PDA

View Full Version : OK, I'll start it - weekend rides 10/17

merlinmurph
10-19-2015, 12:36 PM
No weekend rides, yet?

Gorgeous fall weekend here in New England. Saturday, I joined in the Essex County Dirt Randonnee, an event organized by the guys at cyclocrossworld.com (Beverly) where we started and ended the ride.

Wow, what a fantastic ride. We got 39 miles in, and I bet we spent at least 3/4 of the time on dirt, with a lot of singletrack. If you were on pavement, it was still a really nice road to be on. Really have to give credit to whoever pieced the ride together.

Following the prescribed route was, uhhh, tricky. The organizers sent out the gpx files, and the more savvy riders used a phone app to navigate. This involved a lot of stopping, looking at the app, taking off, and then turning around when you realized you made the wrong turn. I didn't know the area at all and didn't bother to find a phone app, so I hung onto a group that had few guys that navigated. Thanks for the help, guys.

Enjoy your ride,
Murph

MattTuck
10-19-2015, 12:52 PM
Perhaps my strava ride titles tell the story.

Saturday: 40 degrees, windy, rain, HAIL (!?!?) -- yeah, I decided to cut short a ride around Moose Mtn.

Sunday: 30's, wind, intermittant snow flurries... spending the next hour on zillow.

Haha, seriously... it was the toughest 50 miles of riding I've done in a long time. I guess I need to HTFU.

572cv
10-19-2015, 06:36 PM
Well Matt, my weather was just ahead of yours.... Started out Saturday and shortly, the sky turned a foreboding black. Hoped it wasn't moving in too quickly, but hope isn't the name of my weather app, its Dark Sky :eek:,, and true to form, the rain started shortly. Cold, driving bitter soaking rain. Which turned to stinging corn snow. I turned shortly, hi tailed it for my truck, and retreated to a bike on the trainer to finish up. Sunday I tried again, and was beaten back again, same scenario, except colder and more snow.

But today was good. It hit 43 with a nice brisk south east wind. Ride into the wind, cruise home on the out and back. Cool-ish, but it felt great.

redir
10-20-2015, 11:31 AM
My birthday. Beautiful day for a cross race too.

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/v/t1.0-9/12079589_10156057133340618_3555070789035244857_n.j pg?oh=f38d67d4295b2ebe94754ee94876fa31&oe=56CDDFAE

Johnnyg
10-20-2015, 12:01 PM
Rode Ted King's, King of The Road Challenge. 100K, cool and windy a great turnout and we raised over 100,0000 for the Krempels Center for brain injuries in Portsmouth, NH. Cannondale team bus, Mavic and Scram support vehicles. A great fall ride around southern New Hampshire.

Dead Man
10-20-2015, 12:04 PM
Rained all weekend.... Ride, I did not. Just not ready for it, man.

I'm not kitted for it, either.. need a bike-specific rain jacket. And pants. Actually... I really just need a big bubble I can ride inside of...

guido
10-20-2015, 12:07 PM
I rode 46 miles on Saturday.

Started in the chilly 40s then got up to a balmy 52. Still fighting to get the clothing right started out cold, ended up dripping... My xxxl Gabba jersey is arriving today, hopefully that will solve the matter...

Loop through acton, west concord, concord, bedford center, carlisle, westford, littleton, harvard and back to stow...

Nice to be out...

Bostic
10-20-2015, 12:34 PM
My wife and I rode our Cannondale Tandem both days. 35 miles, 1500' on Saturday and on Sunday we rode up the local long climb. Highway 9, 6.7 miles , 2100'. We haven't done that climb in months but we stuck to a slow pace and enjoyed the scenery. The descent is a blast on a tandem. We hit 47mph and it would have been really easy to push it past 50 but there was a large group ride for veterans coming up and a ton of traffic trying to get around so I played it safe. As much as I enjoy riding the single bike it just doesn't compare to the excitement on a tandem.

guido
10-20-2015, 12:38 PM
Murph,

Sounds like a great ride. Has the gps track for the route for this ride been posted publicly?

Thanks!

guido

Gorgeous fall weekend here in New England. Saturday, I joined in the Essex County Dirt Randonnee, an event organized by the guys at cyclocrossworld.com (Beverly) where we started and ended the ride.

Wow, what a fantastic ride. We got 39 miles in, and I bet we spent at least 3/4 of the time on dirt, with a lot of singletrack. If you were on pavement, it was still a really nice road to be on. Really have to give credit to whoever pieced the ride together.

Following the prescribed route was, uhhh, tricky. The organizers sent out the gpx files, and the more savvy riders used a phone app to navigate. This involved a lot of stopping, looking at the app, taking off, and then turning around when you realized you made the wrong turn. I didn't know the area at all and didn't bother to find a phone app, so I hung onto a group that had few guys that navigated. Thanks for the help, guys.

Enjoy your ride,
Murph

RudAwkning
10-20-2015, 02:32 PM
Rode my bike to Biketoberfest. Had some beer. Saw a used Retrotec hardtail going for an absurd price ($1700). Test rode it. Bought it. Wrenched on it. Took it up Tam the next day.

Instant Radification.

merlinmurph
10-20-2015, 02:59 PM
Sounds like a great ride. Has the gps track for the route for this ride been posted publicly? guido

Here's the link to the route:
http://www.plotaroute.com/route/123764

We got the gpx files in an email, but after looking, it looks like they are downloadable from the website.

jasonification
10-20-2015, 03:05 PM
Tried to change things up the past weekend. Best decision ever.

wpod
10-20-2015, 04:05 PM
Snuck out early for for a nice 40 km ride up to our local ski area around 10AM. Started with temps in the low-mid 50's, 7-12 mph winds and dark clouds to the west. Just as I returned home, those dark clouds opened up with rain for the rest of the afternoon. My timing was ideal and I enjoyed in a great ride :bike:

Tickdoc
10-20-2015, 04:54 PM
Rode my bike to Biketoberfest. Had some beer. Saw a used Retrotec hardtail going for an absurd price ($1700). Test rode it. Bought it. Wrenched on it. Took it up Tam the next day.

Instant Radification.

thas cool.

Cicli
10-20-2015, 05:02 PM
Rode the mountain bike both days. Both days at Palos outside of Chicago. Went like hell Saturday. It was dry and temps were in the upper 20's. Very fun 22 miles of singletrack. Took a new guy out there Sunday. My neighborhood tri-dork on a loaner bike. He complained alot about the roots. At mile 15 he was spent but had fun and wants to go again.