PDA

View Full Version : Hanging bikes?

jwb96
05-19-2006, 04:29 PM
In an effort to reclaim some garage space, I'm trying to figure out how to minimize the floor space bikes take up. Is hanging a bike by its wheel any worse than any other storage method? I'm thinking of either plain old hooks to hang from the ceiling, or one of these doo-hickeys:

Fixed
05-19-2006, 04:30 PM
bro every shop i ve been hangs bike
cheers

Kevan
05-19-2006, 04:41 PM
Even a 30lb bike isn't going to put a dent or bring a rim out of true. Oh, I suppose if the bike hung there from the same spot for a year or better it might. One precaution I take for my hardtail mtb is hanging it from the rear wheel rather than the suspension fork.

I do see that annodized (color) rims sometimes gets a "polished" look from the hook over time. I've added rubber insulation to the hook using either pieces of old inner tube or mtb grips.

dave thompson
05-19-2006, 05:55 PM
I've got limted floor space in my garage and high ceilings, so I use one of these. Pretty nifty.

Bud
05-19-2006, 07:02 PM
I've been wanting to put one of those pulley and rope rigs in my office so I can hoist my bike. Right now, I have to park it behind my desk or in the front of the office if the space is available. We've got high ceilings, though. I think next time I go to Lowes I'll grab some stuff for the job.

Erik.Lazdins
05-19-2006, 07:34 PM
I've been wanting to put one of those pulley and rope rigs in my office so I can hoist my bike. Right now, I have to park it behind my desk or in the front of the office if the space is available. We've got high ceilings, though. I think next time I go to Lowes I'll grab some stuff for the job.

When I ride to work, I need to park my bike in a bike rack outside. Office space for a bike is a great thing.

Ride well!

kestrel
05-19-2006, 07:44 PM
Here ya' go, this thread might be helpful:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=16659&highlight=lowes

TimD
05-19-2006, 07:59 PM
A 14-foot ceiling helps.

ZippRider
05-19-2006, 09:58 PM
This is my method, just another idea..

stackie
05-19-2006, 11:09 PM
zipp

almost my dream setup... you just need a fixie.

BTW, is that mirror or polished stainless for the wheel strike plates? I have sim setup in my garage and my wife is less than happy about the marks on the wall.

Jon

TimD
05-20-2006, 05:06 AM
Wow!

Kevin
05-20-2006, 05:39 AM
I've got limted floor space in my garage and high ceilings, so I use one of these. Pretty nifty.

I have the same set-up.

Kevin

ZippRider
05-20-2006, 12:27 PM
zipp

almost my dream setup... you just need a fixie.

BTW, is that mirror or polished stainless for the wheel strike plates? I have sim setup in my garage and my wife is less than happy about the marks on the wall.

Jon

Stackie, it is aluminum and I polished it with a scotch brite type pad that fit on a small hand grinder.

Doug

ClutchCargo
05-20-2006, 01:21 PM
and Colorado Cyclist, I think, have this rack that is essentially to prongs (plus a small wire shelf) that will hold two bikes. The prongs support the top tube. This rack only requiures one stud and is pretty cool (especially if you have traditional top tube road/cross bikes). $29.95.

That ceiling pulley set up that Performance is pretty cool too, but pricier and takes a bit longer to set up (and a big ladder if you have 14 ft. ceilings!).

Hang on!

fmbp
05-20-2006, 02:42 PM
In my old apartment, the bikes occupied the storage area in the basement. There were six bikes hanging side-by-side by j-hooks. It worked pretty well, and this way my wife or I could grab whichever bike we wanted at the time.

glc
05-20-2006, 05:34 PM
yep

Fixed
05-20-2006, 07:07 PM
bro i feel like i'm home
cheers

classic1
05-20-2006, 08:04 PM
A mate of mine broke his 17 year old steel frame the other week. It broke on the chainstay near the rear drop out. It had actually rusted through.

His father, who built the frame, used to nag him not to hang the bike up by the front wheel after riding in the rain, as any water accumulated in the frame wouldn't drain out. Instead, it would run back into the chainstay. Looks like he was right! :)

Fixed
05-20-2006, 08:17 PM
I always hang mine upside down and take the seatpost out after rain
I believe it let's the frame breath... and drain ..cheers

Lifelover
05-21-2006, 06:08 AM
Just don't hang a MTB with oil filled shocks. The oil can leak out and make a mess.