PDA

View Full Version : Di2 6870 Installation

pjmsj21
10-21-2015, 12:15 PM
I am considering taking on the install of the Shimano 6870 upgrade from mechanical to electronic shifting on my wife's BMC GF01 which is set up for electronic shifting. I completed the build on my Campy Athena/Chorus group without too many difficulties.

Is this likely something that I can handle?

eBAUMANN
10-21-2015, 12:26 PM
yes. di2 is the easiest group to setup ever. seriously. EVER.

noysboy
10-21-2015, 12:30 PM
Agree that Di2 is an easy install, just make sure all the connections "click" into place before you install the BB/Crank. :)

shovelhd
10-21-2015, 12:34 PM
Also update all firmware and set preferences before riding. Fishing the cables is the hardest part. Difficulty is frame dependent.

SoCalSteve
10-21-2015, 12:40 PM
Much easier then mechanical, seriously...just read the install manual on how to set up the derauilers and you'll be good.

pjmsj21
10-21-2015, 12:44 PM
Agree that Di2 is an easy install, just make sure all the connections "click" into place before you install the BB/Crank. :)

She currently has 6800 mechanical on the bike so I wont be changing out the crankset.

batman1425
10-21-2015, 12:50 PM
You may need to pull the crank/BB in order to route the cables through the frame - depends on the specifics of your frame and size. Bigger frames tend to have more space around the shell to fish wires - sometimes you can get lucky.

LJohnny
10-21-2015, 12:51 PM
You have very little to worry about. Since you have cables in place at the moment, do not forget to thread a cable guide attached to the shifter cable, as you pull the cable out. First from the end near the RD to the BB, stop there, then Thread another one from BB area to head tube as you will need to junction the cables in the BB area... Other than mentally running the cable layout in your head a few times to make sure you are not missing anything, you'll be fine. Also thread a guide with the FD to BB, but this one may not be as critical...

FlashUNC
10-21-2015, 12:51 PM
Either electronic system, the cable routing is the hardest bit.

oldpotatoe
10-21-2015, 03:46 PM
I am considering taking on the install of the Shimano 6870 upgrade from mechanical to electronic shifting on my wife's BMC GF01 which is set up for electronic shifting. I completed the build on my Campy Athena/Chorus group without too many difficulties.

Is this likely something that I can handle?

Running the wires thru the frame/around BB the most difficult part. Ensure all connections secure. 'Tuning' very easy. Remember the limit screw on rear Der.

SoCalSteve
10-21-2015, 03:49 PM
If you do have problems threading the wires, Park Tools makes a really cool tool with wires, magnetics and smoke and mirrors. Works great!