsibility and all the positive soft-value benefits in qualities of that ilk.]

Good on REI. Their store in the Puck Building in SoHo is always fun to shop in, full of staff enthusiastic about what they do. Continued success to them.

Mikej
10-27-2015, 10:36 AM
Im just not sure I agree with Thanksgiving anyway-And who cares if a store is closed, on line is open.

Skenry
10-27-2015, 10:42 AM
I guess I don't understand. Thursday is a federal holiday. Friday is just a Friday. Why are they closing?

p nut
10-27-2015, 11:02 AM
Response from REI regarding online orders:

"We'd rather people spend the day outside, but people are free to visit the site and place an online order if they need to. When you visit REI.com a screen will tell you that we are closed for the day. Customers will still be able to view products or make a purchase (and we'll encourage them to "opt outside" by driving online traffic to discover outdoor experiences in their communities) if they want. We just won't process the order until the next day."

rugbysecondrow
10-27-2015, 11:24 AM
publicity stunt.

And people will still shop online.

Sure, it is publicity, but that doesn't make it a stunt.

JAllen
10-27-2015, 11:36 AM
I dig it. No matter the views expressed, I still think it has greater reaching benefits.

93legendti
10-27-2015, 11:41 AM
Of course it is "publicity", REI itself publicized it by emailing and putting it on their web homepage. Stunt? No.

It is a company philosophy and I support it.

Heck, the only time I saw my Father get mad at his crack office manager is when he found out she had been working on weekends. He said: "Carole, I do not want you working on weekends! You work hard enough during the week. Go home Friday evening and come back Monday morning! Enjoy your time way from work! And she was paid at least 2x the going rate.

slidey
10-27-2015, 11:46 AM
Very happy that REI has been able to actually take this stance - enormously courageous, per my view.

For all those touting that this is "in their economic interest" and not goodwill, I don't understand how shuttering your doors on a day when your competitors are going to be having roaring sales sees you better off from a revenue perspective. Sure, it earns you some additional sales by your well wishers, and increases the standing of the brand, but you can't put a firm number on it, not even a reasonable margin of error. And, therein lies my problem - for it to be "in their economic interest", you have only numbers to go by. You can't have some employee say, "I have a hunch that if we shut our shops on Thanksgiving day, we'll bring more money in, in the long run".

These decisions can only be take in one of two circumstances:
1. when you're absolutely certain, with a high degree of confidence that the ROI is going to be pretty damn good (revenue-based, data-driven decision), or
2. when you don't care about the short-term ROI, and are more interested in keeping the brand's image intact in the long run (doing the right thing).

I can tell you as someone who plays with data for a living, #1 is a nightmare to predict, an absolute nightmare. #2 is then the only logical choice.

Peter P.
10-27-2015, 03:36 PM
REI closing on Black Friday?

This is unAmerican. They should be investigated, wiretapped by the NSA, whatever it takes to find their true motives.

I suspect they might be funneling profits to fund jihad.

JAllen
10-27-2015, 04:42 PM

This is unAmerican. They should be investigated, wiretapped by the NSA, whatever it takes to find their true motives.

Ha!

"Proud to be an American! Where at least I know I'm free!"

Cicli
10-27-2015, 04:45 PM

Hairy mountain hippys are taking over?

Seriously, I like REI. I hate black friday. Its a stupid idea that has screwed up thanksgiving. Now, get off my lawn.

Llewellyn
10-27-2015, 04:48 PM
Good on them. Maybe people will begin to realise that shopping and rampant consumerism are not the only things you can aim for in life.

thwart
10-27-2015, 06:25 PM
Good on them. Maybe people will begin to realise that shopping and rampant consumerism are not the only things you can aim for in life.
Going to be tough to turn around the culture of valuing the pursuit of $$$ above almost all else that's been rampant over the past 30 years or so.

I'm old enough to remember when pop/rock stars were thought to be greedy jerks if they sold their songs for use on commercials.
How quaint.

Whoops... think I said something about cynicism earlier. ;)

93legendti
10-27-2015, 06:43 PM
Many of the people who can't afford expensive ti, carbon or steel bikes rely upon the sales on Black Friday to buy things they need for their homes and family or want to give as gifts. In turn, many people are hired to work thru the Christmas season. A few of the people who benefit from the retailers that offer BF sales might not think as highly of the some people here who think so highly of themselves as to judge BF so harshly. For many people, it still feels like the recession didn't end.

There is always a thread here about BF deals that members found.

REI said no thanks. Good for REI.

Most retailers will partake in BF. Good for them.

If shopping on BF isn't your thing, good for you.

cat6
10-27-2015, 07:33 PM
Many of the people who can't afford expensive ti, carbon or steel bikes rely upon the sales on Black Friday to buy things they need for their homes and family or want to give as gifts.

I don' think there are many Black Friday diaper or laundry detergent sales and I don't know anyone that needs a big screen TV or Blu-ray player. With most BF sales the perception of discounts and value are cleverly marketed towards less informed consumers. Informed consumers will be out riding their expensive Ti, carbon or steel bikes on November 27th.

Good for REI.

nicrump
10-27-2015, 07:37 PM
i worked at REI long enough to know its not a publicity stunt but rather a statement. one that i can get behind. glad they are maintaining some of their culture all these years later.

Scuzzer
10-27-2015, 08:40 PM
For all those touting that this is "in their economic interest" and not goodwill, I don't understand how shuttering your doors on a day when your competitors are going to be having roaring sales sees you better off from a revenue perspective.

Exactly. This will build goodwill from those of us who frequent outdoorsy type forums like this but it's got to kill them with walk by sales that would be fairly huge with my local REI at the outdoor mall. This is purely goodwill and a brand statement to their faithful customers, not a sales gimmick. I got the email, I applaud them.

Corso
10-27-2015, 08:46 PM
I like the black friday choice. Good for them.

REI is all about outdoors?unless you are on a dirt bike or ATV. Board Members are closely aligned with the Sierra club on that front.

I still shop there, but that bugs me.

mtb_frk
10-27-2015, 09:15 PM
Good for the employees who get to spend the two days with their families. My wife will be working on thanksgiving this year. Her store is open so I won't get to see her much if at all. Even if it wasn't open she would be working crazy hours on BF so her thanksgiving would be spent sleeping. I like REI, I like REI more now that they are doing this.

bfd
10-27-2015, 10:34 PM
I don' think there are many Black Friday diaper or laundry detergent sales and I don't know anyone that needs a big screen TV or Blu-ray player. With most BF sales the perception of discounts and value are cleverly marketed towards less informed consumers. Informed consumers will be out riding their expensive Ti, carbon or steel bikes on November 27th.

Good for REI.

Agree, most of the people aren't lining up to buy necessities and things they need. Instead, BF has become all about watching the crazies line up and fight over the crappy tvs and things that 99% of them don't need and can't afford. Then about a month later, when the credit card bills arrive, they're back in line trying to return the junk they bought because they only just realized that they ran up a big bill that they can't afford. It happens every year and yet, they still line up and do it all again the next year....Good Luck!:butt::help::crap:

verticaldoug
10-28-2015, 01:09 AM

The shareholder model for REI is a liitle different than the average company. It is a co-op so a large portion of year end profits is paid to the customers (who as little shareholders) reap some of the benefit. There are no large shareholders who demand more return on their capital. Management does not have stock based pay, so no need to manipulate short term earnings for their own short term self interest.

The company is a model for fair return between capital and labor as opposed to listed companies where an every larger percentage of profits are accruing only to the capital.

93legendti
10-28-2015, 06:39 AM

Good for REI.

Talk to some of my tenants who live paycheck to paycheck re what they buy on Black Friday.

AJosiahK
10-28-2015, 07:04 AM
a good thing indeed

lots of respect to those running this buiz.

REI gets my thumbsup

commonguy001
10-28-2015, 08:46 AM
Seriously, I like REI. I hate black friday. Its a stupid idea that has screwed up thanksgiving. Now, get off my lawn.

agree 100% with all of of the above

Thanksgiving and the Friday after are for spending time with family, mountain biking and having a few belts.

p nut
10-28-2015, 08:52 AM
Talk to some of my tenants who live paycheck to paycheck re what they buy on Black Friday.

But isn't that the point of the statement that REI is trying to make? Material possessions =/= happiness.

Nothing to do with people living in poverty.

Seramount
10-28-2015, 10:56 AM
I'd rather get a root canal than go shopping...

I buy everything but food online.

no Black Friday for REI...? won't change anything for me, and it's nice their employees are getting a paid day off.

the plague of rampant consumerism that affects America won't be affected by this event.

BobbyJones
10-28-2015, 11:07 AM
Many of the people who can't afford expensive ti, carbon or steel bikes rely upon the sales on Black Friday to buy things they need for their homes and family or want to give as gifts. In turn, many people are hired to work thru the Christmas season.

There is always a thread here about BF deals that members found.

REI said no thanks. Good for REI.

Most retailers will partake in BF. Good for them.

If shopping on BF isn't your thing, good for you.

All this. ^ I chuckle a little bit at the threads about the "rampant consumerism" that the unwashed masses partake in. Yet we agonize over matching our cable ferrules to our overpriced headsets and bar tape.

We've got bikes no one needs, they've got oversized flat screen TV's they don't need. It really is the same thing, isn't it?

inlimbo87
10-28-2015, 11:27 AM
This is awesome! I'm sure this will pay off in the form of employee retention.

Jake January
10-28-2015, 11:55 AM
REI rocks! Sadly I don't live near one anymore. I've been a member long as I can remember.
Whenever one of my pals in the USA does me a favor I send them a an REI gift certificate.

I had to google "black friday". Seems I've been away for a spell.

Though I think it's cute that the local Tesco tries to capitalize on Christmas dressing the checkout girls as Santa's elves.
I sure don't miss the real madness back in the USA. :beer:

gemship
10-28-2015, 03:13 PM
REI rocks! Sadly I don't live near one anymore. I've been a member long as I can remember.
Whenever one of my pals in the USA does me a favor I send them a an REI gift certificate.

I had to google "black friday". Seems I've been away for a spell.

Though I think it's cute that the local Tesco tries to capitalize on Christmas dressing the checkout girls as Santa's elves.
I sure don't miss the real madness back in the USA. :beer:

Yep you're not missing much.:beer:

I forgot what "black friday" was too until I saw this thread and I live in the US but I'm single with no kids and a black sheep of the family so holiday shopping is no biggie for me, LOL:hello:

gemship
10-28-2015, 03:15 PM
I'd rather get a root canal than go shopping...

I buy everything but food online.

no Black Friday for REI...? won't change anything for me, and it's nice their employees are getting a paid day off.

the plague of rampant consumerism that affects America won't be affected by this event.

Good point, I kinda see REI as another niche store that caters to clients with disposable income and first world problems. Oh well at least they try to do the right thing.

Off topic but I feel pity for families living paycheck to paycheck that are guilted to spend some dough on Halloween costumes. Now there's a waste of money for the less savvy who can't make their own.

gemship
10-28-2015, 03:21 PM
Agree, most of the people aren't lining up to buy necessities and things they need. Instead, BF has become all about watching the crazies line up and fight over the crappy tvs and things that 99% of them don't need and can't afford. Then about a month later, when the credit card bills arrive, they're back in line trying to return the junk they bought because they only just realized that they ran up a big bill that they can't afford. It happens every year and yet, they still line up and do it all again the next year....Good Luck!:butt::help::crap:

Ha,ha I just drew this analogy from your post. I thought of how this crazy cycle creates jobs as well as headaches and then thought of the nation's roadways and bridges that never seem to be finished.

InspectorGadget
10-29-2015, 11:27 AM
Good news. I like REI a lot. Great company.

Heh. Just bought a pair of shoes in one Saturday night, and my guess is that the employees will use the day off to get a new tattoo and/or piercing.As a part time REI employee, I will be using my day off to ride my bike or, conditions permitting, skiing. :hello:

David Tollefson
10-29-2015, 11:43 AM
My wife gets the day off (also a part-time REI employee), so I'm planning a ride (normal for me) and a group day hike.

verticaldoug
11-12-2015, 08:22 AM
Black Friday has just morphed into Black November with online sales leading.

CunegoFan
11-14-2015, 09:13 PM
Black Friday has just morphed into Black November with online sales leading.

REI is really milking this for all its worth. My Twitter feed has been bombarded by REI ads telling me it is not participating in Black Friday.

xjoex
11-15-2015, 10:04 AM
I support REI in this, Patagonia has gotten press for years about their "don't shop here on black friday" propaganda. But Patagonia clearly doesn't believe it, since they stay open and send me emails about the sales!

So bravo to REI for closing.

-Joe

Plum Hill
11-27-2015, 07:24 AM
The owner of the LBS asked if I was coming in for their BF sale (they've been open since 5:30 PM on Thanksgiving).
I replied in the negative as I don't believe in shopping on holidays, then brought up REI. He claimed numerous REI employees lambasted corporate over it's drive to sell, sell, sell memberships as opposed to selling merchandise.
He also said he'd rather be home, and explained the side of the issue that "we" don't see.

Shop owner claims his BF sales are worth well over $30,000 and make the difference between keeping or laying off three or more employees.
I stopped by with liquid holiday cheer last night. All employees (at least 9 or 10) on deck but few customers. One employee said the big rush was when the doors opened; they couldn't man the crowd. He said the next big rush would come between 3-6 AM.
Glad I'm not in retail.

wolfstone636
11-27-2015, 09:43 AM
I have been very happy shopping at REI over the years

MadRocketSci
11-27-2015, 10:14 AM
Sometimes big companies can do the right thing and this is one of those times.

Very cool.

Dave

REI is not a company, it is an anarcho-syndicalist commune... or an autonomous collective... or just a coop ;)