PDA

View Full Version : Which tubie for this winter?

Dead Man
10-21-2015, 04:14 PM
Riding conditions will be 6-9 months of almost perpetually wet/damp neglected mountain country road, almost always ascending or descending with tight curves, frequent sections of gravel varying between 3-10 miles long between asphalt, and occasional stretches of unswept sanded/pea-graveled highway shoulder, with frequent quarry driveways. Sometimes frosty, too. But usually just dank.

Yes, friends... time for another winter in the hill country of Columbia County Oregon.

I prematurely burned up a set of carbon wheels last winter, so I'm gonna grab a set of used aluminium rims... need to decide on a tire to ride this winter. 10% off at Ribble!

I rode Corsa Elites last winter. I did cut one.. but mostly had no problems. They're a great inexpensive option... sooo cheap for what you get. But I'd really like to try one of these ····-conditions specific tires out there.. so I'm looking at the Pave and Veloflex Arenberg also, neither of which I have any first-hand experience with.

Obviously the Pave immediately strikes one (me, anyway) as the compromise between the Elite and the Arenberg... well loved tire, about midway with regard to cost. Seems the Arenberg might be making claims to better longevity, and Veloflex in general certainly seems to be hailed in some circles as "the best" tire, period. But is it worth the extra $30/pop?

I do pre-load my tubies with sealant, also. For what that's worth to the discussion. Works extremely well - even the Elite I cut still got me home with air in the tire, last winter.

Thanks gents

-Ben

teleguy57
10-21-2015, 06:26 PM
I've run all of those you mention (Veloflex Roubaix vs Arenberg, but it's a cosmetic difference). I have a hard time really telling a meaningful difference my Corsa Elites and my Paves; if pushed I think the Paves ride just a hair nicer -- and they do come in a wider profile. They will be going away for next season so you might find some deals on them.

While I liked the Veloflex, I don't think they are worth the premium.

gngroup
10-21-2015, 06:38 PM
I use the Veloflex Roubaix/Arenberg year round on one bike but for the 'winter' specific bike, the Pave. I think they hold up roughly as well (though they wear faster than the Veloflex IMO) and they are cheaper to replace in the event of a puncture. Cleaning and inspecting the tires goes a long way toward preserving them in general too. I've been using superglue on the small cuts lately and that seems to work nicely.

Dead Man
10-21-2015, 06:40 PM
I meant to include that I'm stuck with 25s - I'm just a hair under 28mm between the stays, so the 27mm Pave isn't an option on this bike.

No more Paves?? I thought that was a pretty dern popular tubular? Are they replacing it with something else or just axing cobble tires altogether?

gngroup
10-21-2015, 06:46 PM
Veloflex Vlaanderen might be an option too though I have no experience with them.

Dead Man
10-21-2015, 06:53 PM
Some of these manufacturers really need to hire an English speaker to go over their websites..

Vlaanderen
A tubular realized with the intention to offer to the racers the best ever made to compete in races where the resistance of the pneumatic and the roadholding are paramount. Thanks to its new graduated diamond tread design it is possible to have a low rolling resistance on straight roads, while the roadholding during cornering it's granted by a deeper groove of the diamond pattern on the sidewall. Moreover Veloflex exclusive gum receipt will grant the roadholding on every kind of terrain. Even if the size of this pneumatic is of 27mm the casing still remains at 320TPI to offer an higher resistance and flexibility to be able to deformate on the worst terrain conditions. Vlaanderen comes with gum coloured sidewalls to give a vintage look as its name suggests; a recall to the past but with the knowledge and the best raw materials available of today.

lhuerta
10-21-2015, 07:13 PM
Looks like u astutely answered ur own question: VITT PAVE

I thot I personally biught out the remaining stock of Ribble's Paves after the news/rumors that they r off production, but apparently there is still stock available. Act fast before i place another order.

saab2000
10-21-2015, 07:25 PM
I meant to include that I'm stuck with 25s - I'm just a hair under 28mm between the stays, so the 27mm Pave isn't an option on this bike.

No more Paves?? I thought that was a pretty dern popular tubular? Are they replacing it with something else or just axing cobble tires altogether?

I have some Vittoria 27 Pave tubulars. They're not really 27. They're very nice and mounted up perfectly straight. I find them perfect at about 80 PSI and you could go less, or more, depending upon need.

But they're not 27mm in real life. They might work for you if you can find some.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7611/16827212418_971f16ca4c_c.jpg

rwsaunders
10-21-2015, 07:48 PM
Looks like u astutely answered ur own question: VITT PAVE

I thot I personally biught out the remaining stock of Ribble's Paves after the news/rumors that they r off production, but apparently there is still stock available. Act fast before i place another order.

Ribble has the tubular Pave in 25mm and 27mm as well as in black and with the green stripe. Around $50 with the current discount code. Like Saab mentioned, the 27mm version is not 27mm so you should be ok. Buy a tube of shoo-goo as they seem to cut fairly easily.

chiasticon
10-26-2015, 12:59 PM
what about the clement lgg 25's? I plan on running the clincher version this winter.

also since we're on the subject, I don't entirely understand the motivation behind wanting tubulars for winter riding. other than just that if it's too frickin' cold to get off and change when you flat, you could ride the flat one to safety. but otherwise I don't get it. I could see the opposite though: high end tubs for summer riding. at least then you could get nice ones, enjoy their ride, and stress about flatting less. you're more likely to hit all kinds of crap in the winter and that would destroy a high end tub so you have to get robust ones, which defeats the awesome ride of tubulars, right? :confused:

coffeecake
10-26-2015, 01:24 PM
also since we're on the subject, I don't entirely understand the motivation behind wanting tubulars for winter riding. other than just that if it's too frickin' cold to get off and change when you flat, you could ride the flat one to safety.

In my mind, that's the main reason. Also, you could pre-treat the tubulars with sealant for improved robustness during winter months.

you're more likely to hit all kinds of crap in the winter and that would destroy a high end tub so you have to get robust ones, which defeats the awesome ride of tubulars, right? :confused:

I think in the winter, you are stuck riding heavier, relatively expensive, and dull tires no matter clincher or tubular (marathon plus/GP4season/Gatorskin). So maybe the added safety factor of being able to ride the tubular home w/o stopping is what gives tubulars the advantage? Don't really know. I'll find out what works while riding this winter.

chiasticon
10-26-2015, 01:44 PM
In my mind, that's the main reason. Also, you could pre-treat the tubulars with sealant for improved robustness during winter months.which I get. but maybe that's all the more reason to look into the clement lgg's, since they're tubeless and clement recommends pre-treating with sealant anyway?

zennmotion
10-26-2015, 02:38 PM
Sealant is useless once it gets cold enough... just sayin':fight:

Dead Man
10-26-2015, 04:19 PM
Sealant is useless once it gets cold enough... just sayin':fight:

I hadn't thought about that... Water-based latex probably has a freezing temp very close to water.

Things that mitigate that for me, however- when it's that cold, it's usually dry (because we only get that cold in high-pressure - not because frozen water is not liquid water), and when it's dry I almost never puncture; and it rarely freezes over for longer than an hour or two past dawn, around here.

But that's definitely something to think about. I wonder if anyone makes a sealant with anti-freeze?

---
As to why tubulars in the winter.... why not? They perform way better wet than any clincher- partly because they just do, and partly because you can roll them with way lower pressure. They are less likely to flat, and if you do flat, you can continue to rise for as long as you need to. But as I mentioned, I dose 'em with sealant preemptively, and have never flatted out with sealant in the tubie. Plus I don't have to carry any tire-related extra ï½·ï½·ï½·ï½·- no tire levers, patches, tubes, or tires- with the super high thread count cotton carcass they never explode in the way clinchers can..

Plus all the other reasons we love them the other 3 seasons - supple ride, way better cornering, fearless mountain descents, road cred, etc etc etc.

I see no negatives to tubulars in the winter.

Dead Man
10-26-2015, 04:21 PM
My local shop still has Pav駸 in stock, btw, and says they know nothing about them being discontinued....?

Not doubting anyone, but does anyone have any other info on this?

AngryScientist
10-26-2015, 04:26 PM
tubies make sense in the winter, IMO because the bulk majority of stuff that will give you flats in the winter comes from broken up roads and pinch flats. tubulars are much less susceptible to pinch flats.

IMO.

Dead Man
10-26-2015, 07:19 PM
Since this thread was so kindly bumped (reminding me that I still haven't ordered yet, waaa, wahhhhhhh..... sale is over).... what's the closest you really want to cut it, with regard to tire size? Especially if you're someone who likes to corner hard.

Satellite
10-26-2015, 07:35 PM
I picked the Arenberg in the poll, if price is no object.

If you are on a budget like I am, I would pick the Pave.

I can't beat the price on Vittoria's at Ribble they offer 10% coupons periodically and the price for the Vittoria Tubies end up some where around $46.00 with free shipping when you order like $89. They always show up in a week or so, I do get hit with Foreign credit card fees somewhere around $5.00. I have like 8 sets of Vittoria CX 25's being stretched and aging nicely in the office. :hello:

Satellite

Jaq
10-26-2015, 11:48 PM
I kinda like the Vredstein Fortezza all-weathers in 25. Haven't ridden them, tho, so no actual opinion on 'em.

oldpotatoe
10-27-2015, 05:23 AM
I picked the Arenberg in the poll, if price is no object.

If you are on a budget like I am, I would pick the Pave.

I can't beat the price on Vittoria's at Ribble they offer 10% coupons periodically and the price for the Vittoria Tubies end up some where around $46.00 with free shipping when you order like $89. They always show up in a week or so, I do get hit with Foreign credit card fees somewhere around $5.00. I have like 8 sets of Vittoria CX 25's being stretched and aging nicely in the office. :hello:

Satellite

But unless the lights are kept off and the temp and humidity are proper, aging won't occur. :D

Plus you need to speak Italiano around them and talk with your hands and sip this while you gaze at them.

Vamoots58
10-27-2015, 05:57 AM
is the Dugast Roubaix. nice and supple, but bomber! doesn't fit in my C59, but OK in the other bikes. Saw someone mention the Veloflex Vlaanderen - can't agrue with any Veloflex recommendation. I did just glue up a new set of FMB Paris Roubaix Pro's. Expensive tire, and its new to me, but have high expectations.

Dead Man
10-27-2015, 12:25 PM
is the Dugast Roubaix. nice and supple, but bomber! doesn't fit in my C59, but OK in the other bikes. Saw someone mention the Veloflex Vlaanderen - can't agrue with any Veloflex recommendation. I did just glue up a new set of FMB Paris Roubaix Pro's. Expensive tire, and its new to me, but have high expectations.

I just found these on "probikeshop" for 60 euros... that's pretty smokin' deal, aint it?? $20 shipping though

Dead Man
10-27-2015, 01:48 PM
These are the wheels I'm looking at... local guy has a NiB set for a good price.....

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/campagnolo-record-ambrosio-nemesis-tubular-wheelset

Good for this purpose?

Dead Man
10-27-2015, 05:00 PM
Even better deal on these... and I think they're about 200g lighter... http://www.rolfprima.com/vcx/

What makes a CX wheel CX?

Satellite
10-27-2015, 07:01 PM
But unless the lights are kept off and the temp and humidity are proper, aging won't occur. :D

Plus you need to speak Italiano around them and talk with your hands and sip this while you gaze at them.

LOL, my lights are always out and I am super cheap so I keep the heat down. I leave it to my wife to speak Italian to them while I sip on Two Buck Chuck, and I gaze on them more than I ride them. Hopefully they are good to go 10 years from now when I call on them for service. :beer: