PDA

View Full Version : OT: 4 week update ( partial knee replacement )

SoCalSteve
10-18-2015, 10:51 PM
Hi all,

First off, I want to thank everyone again for their positivity, words of encouragement and well wishes before and while I've gone through this. Thank you all so much, you have no idea how much you all helped me. Seriously.

I went into this with no expectations. The doc said I'd be walking out of the hospital after surgery, the same day. What he didn't tell me was that it would be with a walker and I'd pretty much be on my back for the first 2 weeks icing, bending and straightening my knee and in lots of pain. I was blown away emotionally. First time in my life I was not in control of my world. Everything was difficult and painful and scary. Very scary.

Then came week 3. Pain was much less, I could move around, take short walks and truly hated my cane. I was ready to get my life back.

Start of week 4, met with the doc, said I was doing great, told me I could drive. Told me to get on my trainer, but go slow. Kept stressing patience. Be patient Steve, it's gonna take time and do your PT, strengthen your quad, keep at it.

Did 5 minutes on the trainer, then 8 the next day, then 10 x 2 times the next day and today I did 15 minutes 2 times. The second time today, it just came together. My knee was straight while pedaling and I felt the strength and control come back.

After the 8th minute, I shifted to a harder gear, my heart rate climbed to 130. I was sweating like crazy. I had a big smile on my face and I wept. Litterly broke down and cried like a baby. I knew it was gonna be ok. My wife thought I was crazy, but she isn't a cyclist. I know you guys won't think I'm crazy.

Again, thanks to every one of you. It meant the world to me.

Steve

weisan
10-18-2015, 10:54 PM
steve pal, you are my world champion!

Go ahead, wear the rainbow stripes proudly with your head held high. :hello:

rustychisel
10-18-2015, 11:34 PM
Well done Steve, keep on keeping on.

My partner had a full recon nearly 2 years ago.

The key, as you know, is doing the rehab, doing the exercises, then do it again.

Cheers

oldpotatoe
10-19-2015, 06:27 AM
Hi all,

First off, I want to thank everyone again for their positivity, words of encouragement and well wishes before and while I've gone through this. Thank you all so much, you have no idea how much you all helped me. Seriously.

I went into this with no expectations. The doc said I'd be walking out of the hospital after surgery, the same day. What he didn't tell me was that it would be with a walker and I'd pretty much be on my back for the first 2 weeks icing, bending and straightening my knee and in lots of pain. I was blown away emotionally. First time in my life I was not in control of my world. Everything was difficult and painful and scary. Very scary.

Then came week 3. Pain was much less, I could move around, take short walks and truly hated my cane. I was ready to get my life back.

Start of week 4, met with the doc, said I was doing great, told me I could drive. Told me to get on my trainer, but go slow. Kept stressing patience. Be patient Steve, it's gonna take time and do your PT, strengthen your quad, keep at it.

Did 5 minutes on the trainer, then 8 the next day, then 10 x 2 times the next day and today I did 15 minutes 2 times. The second time today, it just came together. My knee was straight while pedaling and I felt the strength and control come back.

After the 8th minute, I shifted to a harder gear, my heart rate climbed to 130. I was sweating like crazy. I had a big smile on my face and I wept. Litterly broke down and cried like a baby. I knew it was gonna be ok. My wife thought I was crazy, but she isn't a cyclist. I know you guys won't think I'm crazy.

Steve

Good for you...I'm also interested in you packing everything up like you mentioned and starting the 'next' journey in your life..how's that going?

AngryScientist
10-19-2015, 06:36 AM
Cool Steve, glad to hear it's all coming together!

When you're ready, I'll merge these threads all together. I think they can and will be a great resource for anyone to browse through who is considering undertaking the surgery and wanting to get a feel for what to expect over time.

keep us updated!

jr59
10-19-2015, 06:50 AM
I'm very glad for you. It won't be long now and you will be not even thinking about it!

:beer:

guido
10-19-2015, 06:59 AM
Excellent progress Steve! Keep up the good work!

mecse
10-19-2015, 07:06 AM

Steve

This feeling is familiar!

SoCalSteve
10-19-2015, 08:18 AM
Good for you...I'm also interested in you packing everything up like you mentioned and starting the 'next' journey in your life..how's that going?

Thank you!

The downsize-move-retirement ' next' phase of life is still happening. Just a bit slower than I anticipated as my mobility isn't 100% yet and I do tire easily. I am still healing.

That being said, we are looking for a place to lease close to the beach ( Marina Del Rey ) and am starting to get my house in order to sell. Paint, de-clutter, etc. make it presentable for marketing pictures and open houses. Not sure it will all happen by the end of the year.

A bit scary to change so much of my life, but I am excited all the same!

FlashUNC
10-19-2015, 08:21 AM
One day at a time man, one day at a time.

You'll look back in another couple weeks and be amazed. Just keep at it.

I lost it around week 3, mostly because I could shower again after a couple weeks of wash cloths and sponges. Weird the stuff you miss.

oldpotatoe
10-19-2015, 08:36 AM
Thank you!

The downsize-move-retirement ' next' phase of life is still happening. Just a bit slower than I anticipated as my mobility isn't 100% yet and I do tire easily. I am still healing.

That being said, we are looking for a place to lease close to the beach ( Marina Del Rey ) and am starting to get my house in order to sell. Paint, de-clutter, etc. make it presentable for marketing pictures and open houses. Not sure it will all happen by the end of the year.

A bit scary to change so much of my life, but I am excited all the same!

Yes, scary for sure. I left the USN in 1993, packed 2 kids, wife, 4 cats and bike stuff in a VW bus and drove to Colorado from SanDiego. It worked out fine as yours will cuz from these posts, you are a smart cookie. Good for you on both counts.

redir
10-19-2015, 08:40 AM
Sounds like you are progressing nicely. I'm sure it's a pretty scary thing to go through. Hell, just getting knocked out and going under the knife is daunting enough in my mind, never mind the after math.

palincss
10-19-2015, 09:08 AM
This feeling is familiar!

Familiar to me, too.

Keith A
10-19-2015, 10:05 AM

SteveSo happy to hear of your progress! Having had ACL reconstruction on one my knees, I can completely understand how if feels when things start to feel "normal" again. Keep up the good work.

wooly
10-19-2015, 10:14 AM
Yo Steve! So good to hear you're recovering. I'll be getting a knee replacement eventually. It's good to hear the success stories. Best of luck in your next adventure. Come further down the coast to Newport. Then we can ride! ;)

SoCalSteve
10-19-2015, 11:41 AM
Yo Steve! So good to hear you're recovering. I'll be getting a knee replacement eventually. It's good to hear the success stories. Best of luck in your next adventure. Come further down the coast to Newport. Then we can ride! ;)

Nah, gonna stay in the 310...and thank you!

If you have an questions regarding the surgery, hit me up. We can chat...:beer:

SoCalSteve
10-19-2015, 03:10 PM
Cool Steve, glad to hear it's all coming together!

When you're ready, I'll merge these threads all together. I think they can and will be a great resource for anyone to browse through who is considering undertaking the surgery and wanting to get a feel for what to expect over time.

keep us updated!

I love that idea! Anyway that I can give back...I have gotten so much from this Forum for many, many years now.

Thank you!!!

jmeloy
10-19-2015, 09:48 PM
Steve, your post put a huge smile on my face. Got leg issues of my own going on and it looks like no fix. That said, I still love my bikes and the time I get on them. Roll on pal.

bobswire
10-19-2015, 11:18 PM
Great news Steve,I like happy endings!:hello: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncQsBzI-JHc