PDA

View Full Version : OT. Sort of on an ebay issue

Cicli
10-18-2015, 06:21 PM
I bought a part from a new ebayer. Zero feedback but registered in San Diago and he answered questions quickly. I made a sort of lowball offer (75%) on a set of handlebars. An hour before the offer expired he accepted. Ok, maybe he is new and was hoping for more. No big deal. I paid in minutes with Paypal. Three days go by, I get a shipping notice and tracking number from ebay. He shipped UPS. Four daus later and the tracking shows its not even in UPS possession. Fleabay had a delivery estimate of Wednesday. I feel I am in the middle of getting hosed or at least an attempt at hosing. The seller hasnet responded to requests to update the tracking. Am I correct that if the tracking never updates and the item never shows I will get a refund under the buyer protection? Hopefully or I am out. TIA.

tctyres
10-18-2015, 06:27 PM
You should open a case and contact the seller. This starts the clock ticking for ebay to issue a refund if you can't work it out.

ultraman6970
10-18-2015, 06:33 PM
Maybe the guy is out of town? either way is pretty dumb for a person wanting to scam with zero feedback... ebay or paypal should refund you if nothing happens... is in their policy.

Good luck with this one.

Cicli
10-18-2015, 06:35 PM
Maybe the guy is out of town? either way is pretty dumb for a person wanting to scam with zero feedback... ebay or paypal should refund you if nothing happens... is in their policy.

Good luck with this one.

Yeah, I wont make an ussue for a bit longer. The bogus tracking number is a bit weird.

Pegoready
10-18-2015, 06:36 PM
Am I correct that if the tracking never updates and the item never shows I will get a refund under the buyer protection? Hopefully or I am out. TIA.

Nope, the tracking actually needs to show as delivered to your address or you are covered under buyer protection. You are protected. I'd open up a case when eBay allows you to (they make you wait X amount of days after the transaction). My gut says this guy is new and inexperienced and will get you your item after some delay though.

Cicli
10-18-2015, 06:38 PM
Nope, the tracking actually needs to show as delivered to your address or you are covered under buyer protection. You are protected. I'd open up a case when eBay allows you to (they make you wait X amount of days after the transaction). My gut says this guy is new and inexperienced and will get you your item after some delay though.

Paceline transactions set the bar too high. :beer:

93legendti
10-18-2015, 06:48 PM
If you paid with Paypal and don't get the item, you are protected. When I have been in similar situations, I called eBay and they were extremely helpful.

Joachim
10-18-2015, 06:50 PM
He generated an ups label and hasn't dropped it off yet. EBay assumed immediate shipping when he created the label that's why their delivery estimate is off.

jzisk
10-18-2015, 07:15 PM
If you paid with Paypal and don't get the item, you are protected. When I have been in similar situations, I called eBay and they were extremely helpful.

+1... You are 100% protected from a non-delivery. Call eBay or PayPal.

R3awak3n
10-18-2015, 07:36 PM
This has happened to me before. I would wait a little bit/have a bit more patience. If after a week it has not updates then I would open a dispute (assuming he has not replied any of your inquiries)

At the end of the day you are protected. If you dont get the bars you will get the money. You wont be getting hosed on this

10-18-2015, 10:10 PM
Joachim nailed it. He used eBay to pay for shipping and generate a label. Then it sat on his kitchen table for three days. Newbies tend not to understand how anal everyone is about shipping promptness on eBay, nor about communication. I also think that eBay has basically saturated its market so well that the only new people who join are the fringe cases who one really wants to do business with because they frequently have good items, but they are also more unreliable on average.

There's no reason not to initiate a case if you really gave him enough time for it to ship, counting a day or two delay to begin with. I've been harassed by buyers who file claims before eBay even says an item should have arrived, and you don't really want to be in that category, but there's no reason to wait. This may be the only eBay transaction this guy ever does, and perhaps the only one he should ever do. Get his personal email and phone number from eBay and email and text him there. He may not have a personal computer to check his eBay messages on, or may simply not go online all that often. Some people are still like that. A text message and a regular email may help get through to him.

unterhausen
10-19-2015, 01:04 AM
I had some guy forget to ship once. Had to open a dispute just to wake him up. Nowadays they rate you on how fast you get to the post office, I don't think printing a label is good enough, but I don't know. They don't let you rate for some things any more, it's based on what the computer tells them

Avincent52
10-20-2015, 06:51 PM
I had the same thing happen to a friend.

He bought a very expensive guitar on ebay through a very low Buy It Now.

He cheaped out on the shipping and had exactly the same issue.
He paid the guy a high four-figure sum on Friday morning, and all weekend had a tracking number that wasnt' moving.

Turned out the guy dropped it off at a shipping place on Friday afternoon. Just missed the pickup. So it sat there. No pickup on Saturday or Sunday.
Next pickup was midafternoon in California which was Monday evening East Coast time.

My friend was freaking out.

The good news? He got an astonishing guitar--a 1937 Martin D-18 for about 30 percent of its value then. It was even better than advertised condition-wise and has appreciated handsomely in the years since.

Now it's worth about seven times what he paid.

R3awak3n
10-20-2015, 07:57 PM
I mean I am all for fast shipping but if I buy something on Friday I don't expect it to start moving till Monday

Cicli
10-24-2015, 05:54 AM
Well, they showed up not as described. It took 10'days to get the wrong item. Edit: they are not the wrong item but the seller used photos from Ritchey and send the older version of the item. They are still new just not the same. Maybe not that big of a deal but more of an annoyance. End edit. Awesome. The seller still wont communicate with me. I hate fleabay.

Anyone that reads this, thanks for being a valuable member here on Paceline. A nice corner of the internet. The rest sucks for the most part. Even Strava.

Edited description of "wrong item"

kramnnim
10-24-2015, 06:02 AM
File a SNAD, hopefully eBay will pay for your return shipping...

oldpotatoe
10-24-2015, 06:41 AM
Well, they showed up not as described. It took 10'days to get the wrong item. Edit: they are not the wrong item but the seller used photos from Ritchey and send the older version of the item. They are still new just not the same. Maybe not that big of a deal but more of an annoyance. End edit. Awesome. The seller still wont communicate with me. I hate fleabay.

Anyone that reads this, thanks for being a valuable member here on Paceline. A nice corner of the internet. The rest sucks for the most part. Even Strava.

Not ebay, IMHO..but a crappy seller of ebay.

ultraman6970
10-24-2015, 08:10 AM
The problem is the seller, not ebay... ebay has done nothing to you, YET :D

Always ask, always... a lot of seller post pictures that are stock and you have to ask if its like in the picture or not sometimes, specially if are NOS items...

Good luck with this one, if you got a good deal I would not sweat it about it because there is a big chance the seller get pissed and you will be in that roller coaster for like an extra month... return.. pay for the return and wait till he gives you the money back... you got the bad luck to deal with an a-h seller and that sure sucks :(

Cicli
10-24-2015, 08:34 AM
The problem is the seller, not ebay... ebay has done nothing to you, YET :D

Always ask, always... a lot of seller post pictures that are stock and you have to ask if its like in the picture or not sometimes, specially if are NOS items...

Good luck with this one, if you got a good deal I would not sweat it about it because there is a big chance the seller get pissed and you will be in that roller coaster for like an extra month... return.. pay for the return and wait till he gives you the money back... you got the bad luck to deal with an a-h seller and that sure sucks :(

Yeah, He is still on zero feedback so........... I will wait to see what if anything he says. What I got was new just not what I expected. Looking at the lable on the box it may have been drop shipped. This would explain the delay and the inaccurate description.
I may just write it off and move on.

Shoeman
10-24-2015, 09:38 AM
Just File a Not as Described claim with Ebay they'll take it from there.

paredown
10-24-2015, 02:02 PM

I don't exactly hate eBay, but I dislike the lack of precision on the part of a lot of sellers.

That said, I got a couple of '4's lately on 'Item as Described'--and I did try to describe exactly what I was selling, warts and all, backed up by good pictures.

My working theory is that the sellers who can't manage a good description, also don't read very well when they buy.:crap:

tbike4
10-24-2015, 02:44 PM
Just File a Not as Described claim with Ebay they'll take it from there.

Yes they will. I bought a frame recently. One of the best packing jobs I have ever seen. It had a very small ding in the top tube that was not shown or pointed out in the sale description. The seller said no way was it there when he shipped it. Apparently the seller could not get his money until it was resolved.