PDA

View Full Version : While we are talking about favorites, GPS watch for running

Cicli
10-26-2015, 04:09 PM
And every day use.
I am happy with my Garmin 520 so, I was looking at the Forerunner 620. I run in the winter for fitness. Its better for me than a trainer and or riding outside in the snow. That has never worked for me.

So.......... what are some of the runners favorite GPS watch gizmos?

MattTuck
10-26-2015, 04:21 PM
And every day use.
I am happy with my Garmin 520 so, I was looking at the Forerunner 620. I run in the winter for fitness. Its better for me than a trainer and or riding outside in the snow. That has never worked for me.

So.......... what are some of the runners favorite GPS watch gizmos?

What is your desired purpose? Most of my friends that run (not me) use a phone with a bluetooth HRM like the Ticker or Ticker X from Wahoo.

A bunch of apps to record the run and send it to whatever website you use to keep track of stuff.

guido
10-26-2015, 04:46 PM
I like my 620 a lot. It doesn't do the navigational things the Edge units do but I'm more of a known loop sort of runner than a wilderness trail runner type... But I really like the running dynamics data, the VO2 max and recovery stuff and the workout capabilities. It is great indoors on a treadmill as well... This said Garmin just announced the 630 which ups the ante still more by adding activity tracking, some navigation, lots of device integration, lactate threshold testing, etc...
HTH.

crownjewelwl
10-26-2015, 04:47 PM
Love my fenix 3...great for multi sport use

milkbaby
10-26-2015, 08:28 PM
I have an old Garmin 610 which is fine except for the old battery that doesn't hold a charge as long as I'd like. I only bought it because my exgf wanted me to have a GPS watch for when we ran together, otherwise I used to just keep track of the time with a Timex Ironman.

wc1934
10-26-2015, 08:32 PM
I am still using my old garmin fr 60 - fulfills my basics (distance, pace, time, cadence, stride length, hr, calories etc).

This dude - dc rainmaker has a good cite - http://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews/garmin

p nut
10-26-2015, 08:40 PM
Love my fenix 3...great for multi sport use

I use a Fenix 2, but they're great. I wear mine just as an everyday watch as well. Highly recommended.

dustyrider
10-26-2015, 09:01 PM
I switch between a garmin forerunner 405 and a timex ironman. I like heart rate monitoring and mileage on new rides/runs. Once I know the course, time is all I care about. I rarely keep track; it's just for show!

morrisericd
10-27-2015, 05:07 AM
I also love my Fenix 3. I'm using it more and more on the bike as well - especially cyclocross races and "fun" rides. Added benefit is the multi-sport angle. I use it for Paddleboarding (interesting to check out your tracks after) and looking forward to backcountry skiing with it this winter. If you want to research it be cautious looking through the Garmin forums. Some users have issues with their tracks (I don't) and are very, very vocal about it.

oldguy00
10-27-2015, 06:52 AM
Been using garmins for a while.
For a *run specific* watch, I think you are likely going overkill with the 620. Yes it is sort of run specific, but it has features you'll never use.
The Garmin 10 and Garmin 15 are great for running, and won't break the bank.

I run with a lot of fast guys, all run 2:50's or lower marathons, and none of them bother with the expensive stuff. All you need is the basic GPS watch that provides pace, average pace, distance, time/timer.

Now if you are looking to use it for more than running, ie. tri's, biking, etc. then you want to start looking at the forerunner/Fenix stuff... I use a 910XT for triathlon now.

deechee
10-27-2015, 08:41 AM
920XT. I received it as a birthday present, and I thought it was a bit big, but I've gotten used to it. I love that I can wear it for more than a week with my runs and occasional bike rides and the battery doesn't need charging. Big display, easy to read. Works for open water swims on my wrist too; no need to put it in your swim cap. I wear it everyday to work.

Mark McM
10-27-2015, 08:45 AM
If you like the 520, why not using while running?

I'm currently using this Garmin mount system (https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/prod1233.html), which includes a wriststrap, for cross-country skiing with a Garmin 800.

ptourkin
10-27-2015, 08:48 AM
The non-cyclist, non-tri runners I know, mostly ultra-runners, use Suunto Ambits (same parent company as Mavic, btw.) I have a used Ambit2 and an Ambit3 Sport if you need one....