PDA

View Full Version : Tubular rim bulge, help me fix it?

seanile
10-24-2015, 07:31 PM
So I was riding my cross bike today and i hit a rock quite hard that was hidden by leaves, and this somehow caused my brake track to bulge .5 mm outward. It's enough to make front braking impossible due to the grabbing. The bulge itself is about 11 mm long. I'd like to not have to replace this rim, does anybody have any tips on how to fix this?

Tricky part: it's a tubular rim

Edit: it's an aluminum rim

cmbicycles
10-24-2015, 08:57 PM
know anyone with access to a cnc press brake? Would allow precise pressure to push it back, but not easy to come by unless you have sheet metal fab shop nearby. Could try using a bench vise if jaws are parallel and have some smooth jaw covers to prevent marring the rim, but .5mm is gonna be tough without precise tooling.

Dead Man
10-24-2015, 09:23 PM
I'd probably just bang it flat with a smooth faced framing hammer and check true

oldpotatoe
10-25-2015, 05:19 AM
So I was riding my cross bike today and i hit a rock quite hard that was hidden by leaves, and this somehow caused my brake track to bulge .5 mm outward. It's enough to make front braking impossible due to the grabbing. The bulge itself is about 11 mm long. I'd like to not have to replace this rim, does anybody have any tips on how to fix this?

Tricky part: it's a tubular rim

Edit: it's an aluminum rim

Plastic Mallet and gently smack it back in shape. Is the rim dented IN also? Toward the hub? May want to tie and solder it...:hello:

ultraman6970
10-25-2015, 08:16 AM
You need to hammer that down.

Or file it :/

iPaul
10-25-2015, 08:49 AM
What others have said. Hammer back flat. Hat this happen recently on my Mavic tubular rim and thought it was trashed. After banging it as flat as possible, have gotten many happy miles on it. God luck
Paul

echelon_john
10-25-2015, 09:10 AM
bench vise w/copper jaws

check frequently for cracks post-fix

pbarry
10-25-2015, 09:30 AM
bench vise w/copper jaws

check frequently for cracks post-fix

Best suggestion.

Tony
10-25-2015, 09:41 AM
For a 11mm bulge I would use a 1/2 wooden dowel and hammer. Face the back side of the damaged rim against a solid surface, use the wooden dowel between the hammer and rim to punch in the bulge.

seanile
10-25-2015, 09:43 AM
thanks folks, you've given me hope!
i'll go buy a dowel and take it over to a shop w/ a good vice and see if we can tap it back to flat.

there is a small dent going down toward the hub from the rim's seat for the tubular where the rock stabbed the rim, but it's not terribly deep and isn't cracked..just a little stressed out i imagine.

echelon_john
10-25-2015, 10:52 AM
Don't tap. Coax. And you don't have to heat it, but 30 degrees from sitting in the car probably isn't optimal.

10-25-2015, 01:05 PM
Plastic Mallet and gently smack it back in shape. Is the rim dented IN also? Toward the hub? May want to tie and solder it...:hello:

Always trust Tater to remember the most critical element of the repair.

carpediemracing
10-27-2015, 03:25 PM
My low buck fix was to put two pieces of smooth wood in a vice and gently (slowly?) compress the rim.

I'd use channel locks as well, for a narrower pressure point.

I think I still have a few rims that I fixed like this. Typically I'd have to finish the sidewall with sandpaper but generally worked. I did this with a pair of Specialized TriSpokes that a teammate bent (still have them) and maybe 3? Campy Record Crono rims (allegedly 280g rims, so sort of like GEL280 or Alkor in weight). Other rims also but I remember those specifically.