PDA

View Full Version : Mystery index steering issues

EPOJoe
10-25-2015, 10:33 PM
OK, so a few months back I noticed that the headset on one of my bikes was having some issues with index steering, popping into and sticking in a straight forward handlebar position when I let the bars swing freely. Just out of curiosity, I checked my other bikes, and unfortunately found another that was having the exact same problem. The confusing thing for me is that both the headsets on these bikes are relatively new (Campy Record and Cane Creek) with only around 4k miles on each. Investigating, I removed both headsets, cleaned and re-greased, and inspected everything, seeing no signs of any pitting or indentations in the races. Well, that solved the problem, but only for around a month, and now both bikes are showing the index steering again. I'm no expert, so it's possible that there's wear there that I'm not seeing, but is this normal for headsets with only 4k miles on them?

Thanks much,
Joe

bewheels
10-25-2015, 10:40 PM
Because I have to ask...any chance there is something else getting caught or interfering with movement? Cables, wires, etc.

Did you try repositioning the cups, bearings, etc to see if it is still there in the same spot?

EPOJoe
10-26-2015, 12:12 AM
Because I have to ask...any chance there is something else getting caught or interfering with movement? Cables, wires, etc.

Did you try repositioning the cups, bearings, etc to see if it is still there in the same spot?

Yep, checked the cables, and they're not causing it. I moved the bearings and the upper cup section to a different position when I cleaned and re-greased.

Dude
10-26-2015, 10:51 AM
Index steering is usually do to the headset being overtightened.

1) When you checked for pitting/indentations, how did you do it? Take a ball point pen or dental pick and run it along the race. You might feel something that a visual inspection missed.

2) Okay, you've ruled out no pitting/indentations. What about the bearings themselves? Could the ball bearings/retainers been compromised when the steering was indexed? While you're in there, get rid of the retainers too, they're useless (properly tensioned headsets will space the ball bearings correctly).

3)Assuming everything is fully functional, there is a proper way to setup a headset. The best way is the Barnett Bicycle Institute way basically start with the headset loose- tighten stem, check headset tension, if loose, loosen stem, tighten headset by 6th of a turn check headset tension, if loose, loosen stem, tighten headset by 6th of a turn check headset tension, if loose, loosen stem, tighten headset by 6th of a turn check headset tension, if loose, loosen stem, tighten headset by 6th of a turn.
If you notice that headset tension isn't loose anymore, loosen stem and LOOSEN headset tension by 1/6 of a turn. Tighten stem back up and check headset tension. If the headset becomes loose, tighten headset 1/6 of a turn, tighten stem and you're done.

This puts the least amount of tension on the headset while still supporting the bearings and races.

So, let's say you do all of this perfectly and there are still issues? Is the headtube faced properly? THEN I don't know. Try cursing at it.

Peter P.
10-26-2015, 05:45 PM
I had something similar happen on a bike where I replaced the headset only to have indexing recur in about 6 months. I suspected something was amiss; my head tube was cracked.

rustychisel
10-26-2015, 06:22 PM
my head tube was cracked.

yowser, that might do it.

Couple of other thoughts, if its not cables interfering or impacted races or bearings, then

- when reassembled did it go back together exactly properly? Could a thrust washer be upside down, for example?
- did you drop the fork out and examine carefully for tapering or steerer bulging which might bind inside the headtube?
- check that cups are sitting square and flush and frames are faced correctly (if it's those listed then yes, I guess they'd be properly prepped).
- anyway, 4k miles is nothing on a good well adjusted headset, so it's likely not that unless you often ride through tropical cyclones or carwashes.

pinkshogun
10-26-2015, 06:25 PM
with caged bearing headsets make sure the bearings are facing the right direction

ultraman6970
10-26-2015, 07:09 PM
Are we talking about threaded headsets in here or not???

If threaded, sometimes the headset tends to get tighter with time and you end up with indexing, and that could explain why is coming back.