PDA

View Full Version : Easton Wheels

tjk23
10-22-2015, 01:08 PM
Considering getting a set of Easton EA90 Aero. Does anyone here use them and are there better options out there? I going to have less than $400 in them if I get them. I've also been considering Mavic Ksyriums.

Thanks in advance

oldpotatoe
10-22-2015, 01:11 PM
Considering getting a set of Easton EA90 Aero. Does anyone here use them and are there better options out there? I going to have less than $400 in them if I get them. I've also been considering Mavic Ksyriums.

Thanks in advance

Look at Fulcrum/Campagnolo wheels first, far better hubs, better wheel set all around, imho.

drewellison
10-22-2015, 01:17 PM
I've got a set of EA90s (may be aero), and Velomax wheels too (same or similar design hubs). Wheels are nice. Haven't had a problem with true-ness or spokes. I think they ride fine.

BUT, the hub bearing adjustment drives me nuts. It's simple, spinning a outside cap with your hands or a spanner wrench (19 mm?), but keeps coming loose, ride after ride. I've taken apart, cleaned, adjusted, etc. Keeps happening. On one set, I finally just loctited the adjusting ring/cap. I hope the bearings last a long time :)

I've got another set I need to do the same with. I think I'll order low strength Loctite (222 purple I think) so adjusting in the future will still be possible. But nobody carries it and I'll have to get it online.

YMMV.
Drew

bearcrawl
10-22-2015, 01:29 PM
I had a set of the new (echo hub) EA90SLs that I thought would be a great cross wheel but they were terrible. 10 rides into a new set (on the road) they came out of both dish and true. Had problems with the freehub binding and not freewheeling proving plenty of lovely chainsuck. IMHO the score about a 2/10. Did buy them in the first place cause a buddy of mine beat the hell out of an older version with great success.

GregL
10-22-2015, 01:45 PM
I've had a set of EA90 Aeros for four years. They have stayed 100% true under my 170-175 lbs. The only maintenance I have done to them was to disassemble, grease, and reassemble the rear hub to get rid of a "clicking" noise. The task took just a few minutes thanks to good technical documentation (http://eastoncycling.com/en-us/supported-product/ea90-aero-tt/) available from their website. I also was able to change out the original 10-speed freehub for a new 11-speed unit. Reliable, maintainable, and upgradable - nothing more I could ask for.

- Greg

deechee
10-22-2015, 01:49 PM
No idea on the EA90s, but at 32mm depth, the DT Swiss 585 Rims @30mm are absolutely awesome. Built up a 2nd set last year and love them. Rock solid.

jds108
10-22-2015, 03:00 PM
I've got a set of EA90s (may be aero), and Velomax wheels too (same or similar design hubs). Wheels are nice. Haven't had a problem with true-ness or spokes. I think they ride fine.

BUT, the hub bearing adjustment drives me nuts. It's simple, spinning a outside cap with your hands or a spanner wrench (19 mm?), but keeps coming loose, ride after ride. I've taken apart, cleaned, adjusted, etc. Keeps happening. On one set, I finally just loctited the adjusting ring/cap. I hope the bearings last a long time :)

I've got another set I need to do the same with. I think I'll order low strength Loctite (222 purple I think) so adjusting in the future will still be possible. But nobody carries it and I'll have to get it online.

YMMV.
Drew

I've been lucky in that my adjustment has been working as intended. As such, it's pretty cool. Mount the wheel in the bike, crank down the skewer, then adjust bearing tension. With every other system you're just taking a guess at bearing preload since it's done off the bike without the skewer tension in place.

Granted, this isn't a big deal, just a little feature (as long as it's working correctly)

oldpotatoe
10-22-2015, 03:08 PM
I've been lucky in that my adjustment has been working as intended. As such, it's pretty cool. Mount the wheel in the bike, crank down the skewer, then adjust bearing tension. With some other systems you're just taking a guess at bearing preload since it's done off the bike without the skewer tension in place.

Granted, this isn't a big deal, just a little feature (as long as it's working correctly)

FIFY

Many do bearing load on the bike, like Campagnolo, CK, even Zipp.

JeffS
10-23-2015, 05:04 PM
I have at least six sets of easton wheels. Never had a problem of any kind with them.

shovelhd
10-23-2015, 05:11 PM
The Eastons are way, way better than the Ksyriums.

CircuitHero
10-23-2015, 05:30 PM
I'm currently running the older EA90slxs with the R4 hub. The rims are narrower than I'd prefer but way more durable than I thought they would be on these wonderful DC roads.

tuscanyswe
10-23-2015, 06:23 PM
I have had some pretty poor exp with alu eastons. But most here seem happy.. Guess its like with tires and flats .)

spartanKid
10-23-2015, 11:15 PM
I have had great success with a set of EA90 SLs. They held up surprisingly well for being low-ish spoke count under my 190 lbs. They're slightly shallower than the "aero" EA90s, so I'd expect the aero versions to be more durable.

The biggest downside to me is that the alloy freehub is alloy. I wish Easton would sell a steel freehub for their R4 hubs so I wouldn't have to buy a new one so often.

Russian bear
10-23-2015, 11:47 PM
Look at some Bora Ones in whatever depth suits you from the overseas websites.

Fatty
10-24-2015, 12:02 PM
The only Easton wheels that I have personal experience with are a set of EA70XCT that were purchased by myself,new,for a 29er build.
Rear hub was shipped with a bone dry axle bearing. No warranty help from Easton.
Glad they were cheap.

sandyrs
10-24-2015, 12:36 PM
Look at some Bora Ones in whatever depth suits you from the overseas websites.

Yeah because those are definitely available in the $400 range :)

tjk23
10-24-2015, 03:27 PM
I'm starting to think that I'm really not going to upgrade from my Boyds with the budget I'm working with. I weighed them last night and they are under 1500 grams and not really had any trouble with them. I've just had them a while and was wanting something different.

jds108
10-24-2015, 04:48 PM
FIFY

Many do bearing load on the bike, like Campagnolo, CK, even Zipp.

Yes, poor choice of words on my part. It is a nice feature as long as it works correctly.

Russian bear
10-24-2015, 08:54 PM
Yeah because those are definitely available in the $400 range :)

Oh oops! I read those as EC90s. In that case get a set of Zondas for under $400 :)