PDA

View Full Version : O/T... Winter thermal jackets...

ultraman6970
10-18-2015, 06:59 PM
Ok guys, my 30 y/o mid 80's cycling jacket is in its last runs, amazingly the zipper after 30 years is still working fine, but all the cotton in the fabric is gone :)

So, whats moving around that you guys could recommend that is thermal... water resistant and for a reasonable price??? I saw a castelli something on sale but no way 200 bucks is like reasonable to me...

Thanks.

Tony T
10-18-2015, 07:44 PM
Check out: https://www.coloradocyclist.com/men-s-cycling-jackets
You can sort by price.
But, ~$200 is what a good jacket will cost.

Uncle Jam's Army
10-18-2015, 07:55 PM
The Gore Xenon jacket I'm selling in the Classifieds. ;) Seriously great jacket down to freezingly at least and below (depending on how hot your body runs). Pick one up elsewhere if mine isn't the right size.

Agree with Tony T that $200 minimum is what these things cost. If you're patient, you can get a great price well under $200 in the spring when retailers start blowing out their winter inventory. But that doesn't help you right now.

benb
10-18-2015, 08:00 PM
I got a new Louis Garneau one a couple years ago that I really love.. weird combinations of fabric that seemingly make it breath really well and yet still be strangely warm. I'm sure there are tons of others that are great but I really love mine!

Tickdoc
10-18-2015, 08:15 PM
But I like to ride in a wetsuit when it's really cold. You know once you get sweaty, it warms you right up, and you can ride down to freezing!

( ok, ok, just joking, I love my castelli due. About $180 and it has chest vent zips that let you cool down with out unzipping the whole front. It rides well down to about 35 degrees with a single layer underneath.)

http://g02.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1hAbTIXXXXXXAXVXXq6xXFXXXt/Neoprene-Dive-font-b-Wetsuit-b-font-font-b-Jackets-b-font-Pants-Long-John-5mm.jpg

Joachim
10-18-2015, 08:23 PM
Find a Castelli Zoncolan jacket on close out somewhere. Probably around 140. That with only a long sleeve base layer and you will be comfortable in 20-30 degrees. But UJA's jacket is brand new and cheaper.

ultraman6970
10-18-2015, 08:56 PM
THanks for the tips... the thing is this, found some stuff at lower prices but they look more like a wind stopper but no clue how they will perform in really cold weather...

Checked uncle's jacket and looks awesome but im at the limit between his and the next size... probably the XL will be too tight for my watermelon :) But no i know what to look for..

Tony T
10-19-2015, 07:33 AM
THanks for the tips... the thing is this, found some stuff at lower prices but they look more like a wind stopper but no clue how they will perform in really cold weather...

Castelli's web site (http://www.castelli-cycling.com/Products/Men/Tops/Jackets/c/Jackets-Tops-Men) will give a temp range for use. Other manufactures may do the same.
When you find a jacket you want, check for it on Amazon also.

Colorado Cyclists always has great prices when the inventory of an item runs low, but usually all that's left is size small.

MattTuck
10-19-2015, 08:05 AM
Why is this marked as Off Topic? Seems spot on to me :)

I came here expecting to discuss jackets like this:

http://www.yomister.com/image/data/0/warm-coat/Canada-Goose/Canada-Goose-Youth/Youth-Canada-Goose-Vernon-Parka/Canada-Goose-Expedition-Parka-Black-Youths-1030.jpg

veloduffer
10-19-2015, 08:26 AM
I highly recommend these two, as they don't feel bulky:

Capo Padrone Thermal jacket - feels like a jersey but the excellent windblock is like a jacket. Form fitting. I wear this when the weather is in the 40s.

Castelli Espresso Due - thinner than most jackets but again excellent windblock, high collar and lots of good venting (even wrists with zips).

I wear only a Craft baselayer - short sleeve (40 -50 deg) or long sleeve (below 40 deg) underneath. No need for two layers with a jersey.

They come in Black, Red and White colors. I liked them so much, I have two of each.

milkbaby
10-19-2015, 08:37 AM
I got an old model year high zoot Nalini winter jacket on eBay for around $100 when the original retail was around $400. Clearance and second hand stuff is the way to go to keep the cost down. But it's better to buy out of season to get the best deals.

LJohnny
10-19-2015, 09:10 AM
Ultra, I had a bunch of new winter jackets for sale a while ago. I believe I still have most of them. I went overboard a winter ago and purchased a lot of winter gear. The truth is that I found that the Fugujack and the 851AirJack along with an older Castelli Radiation cover pretty much the range I need.

Search for Zoncolan and you'll find the ad. If something may be of interest, shoot me a message.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ultraman6970
10-19-2015, 11:08 PM
Hey man... thanks a lot.. will check the posting :)

For example I found one at ebay, new for the right price, now the question is the size :) some say nalini runs small... that means go bigger in the X's and based in the size chart maybe they are right, but the dude posted the armpit to armpit and looks like I fit in that one :/...

Searching now...

kramnnim
10-19-2015, 11:53 PM
I highly recommend these two, as they don't feel bulky:

Capo Padrone Thermal jacket - feels like a jersey but the excellent windblock is like a jacket. Form fitting. I wear this when the weather is in the 40s.

Castelli Espresso Due - thinner than most jackets but again excellent windblock, high collar and lots of good venting (even wrists with zips).

I also have these two models, and like them quite a lot. I need more than a base layer underneath, though.

rwsaunders
10-19-2015, 11:54 PM
UM...What is your definition of Winter conditions and I ask because for me, cold and dry calls for a different type of jacket as compared to cold and wet? Also, what is the Winter temperature range in your region?

ultraman6970
10-20-2015, 12:08 AM
I'm in DC metro area, for example last sunday with the wind it felt like 30s or 40s... maybe less, the other thing is that age is catching up and I have to be honest... I can't stand cold as 10 years ago.

I don't go out with snow or rain... mainly if sunny no matter if cold or windy, I might try to go out.

Just for you to have an idea... back in the day we used something like this.... and after 35 years, this stuff doesnt cut it anymore :D The pants died like 15 years ago... still have the jacket, similar material like an acrylic wool...

https://img1.etsystatic.com/060/0/9683062/il_570xN.724513823_gd47.jpg

rwsaunders
10-20-2015, 12:24 AM
If no rain, I'd go for a used Assos 851 which you can find for $100-150. They're race cut though so depending on your physique, they could be unflattering. Temperature range mid 30's to high 40's for me depending upon the base layer of course.

My go to for the past two Winters has been a Rapha Pro Team jacket. Not as form fitting as the 851, but I find it to serve the same temperature range with a little water resistance thrown in for good measure. It's super lightweight too which had me concerned when I first purchased it. Pricey when new without a sale, but I've seen used pieces sell in the $150 range.

DHallerman
10-20-2015, 07:05 AM
I find it hard to believe that so many of the thermal jackets, such as on the Colorado Cyclist page, are black or dark grey.

Really folks, I love black clothing, but isn't cycling where function beats out form?

That is, on winter days, when the light is low and the skies can be grey, I want a bright popping color rarely found in nature, such as this baby below.

Dave, who adds that some of the jackets with hoods are well complemented with a helmet one size up from normal so that it doesn't get too tight on the head

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24440195/pearl-izumi-elite-barrier-convertable-jacket.jpg

ultraman6970
10-20-2015, 07:19 AM
I think like you.. the more visible the better.

Mark McM
10-20-2015, 09:36 AM
Castelli's web site (http://www.castelli-cycling.com/Products/Men/Tops/Jackets/c/Jackets-Tops-Men) will give a temp range for use.

The coldest temperature rating for Castelli jackets is only 0 deg. C (32 deg. F)? Don't the Castelli people ever ride in cold weather?

DHallerman
10-20-2015, 09:41 AM
The coldest temperature rating for Castelli jackets is only 0 deg. C (32 deg. F)? Don't the Castelli people ever ride in cold weather?

Ah, but what amount of layering might you have underneath the jacket?

I mean, we've all started rides with temps in the high-20s, and by the end the temps were kissing 40 degrees or even higher temps.

Dave, who says his desire for layering is one reason he hardly uses a super-warm jacket but instead in cold weather rides with up to four or five layers on his torso

jr59
10-20-2015, 09:52 AM
Ah, but what amount of layering might you have underneath the jacket?

I mean, we've all started rides with temps in the high-20s, and by the end the temps were kissing 40 degrees or even higher temps.

Dave, who says his desire for layering is one reason he hardly uses a super-warm jacket but instead in cold weather rides with up to four or five layers on his torso

Speak for yourself!!! Anything under 40 and I'm not going!

Of course when I went to Denver, in Feb for the hand made show. It was in the single #s and I was over dressed most days!

acorn_user
10-20-2015, 06:50 PM
I'm in central VA. I use a Gore windstopper jacket that I bought from Performance for around $100. It's pretty good with a wool l/s base layer down to the low 40s and beyond. If it's really cold (below freezing), I wear a l/s jersey over it. I did a 60 mile ride in freezing conditions like this and my core was fine even though my legs were feeling the cold....

OtayBW
10-20-2015, 06:53 PM
Gore Xenon jacket. Great bang for the buck and comfortable to well into the low 20's.

ultraman6970
10-20-2015, 08:27 PM
Good recommendations, thanks :)

Hank Scorpio
10-20-2015, 08:37 PM
Classic cycling has the Giordana Fusion jacket on sale for $140 ish. I bought two to check sizing and am sending one back. They have fluro yellow and fluro green too.

http://www.classiccycling.com/giordana-sale-tops-c-610_513_1044_1045/giordana-fusion-thermal-cycling-jacket-fluorescent-yellow-p-4154.html

veloduffer
10-21-2015, 11:17 AM

It isn't a jacket for layering, due to the form fit/cut. I just use a slightly heavier base layer when it gets below freezing. Note, my core warms up quickly, its the feet and hands that eventually get cold.

The great thing about the Capo and Castelli jackets, there's not feeling of bulkiness. I hate using layers and feeling like the Michelin man.

veloduffer
10-21-2015, 11:19 AM
I find it hard to believe that so many of the thermal jackets, such as on the Colorado Cyclist page, are black or dark grey.

Really folks, I love black clothing, but isn't cycling where function beats out form?

That is, on winter days, when the light is low and the skies can be grey, I want a bright popping color rarely found in nature, such as this baby below.

+1 or they have a black color only on the back of the jacket. I'm far more worried about getting hit from behind.

shovelhd
10-21-2015, 11:36 AM
Nalini runs very small on me. 1-2 sizes too small, and I'm not big.

berserk87
10-21-2015, 12:25 PM

I wonder about that kind of thing as well. Maybe they are afraid that they will be held liable based on a lower recommended temp range if someone riding with their gear gets frostbite?

dawgie
10-21-2015, 01:50 PM
I've had excellent service from my Gore Phantom jacket. The sleeves are detachable, so you can remove them if it warms up a lot during a ride. The zippers for the sleeves also function as pit zips, which improves ventilation. It is available in several colors, including yellow, neon, red and blue.

I also have a Showers Pass Elite rain jacket that functions great as a winter jacket as well. It mainly serves as a very effective wind or water barrier, but has excellent ventilation, which is critical for winter jackets. It has plenty of room to layer jerseys and base layers underneath it.

I have worn both jackets comfortably in temperatures down to the mid-teens, with appropriate layers underneath them. Both are highly effective at blocking wind yet well ventilated. I commute year-round, so I use my jackets a lot during winter.

I too do not understand why so many winter jackets are black and why cyclists buy them. Low light and visibility are a big problem in winter, so I want my jackets to stand out. When I see ninja cyclists wearing all black, I think that they must have a death wish.

CPP
10-21-2015, 02:34 PM
When I see ninja cyclists wearing all black, I think that they must have a death wish.

The thrill of style overcomes the fear of death

acorn_user
10-21-2015, 07:43 PM
Maybe the black kits are a 2007 protour homage?

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2007/jun/22/cycling.tourdefrance

OtayBW
10-21-2015, 08:31 PM
I've had excellent service from my Gore Phantom jacket. The sleeves are detachable, so you can remove them if it warms up a lot during a ride. The zippers for the sleeves also function as pit zips, which improves ventilation.You must be one tough dude. Even with appropriate layering, my Gore Phantom would stay in the closet in favor of a heavier jacket with added thermal protection for temp approaching 32°F or lower.

93legendti
10-21-2015, 08:42 PM
Last couple of years I used a North Face Softshell jacket which breaths and is not snug, so I can layer as necessary. It is not a cycling specific jacket. I got it on a pro deal - I think the retail was already $120. Grey and red, so it's more visible than "winter cycling black".