PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the Specialized Diverge?

Ti_on_Steel
10-21-2015, 06:29 PM
Looking for a large tire clearance, comfortable but fast, winter road bike for training and commuting in NYC.

I rode a Specialized Diverge the other day which seemed like a lot of fun. Any one own one / have any experience?

For the money, this seems like the model to get.
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/road/diverge/diverge-elite-dsw

Don't need anything too fancy since this will be a little bit of a beater bike.

buddybikes
10-21-2015, 07:02 PM
I looked into these but "settled" with a great geekhouse cx off of this forum for same price as that divulge. what I got was a high quality US made frame with campy components and high quality wheels, gave up, lower bottom bracket and bottle mounts lowered down for cyclocross racing. Yes they do have different geometires, try both and see what makes better sense for you. I love my Geekhouse cx, and to think it was made just a mile away from my firefly!

testride!

biker72
10-21-2015, 07:06 PM
I'm presently trying out a Diverge Elite Comp DSW. Same frame but with Shimano 105 and hydro disc brakes.
Might need different tires for snow but that's about it. Very nice ride.

Tony
10-21-2015, 07:26 PM
If your looking to buy a new bike for around $1500, this colnago world cup looks good? I don't know how it rides compared to the diverge, I like that its a CX bike and it looks much better than the diverge.
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/colnago-world-cup-105-complete-bike-2015?ti=UExQIENhdDpDeWNsb2Nyb3NzIEJpa2VzOjE6MzY6Y2 NDYXQxMDAxNTg&skidn=CLG0013-YL-S52CM

DrSpoke
10-21-2015, 09:30 PM
Before you buy do some research on the Specialized SCS (Short Chain Stay) rear wheel/hub system. It has upset a great many people. Basically a proprietary wheel/hub standard so that most mountain bike wheels are not compatible. If you plan on riding stock it's a very nice bike though. Personally I wanted something that will fit 40c tires. I was hoping for a new Warbird carbon but ended up ordering an X-Trail.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2015/10/19/2016-specialized-crux-cyclocross-roubaix-endurance-road-bikes-gain-thru-axles-but-theyre-weird/

http://www.bikerumor.com/2015/10/20/2016-specialized-scs-135mm-disc-brake-thru-axle-design-explanation-development-story/

http://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/961822-specialized-diverge-2015-a.html

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/specialized/scs-···-345626.html

eBAUMANN
10-21-2015, 09:44 PM
I will never own a specialized of any sort because they consistently pull dumb sh*t like SCS out of their asses to foist upon the bicycle purchasing public. If they can invent a new proprietary standard, they will. It's not innovation, it's a money grab.

marciero
10-21-2015, 10:19 PM
Am no fan of Specialized, but am liking this design. They present some good arguments for it. Based on Specialized's telling of it here (which admittedly is possibly biased) it sounds like there really is, or was, no standard for road thru-axle disc when they committed to this design; that is, one combining short chain stay, low q factor , and good chain line, (hence 130 spacing) with thru-axle disc. To my mind, 135 spacing is not road. This is an effective 130 spacing. They even have an "open patent" on the design to allow anyone to make hubs and wheels to this standard.
So in this sense it is not proprietary.

eBAUMANN
10-21-2015, 11:52 PM
Why does everything have to be a thru axle?
135 spacing would/does work just fine with shorter stays.
Not buyin it, literally.
;)

ultraman6970
10-22-2015, 12:43 AM
That's the point of marketing, make you believe you need something.

Now is the turn of trek to come up with some other bs :) You cant blame them.. they have to sell bikes one way or another.

BTW dont like that design of frames at all.

rnhood
10-22-2015, 04:57 AM
I have test ridden one (carbon model) and thought it was excellent. Clearance is fine and its nice to have the fender and rack mounts. In fact I am also thinking about buying one as it seems very versatile. Here is a short review.

http://redkiteprayer.com/2015/02/the-specialized-diverge/

marciero
10-22-2015, 05:56 AM
Not buyin it, literally.
;)

That is a good question, and I dont know the answer. I guess safer and stiffer, due to the large downward/backward forces at the axle when braking. But the safety issue pretty much applies just to fork and is somewhat taken care of with forward facing dropouts. Not sure about the "stiffer" part.

I still think it is an interesting and viable design. They are offering it for consideration by making it available free to designers and manufacturers. Will be up to industry and consumers whether to adopt.

oldpotatoe
10-22-2015, 06:21 AM
Not buyin it, literally.
;)

You don't. Marketing mostly with 'claims' of all sorts of stiffness improvements. Is it 'stiffer'? Probably. Does it matter to putnameofenthusiast rider here? Nope. Like crank stiffness, fork steerer taper stiffness, headset stiffness...etc...

dsimon
10-22-2015, 06:54 AM
I have a buddy who has the Diverge all Ultegra and loves it commutes 20 miles one way to work and did a metric century with me. I think his only complaint is there stock tires wear a little fast. Also dont loose the Bolt on skewers they don't have replacements 1st. He was putting his back in the back of the truck and forgot to grab the skewer drove off never found it. thank got the bike shop just so had a Spair.

ptourkin
10-22-2015, 07:39 AM
Before you buy do some research on the Specialized SCS (Short Chain Stay) rear wheel/hub system. It has upset a great many people. Basically a proprietary wheel/hub standard so that most mountain bike wheels are not compatible. If you plan on riding stock it's a very nice bike though. Personally I wanted something that will fit 40c tires. I was hoping for a new Warbird carbon but ended up ordering an X-Trail.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2015/10/19/2016-specialized-crux-cyclocross-roubaix-endurance-road-bikes-gain-thru-axles-but-theyre-weird/

http://www.bikerumor.com/2015/10/20/2016-specialized-scs-135mm-disc-brake-thru-axle-design-explanation-development-story/

http://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/961822-specialized-diverge-2015-a.html

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/specialized/scs-ï½·ï½·ï½·-345626.html

^^This. Even with the new adapters, this is a PITA and unfortunate.

benb
10-22-2015, 08:37 AM
I was going to go look at the new Roubaix models in the next few days..

What on earth is wrong with regular QRs? I don't understand why this is such an issue when it was totally fine on MTBs with powerful disc brakes for so many years.

Guess I'll look for 2015s if I decide I like the fit.. although it sounds like there are more Roubaix models left with QRs than Diverge/Crux models.

Between this & Shimano breaking 10sp/11sp wheel compatibility, etc, etc.. shopping is very annoying.

What's the deal with front QRs and car racks?

edit:

And what is the difference really between the Roubaix and the Diverge? Is it just tire clearance and weight/stiffness tuning? The geometry is dead on exactly the same, the only difference AFAICT is that for the same size the Diverge comes with a 7 degree stem vs a 12 degree stem on the Roubaix, and the Diverge has a handlebar with 5mm less reach. In essence it just means you add 5mm of spacers to the fit of a Roubaix to make a Diverge fit the same within 1mm.

I do have to say I am impressed they're offering several different bikes in almost the same geo.. if the geometry works for you it gives you a ton of choice. They do get that.. same thing as offering different saddle widths, shoe widths, etc..

Lovic
10-22-2015, 09:19 AM
SCS = worst design ever!!! :no:

rnhood
10-22-2015, 01:42 PM
edit:

And what is the difference really between the Roubaix and the Diverge? Is it just tire clearance and weight/stiffness tuning? The geometry is dead on exactly the same, the only difference AFAICT is that for the same size the Diverge comes with a 7 degree stem vs a 12 degree stem on the Roubaix, and the Diverge has a handlebar with 5mm less reach. In essence it just means you add 5mm of spacers to the fit of a Roubaix to make a Diverge fit the same within 1mm.

I do have to say I am impressed they're offering several different bikes in almost the same geo.. if the geometry works for you it gives you a ton of choice. They do get that.. same thing as offering different saddle widths, shoe widths, etc..

I asked the same question after looking over the numbers, and the fact there are similarities in construction. I was told three things:
1. Tire clearance. The Diverge has much more clearance.
2. Touring. The Diverge is set up for loaded touring (to a limit). This means rack and fender mounts, including panniers on the front.
3. Stiffer wheel structure with thru axles - and the SCS format which provides better chainline for disc frames withough having to lengthen the CS (for better or worse).

The bike rides really nice and appears to be extremely versatile. Ride fire trails and greenways, do some light touring, join the local fast group ride, even race cross on occasion. Is a one bike do-it-all the best solution.....probably not. Not for many people anyway. But for the casual rider, its a great solution. Having said this, there are other ways to effect this type versatility. One can buy a Flyxii or Ican cross disc frameset for about $400, and build it to their desires - lightweight and at a reasonable cost. Some of these are also equipped with front and rear rack mounts.

bthornt
10-22-2015, 03:07 PM
Picking up my Diverge Expert tomorrow at Open Road Bicycles in Jacksonville. I'm getting old, so I'm looking forward to a more cushy and laid back ride than the one I get on my Ridley Damocles.

benb
10-22-2015, 03:28 PM
I'll have to try and test ride them both.

Right now I have my all city space horse, it can take huge tires.. but it's still not that great to ride in the dirt (harsh ride, it's marginally too big, etc..) and it's heavy and relatively slow.

I was looking at the Roubaix for fit reasons and that it seems it should be plenty fast and not give up a whole lot compared to some of the race bikes.. but if the Diverge feels just as fast that versatility might win me over.

I don't really want to jump on disc brakes yet though..

Charles M
10-22-2015, 06:23 PM
I would go with the GT grade or something else... But that's partly because Specialized are who they are...

The other reason is the Grade is a nicer riding bike IMO.

http://www.gtbicycles.com/usa_en/2016/bikes/pavement/enduroad

I would grab the Alloy Grade with 1X drive train...

benb
10-23-2015, 02:30 PM
I went and looked at the Diverge & Roubaix (I was pretty familiar with the Roubaix already though.)

I think I was looking at 2015s...

One noticeable difference..

Most Diverge models (except the lower end alloy ones) come with the fork pre-cut to 8mm of headset topcap + 20mm of spacers. Not much range of adjustment. My guess is they figure the fork is going to take more abuse?

Roubaix models right up to the top appear to come with a huge 20mm cone-style topcap + 20mm of spacers. Far more room to adjust things.

I can't find info on what Specialized requires for spacers.. it seems like they don't require a spacer on top of the stem.

I don't even know where to find a GT Grade to look at in the Boston area. Geometry is very different from the Specialized bikes.. not necessarily a bad thing but they're quite different. The Grade doesn't change reach much at all as the sizes go up, they just keep getting taller. It also seems like the price is fairly high for the grade carbon models as well.

edit:There's a GT dealer close by.. I'll have to take a look. Only reason I'm even considering these bikes is the fit works better for me... I'll really have to decide whether I like the disc brakes and feel like the bikes are "fast enough".

The bike I have right now (All City Space Horse) was kind of an experiment.. and for the most part it is too slow. It's fun, it goes everywhere much like a Diverge or Grade, etc.. but no matter what you do to it you're going to be hurting if you go riding with other people with lighter bikes. (Regardless of what we say when you're talking a 7-8lb penalty you do feel it.) My plan was really to pick up something like the Synapse/Roubaix/Domane/etc.. that still had a more upright fit but was fast. (Understand I'm still going to have about 5cm drop on most of these bikes with my fit) The Space Horse has way more overlap with the Grade & the Diverge than it does with the Roubaix or Domane.

And yet the Grade is exciting.. they packed a ton into that bike and the fit looks great for me.

Ti_on_Steel
10-25-2015, 04:12 PM
Thanks for all the input.

I've heard Specialized is now shipping the bikes with a 2nd replacement hanger to use with a standard rear hub. Anyone seen that yet?

DrSpoke
10-25-2015, 04:47 PM
These have been shipping w/Diverges for some time. I've heard though that some dealers have not been including them w/the bike. That said, they merely move the RD out 2.5mm to compensate for the 2.5mm that the freehub sits further out as compared to their SCS wheels. I've read on forums where this has worked for some. When the freehub is moved out there are potential clearance issues when the chain is on the small cog as it's very close to the right dropout. So it may work on some bikes and perhaps not on others.

http://service.specialized.com/collateral/ownersguide/new/assets/pdf/0000040845.pdf

Ti_on_Steel
11-01-2015, 08:14 AM
This does seem like huge hassle, but for a low end winter beater bike I'm not sure it will matter too much to me. If I was buying the high end carbon one, I think this would be a bigger issue.

Looks like the availability of replacement wheels, even through Specialized, is limited though.

These have been shipping w/Diverges for some time. I've heard though that some dealers have not been including them w/the bike. That said, they merely move the RD out 2.5mm to compensate for the 2.5mm that the freehub sits further out as compared to their SCS wheels. I've read on forums where this has worked for some. When the freehub is moved out there are potential clearance issues when the chain is on the small cog as it's very close to the right dropout. So it may work on some bikes and perhaps not on others.

http://service.specialized.com/collateral/ownersguide/new/assets/pdf/0000040845.pdf

Tommasini53
11-01-2015, 08:45 AM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=176497

I had a similar post last week. My wife has been searching for a gravel bike. The Diverge fit her very well, from that aspect Specialized did a good job; they are producing some designs that fit the middle-aged cyclist.

That rear-dropout issue bothers me as the best upgrade for any trek/specialized bike is a better set of wheels and this design flaw:butt: makes that upgrade frustrating at best.

As I said the Diverge fits her very well so we ordered up an expert model. I do all of my own bike work and because of these types of "special designs" I've never been a fan of the specialized/trek brands. They always struck me as more marketing machines than bicycle companies; this is a good example of that behavior. Specialized obviously wants to sell more wheel set upgrades too.

Thank you for reposting the derailleur hanger issue, i'll bring that subject up with the specialized dealer to get their take on the best "solution". :beer:

DrSpoke
11-01-2015, 08:55 AM
This does seem like huge hassle, but for a low end winter beater bike I'm not sure it will matter too much to me. If I was buying the high end carbon one, I think this would be a bigger issue.

Looks like the availability of replacement wheels, even through Specialized, is limited though.

My buddy said his just came in last week so it looks like they are becoming available.

Tommasini53
11-01-2015, 07:40 PM
http://specialized.desk.com/customer/portal/questions/11642076-axis-4-scs-disc

Interesting line of questions to the Specialized Answer Desk. good news...they promise a fix to the SCS hub issue by the end of the year. we'll see. :crap:

DrSpoke
11-01-2015, 08:12 PM
What a joke - their rep can't even spell axle. Is it tubeless or not - very inconsistent answers. And the 135 dropout has been out for months now if not from the very beginning. This is the problem with SCS and Specialized - the answers are different at every post and nobody has a clue - either Specialized or their dealers.

R3awak3n
11-01-2015, 08:32 PM
There is a review of the diverge Di2 in this Bicycle Quarterly issue and from what I remember and surprised, Jen Heine liked it. Said was the fastest bike he ever tested (which is a lot coming from him).

Good or not, I would never buy one but at least specialized is trying some different stuff.