PDA

View Full Version : removing a stuck pedal (another approach)

pdmtong
10-22-2015, 07:27 PM
We've all been there - that $?(%#! pedal won't come loose! And, you can't use a 15mm pedal wrench since the pedals don't have flats? oh no!

You did grease the spindle and just snug it (not crank it), when installing, right?

You know the basics - drive side loosen counter-clockwise as you look at the bike, non-drive side loosen clockwise as you look at the bike, right?

But you can't get them to budge using a basic short or "long" 8mm allen.

So before you soak it in WD-40 or remove the crank or get your blow torch out, try this.

First, get a proper 8mm hex pedal wrench. Like this: http://www.parktool.com/product/8mm-hex-tool-ht-8
Now take some 212 B.C. advice from Archimedes (if you never heard of him, look him up) who once said: δῶς μοι πᾶ στῶ καὶ τὰν γᾶν κινάσω (Give me a lever and a place to stand and I will move the earth)

Trouble is, I always felt awkward one foot on a pedal and pulling UP. Or stepping down with my foot on the skinny wrench. Kind of like a high risk game of Twister with possible bad results for either me or the frame. And, there is just no leverage with the bike in the stand.

And now for something completely different.

Flip bike upside down.
Point crank rearward.
Insert pedal wrench forward so crank and wrench make ~90d angle.
Make sure chain is on big ring.
Possibly put foam or a towel on the down tube so you won't ding it.
Wear a leather gardening glove to protect your hand if you think you will slip.

S-L-O-W-L-Y lean down on the pedal wrench with your body weight to break the offending pedal free.
Wait for the snap or pop sound of the pedal releasing.
STOP leaning on the wrench ASAP when you hear that sound.

SMILE and open a beer. Victory is now yours.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/22/9787c86a8257eaf8447321ace952711f.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170908/b85eba020eff9855b946deb73a95deae.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/22/abd2c90aa37f45e1da9e26b7450d1deb.jpg

elliott
10-22-2015, 07:31 PM
Or do the same thing right side up, with your foot putting pressure on the wrench. No chance of dinging the frame.

pdmtong
10-22-2015, 07:46 PM
Or do the same thing right side up, with your foot putting pressure on the wrench. No chance of dinging the frame.

Theoretically that works (done it), but who can consistently control the force and the connection of a foot on a wrench? And once it breaks free things can go flying. Body weight pressure > pushing a leg down.

BobbyJones
10-22-2015, 08:24 PM
Life used to be easier when I had a house with a full workshop.

My first time in an apartment with a limited tools and a stuck pedal I looked around and found the first thing I could for leverage--- the extension shaft from a vacuum cleaner attachment.

Two and half feet is alot of leverage and keeps your hands away from sharp parts. The tubing diameter fits over most wrenches of all types.

It's now a go-to tool to get things unstuck.

dustyrider
10-22-2015, 08:30 PM
Try a smaller wrench. Line it up with the crank arm, make a tight v if you're looking straight on, to allow you to cup the wrench and the crank arm in your hand. Then try to clench your fist. Make sure you're efforts are spent turning in the correct direction.:cool:.

54ny77
10-22-2015, 08:44 PM
well thanks, you could have posted this a few weeks ago, when the ratchet with allen socket slipped out of the pedal end while applying a lot of torque, and my hand went straight into the chainrings..... :D

it's quite the sight seeing the full depth of a few big chainring teeth sunk all the way into the hand. :bike: :crap:

bikinchris
10-22-2015, 08:52 PM
People are often confused about which way to turn the wrench when removing a pedal. Just hold the wrench and pedal the bike.

jeffwidman
10-22-2015, 08:58 PM
Life used to be easier when I had a house with a full workshop.

My first time in an apartment with a limited tools and a stuck pedal I looked around and found the first thing I could for leverage--- the extension shaft from a vacuum cleaner attachment.

Two and half feet is alot of leverage and keeps your hands away from sharp parts. The tubing diameter fits over most wrenches of all types.

It's now a go-to tool to get things unstuck.

Fantastic idea, especially because it's likely non-marring and likely will break before you get so much leverage that you'd break (in a non-intended way) what you were working on. My dad had a piece of metal pipe he always used, but it sometimes dinged stuff up when the nut/bolt finally loosened and the pipe swung through.

andyschen
10-22-2015, 09:47 PM
you can try holding the crank arm while pulling towards or pushing away on the allen wrench. (using the crank arm as leverage) give it a shot and see if it works well for you too. :beer:

Dead Man
10-22-2015, 09:51 PM
this works too

http://theclimbingdoctor.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/hull-gym-weights.jpg

foo_fighter
10-22-2015, 10:06 PM
Anyone ever use an impact wrench?

cinema
10-23-2015, 12:49 AM
Make sure chain is on big ring.
Wear a leather gardening glove to protect your hand if you think you will slip.

Once I didn't do either. that was a big, red, painful mistake.

tlittlefield
10-23-2015, 08:13 AM
The way I always remember to remove pedals is to stand over the rear wheel and turn the wrench towards you, works on both sides.

lonoeightysix
10-23-2015, 08:15 AM

Milwaukee M12 Impact Driver (1/4" hex drive). For removal only, using a quality impact rated hex bit (currently using Wera Impaktor).

jemoryl
10-23-2015, 08:17 AM
Or put an allen key in a vise, take off the crank arm and use it as the lever.

Tony T
10-23-2015, 09:06 AM
Now take some 212 B.C. advice from Archimedes (if you never heard of him, look him up) who once said: δῶς μοι πᾶ στῶ καὶ τὰν γᾶν κινάσω (Give me a lever and a place to stand and I will move the earth)

You could also use a "cheater" and insert a pipe into the wrench to extend the lever.

joe.e
10-23-2015, 09:26 AM
...I usually just hold the pedal wrench in one hand, the pedal in the other, and push like hell. after enough swearing the pedals always come off (I like to think I have to earn it).

mvrider
10-23-2015, 01:23 PM
My only question is:

Are you rebuilding your Respo??

pdmtong
10-23-2015, 01:35 PM
My only question is:Are you rebuilding your Respo??

hahaha...only you would recognize that bike. I was actually just regreasing the post and decided to flip it over.

false_Aest
10-23-2015, 01:41 PM
milwaukee m12 impact driver (1/4" hex drive). For removal only, using a quality impact rated hex bit (currently using wera impaktor).

word!

pdmtong
10-23-2015, 01:44 PM
it's quite the sight seeing the full depth of a few big chainring teeth sunk all the way into the hand. :bike: :crap:
Once I didn't do either. that was a big, red, painful mistake.
See that puncture scar on my middle finger?
That's from an idiotic move allowing my finger tip to roll into the non-space between the fully tensioned timing chain and timing ring of my tandem.
As I recall, the tooth embedding itself into my finger tip went like this:

0:00 everything great, cleaning my tandem
0:01 w t f ? ouch!
0:02 eyes see chainring tooth embedded in finger tip. turn crank to release
0:03 look at finger tip. see gaping hole
0:04 now comes the 8" blood spurt, throbbing and anxiety

It ended up not being stitched but was tender for a long time. the throbbing was not pleasant.
I've gotten chain ring digs on the back of my calf from mtb, but this is a whole 'nother level. plenty of great comments in this thread for approaches that work.
whatever you do, avoid getting punctured by your big ring.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/23/3e64b3250bbc90a8d0757e311c360b0a.jpg

BdaGhisallo
10-23-2015, 02:00 PM
I have found that having a fork clamping workstand and using a ratchet as shown in the image allows me to get a lot more oomph into loosening pedals. I can't begin to explain the physics involved as high school was too long ago, but it works. You'll pull the ratchet arm toward the stand extension on each side when loosening pedals with hex recesses on the ends of the axles.

Can't help you if you have pedals that have wrench flats.

559Rando
10-26-2015, 03:17 PM
You could also use a "cheater" and insert a pipe into the wrench to extend the lever.

A seatpost makes a good cheat bar in a pinch!

CNY rider
10-26-2015, 05:07 PM
Always, always, always throw a shop towel or rag over the chainrings when you are messing with your pedals.

txcid05
10-26-2015, 05:45 PM
Always, always, always throw a shop towel or rag over the chainrings when you are messing with your pedals.

Excellent advice there......

weisan
10-26-2015, 05:50 PM
I bet this pal can come up with a better idea...especially since he's a direct disciple of Jesus.

I mean, literally speaking, he took this teaching to the next level. :D

εἰ δὲ ὁ ὀφθαλμός σου ὁ δεξιὸς , σκανδαλίζει σε, ἔξελε αὐτὸν καὶ βάλε ἀπὸ σοῦ (if moreover the eye of you right causes to stumble, you pluck out it and cast [it] from you)

Check it out:
https://www.facebook.com/100003163851320/videos/863326317116155/

p nut
10-27-2015, 07:02 AM
I've cut my hands on my fair share of chainrings as well. Now, I do as described in the original post, except just apply a tap on the Allen wrench with a rubber mallet/deadblow hammer. Just make sure the Allen key is in there tight.

http://cdn1.grizzly.com/pics/jpeg500/h/h6328.jpg

wallymann
10-27-2015, 07:34 AM
2' length of black pipe @ Lowes/Home Depot, way better than a flimsy vacuum hose!

i use it for breaking pesky lug-nuts on my car and other assorted recalcitrant fasteners.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/9c/9c462d85-e58e-410e-95fa-a3ee05eb1960_300.jpg

pdmtong
09-13-2017, 01:58 PM
PSA for anyone dealing with stuck pedal . . .

MesiJezi
09-13-2017, 06:09 PM
I had this issue this summer on an older bike with pedals that refused to budge. Solved it thusly:

1) Propane torch to warm the crank arm (shimano 600). We're not talking red hot, but hot to the touch.

2) Computer dusting air held upside down sprayed directly on/into the hex head at the end of the threaded pedal spindle.

3) Apply force with wrench, pedal breaks loose. :hello:

That said... In my mind, heating the crank arm is a last resort.

R3awak3n
09-13-2017, 06:31 PM
have to say, removing pedals is one of my least fav things to do.

sokyroadie
09-13-2017, 06:41 PM

1/4" Dewalt 20V Impact - I also use to install, but stop as soon as it is barely snug. I use it for lots of bike maintenance, just have to be careful.

Jeff

thwart
09-13-2017, 07:21 PM
People are often confused about which way to turn the wrench when removing a pedal. Just hold the wrench and pedal the bike.
Or, as another member here (Hi John) enlightened me a couple of yrs ago, loosening is turning the wrench toward the rear of the bike; tightening is toward the front. Easy enough even an idiot like me can remember it...

djdj
09-13-2017, 08:15 PM
Now here's a tip. Next time, clean and grease the threads and don't torque the pedal so much.

Black Dog
09-13-2017, 08:19 PM
Or, as another member here (Hi John) enlightened me a couple of yrs ago, loosening is turning the wrench toward the rear of the bike; tightening is toward the front. Easy enough even an idiot like me can remember it...

Hmmmm. Towards the bike when the wrench is above or below the pedal?

bikinchris
09-13-2017, 08:42 PM
As for the OP, when I have a tight pedal without wrench flats, I use my 1/2 inch breaker bar with a 8mm driver, remove the front wheel and place the fork on a fork mount bracket, then carefully setup the cranks with the pedal I'm removing almost on the ground, place the breaker bar/ 8mm driver on the pedal and step on the breaker bar.

thwart
09-13-2017, 09:06 PM
Hmmmm. Towards the bike when the wrench is above or below the pedal?
Try to keep things aboveboard. At all times.

;)

Ken Robb
09-13-2017, 09:23 PM

"BACK OFF!" my mnemonic device.