PDA

View Full Version : Switch from Conti to Vittoria

Coalfield
10-20-2015, 07:47 PM
I've been a Continental guy in my tubular choices, but PBK has Vittoria Corsa CX for $55. Should I try a pair or stick with my Sprinters?

buldogge
10-20-2015, 08:52 PM
Definitely get them...in 25mm.

-Mark in St. Louis

pbarry
10-20-2015, 09:02 PM
Nothing against Vittoria CX tires, I ride them almost exclusively, but Excel Sports has Challenge tubies on sale, (the Stradas are the only ones available in 25c).
http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?page=7&major=1&minor=28

Peter B
10-20-2015, 09:05 PM
The Pave CG in 25 or 27 is a real nice tire also.

weisan
10-20-2015, 09:17 PM
The Pave CG in 25 or 27 is a real nice tire also.

Indeed! Got a pair of 27 in the last Merlin sale, only used it in the rear, in combo with Conti 4000s front - very happy camper.

RyanH
10-20-2015, 11:38 PM
I rode Conti sprinters for almost two years, then I went to veloflex. The difference was night and day. The Vittoria Pave's I have are much nicer than the Sprinters but still not as nice as a pair of Carbons. Regardless, try them, I'm sure you'll like them a lot more.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

saab2000
10-20-2015, 11:47 PM
Sprinter tubulars are the worst tires I have ever used. :mad:

Veloflex tubulars are the best tires I have every used. :beer:

Vittoria tubulars are FAR closer to Veloflex than Continental. No contest. If you're going to use Continental do yourself a favor and use their better ones. Otherwise just ride clinchers. Garbage clinchers are better than Sprinter tubulars because at least they're round and straight, neither of which the Sprinters claim on a good day.

ultraman6970
10-20-2015, 11:59 PM
Ultra like vittorias more than continentals... they feel quicker.

oldpotatoe
10-21-2015, 05:48 AM
I've been a Continental guy in my tubular choices, but PBK has Vittoria Corsa CX for $55. Should I try a pair or stick with my Sprinters?

Sprinters are very durable, but Vittoria are more supple-IMHO.

Look at Vittoria Corsa Elite-25c,(also 23c), 290 tpi, butyl tube..really nice ride, less $, durable.

BUT those who compare Veloflex to just about anything.....for the $, I just don't see it. I think in a blindfold test, I'd bet you can't tell the difference between Vittoria CX(and maybe Elite) and Veloflex. NICE tires but yeegads, expensive, even at wholesale or UK.

saab2000
10-21-2015, 06:02 AM
BUT those who compare Veloflex to just about anything.....for the $, I just don't see it. I think in a blindfold test, I'd bet you can't tell the difference between Vittoria CX(and maybe Elite) and Veloflex. NICE tires but yeegads, expensive, even at wholesale or UK.

They aren't cheap, I'll agree with that. And I'm not 100% sure I could tell the difference but I think I could. Anyway, it's a moot point as Vittoria are good tubulars.

I've had very, very good experiences with Veloflex and find the price worth it for the riding I've done over the years. I have worn many a Veloflex down to the threads. They're not cheap but I've always seem to gotten good value from mine. Value is the key word. They've been good to me.

oldpotatoe
10-21-2015, 06:06 AM
They aren't cheap, I'll agree with that. And I'm not 100% sure I could tell the difference but I think I could. Anyway, it's a moot point as Vittoria are good tubulars.

I've had very, very good experiences with Veloflex and find the price worth it for the riding I've done over the years. I have worn many a Veloflex down to the threads. They're not cheap but I've always seem to gotten good value from mine. Value is the key word. They've been good to me.

I think Veloflex are 'maybe' the best. Ala FMB and Dugast w/o the tread coming off(like 'some' of those I have seen). Really nice tires but when looking at the distributor when I was in the shop, wholesale was twice what CXs were..YMMV, and all, I agree great tires...

Just glad tubulars, along with spo;)kes, rims and hubs..haven't gone away..

AngryScientist
10-21-2015, 06:39 AM
based on suggestions here i have a pair of the vittoria cx's stretching on my new nemesis rims in the basement. i'll be gluing them up over the winter sometime to be ready for early spring riding.

i'm not a fan of any conti tires, and that goes for cars too. IMO

El Chaba
10-21-2015, 06:44 AM
Sprinters are very durable, but Vittoria are more supple-IMHO.

Look at Vittoria Corsa Elite-25c,(also 23c), 290 tpi, butyl tube..really nice ride, less $, durable.

I bought my last Veloflex Criteriums from a www. source in Italy....$65/tire shipping included.

Coalfield
10-21-2015, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the replies. For $55ea I ordered a pair. Only 1 set as I'm hoping for winter sales on some of the other tires mentioned, I draw the line somewhere around $75ea. Picked up a deal on some Specialized tires over the summer and they are more supple than the Sprinter but seem more prone to small cuts. And the latex vs butyl difference may be more significant than I had previously thought. Not sure who Spec went to for their tubie.

Saab2k - as to the worst tire, I'm not running the Gatorskin version, but always ready to try a different tire. 3 of my 5 roadies run Al tubulars and maybe a carbon set is in my future - a nice wheelset deserves a good tire.

and yes maybe I should consider something a tad wider than 23mm for the rural chipseal roads I find myself driving to more and more. 'Suburban Seattle' is growing too fast for leisurely rides.

Vinci
10-21-2015, 09:49 AM
FYI, Nashbar has Open Corsa Evo CX's today for $22.50 in several colors and sizes.

jonnyBgood
10-21-2015, 11:02 AM
Have any of you guys tried the Challange Strada Tubulars?

I'm mainly a Vittoria guy as well but for the price of the Strada's at Excel I just may have to try them.

I have used Challange Tubulars on my cyclocross bike the last couple years with no problem but have never used their Road models

saab2000
10-21-2015, 11:20 AM
I once purchased a pair of Nucleon tubular wheels which had some Challenge Strada tubulars installed. So they were used and for how long I don't know. But that's the disclaimer here.

The rode nicely but eventually the base tape separated and I had to toss them.

My faves remain Veloflex but for the money Vittoria are likely your best bet. 90% of the ride of Veloflex at half the price. I'd get Continental Competitions again but there's no price advantage and they don't ride nearly as nicely as the others and they're very difficult to install.

Vittoria are among the easiest to install.

rwsaunders
10-21-2015, 11:31 AM
Saab and Lionel virtually convinced me to try Veloflex tubulars a few years ago and now I have a hard time going back to other brands. I have ridden 25mm Conti Competitions (reliable and hard wearing...nearly impossible to mount) and I currently have 27mm Vittoria Paves on another bike (so far reliable and ride nicely, but prone to cuts). Let's see what the Winter dishes out.

My current favorite is the 25mm Veloflex Roubaix which I find to be reliable, hard wearing, roll nicely, good wet weather traction and mount accurately, which can be an issue with some tubulars. Did I mention that they have a sweet, enchanting sound to them when they roll? YMMV of course.

pjmsj21
10-21-2015, 01:46 PM
Saab and Lionel virtually convinced me to try Veloflex tubulars a few years ago and now I have a hard time going back to other brands. I have ridden 25mm Conti Competitions (reliable and hard wearing...nearly impossible to mount) and I currently have 27mm Vittoria Paves on another bike (so far reliable and ride nicely, but prone to cuts). Let's see what the Winter dishes out.

My current favorite is the 25mm Veloflex Roubaix which I find to be reliable, hard wearing, roll nicely, good wet weather traction and mount accurately, which can be an issue with some tubulars. Did I mention that they have a sweet, enchanting sound to them when they roll? YMMV of course.

Dido to all of the above comments with the exception that I ride Arenberg's which is the blackwall version of the Roubaix. Saab and Lionel have sway.

rwsaunders
10-21-2015, 02:38 PM
Dido to all of the above comments with the exception that I ride Arenberg's which is the blackwall version of the Roubaix. Saab and Lionel have sway.

I had to go for the style points with the Roubaix's tan sidewalls as they went well with the decals on my frame. You said it...Saab and Lionel are the Old Men of the Tubular Mountain. :cool:

teleguy57
10-21-2015, 02:47 PM
Have any of you guys tried the Challange Strada Tubulars?

I'm mainly a Vittoria guy as well but for the price of the Strada's at Excel I just may have to try them.

I have used Challange Tubulars on my cyclocross bike the last couple years with no problem but have never used their Road models

Don't. Search for my posts on them here. There's a reason they're blowing them out so cheap.

Do: Vittoria Corsa Elites in 25 for an all around tire. Vittoria Corsa CX or SC (depending on your preference in sidewall color) for very nice riding tires albeit at a big higher costs. I've also run Vittoria Paves in 27 and would like something a little wider at times. Oh, and tubs, or course....

saab2000
10-21-2015, 05:07 PM
Don't. Search for my posts on them here. There's a reason they're blowing them out so cheap.

Do: Vittoria Corsa Elites in 25 for an all around tire. Vittoria Corsa CX or SC (depending on your preference in sidewall color) for very nice riding tires albeit at a big higher costs. I've also run Vittoria Paves in 27 and would like something a little wider at times. Oh, and tubs, or course....

Trust this guy.

I learned some of the witchcraft of tubulars from this man in the early 1980s. I still mostly ride tubulars but have had some weaknesses lately and have *gasp* recently purchased a set of carbon clinchers. They may or may not stick around but for some purposes they're not awful.

You folks are generous in your words but Teleguy57 taught me, so listen to him, not me.