PDA

View Full Version : Bike on cruise ship

gjc985
10-26-2015, 05:45 PM
In feb I'm headed on 12 day royal caribbean cruise and was thinking of bringing my bike and trainer, so I can ride in my room. Has anyone ever done this? I can't handle 12 days off the bike right before race season and those spin bikes/classes cruises have kinda suck

thegunner
10-26-2015, 05:48 PM
In feb I'm headed on 12 day royal caribbean cruise and was thinking if bringing my bike and trainer so I can ride in my room. Has anyone ever done this? I can't handle 12 days off the bike right before race season and those spin bikes/classes cruises have kinda suck

time off is good. plus riding on a trainer in your room sounds miserable. if it were me, i'd do something else to stay fit. it's a cruise! enjoy yourself.

ergott
10-26-2015, 05:49 PM
My cabin was way too mall to fit that setup. There should be a gym on the boat.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

AngryScientist
10-26-2015, 05:50 PM
you're kidding, right?

alexstar
10-26-2015, 05:51 PM
I understand the impulse. 3 days into a 10 day Alaskan cruise I got tired of at-sea days, doing nothing but sitting and eating,and started hitting the gym for an hour every day. It kept me sane and kept me from adding probably 5 pounds. I would save the luggage space and hit the gym instead.

AngryScientist
10-26-2015, 05:55 PM
to be fair, i would never go on a cruise either. no thanks, not for me.

as a former navy/merchant marine officer - if i get on a boat for any length of time: send me down to the engine room and start the paychecks rolling.

thegunner
10-26-2015, 06:01 PM

i thought this for the longest time (mostly because i hate being on the water... some years of rowing has traumatized me), but then i realized i could go and literally do nothing and think about nothing and it turned out to be pretty great haha.

chuckroast
10-26-2015, 06:09 PM
There will be approximately one zillion spin bikes in the gym, knock yourself out.

Louis
10-26-2015, 06:17 PM
The cruise company's web site should tell you what is available in that particular boat's gym.

shovelhd
10-26-2015, 06:32 PM
In feb I'm headed on 12 day royal caribbean cruise and was thinking of bringing my bike and trainer, so I can ride in my room. Has anyone ever done this? I can't handle 12 days off the bike right before race season and those spin bikes/classes cruises have kinda suck

Adjust your early season training and expectations. Jesus, it's a vacation. Enjoy it. Who gives a crap if you're not peaking in April.

gjc985
10-26-2015, 06:40 PM
There will be approximately one zillion spin bikes in the gym, knock yourself out.

They usually charge like $15 for each spin class, only have them every few days and they don't let you use the spin bikes unless you're in the class. They keep the good spin bikes locked up. They only have the computer stand bikes for typical every day use, which have time limits.

vav
10-26-2015, 06:47 PM
:p

http://www.freeairpump.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/20130926120729-DSC_0123.jpg

dave thompson
10-26-2015, 06:54 PM
I'm in the 'leave the bike at home and enjoy your vacation' camp.

Steve in SLO
10-26-2015, 07:14 PM
Agree with the above comments.
It will be too much hassle and if you're not traveling alone it will be a bone of contention with your cabinmates
Enjoy yourself, embrace your inner sloth, gain 5 lbs at the buffet and ride like hell when you get home.

thegunner
10-26-2015, 07:19 PM
i came back from a caribbean cruise, put on 4 pounds in may, and then crushed my 20 min power PR by 20 watts. n=1 guaranteed to work.

KonaSS
10-26-2015, 07:23 PM
Was on a Princess Alaskan cruise this past July. Definitely not my choice for a vacation, but it was an extended family obligation........

Anyway - I did a combo of what many people suggested. Planned for a general break in my training, i.e. trained hard up until the vacation so was ready for a break.

Enjoyed a few days off, then when I got restless, starting using the gym equipment. On my boat, they only let you use the spin bikes for the classes, otherwise, they only had those horrible tractor seat, 160 mm crank exercise bikes. I spent most of my time on the treadmill, elliptical and rowing machines. Then signed up for 3 spin classes over the week. It is sad but true, those three classes were the highlight of my time on that boat. :crap:

Anarchist
10-26-2015, 07:37 PM
Unless the OP is getting paid, a lot, to do these races I think he's lost the plot.

oldpotatoe
10-27-2015, 04:45 AM

as a former navy/merchant marine officer - if i get on a boat for any length of time: send me down to the engine room and start the paychecks rolling.

Heh, heh, thanks for your service. After spending about 6 YEARS at sea of the 20 I was in in the USN, I thought I'd never do one either but did a 7 day Norwegian Fjord cruise that I REALLY enjoyed. No ballroom dancing or stage shows, just very relaxing, great beer, great food, and stops at some really interesting places up the coast.

ergott
10-27-2015, 05:34 AM
7 day Norwegian Fjord cruise that I REALLY enjoyed.

http://www.pega.com/sites/pega.com/files/styles/insights-artbreakpoints_theme_pegas_wide_1x/public/Collections-Dead-or-Just-Pining-for-the-Fjords.jpg?itok=nXYg8LHG

Joxster
10-27-2015, 06:00 AM
If you're that desperate take your running shoes, get up early and do laps of the deck.

tuxbailey
10-27-2015, 06:28 AM
^^^

I don't know what kind of room you are paying for, but the average rooms is too small to fit a bike in.

Just run around the ship, they have a running track around it.

Tony T
10-27-2015, 06:59 AM
A rollers on a boat, (er, ship) would be interesting :)

cderalow
10-27-2015, 07:02 AM
:p

http://www.freeairpump.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/20130926120729-DSC_0123.jpg

how the hell is that actually propelled?

Anyone else notice there's no connection from wheels to anything that resembles something that could propel those pontoons.

Tony T
10-27-2015, 07:17 AM
There's a cable running from the top of the rear wheel to the front and into the water driving a prop.
Steering turns the prop left, right (er, port, starboard)

benb
10-27-2015, 07:39 AM
My wife and I have been on one cruise, Norwegian Gem back in 2008.

We both managed to lose 5lbs or so on the cruise. We went early enough in the season (february or march?) that I wasn't going out of my skin at losing riding time.

I did ride the spin bikes.. I wouldn't count on that, and taking your bike & a trainer (not to mention the extra $$$ for a cabin big enough to set that up) would be potentially even worse.

Riding the spin bike was one of the ONLY things that made me start to get semi-seasick the whole week, and I'm usually the last person to ever get seasick. Not fun.

Our ship had a running track on the upper deck. We made decent use of that. They had a rock climbing wall on the smokestack & golf cages up on the upper deck as well. All fun. Pool was a disaster because it was seawater and somehow was the most salty water I've ever swum in. It was like toxic it was so salty.

We got off the boat every day we could and must have walked 10 miles each day. And honestly seeing thousands of morbidly obese people stuffing themselves full of food all day long completely killed our appetites. I wouldn't worry too much about gaining weight. Just be creative to keep moving.

I think I read 3-4 books sitting on the lounges chilling. That part is great.

It'd still not be something I'd go out of my way to do again... if you're going to stick me on a boat for a vacation make it a sailboat and let me do at least some of the sailing, and lets keep it relatively solitary. I suck at kayaking but I'd take a canoe trip.

smontanaro
10-27-2015, 07:59 AM
It'd still not be something I'd go out of my way to do again...

Ditto. Besides spending the first 24 hours or so terrifically seasick on the one cruise I did, the whole cooped up aspect of being on a cruise ship (despite its size) didn't appeal to me in the least. I'd rather not have my vacation fully programmed and not be able to get away from the thousands of other people.

benb
10-27-2015, 08:13 AM
I always tell people this story.. after being stuck on the ship from NYC to Florida we get off at Cape Canaveral and get on the bus to go see the space center... the tour operator on the bus proceeds to say this ( maybe she was ex-military or something?)

"Welcome to my bus, I hope you enjoy visiting the space complex. I regret to inform you that we will not be feeding you every 15 minutes on this tour."

It was pretty hysterical at the time as those first 2 days on the boat were the real shocker in terms of the food consumption.

bobswire
10-27-2015, 08:19 AM
how the hell is that actually propelled?

Anyone else notice there's no connection from wheels to anything that resembles something that could propel those pontoons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZiJMilYMG0

Peter P.
10-27-2015, 03:42 PM
^^^

I don't know what kind of room you are paying for, but the average rooms is too small to fit a bike in.

Just run around the ship, they have a running track around it.

The heck with running around the ship-bring your bike and RIDE it around the deck! Sprint up the port side; recover on the starboard side. Repeat. Terrorize the passengers! Extra points for running over pets and children!

You'll save space too, because you won't have to bring your trainer.

Louis
10-27-2015, 04:33 PM
Learn to cliff-dive then swim really fast and climb up a rope. Repeat.

Cross-training.

vqdriver
10-27-2015, 05:55 PM
meh. you can contribute to race conditioning in other ways. i say hit the onboard gym and lift weights and work on flexibility on a yoga ball or something.

what a royal pita to bring that setup into a cruise ship cabin.

Alan
10-27-2015, 07:24 PM
I hit the spinning classes most every day. The only tough days were when we had high waves and you could feel the ship going up and down a lot. I had to be careful that I didn't crash the spinning bike or get sea sick.

I was able to keep my sanity for a week.

Alan

nicrump
10-27-2015, 07:33 PM
a cruise? leave the bike. pack a fire extinguisher and personal sewage treatment plant.

couldn't resist.

benb
10-28-2015, 06:39 AM
a cruise? leave the bike. pack a fire extinguisher and personal sewage treatment plant.

couldn't resist.

You forgot lots of hand sanitizer and medical masks.

Ray
10-28-2015, 06:45 AM
You forgot lots of hand sanitizer and medical masks.

I was on an Alaskan cruise this summer. You couldn't enter or leave a public space without a crew member standing there with a squirt bottle of hand sanitizer more or less INSISTING you take some. And in the less used spaces where the crew wasn't squirting the stuff, there were dispensers EVERYWHERE. No problems on that ship.

To the OP, trying to set up a bike and trainer in a cruise cabin is sheer madness. Pure freaking insanity. Unless you've got big $$$ and you have one of the huge suites or something. I'd imagine those would have plenty of room, but the typical cruise cabin doesn't have space for something like that other than the little entrance hallway.

Use the gym facilities or just enjoy the time off...

-Ray

inlimbo87
10-28-2015, 12:01 PM
I couldn't imagine trying to lug a trainer around with me on vacation. Enjoy your trip! Should be plenty of ways to keep fit if you should choose.

merlinmurph
10-28-2015, 12:17 PM
One of the things I like about going away is that it tears me away from the things at home. If I don't have my bike, I don't obsess about having to ride and can go out and do other stuff without feeling guilty. It's kinda nice. I'm not much of a reader, but sometimes when I'm away on a relaxing vacation (like when we go to Block I), I enjoy actually sitting down and reading a book.

So OP, use this as a chance to kick back and do other stuff. Never mind the fact that the logistics would suck.

Enjoy your trip.