PDA

View Full Version : Comfort = faster and longer (C-40 vs C-50)...

catulle
05-19-2006, 05:21 PM
I'll try to get my mind away from that jerk who ran into e-R's bike, et al.

Anyway, earlier today I went for a ride in my C-40 to which I had just installed new Oval bars and stem. The C-40 has full Record componets (alloy), custom clincher wheels (Record hubs, Mavic Open-Pro rims), Continental 3000 19mm tires, and Aspide saddle. After an hour or so, the rear tire went flat. Luckily, I was close to my house so I just walked on my bare feet and switched bikes.

I left the C-40 and picked up my C-50. The C-50 has full Record carbon components, Fulcrum clincher wheels, Gommaitalia Targa tires, and Aliante saddle.

The moment I placed my butt on the C-50 I felt all the difference in the world. The C-50 is much more comfortable, quiet, and stable than the C-40. It is as if you were sitting on a fence with the narrow fence tube between your legs, and moving to a full size horse saddle. It is not only the saddle, which actually doesn't make that much difference. It is the whole feeling (Gestalt... sorry e-R) of the bicycle that makes the difference.

When I first rode the C-50, the fat tubes gave me the impression that the bike was slow. Now I feel like the tubes on the C-50 are very thin and filled with helium. On the other hand, the narrower tubes of the C-40 now feel as if made of lead. But the big difference is on the ride. The C-50 is so muffled and stable and light that you feel all of your effort is being converted to speed. And when the feel-good hormones are boiling you can just let go off the bars and feel like a million bucks. The C-40 on the other hand is very tipsy when you let go off the bars; so much so that it is almost a nuisance.

On the C-40 a ride is all business. It is a great bike because it is light and responsive, but you are always aware that you are riding it. On the C-50 you don't want to stop. You just want to keep on riding and enjoying the ride. Maybe if I changed the tires and saddle on the C-40 there will a favorable difference. I don't know. I actually liked that bike a lot... at least until I got the C-50.

fiamme red
05-19-2006, 05:32 PM
Put the same wheels on both bikes and try the experiment again. 19mm tires aren't generally very comfortable except on the smoothest roads.

Fixed
05-19-2006, 05:33 PM
bro sounds like you had a great day .. enjoy
cheers

bfd
05-19-2006, 05:33 PM
Interesting, you state that your C-40 had "Continental 3000 19mm tires." Then you stated that your C-50 used "Gommaitalia Targa tires."

A few questions:

1. what size tires were the Gommaitalia Targa tires? 700x19?
2. how high do you pump up your tires? e.g., 100, 120, 140psi? Did you use the same air pressure in both tires?

I say tire and air pressure is going to make more of a difference than saddles or tube size.

If you really want comfort, get some *true* 700x25 tires, pump them up to 100-110psi and go for a ride.

catulle
05-19-2006, 05:46 PM
Interesting, you state that your C-40 had "Continental 3000 19mm tires." Then you stated that your C-50 used "Gommaitalia Targa tires."

A few questions:

1. what size tires were the Gommaitalia Targa tires? 700x19?
2. how high do you pump up your tires? e.g., 100, 120, 140psi? Did you use the same air pressure in both tires?

I say tire and air pressure is going to make more of a difference than saddles or tube size.

If you really want comfort, get some *true* 700x25 tires, pump them up to 100-110psi and go for a ride.

The Gommaitalia are 21mm, iirc. Both have 110 psi.

stevep
05-19-2006, 06:05 PM
i say 90% of what you felt was the tires. \but i will settle out of court for 75%.

Grant McLean
05-19-2006, 07:42 PM
i say 90% of what you felt was the tires. \but i will settle out of court for 75%.

with depreciation...74%

But I agree 100%

g

catulle
05-19-2006, 07:55 PM
with depreciation...74%

But I agree 100%

g

I will try switching the tires and will get back to y'all. Hey, thank you for the input, atmo.

Grant McLean
05-19-2006, 08:03 PM
I will try switching the tires and will get back to y'all. Hey, thank you for the input, atmo.

Just switch the wheels.
Too much work changing tires.
Go back and forth between bikes with the same wheels
a few times in a short period of time with the same tire pressure.

g

catulle
05-19-2006, 09:03 PM
Just switch the wheels.
Too much work changing tires.
Go back and forth between bikes with the same wheels
a few times in a short period of time with the same tire pressure.

g
¨
Yeah, I meant wheels. You know, for us foreigners it's round and it spins so it's all the same. No wonder old W is beefing up the borders, atmo.

H.Frank Beshear
05-19-2006, 09:03 PM
catulle I'll try to get my mind away from that jerk who ran into e-R's bike, et al.

The Jerk ran over e-richie!!!he's not going to provo atmo . bannana, bannana. :D

Grant McLean
05-19-2006, 09:12 PM
¨
Yeah, I meant wheels. You know, for us foreigners it's round and it spins so it's all the same. No wonder old W is beefing up the borders, atmo.

they'll be coming for the northern border next!

g

catulle
05-19-2006, 09:14 PM
catulle I'll try to get my mind away from that jerk who ran into e-R's bike, et al.

The Jerk ran over e-richie!!!he's not going to provo atmo . bannana, bannana. :D

No, bro, Mr. Jerk is in California studying Don Quixote or something because they look alike, iirc. He's a real wise dude and we need him in Provo to run the KGB, atmo. The other guy, the one who doesn't want to pay e-R, he wants to emulate Hoffa. He's just plain dumb and hideous, atmo.

catulle
05-19-2006, 09:26 PM
I meant to post this pic earlier. Sorry...

Grant McLean
05-19-2006, 09:31 PM
together, we'd make a 4th of july parade!!

-g

catulle
05-19-2006, 10:07 PM

-g

Cool, that's the last C-40. The one with the split (C-50) chain stays...! And fatter tubes too. Purty, purty. Nicely appointed too, atmo. Hey, congrats.

christian
05-19-2006, 10:30 PM
Wow that light blue C40 is hot. I never knew I wanted a C40...

djg
05-19-2006, 10:43 PM

Nope. Nothing to do with the tires. That blue c-40 is no good at all. Especially if it's a 56. There's something really wrong with the geo on the size 56 ones. I'm about the only person willing to ride one, but, then, I think only of others. For a suitably low fee, I'll take the lead tubed blue C-40. I don't think Catulle should have to look at it--probably too upsetting.

catulle
05-19-2006, 11:13 PM
Nope. Nothing to do with the tires. That blue c-40 is no good at all. Especially if it's a 56. There's something really wrong with the geo on the size 56 ones. I'm about the only person willing to ride one, but, then, I think only of others. For a suitably low fee, I'll take the lead tubed blue C-40. I don't think Catulle should have to look at it--probably too upsetting.

Shoot, I started packing it to send it to you and then realized it is a 53. Sorry, dude, if I run into a 56 I'll let you know, atmo.

Johny
05-19-2006, 11:27 PM

-g

You mean the July 4th parade?

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=4258&stc=1

djg
05-26-2006, 10:31 AM
Shoot, I started packing it to send it to you and then realized it is a 53. Sorry, dude, if I run into a 56 I'll let you know, atmo.

Please follow DBRK's advice re French fit. You should really try some larger Colnagos. If you can ride a 53, you can ride a 56. After all, the bars will be higher, which is lovely, and if it doesn't work out, you already have that box ready to go. atmo, fedex imho.

You can do it ... remember, it puts the Colnago in the boxket.

dbrk
05-26-2006, 10:56 AM
Please follow DBRK's advice re French fit. You should really try some larger Colnagos. If you can ride a 53, you can ride a 56. After all, the bars will be higher, which is lovely, and if it doesn't work out, you already have that box ready to go. atmo, fedex imho.

You can do it ... remember, it puts the Colnago in the boxket.

Just a smattering more than a fist full of post here...I deem this bike French enough for me.

so there,
;-)

dbrk