PDA

View Full Version : Watch a two wheeled vehicle evolve!

RFC
10-19-2015, 10:22 AM
I posted this in the evolutionary algorithm thread below, but thought it deserved broader distribution.

This model uses a genetic algorithm to evolve a two wheeled vehicle to move farther and farther down the track.

Fire it up and let it run. Mesmerizing!

http://rednuht.org/genetic_cars_2/

I use this at the beginning of my biotechnology law class just to get their attention.

MattTuck
10-19-2015, 10:33 AM
I've been watching this for a while (from your other post). Pretty cool! I studied evolution undergrad... such a fascinating topic.

Curious if they evolve toward a certain shape. They all seem to be getting stuck in the same ravine, after 25 generations.

RFC
10-19-2015, 10:45 AM
I've been watching this for a while (from your other post). Pretty cool! I studied evolution undergrad... such a fascinating topic.

Curious if they evolve toward a certain shape. They all seem to be getting stuck in the same ravine, after 25 generations.

Look at the control panel, among other things, you can adjust the mutation rate, which will give you more early failures, but also move toward a more evolved cycle.

MattTuck
10-19-2015, 11:10 AM
Look at the control panel, among other things, you can adjust the mutation rate, which will give you more early failures, but also move toward a more evolved cycle.

Yes, I was more thinking, will my best one resemble your best one? Here's a picture of it... interestingly, between generation 10 and 30, there were no new top scores... but finally in generation 31, I got a new top score.

I have kept the floor 'fixed', so I have no idea if it would be the same floor as you... obviously, that is a key selection pressure.

RFC
10-19-2015, 12:00 PM
Good point. I just use the standard track. Note that you can also change the gravity.

Just let it run for the day and see where it goes.