PDA

View Full Version : Heads up about the Dinotte Quad RED tail light

SlackMan
10-19-2015, 08:56 PM
I notified Dinotte about this issue over two months ago, but their website still has incorrect information posted. Given the shorter days and more riding in the dark, I thought many might find it useful.

The Dinotte website (as of this writing) lists battery run times for the Quad Red as follows:

Steady:

4 hours at 100% power
8 hours at 50% power
16 hours at 25% power

Strobe:

36 hours Slow Pulse
12 hours Rapid Pulss (sic)
12 hours Strobe

When I received my Quad, the sheet that came inside the package lists the same times for the Steady above, but the 'flash modes' are given as:

16 hours Half-Intensity Rapid Pulse
8 hours Rapid Pulse
8 hours Strobe

I was shocked by the disconnect between the advertised times on the website and the times on the instruction sheet that came with the light. 36 hours is not even in the ballpark of 16 hours. And 12 hours is 50% longer than 8 hours. I wrote to Dinotte to ask for clarification. He said that the webpage must be pulling the data from the wrong source, and that run times for flash modes are about 6 hours for the brighter modes, and 12 hours for the faint mode. These figures are even worse than the ones on the instruction sheet.

I decided to keep the light because I had already sold my Dinotte 300R, but I was hugely disappointed in the run times. The Quad is indeed brighter and is lighter than the 300R, but I still thought potential buyers should know the true run times. Whereas I could safely do my weekly commuting with just a weekend charge if the website times were correct, I actually need to charge it much more frequently given the actual run times.

bluesea
10-21-2015, 03:15 PM
I was shocked by the disconnect between the advertised times on the website He said that the webpage must be pulling the data from the wrong source, and that run times for flash modes are about 6 hours for the brighter modes, and 12 hours for the faint mode. These figures are even worse than the ones on the instruction sheet.

That's a smart webpage, I'm glad there's no human culpability involved. Good on you for calling them out, for myself there is the expectation for exaggerated specifications.

54ny77
10-21-2015, 03:27 PM
i use full power strobe and get about 5-6 hours before it conks out. sometimes a little more, but not too much.

with micro usb it's so easy to pop the light out of it's click-type secure mount and recharge it using my computer or a plug/charger.

the thing is crazy bright. i had a pal drive up behind me (while en route to a pre-dawn group ride) the other morning and he said it was ridiculously bright from at least several blocks away. which is a good thing. worth every penny. i use it all the time now, weekend daylight rides included.

gasman
10-21-2015, 04:41 PM
I love mine. Cars give me plenty of room. I haven't had it die on my yet but I recharge it weekly as I don't to riding and have it fade out.This winter I'll have to watch it more closely.
Thanks for the heads up.

jmeloy
10-21-2015, 08:49 PM
Yep love mine and charge life works well for my ride pattern. Cars moe over very early