PDA

View Full Version : Ot: P-t! F-c!

JAllen
10-25-2015, 09:38 PM
Went to my first Portland Timbers match! We pretty well stomped Colorado 4 to 1. I will definitely be attending more games in the future.

Anyone been to any pro matches before or are diehard fans?

buldogge
10-25-2015, 09:48 PM
We have a 1yo USL team here in the STLFC...they struggled a bit in their 1st year, but we still had a great time at the matches.

I am also a WHUFC fan, while I wasn't there to watch them beat Chelsea yesterday (:p) I did attend a game at the Boleyn Ground in '99, even if it was against Middlesborough! Great fun...

BTW...I spent some time outside the gates of the Timbers-Houston match when I was in Portland in Aug. and the energy was amazing...you guys have a great thing going there!

-Mark in St. Louis

dpk501
10-25-2015, 09:50 PM
The TA section is where it's at!!

buldogge
10-25-2015, 10:03 PM
We were walking back to the Hotel Deluxe, from Nob Hill, down Morrison right behind the supporter's GA sections...the Timbers were losing at the time but the energy was still quite strong...good support!

-Mark

The TA section is where it's at!!

gianni
10-25-2015, 10:09 PM
Sounders. It will be a crazy week!:beer:

alexstar
10-25-2015, 11:17 PM
I don't really follow MLS, but when I root, I root for the Timbers!

JAllen
10-26-2015, 10:45 AM
Yeah the atmosphere is amazing! I don't think I've seen a fan culture like it. I'll definitely be following the team more closely.

Now if we can just get an NHL team in Portland...

azrider
10-26-2015, 10:58 AM
My wife is from PDX so we take a few trips a year up there and on our last visit we went to a Timbers game and sat right smack dab in middle of the Timbers Army section and it was a friggin blast.

I never knew a soccer game, or match, could be that fun. They definitely take it seriously up there.

azrider
10-26-2015, 11:17 AM
still had the pic on my phone.......ha........

dpk501
10-26-2015, 11:18 AM
Yeah the atmosphere is amazing! I don't think I've seen a fan culture like it. I'll definitely be following the team more closely.

Now if we can just get an NHL team in Portland...

Winterhawks are good but I agree. Time for NHL AND NFL!

JAllen
10-26-2015, 01:20 PM
still had the pic on my phone.......ha........
My wife took a bunch of photos. Some real nice ones too.

Winterhawks are good but I agree. Time for NHL AND NFL!

I love the winterhawks. blast to go to. I don't know that we could ever have enough pull to get an NFL team.

brownhound
10-26-2015, 03:38 PM
Been a few times, as I have a pal in Portland who is big in the 107ists. I'm a lifelong soccer fan and took him to his first PT match in 2004. Amazing that it exists in the US, frankly.

JAllen
12-06-2015, 07:33 PM
How about them Timbers?!?! :)

buldogge
12-06-2015, 07:41 PM
I like the Timbers...great energy...but...probably good for them that Columbus made those mistakes today.

Neither team looked too impressive (today) from what I saw (didn't see the whole match).

BTW...Crew fans should be ashamed, after that beer can throwing!

Congrats!

-Mark in St. Louis

How about them Timbers?!?! :)

BobC
12-07-2015, 05:39 AM
BTW...Crew fans should be ashamed, after that beer can throwing!

Congrats!

-Mark in St. Louis

Amen, that was ridiculous. I also heard that fans were grabbing at Timbers players taking corners. MLS better take care of that really quick --- fine the crap out of the Crew.

brownhound
12-07-2015, 02:23 PM
I thought the Timbers, more or less, dominated from beginning to end. They should've had 3 or 4 goals and looked surprisingly good on the counter-attack. The Crew's chances were mostly half-chances. Usual American sports story -- team gets hot at precisely the right time and goes on mini-streak through playoffs and rides it to victory!

The real long term benefit of the Timbers' win is having a market that is very profitable and receives huge amounts of press and local adoration that is unlikely to trail off. MLS teams have had versions of the Timbers before, but after several years of mediocrity have become less adored. I'm glad it's likely to continue at Providence Park for the foreseeable future.

That being said, I'd be surprised to see another Cup win. They didn't strike me as a dominant team (e.g., old DC, recent LA). Rather, a third seed team that got hot.