PDA

View Full Version : is center lock edging out 6-bolt?

Dr Luxurious
10-21-2015, 08:51 AM
Currently shopping for hubs...
It seems like center lock is becoming prevalent. Or am I imagining it?

ergott
10-21-2015, 09:28 AM
I prefer it. Shimano rotors down to 140mm in Icetech.

saab2000
10-21-2015, 09:29 AM
I prefer it. Shimano rotors down to 140mm in Icetech.

I wish they were available for my WI 6-bolt hubs. They're super smooth hubs but the rotor availability isn't as good. I'm not aware of any 140 mm rotors for those hubs.

ergott
10-21-2015, 09:38 AM
I wish they were available for my WI 6-bolt hubs. They're super smooth hubs but the rotor availability isn't as good. I'm not aware of any 140 mm rotors for those hubs.

Sram Centerline?

peanutgallery
10-21-2015, 10:02 AM
In my experience, centerlock is far superior to any 6 bolt rotor. Ease of maintenance to actual use, I swear that they're straighter and handle heat better - particularly the cheap to midrange stuff. Easier to plug and play wheels without caliper adjustment, too.

Except for the boutique manufacturers, most struggle to get the 6 bolts on the same plane. Even then they can vary a millimeter in or out from one brand to the next, this makes caliper adjustments necessary with a wheel change as I do not feel like taking the time to align each and every hub/rotor

With the avalanche of disc brakes found on cross/gravel/road/endurance bikes for 2016 I think the centerlock system pioneered for years by shimano will finally push the 6 bolt system to the gutter. Its better suited to the application. The boutique guys better scrape their pennies together and get in line to pay shimano their licensing fee if the want to stay relevant in the road based market. The number of disc bikes coming our way is astounding. Just an opinion, but I agree with the OP's observation

saab2000
10-21-2015, 10:06 AM
Sram Centerline?

Indeed. You are correct!

I'm considering converting my Indy Fab to Shimano RS685 hydraulic/mechanical levers and I think Shimano recommends 140mm rotors for those levers.

I'd love to get new wheels with WI centerlock hubs but the ones I have are barely breaking in and I can't justify the cost of new wheels on a bike I ride so little.

jmal
10-21-2015, 10:52 AM
In my experience, centerlock is far superior to any 6 bolt rotor. Ease of maintenance to actual use, I swear that they're straighter and handle heat better - particularly the cheap to midrange stuff. Easier to plug and play wheels without caliper adjustment, too.

Except for the boutique manufacturers, most struggle to get the 6 bolts on the same plane. Even then they can vary a millimeter in or out from one brand to the next, this makes caliper adjustments necessary with a wheel change as I do not feel like taking the time to align each and every hub/rotor

With the avalanche of disc brakes found on cross/gravel/road/endurance bikes for 2016 I think the centerlock system pioneered for years by shimano will finally push the 6 bolt system to the gutter. Its better suited to the application. The boutique guys better scrape their pennies together and get in line to pay shimano their licensing fee if the want to stay relevant in the road based market. The number of disc bikes coming our way is astounding. Just an opinion, but I agree with the OP's observation

Couldn't agree more. Centerlock rotors are a superior design.

cinema
10-21-2015, 10:53 AM
yes it's a much better design in my opinion. my next wheelset will be centerlock

ergott
10-21-2015, 11:12 AM
Chris King, Tune, Industry Nine, (I'm sure I forgot one or two) better get going. White Industries CLD, Shimano or DT centerlock for the win.

eBAUMANN
10-21-2015, 11:16 AM
agree on all counts, except the scarcity of 140mm 6 bolt rotors...there are plenty of options out there.

the ease of installation/removal alone makes it worth it. also, 12 less bolts to have seize/strip out...

vqdriver
10-21-2015, 12:26 PM
when shopping, give yourself some flexibility by just going with centerlock. i don't have extra disc wheels i swap back and forth so the adjustment thing doesn't bother me. but you can always adapt centerlock to 6 bolt, but not the other way.

and fwiw, the choice of rotors isn't normally dictated by your choice of brakes. icetechs will work well for all....

eBAUMANN
10-21-2015, 12:29 PM
and fwiw, the choice of rotors isn't normally dictated by your choice of brakes. icetechs will work well for all....

one exception (and there might be more) is icetech 6 bolt rotors and bb7 road calipers. the area where the rotor meets the spider hits the tabs on the brake pads. you can only use "flat" rotors with bb7's. this has been a HUGE pain in the ass loaning wheels to my gf all season...constant rotors swapping with 6 bolt :crap:

vqdriver
10-21-2015, 01:28 PM
icetechs will work well for most....

Fixed ;)

Dr Luxurious
10-21-2015, 02:11 PM
Chris King, Tune, Industry Nine, (I'm sure I forgot one or two) better get going. White Industries CLD, Shimano or DT centerlock for the win.

especially the new XT for the price

cinema
10-21-2015, 03:58 PM
one exception (and there might be more) is icetech 6 bolt rotors and bb7 road calipers. the area where the rotor meets the spider hits the tabs on the brake pads. you can only use "flat" rotors with bb7's. this has been a HUGE pain in the ass loaning wheels to my gf all season...constant rotors swapping with 6 bolt :crap:

wow good to know thanks. i was just about to try an ice tech/bb7 set up

Look585
10-21-2015, 04:23 PM
I'm just embarking on a disc road adventure and putting together wheels. Are there any lower cost options for CL 140mm rotors? The rotors (XT or XTRs seem to be the only options) are going to cost nearly as much as the hubs! (CX75 hubs).

eBAUMANN
10-21-2015, 04:33 PM
I'm just embarking on a disc road adventure and putting together wheels. Are there any lower cost options for CL 140mm rotors? The rotors (XT or XTRs seem to be the only options) are going to cost nearly as much as the hubs! (CX75 hubs).

These (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/shimano-xt-saint-rt81-ice-tech-cl-disc-rotor/rp-prod67209) are your best bet.

Rotors last a while...and are kinda an important part of the bike, worth investing a little in em.

gdw
10-21-2015, 04:51 PM
2 XTR 140mm rotors for $38.54.
http://www.merlincycles.com/pair-shimano-xtr-rt99-140mm-rotors-70219.html

Edit - sold out

140mm is pretty small and probably heats up very quickly thus the big discount. Methinks you'll see roadies switching to larger diameter discs despite the extra weight if they ride in the mountains.

Dustin
10-21-2015, 06:29 PM
2 XTR 140mm rotors for $38.54.

http://www.merlincycles.com/pair-shimano-xtr-rt99-140mm-rotors-70219.html

Edit - sold out

140mm is pretty small and probably heats up very quickly thus the big discount. Methinks you'll see roadies switching to larger diameter discs despite the extra weight if they ride in the mountains.

Yep, not worth the weight savings to me. 160 all the way.

dton
10-21-2015, 11:28 PM

I just cut off the very soft tabs. Literally 2-3 strokes of the hack saw and I don't fumble with my pads until its time to change them (its not hard taking them out with a needle nose plier either way)

Look585
10-23-2015, 02:27 PM

Both frame and fork are designed for 140mm rotors and a small rider. Moving to 160 would require adapters which would add ugly-ness. I'm pretty sure overheating will not be a big concern. Could be wrong tho.

These (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/shimano-xt-saint-rt81-ice-tech-cl-disc-rotor/rp-prod67209) are your best bet.

Rotors last a while...and are kinda an important part of the bike, worth investing a little in em.

Thanks eBaumann for the XT link. I'm assuming the XTR Freeza (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/shimano-rt99-ice-tech-freeza-cl-disc-rotor/rp-prod82466)upgrade at $14/wheel isn't worth my time/$$$?

vqdriver
10-23-2015, 02:41 PM
i assume you refer to the caliper adapters since you wouldn't be able to adapt a frame that maxes out at 140. you don't even notice caliper adapters and it's normal to use them unless you use the minimum size rotors.
what frame is it? it's doubtful that it maxes out at 140.

either way, i've run mine 140/140, 160/140, and now 160/160. i like the 160/160

Look585
10-23-2015, 03:22 PM
Ah, I was thinking IS>Post adapters would be ugly. I guess that with post mounts <> post brakes, its just a spacer (like below)?

What do I get with bigger rotors? Modulation/power/cooling/etc? 160mm is certainly easier to source...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61ADHIOIOQL._SX522_.jpg

vqdriver
10-23-2015, 04:11 PM
normally look something like this.
the IS bolts thread into the side and post mount brakes just bolt right in.

https://fairwheelbikes.com/assets/images/ashima_pm_adapters_jpg/ashima_pm_adapters.jpg

eBAUMANN
10-23-2015, 04:53 PM
POST MOUNT ADAPTOR:

Ah, I was thinking IS>Post adapters would be ugly. I guess that with post mounts <> post brakes, its just a spacer (like below)?

What do I get with bigger rotors? Modulation/power/cooling/etc? 160mm is certainly easier to source...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61ADHIOIOQL._SX522_.jpg

ISO MOUNT ADAPTOR:

normally look something like this.
the IS bolts thread into the side and post mount brakes just bolt right in.

https://fairwheelbikes.com/assets/images/ashima_pm_adapters_jpg/ashima_pm_adapters.jpg

I would say that the extra cooling benefits of the freeza rotors would only be useful if you plan on doing longer rides with long descents n such. For example, I use XT rotors for racing (because heat is not an issue) and XTR freeza rotors for gravel/road rides. I have yet to experience a heat related issue in either context though.

RacerJRP
10-23-2015, 04:57 PM
I would echo eBaumann in that if you are using this bike for road/ gravel riding and want 140mm rotors you SHOULD be running the freeza rotors no doubt. The cooling on those compared to the standard ice tech is massively better. Non-ice 140mm rotors have no place on bikes that get used for more than a CX race IMO. Spend the money.

For CX or low speed/ low brake usage applications it is not as big a deal.

peanutgallery
10-24-2015, 06:56 AM
Noticed that specialized is using centerlock on their house brand disc road wheels, Axis

That must have a painful check to cut for Mr Sinyard:)

SpeedyChix
10-24-2015, 07:43 AM
If you want 6-bolt 140s, Magura makes them.

Chris King will have center lock hubs Spring 2016.

Given a choice I'll go with center locks. Install alone is a huge plus.
However, both work fine. Just makes keeping an inventory of spares on hand a bit more work and $.

oldpotatoe
10-24-2015, 07:44 AM
If you want 6-bolt 140s, Magura makes them.

Chris King will have center lock hubs Spring 2016.

Given a choice I'll go with center locks. Install alone is a huge plus.

True story..had a customer who installed only 3 of the 6 bolts, 'to save weight'...:eek:

r_mutt
10-24-2015, 08:06 AM
Yamaha TZ 250's had 3 bolt rotors as standard equipment on their front wheels in the 90's. I've seen guys take 2 bolts off their Yamaha FZR400's (of 5 total) and race them for years. Not that I would do it but it's been done on heavier and faster vehicles.