PDA

View Full Version : Theft attempt or vandalism/sabotage?

stronzo
10-20-2015, 08:49 AM
So, yesterday I stayed late at work to finish up a bear of a file, which is a very unusual. I almost never stay late at work because I very much enjoy not working. But yeah, I came out of my office building at about 9:30 and walked up to my bike u-locked (front wheel and frame) in its usual spot on the no-parking sign. I unlocked the bike, stowed the lock, and rolled the bike off the curb only to hear a THUNK. I looked down and noticed my front wheel was loose. At first, I figured some fool had tried to steal the front wheel not realizing it was u-locked, but when I bent down to re-tighten the quick release skewer, I noticed the nut end was missing. What the what...After a thorough search of the ground around the bike, I realized the nut was really and truly gone. Then, I realized the back nut was gone too. Nothing else was missing from the bike. Just the two skewer ends.

This just happened last night, and I mostly just want to vent because I'm still kind of angry, but I'm also curious: was someone trying to steal my wheels (both were still seated in the dropouts) or was someone hoping I'd start riding and then seriously injure myself at some point in the ride? Either way :butt:

benb
10-20-2015, 08:52 AM
I'm curious, did you devise some clever solution to get home? Or were you stuck calling for a ride?

Pretty annoying, but at least the bike wasn't stolen.

stronzo
10-20-2015, 08:56 AM
I'm curious, did you devise some clever solution to get home? Or were you stuck calling for a ride?

Pretty annoying, but at least the bike wasn't stolen.

Nah, I'm not that clever :p I walked it (only 3.5 miles).

JAllen
10-20-2015, 09:07 AM
I wonder if the vandal likes to cut brake lines too.

bcroslin
10-20-2015, 09:24 AM
If I had to guess I would say it was some crank who doesn't like where you locked up your bike and decided to teach you a lesson. We have a weird neighbor that doesn't talk to anyone but does weird random stuff like this to annoy everyone on the block. There's a lot of undiagnosed mental illness out there unfortunately.

druptight
10-20-2015, 09:36 AM
Certainly sounds like a sabotage attempt to me.

Is this no parking sign anywhere near the sidewalk? Could someone consider your bike to be in their way of parking/walking? Is there anyone at work who might be upset you ride because you take up early morning bathroom time to shower or for some other curmudgeon-y reason?

stronzo
10-20-2015, 10:35 AM
Certainly sounds like a sabotage attempt to me.

Is this no parking sign anywhere near the sidewalk? Could someone consider your bike to be in their way of parking/walking? Is there anyone at work who might be upset you ride because you take up early morning bathroom time to shower or for some other curmudgeon-y reason?

The sign is in the grass, just off the sidewalk. I'm pretty cool w/everyone at work I think. I don't hog the bathroom showering because there are no showers at work (my commute is short and mostly downhill, so I don't really sweat on the ride). I'm leaning toward bcroslin's crazy person theory.

Oh well, time to invest in some locking skewers I guess. For cheapo wheels too, sheesh.

tuxbailey
10-20-2015, 10:39 AM
Say, have you taken any new life insurance policy?

Avincent52
10-20-2015, 11:18 AM
There's a security camera aimed at that spot, right?

But even if there isn't, the perp doesn't know that.
A "we know who you are" note, preferably crafted from letters cut from a newspaper ransom note style, might serve to unsettle the idiot who did this.
Or escalate the conflict to bike sabotage to semi-automatic weapons.

Do you have enemies?

Peter P.
10-20-2015, 06:08 PM
Don't overthink it- It was vandalism pure and simple.

I had something similar happen to me except they stole the entire skewer-BOTH OF THEM. I had to get a ride home.

dgauthier
10-21-2015, 01:22 AM
Yup. Don't over-think motivation when you are dealing with stupidity.

The idiot probably wanted to steal your wheels, but was too stupid to notice the the front wheel was locked up until he got through unscrewing the quick releases. He unscrewed the nuts because, even though he opened the QR's, he thinks you have to unscrew the nuts all the way to get the wheels off. Because he's stupid.

And he didn't take the other half of the quick releases, because he doesn't know they come off. Because he's stupid.

And he didn't take the rear wheel, because he didn't know he could. Because . . .

Cicli
10-21-2015, 04:57 AM
Yup. Don't over-think motivation when you are dealing with stupidity.

The idiot probably wanted to steal your wheels, but was too stupid to notice the the front wheel was locked up until he got through unscrewing the quick releases. He unscrewed the nuts because, even though he opened the QR's, he thinks you have to unscrew the nuts all the way to get the wheels off. Because he's stupid.

And he didn't take the other half of the quick releases, because he doesn't know they come off. Because he's stupid.

And he didn't take the rear wheel, because he didn't know he could. Because . . .

This. There are alot of dumba$$es in this world.

oldpotatoe
10-21-2015, 06:23 AM
So, yesterday I stayed late at work to finish up a bear of a file, which is a very unusual. I almost never stay late at work because I very much enjoy not working. But yeah, I came out of my office building at about 9:30 and walked up to my bike u-locked (front wheel and frame) in its usual spot on the no-parking sign. I unlocked the bike, stowed the lock, and rolled the bike off the curb only to hear a THUNK. I looked down and noticed my front wheel was loose. At first, I figured some fool had tried to steal the front wheel not realizing it was u-locked, but when I bent down to re-tighten the quick release skewer, I noticed the nut end was missing. What the what...After a thorough search of the ground around the bike, I realized the nut was really and truly gone. Then, I realized the back nut was gone too. Nothing else was missing from the bike. Just the two skewer ends.

This just happened last night, and I mostly just want to vent because I'm still kind of angry, but I'm also curious: was someone trying to steal my wheels (both were still seated in the dropouts) or was someone hoping I'd start riding and then seriously injure myself at some point in the ride? Either way :butt:

Get some bolt on QRs...guy was probably trying to lift the wheels..couldn't figure it all out..chucked the nuts, left.

mecse
10-21-2015, 06:39 AM

Wow. Super glad you noticed early on that this was the problem! Walking ~4 miles is better than falling off on the street.

I'm in NYC. Random micro-boring thefts like this happen all the time. I've had anything not bolted down on my bike stolen (actually: not true. Nobody has taken the my handlebars.

Another good reason I'm glad I have Pitlocks (https://www.pitlock.de/en) on the bike I lock outside..