PDA

View Full Version : Bikes And ADHD

biker72
10-25-2015, 06:44 AM
Bike riding is being prescribed for kids diagnosed with ADHD.
See Here. (http://www.today.com/video/why-bike-riding-is-being-prescribed-for-kids-diagnosed-with-adhd-546739779617)

patrick8037
10-25-2015, 07:12 AM
As someone who has ADHD and works with kids who have ADHD, I wish Specialized would find another group to troll for publicity.

gemship
10-25-2015, 07:28 AM
As someone who has ADHD and works with kids who have ADHD, I wish Specialized would find another group to troll for publicity.

Yeah but Mike Sinyard did state "it's not about the brand". Face it getting more people on bikes is a good thing and Specialized has way more resources to support that cause or your cause to help out ADHD than any one of us.

joosttx
10-25-2015, 07:32 AM
Yeah but Mike Sinyard did state "it's not about the brand". Face it getting more people on bikes is a good thing and Specialized has way more resources to support that cause or your cause to help out ADHD than any one of us.

Getting more kids off adderall is a good thing too.

gemship
10-25-2015, 07:36 AM
Getting more kids off adderall is a good thing too.

I don't doubt it and it seems Specialized supports a decent alternative too adderall. Think about it....if you were a kid looking at a shiny new bike with the latest decals in proper working order you would be excited about exercise. Add to this that it's a group setting with your peers...

Sometimes we gotta set aside the hate toward corporations but yeah I get it.

etu
10-25-2015, 08:24 AM
i don't doubt it and it seems specialized supports a decent alternative too adderall. Think about it....if you were a kid looking at a shiny new bike with the latest decals in proper working order you would be excited about exercise. Add to this that it's a group setting with your peers...

Sometimes we gotta set aside the hate toward corporations but yeah i get it.

1+

thirdgenbird
10-25-2015, 09:26 AM

You don't want specialized helping others because you can't forgive them for cease and desist letters?

alancw3
10-25-2015, 09:40 AM
you don't want specialized helping others because you can't forgive them for cease and desist letters?

+1

rnhood
10-25-2015, 09:55 AM
Being that Rittalin, Adderall, and the like are probably the most over prescribed drugs today, especially since they are often prescribed for the ambiguous prognosis of AHDH, it only makes sense that we need to look for elements and activities that help raise the mood and outlook of children, and help instill the element of joy and motivation.

Props to Specialized for their efforts.

Tandem Rider
10-25-2015, 11:33 AM
If you think Specialized is a "Big Bad Corporation", give Novartis or Shire a look over. Personally, I'll take Mike any day.

zennmotion
10-25-2015, 11:50 AM
I can tell you with authority (as can most people who know me well) that there is nothing ambiguous about my ADD diagnosis, based on a combination of behavioral history, physical tests for balance/agility, lengthy 12-page survey results, and even an MRI scan. I wish we could extinguish the myth that ADHD is a myth, because despite the fact that it may be an incorrect or only partial diagnosis for some kids (and adults) who don't have time, money or full information to access the full array of testing that I have had, none of which was covered by my consistent and otherwise better than average insurance. ADHD is an accepted condition by the medical establishment fully supported by by peer-reviewed research (independent of the bigPharm)- they can even point to brain scan pictures now. So please don't diminish it based on something you read in popular media or some blog or a value judgement on how you think kids "should be raised"- it's insulting. Back to the OP's link- there is an increasing body of research that points to exercise as being beneficial for brain function and emotion, including ADHD, depression, addiction, and other conditions, nothing new there. Good for Specialized for promoting bikes for struggling kids- they wouldn't be the first company to find some financial synergy in supporting a cause- or not- the kids won't care about spesh's motivations. I do take issue with the article's implied assertion that ADHD meds can/should be simply replaced by a bicycle, or exercise, like it's just that simple- go ride regularly and be "cured". From my own experience, my own ADD was not "handled" by exercise alone. The times of my life when it most manifested- struggling with studies in a tough field in top schools for example, were also times when I was also training hard, HARD, for track, road riding and nordic skiing. A mid-career diagnosis as an adult, followed by a couple of years getting the meds right finally broke the fog and allowed me the brain space to take advantage of coaching, develop working tools and new habits, including exercise for management and mood. I could not have done it without the meds. Now the meds are on the shelf, I have them when needed, but no longer necessary most of the time. But faced with multiple, concurrent big writing assignments with tight deadlines- I'd wilt without them. For everyday, "normal" maintenance, I use my vintage fixed gear that I call my "Blue Brain" bike- the lack of gears and constant pedaling puts me in a positive zone more consistently and faster than a geared bike- no "training" or expectations or distractions- just ride. So if I had a kid with ADHD (sadly, I never had kids mostly because I never felt I could handle the additional stress and commitment because of the ADD, and when I was finally diagnosed, it was a bit late) If I had a kid with ADHD, I would definitely push the bike as a daily habit- or walking, running depending on weather, what the kid preferred etc. 30 mins daily. But no way would I consider that as a replacement for the other essential tools- it's not a magic simplistic solution. Meds, coaching, time management and focus building skills, mood and therapy... it's a package, and it's not an easy road. But there's more than just the negative side to ADHD and I would not give up that part of myself for anything now, because it comes with gifts and abilities as well. Back in the day, we were the dudes that dragged home the mammoth carcass while the rest of youse were shivering back in the cave and dying from hunger... If anybody out there wants to connect about ADHD and their kid, or themselves, PM me. My story has turned out just fine.

wildboar
10-25-2015, 01:44 PM
http://totallyadd.com/greg-lemond/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWA839CN8Bg

Elefantino
10-25-2015, 02:55 PM
Not a fan of Spesh or Sinyard, but in this case they rock. Good on them.

bcroslin
10-25-2015, 07:13 PM
kids on bikes is awesome no matter what big bad corpo is responsible. the best thing to happen to my screwed up pre-adolescent brain was riding my bike.

patrick8037
10-25-2015, 07:13 PM
You don't want specialized helping others because you can't forgive them for cease and desist letters?

If you think their motive is altruism rather than finding new ways to advertise Hot Rocks, I think you need the Adderall prescription more than me.

joosttx
10-25-2015, 07:18 PM
kids on bikes is awesome no matter what big bad corpo is responsible. the best thing to happen to my screwed up pre-adolescent brain was riding my bike.

amen.

msl819
10-25-2015, 07:47 PM
Bike riding is being prescribed for kids diagnosed with ADHD.
See Here. (http://www.today.com/video/why-bike-riding-is-being-prescribed-for-kids-diagnosed-with-adhd-546739779617)

Mike talked about this fairly extensively in his Mission Workshop Maker Series appearance. He talks about how it helped him and his son and why he feels the way he does. I can't find a link right now... Ok I am lazy and don't want to really look, but it shouldn't be hard to find.

thirdgenbird
10-25-2015, 07:58 PM
If you think their motive is altruism rather than finding new ways to advertise Hot Rocks, I think you need the Adderall prescription more than me.

I care more about the impact they are making and it sure sounds like the people involved are benefiting. So what if specalized gets some sales out of it. I would gladly see them sell a few hotrocks in turn for kids getting off prescription medication and/or improving their grades.

verticaldoug
10-26-2015, 05:19 AM
http://www.bicycling.com/culture/people/riding-my-ritalin-how-one-cyclist-gained-control-over-his-adhd

Doesn't anyone remember this article in Bicycling 5 years ago?
Riding is my Ritalin

echelon_john
10-26-2015, 05:48 AM
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95684

biker72
10-26-2015, 07:16 AM
More Specialized Foundation Here (http://www.specializedfoundation.org/)

Joxster
10-26-2015, 08:40 AM
I read this a while back, I'm not sure how true or accurate it is but its quite interesting

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/suffer-the-children/201203/why-french-kids-dont-have-adhd

SlackMan
10-26-2015, 08:48 AM
I read this a while back, I'm not sure how true or accurate it is but its quite interesting

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/suffer-the-children/201203/why-french-kids-dont-have-adhd

Interesting read, but it seems difficult to square that view with the strong evidence of biological origins, e.g., that pre-term birth significantly increases the risk of being diagnosed as ADHD compared even to (same household) siblings that were full-term birth.

firerescuefin
10-26-2015, 08:54 AM
I care more about the impact they are making and it sure sounds like the people involved are benefiting. So what if specalized gets some sales out of it. I would gladly see them sell a few hotrocks in turn for kids getting off prescription medication and/or improving their grades.

Wouldn't be surprising if multiple folks in the Specialized family have been touched by ADD. Not everything is marketing. As you said....great cause. I applaud them for this (and I am no big S fan).

lovethesport
10-26-2015, 09:07 AM
Believe it... cycling works to mitigate the negative impact of living with ADD
for boys and adults(... the best fighter pilots in WWII had ADD)

zennmotion
10-26-2015, 09:13 AM

"French child psychiatrists don't use the same system of classification of childhood emotional problems as American psychiatrists. They do not use the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders or DSM. According to Sociologist Manuel Vallee, the French Federation of Psychiatry developed an alternative classification system as a resistance to the influence of the DSM-3. This alternative was the CFTMEA (Classification Fran軋ise des Troubles Mentaux de L'Enfant et de L'Adolescent), first released in 1983, and updated in 1988 and 2000. The focus of CFTMEA is on identifying and addressing the underlying psychosocial causes of children's symptoms, not on finding the best pharmacological bandaids with which to mask symptoms."

And that's all you need to read from the article, the rest is an excellent exercise that could be used as a case study how not to interpret social research.

It's an apples and oranges comparison, or at least an oranges and grapefruit over how a diagnosis is defined by two different sets of criteria, using different (literally different) language. Part of the "confusion" over diagnosis is that, especially in the US DSM ADD/HD is based on a broadly defined set of behaviors and conditions. This is changing, and subcategories are being defined as research further clarifies. As to the article, Psychology Today is not exactly a peer-reviewed research journal, it's popular media sold as infotainment, the article is ridiculous IMO (French kids are raised with more discipline therefore nobody in France has ADHD, really???). And the author has an agenda to sell her book that was written in order to confirm her own "commonsense" approach to childrearing- one that does not allow for diversity with kids who are wired with different brain pathways. This reminds me that I need to tell my 50-years-as-an-elementary-teacher Mom and Clergyman Dad that they weren't strict enough in my upraising, it's all their fault... The French Lady "expert" said so...

merlinmurph
10-26-2015, 11:21 AM

Really? So Specialized (or any other large company) isn't allowed to do anything good in the world without someone claiming an ulterior motive?

So, what are they doing, brainwashing kids with subliminal messages to buy their bikes? Do they make the kids sign a commitment to buy a Spec bike in the next 3 years?

I can be a wicked cynic, too, but sometimes you just have to give someone credit for doing something good.

rugbysecondrow
10-26-2015, 11:44 AM
I can tell you with authority (as can most people who know me well) that there is nothing ambiguous about my ADD diagnosis, based on a combination of behavioral history, physical tests for balance/agility, lengthy 12-page survey results, and even an MRI scan.....

Thanks for writing this. We are currently working with our 9 year old daughter who might have ADD, currently working with Dr. and school.

Not just biking, but other activities seem to help her tremendously. I first noticed when zip-lining on an obstacle-ropes course 20-40' feet up in the trees, walking on cables, navigating obstacles and over coming fear. I take her to indoor rock climbing courses and she is a beast, and I say it not just because she is my daughter, but other adults watch her problem solve and being tenacious. It is quite remarkable how well she can do. It seems she able to focus much better in situations like that. I am not certain if her mind is unlocked in a different way, but at moments when fear hits other people, she is able to work it out.

One might have nothing to do with the other, but I suspect they are linked.

zennmotion
10-26-2015, 12:21 PM
Thanks for writing this. We are currently working with our 9 year old daughter who might have ADD, currently working with Dr. and school.

Not just biking, but other activities seem to help her tremendously. I first noticed when zip-lining on an obstacle-ropes course 20-40' feet up in the trees, walking on cables, navigating obstacles and over coming fear. I take her to indoor rock climbing courses and she is a beast, and I say it not just because she is my daughter, but other adults watch her problem solve and being tenacious. It is quite remarkable how well she can do. It seems she able to focus much better in situations like that. I am not certain if her mind is unlocked in a different way, but at moments when fear hits other people, she is able to work it out.

The rock climbing affinity does not surprise me at all. A bit of an oversimplification, but ADD is actually a condition of excess focus, not really deficit. We are challenged by hyperfocus (over) that is no longer always a positive in modern life- once we're locked on to something it can take a huge effort to transition to something else. Especially if the something else is a math lesson. Schools and workplaces are not set up to accommodate the ADD brain. Frequent necessity to transition from one task/line of thought to the next, and multi-tasking does not work well (really for anybody but especially for the ADD brain) and breaking the fog to re-focus on what is "appropriate" is a key challenge to overcome. The ADD brain also seeks novelty and hyperfocus- hence the rock climbing with your daughter, she is letting her brain do what it really wants to do and focusing through the fear with resources that her parents may not share (although there is a genetic aspect of the condition, so what about you and the wife???). With me it was velodrome racing when studying in Montreal- I lacked the physiology to be really good but I was pretty intense about the the track, and later road.

93legendti
10-26-2015, 12:52 PM

My add daughter zoomed to the top of the local wall climbing course with little effort. To the top every time. I am afraid of heights, so it astounds me. In fact, it bores her now. She is really happy when she bikes, but it is hard to get her out on a regular basis. She also loves putting on my wife's makeup....go figure.

She is smart as a whip. Probably too smart...;)

rugbysecondrow
10-26-2015, 01:41 PM
The rock climbing affinity does not surprise me at all. A bit of an oversimplification, but ADD is actually a condition of excess focus, not really deficit. We are challenged by hyperfocus (over) that is no longer always a positive in modern life- once we're locked on to something it can take a huge effort to transition to something else. Especially if the something else is a math lesson. Schools and workplaces are not set up to accommodate the ADD brain. Frequent necessity to transition from one task/line of thought to the next, and multi-tasking does not work well (really for anybody but especially for the ADD brain) and breaking the fog to re-focus on what is "appropriate" is a key challenge to overcome. The ADD brain also seeks novelty and hyperfocus- hence the rock climbing with your daughter, she is letting her brain do what it really wants to do and focusing through the fear with resources that her parents may not share (although there is a genetic aspect of the condition, so what about you and the wife???). With me it was velodrome racing when studying in Montreal- I lacked the physiology to be really good but I was pretty intense about the the track, and later road.

Yes, she and I are very similar, we have actually raced to the top of the climb before, I only win because I am taller. ;) I am 38, and I suspect I had/have ADD, but managed my way through it as it wasn't something really identified then. I learned to adapt my learning style and have been fortunate to have a field and hobbies where my style actually benefits me.

Thanks for talking about this. I am just happy that we are catching some of this with her now and that she might not have to struggle through like I did. A minor miracle I made it.

rugbysecondrow
10-26-2015, 01:43 PM
My add daughter zoomed to the top of the local wall climbing course with little effort. To the top every time. I am afraid of heights, so it astounds me. In fact, it bores her now. She is really happy when she bikes, but it is hard to get her out on a regular basis. She also loves putting on my wife's makeup....go figure.

She is smart as a whip. Probably too smart...;)

Where we moved, the local rock climbing club has kid's teams, which I think is very cool. She and my daughter sound like they would have fun together. I love having girls.

93legendti
10-26-2015, 10:01 PM
Where we moved, the local rock climbing club has kid's teams, which I think is very cool. She and my daughter sound like they would have fun together. I love having girls.

I am sure they would have fun together.

If meds are prescribed, don't be discouraged if the first 2 or 3 don't work well. There is also a "snap back" that was pretty bad for our daughter when the meds wore off in the evening. The dr didn't tell us it was a possibility and it wasn't easy.

Our daughter was pretty intuitive, telling us she didn't like some of the meds and others she did. We saw improvement on every med she tried, which made it harder to gauge. At first we didn't know if she was serious, but she was right.

Interesting what zenmotion wrote about novelty and fear. Our daughter has zip lined 400' above the ground and rappeled down a 85' rock face that made my palms sweat.

And we went target shooting yesterday and she put round after round in the bullseye-.22lr.

rugbysecondrow
10-27-2015, 11:23 AM
I am sure they would have fun together.

If meds are prescribed, don't be discouraged if the first 2 or 3 don't work well. There is also a "snap back" that was pretty bad for our daughter when the meds wore off in the evening. The dr didn't tell us it was a possibility and it wasn't easy.

Our daughter was pretty intuitive, telling us she didn't like some of the meds and others she did. We saw improvement on every med she tried, which made it harder to gauge. At first we didn't know if she was serious, but she was right.

Interesting what zenmotion wrote about novelty and fear. Our daughter has zip lined 400' above the ground and rappeled down a 85' rock face that made my palms sweat.

And we went target shooting yesterday and she put round after round in the bullseye-.22lr.

Man, she sounds like my kid. My daughter loves to shoot, archery, climb, zip line. She is quite good with these activities as well. I even installed a zip-line in the back yard which she loves.

Good times.

93legendti
10-27-2015, 11:36 AM
Man, she sounds like my kid. My daughter loves to shoot, archery, climb, zip line. She is quite good with these activities as well. I even installed a zip-line in the back yard which she loves.

Good times.

Interesting similarities.

Unreal! A zip line in your back yard? Can you please post a pic?

rugbysecondrow
10-27-2015, 12:06 PM
Here you are. We moved into a new house a few months back, so I might make it longer after I clear some brush. I made it lower because of my smaller son and the little friends who use it.

It is a great toy, it gets way more use than the play set.

Don't mind the extra bouncing...she induces much of that herself.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkhttps://vimeo.com/143775198

93legendti
10-27-2015, 01:18 PM
Wow. Pretty cool. We have a Playset that is no longer used, a backyard that is at least 120' wide and 2 large trees on either side to anchor a zip line on....

Going to have to consider this one...

Thanks for sharing!

rugbysecondrow
10-27-2015, 01:19 PM
Wow. Pretty cool. We have a Playset that is no longer used, a backyard that is at least 120' wide and 2 large trees on either side to anchor a zip line on....

Going to have to consider this one...

Thanks for sharing!

You are welcome.