PDA

View Full Version : Cyclist's elbow?

Lewis Moon
10-22-2015, 11:12 AM
For the last couple of months the inside of my left elbow has started to hurt/burn when I get out of the saddle to swing the big cod. Dr. Google sez it's "Golfer's Elbow", which makes me have a sad, because I despise golf...so I renamed it. Other than the "don't do that" prescription, anyone have any suggestions?

pinoymamba
10-22-2015, 12:45 PM
Rest, strength exercise, and brace.

merlinmurph
10-22-2015, 12:48 PM
*ahem* How much beer do you drink? i.e. 12 oz. curls

katematt
10-22-2015, 12:56 PM
I had it, but from tennis, which tells you what kink of player I am considering the inside is golf and the outside tennis. You can purchase one of the tennis elbow bands that wrap around the forearm and secure with Velcro. I like the ones with a inflated pouch for added shock absorption, but in cycling situation probably not necessary. So some firm pressure should do the trick, if not rest and ice and when you start back use the band.

I had a shot of cortisone which cleared it up, but still wear the band just to be safe.

They do work.

Cheers.

spacemen3
10-22-2015, 01:15 PM
I started using a gyroscopic forearm exerciser like the NSD Spinner to help strengthen some of those muscles, and it has alleviated some soreness.

benb
10-22-2015, 02:08 PM
Might want to check your saddle position to make sure you're not putting excessive weight on your hands.

Among other things, I start getting this if I ride with too forward a position. You feel it when you're standing but the damage gets done while you're sitting.

Don't start using the exercisers, etc.. until you're fairly sure that you've got some healing well underway and have addressed the cause if it's related to your bike.

I've been dealing with a wicked case of this for over a year now... been through PT and all that and one thing for sure, for me they put me on the exercises too fast & too aggressive without figuring out what was causing the irritation in the first place. (Your desk setup at work could be partly to blame along with tons of other things too.)

It's a part of your body that is almost impossible to rest properly so you have to be really careful to figure out what is causing it to begin with.

Lovetoclimb
10-22-2015, 02:33 PM
on the cycling position, do you ride with much bend in your elbows? I see a lot of riders with their arms close to extended and elbows locked as opposed to having them bent closer to 45+ degrees. I have a lot of bend due to being tall and riding with a lot of saddle to bar drop but this also forces me to engage my core and keep as much weight out of my hands as possible. After a 4+ hour ride I usually have some sore abs. Position may be something to investigate.

FlashUNC
10-22-2015, 02:56 PM
When my right arm was all sorts of out of whack from my elbow surgery, I did get variations of this. Stretching will help and what others recommended.

I'd also look into fit as exacerbating what may be happening.

Lewis Moon
10-22-2015, 02:59 PM
Might want to check your saddle position to make sure you're not putting excessive weight on your hands.

Among other things, I start getting this if I ride with too forward a position. You feel it when you're standing but the damage gets done while you're sitting.

Don't start using the exercisers, etc.. until you're fairly sure that you've got some healing well underway and have addressed the cause if it's related to your bike.

I've been dealing with a wicked case of this for over a year now... been through PT and all that and one thing for sure, for me they put me on the exercises too fast & too aggressive without figuring out what was causing the irritation in the first place. (Your desk setup at work could be partly to blame along with tons of other things too.)

It's a part of your body that is almost impossible to rest properly so you have to be really careful to figure out what is causing it to begin with.

I don't believe it's a position issue, because it doesn't hurt unless I'm out of the saddle hammering on the hoods. It hurts when I pull. It may be linked to my years of rock climbing.

benb
10-22-2015, 03:00 PM
Yes just to add on to what lovetoclimb said.

The position issue for me is saddle too far forward. If it's too far forward my core doesn't engage right.. even with a very conservative bar position I end up putting too much weight on my hands and then your arms straighten out to hold yourself up and bad stuff starts happening. Move the saddle back even if the position becomes more aggressive and no more problems.

Another part of it for me was bars too wide.. it caused me to bend my wrists like doing pushups when riding on the hoods (I see TONS of riders doing this with straight arms) which puts a strain on the muscles that get tight when you get golfer's elbow. I don't think the wrist bending is a big deal if and only if:

- You have your core engaged
- Not much weight on hands
- Elbows with plenty of bend. (the muscles that flex the wrist up and down get stretched more when your elbow is extended.)

If you fail all three of those tests & have a bent wrist you're prone to get golfer's elbow AFAICT.

benb
10-22-2015, 03:02 PM
I don't believe it's a position issue, because it doesn't hurt unless I'm out of the saddle hammering on the hoods.

It could be from swinging a hammer or all kinds of other things. (Computer, holding a baby, etc.. all common causes apparently)

But if it's only an issue out of the saddle.. do you have your hoods angled up a lot? That puts bend in your wrist that can contribute to this too.

This is a progressive thing anyway (it's tendonitis). Out of the saddle is definitely more stressful than in the saddle.. if it keeps getting worse it will hurt in the saddle too.