PDA

View Full Version : How do you fit in your training?

Miller76
10-19-2015, 09:31 PM
I've been riding for years and years, but nothing competitive for the last 10. I'm married, turning 40 next year, have a three year old daughter and my daily commute is 90 minutes door to door each way. I start work at 7am and therefore I need to leave the house at 5:30am come wind, rain or snow. No remote access etc. Generally home between 18:45 and 19:00. I love my job, and my family love where we live.

I really enjoyed my riding this year. I mixed up a lot of good rides with my local bike shops B group and managed to hang on for a decent number of the faster A group rides.

I'm still not looking to compete, but would like to spend more time in the faster A group rides next season, without feeling like I am just hanging on for dear life.

What this long introduction is leading to is "how do I make that a reality given my schedule?"

In the basement I have a treadmill, a decent amount of some free weights with a bench and a turbo trainer.

I'm not averse to squeezing in 30-40 minutes in the morning or a workout/trainer ride in the evening but how can I make realhttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/19/8b05d4199d18f1644c3aefa8d0752e55.jpg progress rather than just treading water during the darker and colder months?

I'm posting this at around 10:30pm, and don't normally hit the hay until 11pm so I do have time in the evening to fit in a workout.

Open to all ideas and suggestions

Thanks in advance
Simon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

avalonracing
10-19-2015, 09:36 PM
My advice would don't ride junk miles. If you are going to train... on those days train. At the same time make sure you ride for fun too or you'll burn out. It's a long winter.

shovelhd
10-19-2015, 10:10 PM
Get a power meter and do interval training. You have plenty of base, all you need is speed and endurance. I won national events on less than 10 hours/wk. You can get where you want to go with less. The biggest hurdle is balancing even 5-7 hours/wk. with the rest of your life. Solve that problem, and the rest is just commitment and consistency.

malbecman
10-19-2015, 10:17 PM
I agree, biggest bang for the buck are intervals....you cant do them every day, even 2 per week is plenty (if done properly) but they really help in so many ways (speed, recovery, etc).

carpediemracing
10-19-2015, 10:38 PM
Similar situation, I leave work a bit later but I'm the one dropping our 3-1/2 year old at daycare on the days he goes, so I'm up with him (5:30-6:30 AM) until I leave with him.

I put aside my evenings for him (Missus and I share the work) until he goes to sleep so that's 7:30-9PM before I'm free.

I tend to train at night, on the trainer, after Junior goes to sleep. 9:30-10PM start at the earliest, sometimes 11 PM if I'm antsy. Tonight no ride, got home later than normal (8:45 PM?). I'll try to ride tomorrow night.

After I started on Zwift I found myself going on Zwift just to ride. I would prefer more talking communication and less texting, but it's fun. I tend to go for sprints (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8X9ThJJdQs) but I know that the 3-8 minute efforts really benefit me.

Speaking of which Intervals - this spring I did my first real interval schedule in about 30 years of racing (just JRA other than that, and usually not very fast). This year I rode indoors basically exclusively except for races. I did 5 "event" training rides like a 25 mile fundraiser, a 60 mile, and some in-between distances. I did the intervals while I was basically sick (part of an experiment/study so pushed through; in fact I learned of the study here). First 3 rides of the year were races. Sick (field sprint, blew up), sick (field sprint, blew up), not sick (won the race (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClymNj6e9dE)). Got 3rd (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zfje-74LEc), 3rd again (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClymNj6e9dE), another 3rd (no cam allowed that day for some reason), and a couple solid races in ones that I normally DNF.

I had a solid season this year. You can see all my training here (https://www.strava.com/athletes/143064).

So, yes, intervals. You can get by on 3-5 hours a week if you're selective in your events.

Other than hills you can gain a ton of "ability" simply by learning how to draft much more efficiently. I rarely average over 200w in a race simply because my threshold is just a little higher than that. 170-190w is about normal. That translates to 17-19 mph on a flat road. So learning how to ride in a group is super significant. Does not apply to hills, unfortunately. I'm usually the first to get shelled on a hill longer than about 45 seconds.

Dead Man
10-19-2015, 10:41 PM
I may have misread... I thought your 90 minute commute was on the bike, first read - but now I'm feeling like you're saying that's CAR time...?

That's awful. that's even worse than my average 60-minute drive, when I have to work in the city.

---

I try to bike commute as often as I can.. but it's generally a 2-hour commute by bike, plus I need my truck for a lot of what I do. Sometimes if I'm super diligent in planning, I can leave my truck at work and then ride home, which is a wonderful motivator to then ride back to work in the morning.. since.. you know.. I have no other choice.. and getting the motivation to square myself away well enough to actually get up over an hour early to ride in the morning is otherwise pretty hard for me.

Aside from that, I just ride when I can, and sometimes life really gets in the way. But the biggest tip I can offer, I wish some of my riding partners/teammates would adhere to: RIDE WHEN YOU CAN, no matter how little time you've got. I'm not afraid to saddle up for a 30 minute sprintfest around town. I'm not afraid to race out to the low hills just outside of town and just pound out as much elevation as I have time for. 45-60 minutes? I'll take it. Better than nothing. I'm also not afraid to do it in crappy weather.

Most guys see a 45 minute window and don't even consider it. Just make those your high-intensity workouts.. like others have said, intervals. I have a 4-mile circuit in my little town, starting and ending 50' from my driveway. It's got 2 signals, 1 stop sign, two nasty little hills, plenty of tight corners and one spot where the speed limit is 25 where I race traffic... I can get a hell of a workout on that thing in three laps, come home absolutely destroyed.

Just gotta find ways to make the time you have count!

ldamelio
10-20-2015, 05:56 AM
Low volume, high intensity. Try Chris Carmichael's "The Time-Crunched Cyclist" book. Putting aside the odor of his association with Lance, the book addresses your (and my) situation in detail. Especially for shorter events (crits, cross) it can be done and done well.

weisan
10-20-2015, 06:05 AM
miller pal, I am not competitive, don't train for races, just your average weekend recreational rider who likes to mix things up every now and then...but one thing I do see is...if you are serious about taking up training and putting your body through some kind of intensity...and if you do, I think you might have to adjust your sleeping pattern a bit. Going to bed at 11 and leaving the house at 5:30, means you get less than 6 hours sleep on average. I am in my mid-40s, sleep a lot less than I used to, I get it...but at some point, it will catch up with you especially you are tearing the body down with the extra training. Just a thought.

Peter P.
10-20-2015, 06:10 AM
Between work and commuting and group rides, I don't see how you have sufficient time for your family.

Thinking you're going to invest MORE time for your improvement is a disservice to your family.

Be content where you are as given your current situation, you get in plenty of riding as is.

weisan
10-20-2015, 06:11 AM
Listen to Master P.

oldpotatoe
10-20-2015, 06:25 AM
I want to know how you survive on so little sleep. 5 1/2 hours or so would put me in the hurtlocker for sure.

Does the wee one sleep thru the night? My 4 year old and 2 year old grand daughters 'sometimes' do..

AngryScientist
10-20-2015, 06:44 AM
miller pal, I am not competitive, don't train for races, just your average weekend recreational rider who likes to mix things up every now and then...but one thing I do see is...if you are serious about taking up training and putting your body through some kind of intensity...and if you do, I think you might have to adjust your sleeping pattern a bit. Going to bed at 11 and leaving the house at 5:30, means you get less than 6 hours sleep on average. I am in my mid-40s, sleep a lot less than I used to, I get it...but at some point, it will catch up with you especially you are tearing the body down with the extra training. Just a thought.

this sounds like a good thing to consider. i think if you add too much more intensity on the little rest your body is getting you have a real risk for meltdown.

i have a similar schedule, though not quite as time constrained. my plans for the winter:

- diet: i try and eat as healthy as i reasonably can. keep the weight down and nutrition up. a healthy body takes to training fitness better, and there are only two variables in the power/kg equation right?

- 2 high intensity workouts during the weekdays. short duration, high intensity, focusing on core strength, not cycling specific

- 1 longer excercise block per weekend.

it's not a lot, and i dont get to even do that every week, but it's the weekly goal.

we should ride sometime Miller.

sandyrs
10-20-2015, 06:46 AM
Clearly people aren't on the same page about your commute. I read it like The B- 90 minutes in a car. But please clarify.

Joachim
10-20-2015, 07:08 AM
I've now had 3 riders that came to me after they overtrained on time crunched programs, so I'm going to strongly advise against them. It's not the program itself but the fact that 'time crunched' means more than just available hours, example life stress, when the hrs are available (night, morning etc). PM me and I will get you on the right track. 90% of my riders has limited time available which makes the correct workouts essential to prevent overtraining while progressing at the same time.

Ti Designs
10-20-2015, 07:11 AM
Between work and commuting and group rides, I don't see how you have sufficient time for your family.

Focus on the "have to do's" before the "want to do's" has been beaten into you since you were born. I think too many people follow that too closely, going to work, coming home to their responsibilities, but never chasing their goals. I know this better than most, I coach riders in person. Each fall I talk to my clients about their goals for the next season, some of them will get there, most will find that life gets in the way. What is more important that trying to reach your goals? If you say work or family, you've already lost. They may be as important,but as soon as you put them above, you're never going to be happy. You may not notice this 'cause so many people are like this.

Next question to think about: If you do reach your goals, are you better with your family and at work? If you answered yes to that one, it's time to set up a training plan and make it a priority.

AngryScientist
10-20-2015, 07:22 AM
Focus on the "have to do's" before the "want to do's" has been beaten into you since you were born. I think too many people follow that too closely, going to work, coming home to their responsibilities, but never chasing their goals. I know this better than most, I coach riders in person. Each fall I talk to my clients about their goals for the next season, some of them will get there, most will find that life gets in the way. What is more important that trying to reach your goals? If you say work or family, you've already lost. They may be as important,but as soon as you put them above, you're never going to be happy. You may not notice this 'cause so many people are like this.

is this really valid advice for the OP in this case?

if he winds up divorced and unemployed, but can hammer it on the A-ride, is that honestly what you think makes sense here?

oldpotatoe
10-20-2015, 07:29 AM

Next question to think about: If you do reach your goals, are you better with your family and at work? If you answered yes to that one, it's time to set up a training plan and make it a priority.

yikes...the goals you are talking about involves riding a bicycle, right?

If you don't achieve a 'goal' in riding a bicycle, because of your family, I wouldn't call that 'losing'. AND achieving said bicycle riding goals, I guess it can make your family or work life 'better'...maybe, i guess...YMMV, IMHO, blah, blah.

I think it's about priorities, not goals. If life and family get in the way of riding a bicycle, I'd say something IS amiss, if it tweaks one. BUT I'm not sure the priority ought to be riding a bicycle instead of the family.

Again, IMHO.

Avincent52
10-20-2015, 07:52 AM
You're all right!
(Meaning all our Super Sage Paceline Advisors are right. You, Miller, are a mess and you came to us just in time.)

Don't ride junk miles! Get a power meter! Do intervals!
Get more sleep! See your family more! Ride with Nick (and me) sometime!
Never see your family again! Don't lose your job and get divorced!
Listen to Old Potatoe!

Repeat as necessary.

But seriously. You've got a busy schedule and small kids. I've been there.
And during that time, I hardly rode at all. But I'm still married, still made my mortgage payments, and got to see my kids every day.

That said, the key is Quality Time. Meaning, GTF off Paceline (or whatever) and use the 20 minutes you save toward a decent slice of a workout. The key is going to be grabbing a short, efficient workout while everyone else in the house is sleeping, whether that's at 4:45 am or 10:30 pm.

And get a better bike. If you have a better bike, your life will be better. One with carbon fiber bars in an Eddy Merckx-on-EPO classic aero bend.
But first lower your bars 1 cm, raise your saddle .73 cm, lower the pressure in your rear tire .03 bar. Oh, and shave your legs. With a boar hair brush and a straight razor.

oldpotatoe
10-20-2015, 07:54 AM
You're all right!

Don't ride junk miles! Get a power meter! Do intervals!
Get more sleep! See your family more! Ride with Nick (and me) sometime!
Never see your family again! Don't lose your job and get divorced!
Listen to Old Potatoe!

Repeat as necessary.

But seriously. You've got a busy schedule and small kids. I've been there.
And during that time, I hardly rode at all. But I'm still married, still made my mortgage payments, and got to see my kids every day.

That said, the key is Quality Time. Meaning, GTF off Paceline:D (or whatever) and use the 20 minutes you save toward a decent slice of a workout. The key is going to be grabbing a short, efficient workout while everyone else in the house is sleeping, whether that's at 4:45 am or 10:30 pm.

And get a better bike. If you have a better bike, your life will be better. One with carbon fiber bars in a classic if Eddy Merckx on EPO classic aero bend.
But first lower your bars 1 cm and raise your saddle .73 cm. Just cuz.

tee-hee..

Zoodles
10-20-2015, 08:04 AM
If the goal is to s to hang on the 'A' ride it shouldn't take more than eating well, riding consistently, and adding intensity. At the end of the day though riding shouldn't be a source of stress but an escape from it.

I have two young kids and race competitively, however, I find their activities moving further up my priority list each year. I love racing/riding but I love watching the kids grow more.

Good advice in here and if I can add anything it's to learn to love your trainer. 45 min on the trainer is gold on a limited schedule. Also, take a good look at the 'A' group, more than a few have followed the fools maxim, "if you're still married your not training enough.'

R3awak3n
10-20-2015, 08:14 AM
is this really valid advice for the OP in this case?

if he winds up divorced and unemployed, but can hammer it on the A-ride, is that honestly what you think makes sense here?

well said here.

Also I think there is time to accomplish your goals and not neglect your family and friends.

Lewis Moon
10-20-2015, 08:31 AM
This issue has been a struggle for me. I'm not a natural endurance athlete and I have to train pretty consciously and specifically to even be pack fodder when the road tips up. But I love competitive road racing. I've ridden off and on since 1974 and have recently been bitten by the CX vampire.
I also have a family, a 15 y/o daughter who has her own aspirations, a wife who is a college professor, a new/old house that needs a lot of work and a pretty sweet job as a field biologist that takes me to the four corners of my beautiful State on a regular basis.
I train when I can. A lot of days I'm out the door at 4:30 AM to get in 30 - 45 miles before work. On a good week I'll get in 250 miles, but a lot of weeks I'll be under 100, and my Strava time line shows a lot of holes.
I could probably shoe horn more training miles in by working in the margins, on a trainer and finding a way to haul a bike on the road, but at some point I reach diminishing returns , AKA: if I have to work that hard at it, it becomes a job.
Time with my family is precious, so Saturday is theirs. Sitting and having coffee with my wife while our teenage daughter sleeps in is a beautiful thing, but there's also marching band competitions, family trips, volunteer time, etc, so Saturday, usually a big mileage/group ride day, is wonderfully shot.
What it comes down to is; what do I want from life? (Cue: Fee Waybill).
To be frank, I'm a bit of a competitive A$$hole on the bike. I can't just ride and chat and smell the roses. This makes getting my a$$ handed to me on race days pretty hard to take. I probably should just become a "racer emeritus" but I don't know what riding w/o racing as a logical end looks like. I'm not a fan of "World 'O Freds" century rides and I hate crits, so that leaves a paltry one or two gravel races a year and maybe some underground CX races. Maybe that's for the best.

ceolwulf
10-20-2015, 08:58 AM
90 minutes each way commute ... you spend literally a month in the car every year ... for me personally there is absolutely no way I could justify that for any reason. Think of everything you could do with an extra month every year ...

benb
10-20-2015, 09:27 AM
I have a son who is turning 3 next month, my cycling has been a big mess since he was born. I feel like I am just starting to get things turned around to where I might be able to have a decent season next year.

Just looking at my times on Strava for my local rides I'm faster now than any time since he's been born, and I have an 8lb(!) penalty with my bike right now compared to the bike I was riding when he was born as I went from owning a high zoot bike to just owning a steel commuter bike.

Since he was born I've changed jobs, each time reducing my commute to the point where it's almost zero right now. That is a huge factor. My wife works too, when my son was born we both had at least 2 hours of commuting each day, car or bike. (Traffic was so bad the car doesn't save any time.) My wife still has the awful commute, it's taking her a lot longer to come around to realizing how bad it is for the family & for her own health/fitness.

Some of my friends who have stayed in better shape then me have just had advantages we just aren't going to have. For example having parents who take care of their child every day. That saves huge amounts of time and money. The way our work schedules work out, I always have to go to the day care every day to either drop off or pick up my son. So the only way I can get bike time from commuting is if I attach the burley trailer to my bike and take my son. He loves that, but now that it is going to be dark and/or freezing cold for at least one direction on the ride it is hard to justify. I'm hoping things get a lot easier when he goes to Kindergarten (still > 2 years away) and rides the bus. I'd be able to see him off to school on the bus, and then hop on my bike to go to work.

What has mostly worked for me and also was my mainstay before I was married and before my son was born was just taking my bike in/on the car and riding at lunch. You need to find a way to make this work and have a job that's compatible with it AND work in an area where you can safely get in some good riding.

For weekend riding the big things for me have been sneaking rides in while my son naps. He won't be napping much longer but my wife will generally let me take off for 1-2 hours at least one day when he's napping on the weekend, in return I will generally hang out with him when he's awake so she can go running or shopping or whatever. For bigger rides what works is to have friends who have young kids and Dad also rides. So my wife can get together with her friend(s), the kids play, and the dads get to go play hooky and ride.

Another thing that has been big for me is trying to completely get off caffeine.. being time crunched hurts your sleep, so does caffeine. I've been using a sleep tracker & I can actually see the difference if I stay clean of caffeine and that helps my recovery a huge amount. It's a huge battle but I'm seeing big big improvements in multi-hour rides if I stay clean of caffeine. Warm up sucks but way less pain laster in the ride.

Lastly I'm trying to pay more attention to what I'm doing. I've always been bad about burying myself when I have extra time to ride and ending up overtrained. Do that and you end up grumpy & exhausted at work & home and that doesn't help anything. I'm trying to use every bit of data tracking I can to stop myself from doing this.. it's obvious consistency is more important than "going big" when the chance arises for me.

I think it really helps to not compare yourself to Peter Pan riders which have decided to live their life with no responsibility or dependents.. what works for them is never going to work for you. Nothing wrong with what they've decided to do but you went another path. On the bike "goals" can seem a lot more important when you've got nothing else going on. Find other riders who are in the same boat as you to ride with. The "A" ride is probably a little risky/dangerous for folks who have others counting on them anyway.

jzisk
10-20-2015, 09:29 AM
Commuting in warm months is a joyous gift-- just the good fortune of my job. But other times I've just pulled myself out of bed a half hour earlier and gotten on the trainer or the rollers... And when it's been an afternoon with too much snow but a little time to spare, same thing on the trainer/rollers. It becomes an awful chore if you force yourself. The thing about a good trainer is you can get a huge, constant power output, or do drastic intervals, or just relax and listen to music. There are many programs out there, and Lemond was famous for using a trainer to some success. Short, hard rides are better than nothing or a burnout.

rzthomas
10-20-2015, 09:41 AM
I have an 1:45 one-way commute that is somewhat mitigated by the fact I only do it twice a week (but I spend two nights away from my wife an 10 month old daughter). It is horrible. I hate it.

I take tiny consolation in that I can get some decent rides in on my nights away. Ain't worth it, to be frank.

On the mornings I drive down to work, I get on the rowing machine and burn 400 calories (usually 8 500m efforts at 1:45 pace) in a 35 minute workout to set the tone for the day. Then I go out and ride at night.

Can't wait until I find a new job.

Ti Designs
10-20-2015, 11:21 AM
BUT I'm not sure the priority ought to be riding a bicycle instead of the family.

They may be as important, but as soon as you put them above, you're never going to be happy."

Clearly not what I said...

Most of the divorced people I know felt like there were stuck in a life that lacked what they really wanted to do. The best families are the ones where they make all three work.

As for a cycling life full of intervals, or "The Time Crunched Athlete", I think a better solution would be to first set realistic goals based on time allowed and natural ability.

weisan
10-20-2015, 11:35 AM
Let's not pit one thing against another.

You know the vibe is going sideways when the original poster dare not come back into the pool to swim again.

I think all of us who live in the real world understand the weight of our constraints.
Some of us cope with these constraints better than others. That's where we can help each other.

I am interested in hearing what advice Joachim and Ti pals have for us. I know they "get" it.

classtimesailer
10-20-2015, 12:00 PM
You need to move or get a new job. If you don't, then soon you will be back to the B rides or getting dropped on the A rides. I suggest: Ride with your kid. Take her (and the wife) to CX races. My daughter loved the colorful kits and when my kids started racing CX with me, training time opened up. Then....high school started and weekends were eaten by running meets. Roll with it dude.

raygunner
10-20-2015, 12:22 PM
Each fall I talk to my clients about their goals for the next season, some of them will get there, most will find that life gets in the way. What is more important that trying to reach your goals? If you say work or family, you've already lost.

I'll keep it short and sweet.

Family, religion, friendship.

These are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed in cycling.

oldpotatoe
10-20-2015, 12:37 PM

Don't forget sex...

laupsi
10-20-2015, 12:55 PM

I think each individual has his/her own set of demons to consider.

fuzzalow
10-20-2015, 01:06 PM
There are lots of ways to succeed in cycling that are in no way related to watts/kg. Granted and understood that this is a thread about training which also does not mean just racing.

There's nuthin' wrong with wanting to get better - but just like anything else in life: What's it worth to you and what are you willing to pay to get it? Man, there is not much sweeter than having great form, sunlight glistening off the skin on the nice, cut slab of quadriceps right above the knees as the legs spin a leisurely cruise at 22mph. Nuthin' to it. Oh, to be alive!

As much as I like that, I don't wanna chase that anymore. I really think I've got better things to do and my time is more constrained these days. Having the form like I mentioned above was magical, in part because it was achieved under a different time and condition of life, career and family. There was a natural equilibrium found then that allowed more time to ride without feeling like I had to press blood from a stone to make that time available for riding. And in that balance was found the joy because it also allowed me to build good form. Because with that care-free ability to ride made that form come as if almost for free. I enjoyed it when I had it but I knew to get it back again it would not come free.

I don't care how fast I am and I doubt it was ever that important. I got lotsa other priorities in life that cycling need not be the outlet for. Life is good. Don't care that I'm slow. I have good form and souplesse on the bike that reveals to other experienced riders that I know what I'm doin'. If you're racing you gotta train because otherwise there's no point in racing. But for anything else, well, what's it worth to you?

azrider
10-20-2015, 03:47 PM
Most of the divorced people I know felt like there were stuck in a life that lacked what they really wanted to do. The best families are the ones where they make all three work.

+1

My wife was very aware of how much cycling meant to me before we were married, and she has continued to support my passion post wedding, and post baby.

She has stated multiple times that I'm a completely different person when I ride, compared to when I don't ride and she prefers the me who rides.

With a 14 month old, and daycare, work, work travel, house work and being a good husband..........the time to ride has become extremely hard to find. But necessity is the mother of invention. I too used to be one of those that wouldn't even suit up if I didn't have at least 90 mins to ride, but now I ride whenever I can and for however long.

rzthomas
10-20-2015, 04:30 PM
+1

My wife was very aware of how much cycling meant to me before we were married, and she has continued to support my passion post wedding, and post baby.

She has stated multiple times that I'm a completely different person when I ride, compared to when I don't ride and she prefers the me who rides.

With a 14 month old, and daycare, work, work travel, house work and being a good husband..........the time to ride has become extremely hard to find. But necessity is the mother of invention. I too used to be one of those that wouldn't even suit up if I didn't have at least 90 mins to ride, but now I ride whenever I can and for however long.

Are you my twin?

There is something wonderful about 30 minutes of riding, as hard as you can go, and coming back depleted and trashed, with plenty of time left in the day to do other things.

txcid05
10-20-2015, 05:44 PM
I hear your frustration here big time! I live out in the country and try and bike commute to work (7 miles each way) as often as possible. I generally do lots of intervals and they have helped for significantly for competitive events. Issue now is low light...so needless to say, no commuting. Farm roads are damn treacherous (i.e. no shoulders, lots of 18 wheelers, etc.)

I have been using The Sufferfest on rollers for the last 2 years and have been very happy with the results. Lots of intervals, endurance work, and race simulations. I would certainly recommend giving it a go, and they also have some great training plans available if you want more structure.

txcid05
10-20-2015, 05:49 PM

And freakin' work......wish I could ditch work and go riding when the heck I wanted!

carpediemracing
10-20-2015, 07:05 PM
My commute used to be about 70-90 minutes each way, each day (and I started working at home as soon as I woke up, and stayed logged in at home until midnight or 6 days a week). I recorded, on my helmet cam, me doing 3rd level support while doing my sprint loop late one weeknight, 11 PM or something. You do what you have to do.

I did have a nice car that I enjoyed driving. I looked forward to the drive home every day.

I suppose I could be a better racer. I see glimmers of better form. But it's not worth it for me in either mental or physical energy. I JRA (except that one experiment/study), I do what I like, and I race less selective courses. I even limit travel time - 3 hours each way to NJ won't do any more.

If I race well I'm pleased. If not I understand that it's a balance thing, and the scale has tilted in a different direction. It's all good, even if I get shelled 2 laps into a 30 lap race (and, as a long time racer, once I get shelled I basically stop, I don't chase). We pack up and go do something else.

OtayBW
10-20-2015, 07:08 PM
OP: Welcome to my world...
Now that it's dark early, the possibility of sneaking in even one decent weekday ride is gone, and it's up to long rides on the weekends. I can do that as I am (now) single, but it would be tough with a family. Like most everyone here said, make the most of the miles. It ain't the miles, it's what you put in to 'em. I reckon I can keep the wolves at bay till Spring....

old fat man
10-20-2015, 07:27 PM
Based on what you wrote, the commute is the biggest "waste" of your time. Even though you love your job, if moving closer to your job is not an option (you said your family loves where you live), I'd strongly suggest finding a job that cuts down that commute, or push hard to get a few days a week from home (don't know what you do, so don't knwo if that's even possible).

I work from home, probably put in more hours as a result, but I also can more easily get in 2 hours before the household wakes up (5:30 - 7:30) or block off time in the middle of my day to ride for 90-120 minutes.

Another idea - a friend of mine keeps a trainer and a bike at his office. Spends his lunch hour riding in the delivery bay. Successful cat 2 with less than 10 hours a week for the last 4 or 5 years.

Also, TiDesigns' advice sounds like excellent material for a divorce and hefty child support payments.

Seramount
10-20-2015, 08:05 PM
commuting 3 HOURS per day...?

no effin way.

I can barely tolerate my 12-mile / 30-min round trip drive to the office.

Dead Man
10-20-2015, 08:09 PM
One thing I've done in the past - bike/car hybrid commute. Drive in to a reasonable bike-commuting distance, whatever that happens to be for you, and ride the rest of the way in.

Man I sure missed out today... pretty much all day long since 10am I've been looking at the clock and saying 15 minutes, I'll get out for a mid-day ride in 15 minutes! Yet... it's 6:07pm, the sun is basically gone, and I'm still at my desk. Seems like this happens too often.

Guess it's time to dig out my bike lights and reflective crap. :rolleyes:

rugbysecondrow
10-20-2015, 08:12 PM
So, this might sound unpopular, but maybe you need to change your fitness programming, even if that means cutting back, or cutting out, cycling.

Can you run? Is there a fitness center near your work which would facilitate day time workouts?

I hit a point where I didn't want to take time away from the family for 1.5-3 hour rides, so changed my routine and now I ride shorter spurts but only for pleasure and errands

Get a nice concept 2 rower and you will get a killer work out, and likely one more well rounded than cycling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joosttx
10-21-2015, 12:42 AM
i would try and get more sleep. See what happens.

Tandem Rider
10-21-2015, 05:45 AM
This is going to come off a little preachy, I apologize in advance, but it's my take on your situation. As a parent, we take on one of the world's most important jobs, and until the kid(s) are truly independent, there will always be time being invested. The amount of time required to do that job is always shifting. We as parents are morally obligated to do whatever is necessary to help that child develop into a good human being.

In my case, there was no racing, there was barely any riding, and most of that included pulling a trailer with 1 or 2 kids in it, stops for parks and ice cream. The only way that I ever hit 5 hours per week was if you included the time spent at the park and wiping up ice cream grins. Family vacations. Dinner every night together as a family.

I can now go Mtn Biking or do a gravel ride with my oldest, and it'll be a hard ride for both of us.

I understand it's difficult to walk away from fitness, but if you stay active, you can be fit again when the kid(s) don't take up so much time.

The fire doesn't go out.

rzthomas
10-21-2015, 09:05 AM
If you keep your diet in control and limit the bread and beer, you can stay fit on probably 2-3 hours of focused riding a week.

Let's look at anecdotes: I know lots of people who are very trim (guys that can wear a small or medium t-shirt without being embarrassed) and the extent of their exercise is a couple light jogs a week or some bike commuting totaling about 2 hours. They aren't in race-shape, but race-shape and being healthy are kinda two different things (and sometimes exclusive of each other).

I think as passionate cyclists, we get wrapped up in mileage and hour counts and trying to be as fit as possible or whatever our goals are. In many ways, the ultimate goal is to keep the weight off so that when you do find the time and interest to ride, you aren't trying to work off excess weight.

raygunner
10-21-2015, 01:29 PM
If you keep your diet in control and limit the bread and beer, you can stay fit on probably 2-3 hours of focused riding a week.

Let's look at anecdotes: I know lots of people who are very trim (guys that can wear a small or medium t-shirt without being embarrassed) and the extent of their exercise is a couple light jogs a week or some bike commuting totaling about 2 hours. They aren't in race-shape, but race-shape and being healthy are kinda two different things (and sometimes exclusive of each other).

I think as passionate cyclists, we get wrapped up in mileage and hour counts and trying to be as fit as possible or whatever our goals are. In many ways, the ultimate goal is to keep the weight off so that when you do find the time and interest to ride, you aren't trying to work off excess weight.

So eat bacon & don't jog?

rzthomas
10-21-2015, 01:32 PM
Basically.

andyschen
10-23-2015, 10:57 PM
if your work schedule permits or have some flexibility maybe try going out on a bike ride during your lunch hour. seek out fellow cyclist at work and go out as a group for a quick bike ride....works out even better if your work place has an onsite gym or shower which you can use afterwards.
i am very bless to have a small group of friends which I go out on a lunch ride with 2-3 times per week. the ride is typically 16-20 miles with about 1700-2000 ft of climb...the total moving time door-to-door is usually about 1:15.
with 2 kids (2 & 4) this is basically the only time i get to go out and ride....is short but better than no ride at all.

Wayne77
10-25-2015, 11:12 AM
The best thing, bar none, that worked for me this year was the crazy early morning ride. It was all about being with a group of like-minded peers to get up before the crack of dawn to motivate me and ride with. No way could I motivate myself to do that if it was just me. In my case it was my friends on the team I race with for Zanconato. I was never an early morning person before my renewed focus on racing this year. We started out in Feb with team power-based training on Computrainers, with a coach. That was every T,TH,Sat at 5:30AM. I wasn't close to enthusiastic about it when we decided to do it. A couple of the guys dragged my sorry butt out of bed (figuratively speaking), and eventually got me to join them. But after a few times being there so early, seeing these guys I respected and trusted, suffering together, etc, I grew to love it. It really put me on cloud 9 for the rest of the day.

That set us up for early morning group training the rest of the season. These zero-dark thirty rides were the only way I was able to get the miles in, hold down a 40-50 hr a week job, and most importantly still be home with my family weekday evenings and especially Saturdays for family time. My wife and family really appreciated that and I think they became more excited about Dad's racing and supportive because of it. Next year, I'm hoping to get my wife back on her bike and training with us. Then we'll REALLY have to get creative with the family schedule!

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xaf1/t51.2885-15/e15/11427406_1663244283895065_1295377711_n.jpg

Miller76
10-25-2015, 05:17 PM
Thanks for all the feedback, I really appreciate it. Just to clarify a few points, my commute is 90 minutes each way, a combination of car and train, no cycling. I also make plenty of time for my wife and daughter, weekend rides are local and early in the morning. I don't race and don't travel great distances to go riding. Virtually all of my rides are from the house on the bike. There has been some great advice, and I'll be adding some interval training sessions on the trainer during the evenings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Joxster
10-26-2015, 05:19 AM
I was in a similar scenario as Miller76 a few years back but without the long commute, and after reading some cycling results in the paper I decided to 'make a comeback' I had a desk job and had got a bit heavier than my racing weight, so had to fit everything in around family and work life. I set out my targets and they were to ride and medal at the national championships, and to continue for as long as I could medal each year or if I had a bad crash then I would retire from the sport. I would get up at 3:30am and do 2:30 on the road doing level 2 & 3 rides, shower and get the kids ready to drop off at nursery on the way to work. I would be in the office for 8am most days and get home for 6pm collecting the kids on the way back. I addressed my diet to lose weight with a bowel of porridge with honey for breakfast and coffee. Lunch was a bowel of green salad with tinned fish, dinner was a normal meal with the family. Once the kids were in bed, most nights that was 8pm I would do an hour on the turbo doing intervals. This routine was for during the week and on the weekend I would get a long 6-8hr ride leaving at 4am and have one day off for a family day. When I started I was 240lbs and after six weeks I got down to 154lbs, and two weeks later I got a bronze in the National Omnium championships.

weisan
10-26-2015, 05:25 AM
I would get up at 3:30am ...When I started I was 240lbs and after six weeks I got down to 154lbs, and two weeks later I got a bronze in the National Omnium championships.

Jox-pal, respect only.

No pain no gain.

https://flavorwire.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/rocky-1976-02-g.jpg

AngryScientist
10-26-2015, 05:25 AM
I was in a similar scenario as Miller76 a few years back but without the long commute, and after reading some cycling results in the paper I decided to 'make a comeback' I had a desk job and had got a bit heavier than my racing weight, so had to fit everything in around family and work life. I set out my targets and they were to ride and medal at the national championships, and to continue for as long as I could medal each year or if I had a bad crash then I would retire from the sport. I would get up at 3:30am and do 2:30 on the road doing level 2 & 3 rides, shower and get the kids ready to drop off at nursery on the way to work. I would be in the office for 8am most days and get home for 6pm collecting the kids on the way back. I addressed my diet to lose weight with a bowel of porridge with honey for breakfast and coffee. Lunch was a bowel of green salad with tinned fish, dinner was a normal meal with the family. Once the kids were in bed, most nights that was 8pm I would do an hour on the turbo doing intervals. This routine was for during the week and on the weekend I would get a long 6-8hr ride leaving at 4am and have one day off for a family day. When I started I was 240lbs and after six weeks I got down to 154lbs, and two weeks later I got a bronze in the National Omnium championships.

you can't argue with results like that. very nice work Jox. bravo!

ik2280
10-26-2015, 05:36 AM
86 lbs in 6 weeks?

Joxster
10-26-2015, 06:16 AM
86 lbs in 6 weeks?

Yup, I cut out all rubbish - No booze, chips, chocolate or sugary drinks.

Wayne77
10-26-2015, 06:59 AM
That's an incredible story. Thanks for sharing!

Avincent52
10-26-2015, 07:05 AM
86 lbs in 6 weeks?

ymmv.

ik2280
10-26-2015, 07:48 AM
Yup, I cut out all rubbish - No booze, chips, chocolate or sugary drinks.

Impressive! Kudos.

54ny77
10-26-2015, 08:01 AM
wow.

that is serious dedication.

bravo!

dancinkozmo
10-26-2015, 08:39 AM

there was a study released today that claims for every 50g of bacon eaten per day the chance of developing colorectal cancer goes up 18%

christian
10-26-2015, 08:55 AM
there was a study released today that claims for every 50g of bacon eaten per day the chance of developing colorectal cancer goes up 18%That's it? Starting tomorrow, I'm infusing my bacon with tobacco.

dancinkozmo
10-26-2015, 01:10 PM
LOL...have some asbestos on the side with that :)