PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Patricia --> Mexico

alessandro
10-23-2015, 11:40 AM
Have you seen this? Looks pretty cataclysmic.

Hurricane Patricia, a Category 5 Storm, Threatens Southern Mexico (www.nytimes.com/2015/10/24/world/americas/hurricane-patricia-landfall-mexico.html)
Hurricane Patricia, a storm that the National Hurricane Center calls the strongest of its kind recorded in the Western Hemisphere, was expected to make landfall in southern Mexico on Friday afternoon.

MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...880 MB. :eek:

Safe travels and good luck to the folks down there, Paceliners and otherwise.

MattTuck
10-23-2015, 11:50 AM
Yeah, that doesn't look good. based on what I read earlier, the saving grace is that it is forecast to hit at a point along the coast with a relatively low population. So that atleast helps with evacuations and the likelihood of loss of life.

Stock up on your tequila now, as the supply chain may be disrupted.

eippo1
10-23-2015, 11:53 AM
Wow, I spent a week or so about an hour north of there and left Mexico via Puerto Vallarta. Just a little bit inland are some of the poorest areas with little infrastructure and poor growing soil. A direct hit like this will be more than devastating. The people inland will be cut off from food completely.

ORMojo
10-23-2015, 11:55 AM
Yep, watching it closely from multiple sources, including friends local to the area. We've been regular visitors, even semi-residents, of San Pancho (San Francisco, Nayarit), about 30 minutes north of PV, since the early 90s. Our favorite San Pancho restaurant is owned by a former Oregonian friend. We are hoping for the best for all involved, but this doesn't look good.

dave thompson
10-23-2015, 12:25 PM
According to Mexico weather, Patricia is on target to hit Puerto Vallarta head on, much like Odile did to Cabo last year. The difference is that Odile was a Cat 4 hurricane while Patricia is a Cat 5 and the U.S. National Hurricane Center has said that this is the strongest hurricane ever recorded with winds in excess of 200 MPH. It will fairly quickly diminish as it travels over the Mexican landmass but still will bring large amounts of rainfall through Mexico and into Texas.

The sad thing is that folks in Mexico with money and insurance will recover fairly quickly, like Cabo and Baja Sur did after Odile but the pobres (Mexican colloquial for those who live on the margins, a surprisingly large number) who have little will lose it all. Sad.

alessandro
10-23-2015, 12:37 PM
Buena suerte a todos!

texbike
10-23-2015, 01:11 PM
This thing is a MONSTER! The weather forecasts in Central Texas are calling for 6" to over a foot of rain in the next few days as a result of the storm. Prayers to those in Mexico that are going to bear the brunt of this thing.

Texbike

OtayBW
10-23-2015, 02:57 PM
I've always had a fascination with the Huichol - indigenous Indian subsistence farmers on the SW flank of the Sierra Madre, east of Tepic. They are known largely for their yarn art and shamanistic cultural/religious/healing traditions. Don Juan lives.

Hope they get a bye on this one....

Ken Robb
10-23-2015, 03:28 PM
Quite a few of my car-nut pals went ahead with their plans to attend the US Gran Prix near Austin because it was all paid in advance including rented condos. I hope their potential difficulties are confined to possibly disrupted travel. I would have stayed home.

dancinkozmo
10-23-2015, 03:39 PM
thank god global warming is a hoax....imagine how much more worse this could have been !

SlackMan
10-23-2015, 03:41 PM
This thing is a MONSTER! The weather forecasts in Central Texas are calling for 6" to over a foot of rain in the next few days as a result of the storm. Prayers to those in Mexico that are going to bear the brunt of this thing.

Texbike

A dad in my son's Boy Scout troop said there is nothing like planning a mountain biking camp-out to end a drought. We were supposed to take the boys mountain biking this weekend, but perhaps obviously, we had to cancel. I'm happy for the rain, and will keep those in harm's way in my prayers.

ORMojo
10-23-2015, 03:46 PM
As landfall nears, one friend in the area reported to me that he is amazed at the number of people that are remaining in place, and, at least outwardly, calmly so.

And one of the web cams I was looking at earlier this morning is now returning this error: "Warning: mysql_connect(): User wdmuser already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections"

texbike
10-23-2015, 03:53 PM
A dad in my son's Boy Scout troop said there is nothing like planning a mountain biking camp-out to end a drought. We were supposed to take the boys mountain biking this weekend, but perhaps obviously, we had to cancel. I'm happy for the rain, and will keep those in harm's way in my prayers.

Our scout troop was scheduled to spend the weekend at NASA in Houston. Also cancelled.

We're getting strong gusts of wind and rain here right now. Bands off of the storm are already reaching into Texas and the Gulf and the Eye hasn't even made landfall yet. Crazy!

Texbike

fkelly
10-23-2015, 04:39 PM
Wow Texbike. I thought that thing would dissipate fairly quickly once it hit the mountains near the coast. So much for my "intuition".

Len J
10-23-2015, 04:45 PM
I can't imagine what the seas are ahead of that storm. I've been in the open ocean in a 40' sailboat in sustained 50 mph winds for several hours and that was more than big enough seas.

Len

FlashUNC
10-23-2015, 04:48 PM
As a couple meterologists have pointed out, the only place to find a larger storm going on right now in the entire solar system is Jupiter.

This is a crazy storm.

Seramount
10-23-2015, 04:57 PM
while the 72-hr precip forecasts for Austin were recently revised from 6 to 8+ inches, after a couple of relatively brief, moderate showers, the sun is now out.

Saturday may be a beotch, tho...guess we'll see.

the F1 race and the UT / Kansas St game may have some very reduced attendances...

dave thompson
10-23-2015, 05:27 PM
I can't imagine what the seas are ahead of that storm. I've been in the open ocean in a 40' sailboat in sustained 50 mph winds for several hours and that was more than big enough seas.

Len

10 meter storm surge is predicted on the southwest coast in the hurricane's track. If that happens there's a lot of infrastructure and property that will be wiped out. A monster!

Shortsocks
10-23-2015, 05:40 PM
Stock up on your tequila now, as the supply chain may be disrupted.

Jesus. Lol.

nicrump
10-23-2015, 05:48 PM
Wow Texbike. I thought that thing would dissipate fairly quickly once it hit the mountains near the coast. So much for my "intuition".

wind yes, moisture will go on for days.

weisan
10-23-2015, 05:49 PM
Patricia.....hmmm......

weisan
10-23-2015, 05:52 PM
From the space station

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CSBUwibUwAEg0fF.jpg

texbike
10-24-2015, 10:05 AM
Wow! Patricia quickly ran out of steam. Downgraded from a powerful Cat 5 to a Tropical Storm in less than 12 hours.

Don't mess with Mexico!

Texbike

93legendti
10-24-2015, 10:53 AM
Must be climate confusion

txcid05
10-24-2015, 11:08 AM
Crazy weather here just south of San Antonio, we've had tropical wind and rain all morning. Insane how large that system has remained even after beginning to dissipate. :eek:

Seramount
10-24-2015, 01:02 PM
Crazy weather here just south of San Antonio, we've had tropical wind and rain all morning. Insane how large that system has remained even after beginning to dissipate. :eek:

so far, AUS is mostly getting steady, soaking rains. exactly what we needed. winds are light with a few gusts...

prediction for my area today is 4-5 inches, already have 4.1 recorded at the nearest weather station...rains supposed to continue until late this evening so may get more than projected.