PDA

View Full Version : Where does Calfee fit in...?

wooly
05-21-2006, 09:24 AM
With all of the newer carbon players in the market now, where does Calfee fit into the mix? I've got the opportunity to purchase a barely used Dragonfly Pro that would fit perfectly and am wondering if it's worth the effort. There are sooooo many players out there with great offerings such as Parlee, Crumpton, Scott, Colnago, Cervelo and now Serotta with the Meivici. Are the Dragonfly and the other Calee offerings, not to say out of date, but not as cutting edge as the others?

I've been fortunate to have owned some nice ones but a Calfee has never made it into the garage.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

eddief
05-21-2006, 10:14 AM
at no risk of sounding like a broken record, you know I have been riding this Giant OCR C. Let's say it was a relatively inexpensive frameset to purchase. Let's say it has far surpassed my hopes for carbon. So light, so responsive, so modulating of the ride experience in a good way for me. I wonder if some would say the monocoque design by Giant is up to date or cutting edge or not?

All I can say are good things about everything except maybe the lanky look resulting from getting the bars up high through spacers and riser stem. Otherwise, I'm already ready to have Steve Rex build me a pure custom carbon something or other.

So I'd recommend you do some carbon riding on a bike that fits cause I could not tell with the off the rack test ride I took. I nearly had to build it with my parts and my contact points dialed in order to appreciate it.

Will a $2200 Steve Rex custom match the likes of a Serotta, Crumpton, Parlee, Hampsten, etc? My bet is yes, but we all need to buy and ride what we like and what will make us feel good on and off the bike.

Ride that Calfee and check it out. Let us know.

Headwinds
05-21-2006, 10:39 AM
It all depends on your budget... If you can afford a MeiVici, why get a used Calfee? I think a MeiVici will have a much better resale value than the 'fee and you will enjoy having the latest in carbon technology.

But I believe, because of Craig Calfee's experience in the (race proven) manufacturing of carbon bikes, that his bikes are some of the best out there. He was one of the first to ever make a full carbon bike.

IMO, you can't go wrong with the workmanship and quality of detail that goes into a Calfee and compare that to a Scott, Colnago or Cervelo. Maybe I would compare it to a (top of the line) Parlee or Crumpton, but not the others.

But I think carbon bikes are just carbon bikes no matter what... I have ridden a few brands, including a Calfee for one racing season. Today, I would rather go with another material or better yet a bike that combines materials, such as the Ottrott.

stevep
05-21-2006, 12:41 PM
But I think carbon bikes are just carbon bikes no matter what...

huh? and all steel frames are the same also, i was going to buy a steel richard sachs but decided to save some money and buy a cro mo univega instead...because obviously steel is steel and these bikes are interchangeable.

shinomaster
05-21-2006, 01:08 PM
calfees explode when they crash. :no:

csm
05-21-2006, 01:34 PM
do they still make univegas? what about panasonic?

vandeda
05-21-2006, 01:37 PM
calfees explode when they crash. :no:

you should try and stop crashing so often then, it's faaaaaaaar more fun to stay upright :banana:

shinomaster
05-21-2006, 01:50 PM
I have a cannondale.

stevep
05-21-2006, 02:33 PM
they explode without being crashed.

serotta andrew..this is so slow that by the time the screen comes up i forget what i was going to say!!
i think

1centaur
05-21-2006, 02:37 PM
To answer the question seriously, and as a CF afficionado:

Calfee, Crumpton and Parlee use the same tube maker, and I really like those tubes (each is differently specified but they are all quiet and damp vibration nicely which not all the Asian tubes I have ridden can claim). I don't think there's anything really more cutting edge about a Crumpton or a Parlee than a Calfee. The differences are more about aesthetics of tube joining and how each maker specifies the layup than something new and improved.

The Fly is supposed to be a bit stiffer than the Tetra due to the boron. If I had one criticism of the Tetra vs. Crumpton and Parlee it was that it lacked a touch of oomph in the BB. That said, I expect any Calfee to have a top quality build and lasting sense of that quality. Getting one slightly used at a good price sounds good if you like the looks.

Scott and Cervelo bring something new to the table - lighter and stiffer thanks to new manufacturing techniques. Those are cool in their way but they will be left behind by next year's lighter and stiffer, while today's Calfees, Crumptons and Parlees will remain classic examples of the best ride qualities of CF.

The Meivici...we have not yet received data/feedback that would suggest it rides better than the best CF bikes which cost a lot less. Serotta seems focused on great ride with great customization. If you don't need the customization I would wait for more feedback from the beta testers.

DfCas
05-21-2006, 06:28 PM
Has a Boron fiber main triangle,said to provide a slightly more metallic road feel along with weight savings.So,I think that tubeset is more advanced than most other carbon frames out there today.All 3 Calfee models share the same rear triangle,but the Dfly has more material removed from the dropouts.

I would expect it to be a rockin ride with top notch service available from Calfee if you ever need that.

dan

palincss
05-21-2006, 06:50 PM
To answer the question seriously, and as a CF afficionado:

Calfee, Crumpton and Parlee use the same tube maker, and I really like those tubes (each is differently specified but they are all quiet and damp vibration nicely which not all the Asian tubes I have ridden can claim). I don't think there's anything really more cutting edge about a Crumpton or a Parlee than a Calfee. The differences are more about aesthetics of tube joining and how each maker specifies the layup than something new and improved.

So what's important about "cutting edge"? I thought what mattered was that the frame fit you properly, and that it was a good fit for the sort of riding you wanted to do. What can possibly be "cutting edge" about a lugged steel frame today? And yet, how many of you would turn your nose up at a Richard Sachs? So what's so special about one of those, anyway?

And honestly, for recreational riders -- and I believe that virtually all here are recreational riders -- what difference would it make if indeed there was some "cutting edge" technological difference between these frames?

eddief
05-21-2006, 07:12 PM
I always wanted to use that word.

Let's face it this is not a linear issue:

aesthetics
fit
wallet
ego
status
type of riding
type of roads
ego
values
appreciation of the finer things (you define)
variety as the spice
happiness is a warm gun

gasman
05-21-2006, 07:19 PM
Has a Boron fiber main triangle,said to provide a slightly more metallic road feel along with weight savings.So,I think that tubeset is more advanced than most other carbon frames out there today.All 3 Calfee models share the same rear triangle,but the Dfly has more material removed from the dropouts.

I would expect it to be a rockin ride with top notch service available from Calfee if you ever need that.

dan

Craig says that all three models ride exactly the same just the D'fly is lighter. My Tetra is a great ride, very comfortable,responsive and a pleasure to ride. if you can get a good good deal on the bike and enjoy the ride you won't be sorry.

e-RICHIE
05-21-2006, 07:28 PM
So what's important about "cutting edge"? I thought what mattered was that the frame fit you properly, and that it was a good fit for the sort of riding you wanted to do. What can possibly be "cutting edge" about a lugged steel frame today?
the joining process has nothing to do with it atmo.

And yet, how many of you would turn your nose up at a Richard Sachs? So what's so special about one of those, anyway?

And honestly, for recreational riders -- and I believe that virtually all here are recreational riders -- what difference would it make if indeed there was some "cutting edge" technological difference between these frames?
it's like anything else you spend money on or
simply covet; if you want one and can get one,
get it. if you don't (want one...), or don't get it,
don't get it.

Dr. Doofus
05-21-2006, 07:46 PM
a cat who is fstrthn this whole forum says calfee's are kick butt

(and some antiquated red things are reputedly the 'ish for kicking 'cross butt)

e-RICHIE
05-21-2006, 07:51 PM
a cat who is fstrthn this whole forum says calfee's are kick butt

(but not as kick butt for 'cross as some antiquated red things that are, reputedly, the 'ish for kicking 'cross butt)

you guys want to kick butt?
call rc, cc, or just train.
the bike is a tool.

Dr. Doofus
05-21-2006, 08:00 PM
the bike is a tool.

indeed

(genetics also help)

but some dudes make some purdy good tools, yo

(speakin of tools, you want the doof's rusted out 1978-ish Craftsman push mower? still runs and he used it today -- its pretty bad-azz)

e-RICHIE
05-21-2006, 08:08 PM
indeed

(genetics also help)

then call vic conte atmo

Dr. Doofus
05-21-2006, 08:12 PM
then call vic conte atmo

doof is a tower

(tllrthnu, anyway)

but he don't need that kind of power

so come on, how about that lawn mower? fully prepped and shipped to your door for a cost of only 10 bucks and a package of van's frozen waffles. and its red yo.

Fixed
05-21-2006, 08:37 PM
the bike is a tool.
bro as always words of wisdom ...... i.m.h.o.
cheers

ergott
05-21-2006, 08:42 PM
the bike is a tool.

If you really believed that, you wouldn't be building them, especially not the way you do. That's like saying Michelangelo just put paint and canvass together. Art baby, plain and simple.

e-RICHIE
05-21-2006, 08:46 PM
If you really believed that, you wouldn't be building them, especially not the way you do. That's like saying Michelangelo just put paint and canvass together. Art baby, plain and simple.

wrong - certainly in the context of this thread,
i believe it more than most. how i choose to
spend my days has nothing to do with the fact
that it is the rider, not the bicycle. isn't that where
this thread was?

ergott
05-21-2006, 08:52 PM

I agree, but your bikes are not just tools. Noone is going to win a race on your bike that they wouldn't have with just about any other bike out there. The difference is that there are some lucky riders out there that look good doing it with bikes like yours. Art.

Dr. Doofus
05-21-2006, 08:54 PM
i believe it more than most. how i choose to
spend my days has nothing to do with the fact
that i believe it is the rider, not the bicycle.
isn't that where this thread was?

agreed

there are good tools, ok tools, and cruddy tools.

good rider + cruddy tool = good results happy rider

ok rider + ok tool = ok results not happy rider

cruddy rider + good tool = cruddy results happy rider

pointless autobiographical digression:

doof wants to work up his new frame for 40th b-day for the happy. doof knows his results and his powermeter -- they don't make the happy. ridley make doof the happy in corners and in the fast. gunnar only make doof the happy on the slow. new bike will not make doof the fast but will make doof more the happy in the corners and in the fast. its all about the happy.

e-RICHIE
05-21-2006, 08:55 PM
I agree, but your bikes are not just tools. Noone is going to win a race on your bike that they wouldn't have with just about any other bike out there. The difference is that there are some lucky riders out there that look good doing it with bikes like yours. Art.

thanks - but the cat2 license in me
adheres to the previous posts. what
we all do for a living, and the pursuits
we chase, is a sidebar - especially for
me here. i'm posting as a user, not a
maker atmo.

SoCalSteve
05-21-2006, 09:19 PM
Im posting as a user, not a maker as well...

I have owned many carbon bikes. Calfee, Fondriest, a few different ones from Trek, Colnago and I am sure there are a few that I just cant remember anymore.

As for Calfee, I was not too impressed (well, the paint job was beautiful) and I sold it after about a 1000 miles of riding. It just didnt "cut it". I dont know if I can explain why it didnt, it just didnt.

At the moment, I own a C-50 and a Trek Y-Foil. The Colnago beats the Calfee hands down, imho.

Save your $$$ and get something better (different) than a Calfee.

Enjoy!

Steve

Headwinds
05-21-2006, 09:47 PM
huh? and all steel frames are the same also....

In case I was not clear enough, this is what I meant:

you guys want to kick butt? call rc, cc, or just train. the bike is a tool.

e-RICHIE
05-21-2006, 09:48 PM
In case I was not clear enough, this is what I meant:

are you channeling me atmo?

mflaherty37
05-21-2006, 10:01 PM
I am posting as a poser, not a user or play maker. I rode one of those Giant TCR's the dud talked of, it rode great. I rode a 5200, it didn't ride great. I still ain't tradin this CSI I got.

Headwinds
05-21-2006, 10:03 PM
are you channeling me atmo?
Chan·nel·ing [chánn'ling]
noun
1. supposed spiritual communication through medium: in spiritualism, the practice of acting as a medium for receiving messages believed to come from the spirit world
2. creation of channel: the making of a channel in or on something

Well, e-RICHIE, any good Spirit* like yourself is worth channeling with....

*Spirit as defined:
paranormal supernatural entity: a supernatural being that does not have a physical body, e.g. a ghost, angel, or demon.
Which I think all you great builders are ;)

Not as is booze! :eek: :eek:

slowgoing
05-21-2006, 10:20 PM
I bought a stock tetra pro a few years back. Climbed great, great power transfer, but skittish descending. Overall, I didn't like it. Gave it to my brother. He liked it less and gave it back. You might want to see if you can demo one before you buy. A lot of people swear by them, just not me.

gasman
05-21-2006, 10:24 PM
Im posting as a user, not a maker as well...

I have owned many carbon bikes. Calfee, Fondriest, a few different ones from Trek, Colnago and I am sure there are a few that I just cant remember anymore.

As for Calfee, I was not too impressed (well, the paint job was beautiful) and I sold it after about a 1000 miles of riding. It just didnt "cut it". I dont know if I can explain why it didnt, it just didnt.

At the moment, I own a C-50 and a Trek Y-Foil. The Colnago beats the Calfee hands down, imho.

Save your $$$ and get something better (different) than a Calfee.

Enjoy!

Steve

This is why it is best to try before buying. I have tried several other carbon bikes and they were different than the Calfee, not better or worse just differnt.
Colnago makes a great bike but don't they have just a one year warranty on their frames ? Calfee gives a 25 year warranty and the two that I know have gone back have been returned better than before.Both frames were some 10 years old.

vaxn8r
05-22-2006, 05:33 AM
Cafee's are not skitish unless you request odd geometry or put some stupid fork on them. Check out the std geos and they match pretty much any racing bike.

Whether it's too soft in the BB or doesn't fit your riding style, is a question all must answer for themselves. I think the world of Craig Calfee. He has more experience in CF than anyone else. He fully stands behind his product. I would wager if his facility was in New England, many more of you would be singing his praises. That's what I call an east coast bias.

As for my opinion, I think it's a tool. A really exceptional tool if you like, light but not compromising light. Stiffness but not out of context of riding all day in comfort. I've raced mine in crits as well as DC's. IMHO it climbs great and descends with confidence. Maybe that's just me though.

My views of test rides are take them with a grain of salt. Unless the bike is set up in exactly the same manner as you're used to riding you may or may not get it. My guess is if your brain wants to like something already you probably will and vice versa.

Saxon
05-23-2006, 10:45 PM
Compared to most of the other carbon manufactures mentioned, Calfee's longevity, experience and success building custom carbon frames makes them the benchmark in many respects. Like any frame, some will like it and others will not. Top notch, quality construction and at the top of the heap in Carbon, IMHO.

Climb01742
05-24-2006, 06:57 AM
doof wants to work up his new frame for 40th b-day for the happy. doof knows his results and his powermeter -- they don't make the happy. ridley make doof the happy in corners and in the fast. gunnar only make doof the happy on the slow. new bike will not make doof the fast but will make doof more the happy in the corners and in the fast. its all about the happy.

good doof, this is a wise thing you said.

flydhest
05-24-2006, 10:42 AM
My experience riding a Calfee was positive. It's a good bike. Quick, agile. Not entirely to my tastes, though. A bit longer top tube or stem for fit/comfort would have been good for me, as it wasn't my bike, but it's a good bike. I got to put over a hundred miles over a weekend in San Diego on a pretty high zoot Giant. It too is a very good bike. I was less comfy descending at high speed on it, but it was responsive and such.

After riding the Meivici, I'm curious to try others that are at the top of the league for carbon to see what they do with it, but I'm still not convinced.

What do I know, I was on a steel bike with a steel fork wearing wool and riding tubulars at Nottrott.

Climb01742
05-24-2006, 10:48 AM
as has been said a million times herein... there is no ultimate or perfect or best bike in the world. there's just the bike(s) each of us likes the best. it's funny that some folks got a bit bent when i "only" said the mei vici was as good as the best carbon frames i've ever ridden. is the only acceptable view of the mei vici is one that says its the best thing ever built? no bike is or could be that for everyone.

fly would be fly (as would too tall or manet or TK) on whatever they rode.

Kevan
05-24-2006, 11:23 AM
I think the world of Craig Calfee. He has more experience in CF than anyone else. He fully stands behind his product. I would wager if his facility was in New England, many more of you would be singing his praises. That's what I call an east coast bias.

Woid!

davids
05-24-2006, 11:56 AM
I think the world of Craig Calfee. He has more experience in CF than anyone else. He fully stands behind his product. I would wager if his facility was in New England, many more of you would be singing his praises. That's what I call an east coast bias.
Huh? Yeah, "we" can't stand those left-coast bikes. "We" all got together and decided. :confused:

Now, excuse me while I wipe up my drool. I've been looking at Vanillas again...

RichardSeton
05-24-2006, 12:08 PM
Also, for what it's worth.

I test rode a Luna. For some reason, I found the Fierte IT to be much more responsive, more confortable, and felt more solid. I went with the Fierte, even though the luna was half a pound lighter, and a few hundred less expensive. You can look at parts, technical specs, weight, etc etc, but it's your rear end that will tell you which bike is right.

I bought a stock tetra pro a few years back. Climbed great, great power transfer, but skittish descending. Overall, I didn't like it. Gave it to my brother. He liked it less and gave it back. You might want to see if you can demo one before you buy. A lot of people swear by them, just not me.

OldDog
05-24-2006, 12:10 PM
What do I know, I was on a steel bike with a steel fork wearing wool and riding tubulars at Nottrott.

Appearently, you know enough!

fiamme red
05-24-2006, 12:10 PM
good doof, this is a wise thing you said.Translate it into English, please. :p