PDA

View Full Version : Winter is around the corner-best cold weather mitts/glove?

93legendti
10-18-2015, 06:19 AM
Frost warnings last night...
I lost one of my Ibex winter mitts and they aren't made anymore. They had covered my winter needs for over 10 years.

So what is out there? And when I say winter, I mean 20 degrees or lower..

Thanks in advance.

guido
10-18-2015, 06:30 AM
I've been happy with Perl Izumi Elite Softshell gloves. They are primaloft lined and keep my cold prone fingers pretty tosty...

Tandem Rider
10-18-2015, 06:36 AM
Everyone's hands and cold tolerance seem to be a little different. Pearl Izumi Lobster Claws work for me below 35, they're too warm if it's above 35. If it's too cold for them I either ride the trainer or ski.

Cicli
10-18-2015, 06:36 AM
Barmits.

Tickdoc
10-18-2015, 07:00 AM
alternative glove idea: I've been riding with neoprene fishing gloves for the last five years and just love them. I bought them fishing for salmon in Alaska a while back and have bought two pairs since then. They are great for inclement weather down to the 30's and offer a crazy amount of cushion for way less than you would spend on cycling specific gloves. Windproof and Fleece lined, they heat up once your hands sweat and trap the heat in just like a wetsuit.(mine don't have the ugly blue strap).

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Wcg8eFBFjRU/TcB0qRwmksI/AAAAAAAABYA/3dm24gSS2yw/s1600/Glacier-Glove.jpg

Best $25 cycling purchase for winter riding ever....except for my turtle fur :~)

http://thumbnail.image.rakuten.co.jp/@0_gold/txgolf/000/0799036-1.jpg

93legendti
10-18-2015, 07:05 AM
alternative glove idea: I've been riding with neoprene fishing gloves for the last five years and just love them. I bought them fishing for salmon in Alaska a while back and have bought two pairs since then. They are great for inclement weather down to the 30's and offer a crazy amount of cushion for way less than you would spend on cycling specific gloves. Windproof and Fleece lined, they heat up once your hands sweat and trap the heat in just like a wetsuit.(mine don't have the ugly blue strap).

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Wcg8eFBFjRU/TcB0qRwmksI/AAAAAAAABYA/3dm24gSS2yw/s1600/Glacier-Glove.jpg

Best $25 cycling purchase for winter riding ever....except for my turtle fur :~)

Hmmm, very interesting. Your hands don't get chilled when they sweat in these? I understand wet suits, but then again I don't water ski for 2 hrs in sub freezing weather...

OtayBW
10-18-2015, 07:07 AM
Yow! I use these same gloves for winter sea kayaking! I would go for something more breathable for cycling. I like and use Gore gloves - several models will get you down pretty much as low as you want to go.

Tickdoc
10-18-2015, 07:14 AM
Yow! I use these same gloves for winter sea kayaking! I would go for something more breathable for cycling. I like and use Gore gloves - several models will get you down pretty much as low as you want to go.

I should clarify...I only use these for 40 and below, anything above that and your hands sweat too much. I just haven't found anything better for cold cold riding.

93legendti
10-18-2015, 07:14 AM
Barmits.

I have them and they work well. But I like to move my hands around on the bars-so what's just right in the mitts is too cold on the bar tops...and vice versa.

marciero
10-18-2015, 07:34 AM
These have been great. Usually just the shell with one or two liner gloves. In extreme cold I add the down inner mitts

http://www.backcountry.com/marmot-8000-meter-mitten?CMP_ID=PD_GOt001BR&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PSBR&gclid=CLzinqODzMgCFYZbfgod2oIKyA&gclsrc=aw.ds

oldpotatoe
10-18-2015, 07:36 AM
Have 55 degree gloves and 25 degree gloves but for today-45 degrees..anybody try PI Cyclone gloves?

Whatdoyouthink?

jzisk
10-18-2015, 08:55 AM
Down to 35 I like Sugoi Firewall XT gloves, but at lower temps prefer a lobster like Garneau's Super Shield.

Gsinill
10-18-2015, 09:02 AM
Barmits.

+1
Seems to be the only solution for me below 20

berserk87
10-18-2015, 09:29 AM
For rides below 20, I use a gauntlet outer shell glove that is windproof, with a liner glove. The gauntlet glove is nothing special - pretty common type. The liner glove I choose depends on my mood. I have several kinds of polar fleece gloves that work, as well as a windproof liner.

The gauntlet allows for sealing (or venting) near the wrist. The shell glove should be roomy enough to accommodate a liner.

I have ridden down to 0 degrees with this setup. At 0 with a 17mph wind, it was not adequate. But I can go out at about 7 to 10 degrees with this and it works well enough.

lhuerta
10-18-2015, 10:08 AM
Under 20, Craft Siberian with liner....the only deep winter glove I have found with sufficient breathing. Craft makes them in both lobster/split finger and regular five finger design.

rwsaunders
10-18-2015, 10:32 AM
Head to TJ Maxx and look for some snowboard gloves. My go to solution for temps in the 20's.

zennmotion
10-18-2015, 10:46 AM
Have 55 degree gloves and 25 degree gloves but for today-45 degrees..anybody try PI Cyclone gloves?

Whatdoyouthink?

I like Swix classic nordic ski gloves for a little cooler than 45deg, and these XC 1000s for 40-45deg depending on how warm you like. I love Swix gloves, they're the Sidi's of cold weather aerobic wear, I hate gloves that constrict, make my hands sweat or impede my dexterity. Seriously, try them, Boulder Nordic Sport probably has them.

http://www.swixsport.com/Products/Apparel/Gloves-Mittens/XC-1000-glove-Mens

zennmotion
10-18-2015, 10:53 AM
Head to TJ Maxx and look for some snowboard gloves. My go to solution for temps in the 20's.

Ugh, no. I tried that one year. Too stiff to shift easily, they rub my nose raw, and they're not that warm- I always had a couple of fingers going numb and ended up trying to make a fist to avoid frostbite. When it's that cold, definitely lobster claws. To each his own, but snowboard gloves are designed for a very different application.

zennmotion
10-18-2015, 10:57 AM

I use neoprene dive gloves for wet CX racing and rides in cold rain. But not winter or extended rides, they sweat like crazy, and they're not warm in cold wind. Plus, after a few rides without turning inside out and washing (major PIA) they stink.

Likes2ridefar
10-18-2015, 11:58 AM
Hmmm, very interesting. Your hands don't get chilled when they sweat in these? I understand wet suits, but then again I don't water ski for 2 hrs in sub freezing weather...

Typically with those gloves my hands are really cold starting out in sub freezing temps, like going numb cold, and then sweat like pigs once I beat the chill. They hold water and you better hope you don't cool down or you are screwed.

I would not use them for sub twenty gloves by themselves. Perhaps with some insulation over them they'd work for anything you cycle in. Never tried them that way.

Rbh mittens are what I use in extreme cold on the bike. They are thin enough they work with shifters. They will beat anything when active. My hands are steaming when I take them out after hours in below zero temps. A few times they literally froze overnight backpacking so you just blow some hot air inside, stick the hands in and off you go.

Bob Ross
10-18-2015, 02:58 PM
I mean 20 degrees or lower..

I don't get many opportunities to ride below 20°F -- not that I'm in any hurry to find them either! -- but if I did I would definitely own a pair of the Pearl Izumi Lobster Claws. My wife owns a pair, I've tried them, and they are just way too hot for me even when temps are in the low 20s.

93legendti
10-18-2015, 03:46 PM
My hands get colder sooner than most. What works for others at 20 degrees might only work for me at 32 degrees.

Anyway, Performance has a 20% coupon today, so I ordered a pair of the PI PRO Softshell Lobster Gloves. I also had a gift card, so I figured they were worth a try. Purely a price play. We will see how they work.

http://www.performancebike.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&productId=1135885&storeId=10052&langId=-1

OtayBW
10-18-2015, 04:04 PM
You can push the cold rating down a good bit if you get some polypro or wool/thermal glove liners as well.

Likes2ridefar
10-18-2015, 04:43 PM
Latex/nitrile gloves inside the pearls help as well. Like the neoprene it makes it sloppy wet if you overheat but it keeps the insulation dry so you dont have to worry about freezing a few hours into the ride.

Frankly though for true sub twenty riding they wouldn't keep my hands warm for anything longer than an hour or so. I used to commute in them for about one hour and my threshold was about 5F with the lobsters and I had to be working hard most the ride.

93legendti
10-27-2015, 06:15 PM
My hands get colder sooner than most. What works for others at 20 degrees might only work for me at 32 degrees.

Anyway, Performance has a 20% coupon today, so I ordered a pair of the PI PRO Softshell Lobster Gloves. I also had a gift card, so I figured they were worth a try. Purely a price play. We will see how they work.

http://www.performancebike.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&productId=1135885&storeId=10052&langId=-1
They arrived today, I Ordered large, but they are sized like a medium. Performance is sold out on all sizes now.:crap:

Off to post a WTB in Classifieds...

gone
10-27-2015, 06:26 PM
We get a lot of temps less than 20F here and the only thing I've found that works is bar mitts. I hear what you're saying about wanting to move around on the bars (and agree) but I normally wear a lightweight set of full finger gloves underneath and periodically take my hands out of the mitts and ride on the tops then put them back when they start to get cold. Dries any accumulated sweat off of them and my hands are warm all of the time.

I've tried mittens, lobster claws, gloves, etc., in fact I've got a big storage tub full of them, but the only thing that gets me through the winter outside is the bar mitts.

93legendti
10-27-2015, 06:46 PM
We get a lot of temps less than 20F here and the only thing I've found that works is bar mitts. I hear what you're saying about wanting to move around on the bars (and agree) but I normally wear a lightweight set of full finger gloves underneath and periodically take my hands out of the mitts and ride on the tops then put them back when they start to get cold. Dries any accumulated sweat off of them and my hands are warm all of the time.

I've tried mittens, lobster claws, gloves, etc., in fact I've got a big storage tub full of them, but the only thing that gets me through the winter outside is the bar mitts.

One thing I didn't get to try last winter is some snowmobile mitts I bought for my fat bike, which are thinner than bar mitts, allowing me to wear thicker gloves under the mitts and not suffer when I go to the bar tops. At least that is the theory.

mtb_frk
10-27-2015, 06:49 PM
As others have said bar mitts. I picked up a set of cheap ones on Amazon to try on the mountain bike. They are awesome. I also bought a pair of moose mitts from trails edge for the road bike. I couldn't get them in the bike as good and it seemed with the open back end they weren't as warm as my 20 dollar Amazon ones.

thwart
10-27-2015, 08:13 PM
Below 20 F... ?

Adam, you're much tougher than I. Bar mitts.

Remember your hands (and to a lesser degree your feet) are radiators for your body/core. Core too cold... better keep the nice warm blood there... and not much goes out to those radiators. Not much blood flow = painfully cold hands. Caffeine, dehydration and alcohol can make this worse.

Hot weather... core too hot... flood those radiators with blood... until they sweat to keep us cool.

So keeping your core warm will make finding warm gloves much easier.

JAGI410
10-27-2015, 08:32 PM
For me in MN:
Barehanded until 45 degrees.
Head running gloves until 30 degrees
Merino wool liners under head running gloves until 15 degrees
Merino wool liner gloves in Moose Mitts pogies until 0 degrees
Merino wool liner gloves inside giordana gore-tex mittens with pogies until -20 degrees.
Below -20, add chemical hand warmers to the between liners and glove.

93legendti
10-27-2015, 09:10 PM
Below 20 F... ?

Adam, you're much tougher than I. Bar mitts.

Remember your hands (and to a lesser degree your feet) are radiators for your body/core. Core too cold... better keep the nice warm blood there... and not much goes out to those radiators. Not much blood flow = painfully cold hands. Caffeine, dehydration and alcohol can make this worse.

Hot weather... core too hot... flood those radiators with blood... until they sweat to keep us cool.

So keeping your core warm will make finding warm gloves much easier.

Been out many times in single digits, haven't you? We must get the same weather. Enough layers and it works. That's when I pull out my Ibex Top Knot hat.

My core does pretty well and I used to have my hands covered till I lost one of my thick Ibex wool mitts...and they aren't made anymore. Keep an Ibex Loden Vest on my porch when I go out on days in the 20's - if I need it, I throw it on over my cycling jacket.

I may have the hands covered, won't know till we get down to the 20's. Just trying to start early and be ready for the cold as well as find out what's new since I bought the Ibex Mitts 10'years ago.

I don't drink alcohol, but will try to to drink more water.

Thanks for the tips.

shovelhd
10-28-2015, 06:23 AM
For deep cold I use Craft split finger. For fall riding I use LG Stage. With either I will add hand warmers if needed, in particular, when I am scoring your freezing cold CX races.

AJosiahK
10-28-2015, 07:07 AM
Rode my bike in to work almost everyday over last winter here in E Mass.

granted it was only 6 miles on a fat bike, so I warmed up quick and didnt have time to get too cold...

I rode some OR high camp three fingers.

never looked back

Lovetoclimb
10-28-2015, 07:13 AM
I found the 2 layer Giro Proof gloves to work well below 30 degrees. I only do limited riding when it is that cold but I was able to operate Campy shifting which some would argue requires more dexterity than Sramano. The only con, and it is a big con, is when washing them the liner often turns inside out and is nearly impossible to get back in the shell completely. Makes for some very uncomfortable fingers until resolved.

Gummee
10-28-2015, 07:48 AM
I've wandered down the Castelli aisle and have had a few pairs of gloves fall into my cart...

Got one each of their temp range gloves and they're pretty good for how they're rated. Been wearing my Gara gloves lately, with a few times in the Leggenda. Haven't broken out the Estremo glove yet, but it was my go-to for last winter.

One thing I wish bicycling gloves had that moto gloves do is a thumb squeegee. Make getting precipitation off your lenses much easier.

M

TimD
10-28-2015, 07:54 AM

+1. Found a pair of Patagucci snowboard gloves for $25 several years ago. Ugly as sin but very effective and sufficiently flexible to allow me to shift fairly easily.

CampyorBust
10-28-2015, 08:12 AM
20 below is tough, I have tried my Swany ski gloves. They are way too bulky, so I have a set of lighter North face gloves (not sure of the exact model) they seem to work ok. Only problem is I go through a period of maybe 10-15 where my hands are very cold if not frozen then things start to warm up and stay toasty for the remainder of the ride. Also last winter I started putting hand warmers in my gloves and to warmers in my shoes, tight fit but very warm.

93legendti
10-28-2015, 08:18 AM
I started putting the adhesive toe warmers on my shoes (under my Booties) last year as well. They work really well.

I saw gloves with the squeegee at REI. I wondered if I would ever go to wipe my nose by mistake with the left thumb and...ouch...

93legendti
11-12-2015, 02:44 PM
I've wandered down the Castelli aisle and have had a few pairs of gloves fall into my cart...

Got one each of their temp range gloves and they're pretty good for how they're rated. Been wearing my Gara gloves lately, with a few times in the Leggenda. Haven't broken out the Estremo glove yet, but it was my go-to for last winter.

One thing I wish bicycling gloves had that moto gloves do is a thumb squeegee. Make getting precipitation off your lenses much easier.

M

Does the Castelli Estemo glove run true to size?

bicycletricycle
11-12-2015, 02:57 PM
for that cold I use some mitten shells, have all kinds, some outdoor research gore tex, some swiss army surplus with leather bits, with wool gloves on the inside.

veloduffer
11-12-2015, 03:20 PM

M

+1 on the Estremo glove, which could be had as low as $59 in the off-season. I've owned sooooo many gloves and these are by far the best regular gloves (non-lobster) for warmth and are not bulky. Lobster gloves can be warmer but are often bulky - closer to mittens.

93legendti
11-12-2015, 06:24 PM
+1 on the Estremo glove, which could be had as low as $59 in the off-season. I've owned sooooo many gloves and these are by far the best regular gloves (non-lobster) for warmth and are not bulky. Lobster gloves can be warmer but are often bulky - closer to mittens.

Agree. A trigger glove is much better for shifting and braking dexterity. Very curious about the Estremo.

93legendti
11-21-2015, 08:10 PM

Tried out my Estremo gloves yesterday. It was 39 with 18 mph winds and they were too warm. So that's good. Switched to my Assos Early Winter Goves, first with liners- too warm, then without liners and they were just about right, surprisingly, cuz it's hard to see where the warmth comes from. The seams on the inside of the Assos gloves will take a little getting used to.

weisan
11-21-2015, 08:25 PM
Estremo $50

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Castelli-Estremo-Cycling-Gloves-Mens-XL-Winter-Windstopper-Thermal-Black-/401026778991?hash=item5d5f0f076f:g:zlIAAOSwhcJWQQn i

mcteague
11-22-2015, 06:40 AM
I have Craft Siberian gloves, 5 finger type, and find they really don't keep my hands warm below 40 degrees or so. Pretty sure this is more a me problem. When it gets cold, my fingers hurt so much it feels like pins are sticking in them. They don't turn blue or anything, just hurt like crazy when it gets to about freezing. Tried lots of gloves, with and with out liners. I also have the PI PRO AbFib Lobster glove and that is a bit better but I am still in pain after about 20 minutes riding when it gets real cold.

I generally just stop for a minute or so and shove my hands up into my jacket. Unfortunately, while this warms my fingers a bit, it is like putting an ice pack on my chest. Just hate Winter riding but it still beats the indoor trainer!

Tim

dalava
11-22-2015, 09:40 AM
Down to 35 I like Sugoi Firewall XT gloves, but at lower temps prefer a lobster like Garneau's Super Shield.

Have the Sugoi too and like them down to the single digits. Giro also makes a good one that's good to 10-20, but I forgot the model.

93legendti
11-22-2015, 12:36 PM
Estremo $50

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Castelli-Estremo-Cycling-Gloves-Mens-XL-Winter-Windstopper-Thermal-Black-/401026778991?hash=item5d5f0f076f:g:zlIAAOSwhcJWQQn i

I bought mine from that Ebay seller. $57 shipped. Good deal, right?

Wore them today, 28 degrees, 19 degrees wind chill. Nice gloves.

Tried Ti Designs' trick of wool socks over my shoes and under my PI Booties and that kept my feet warm. I have Sidi winter boots, but I am not crazy about the ankle cuffs or how the Velcro straps always snag on my wool socks. Just seems easier to use my shoes with toe warmers.

christian
11-22-2015, 01:33 PM
I haven't found any cycling gloves to be particularly good.

I use wool gloves down to about 35. Often with Camp WindMit'ns for the first 5-10 miles. Windmit'ns are amazing. They pack to the size of a matchbox and add sooooo much warmth if needed. (http://skimo.co/camp-windmitn-glove)

Between 35 and 25, I use Kinco 901s. (http://www.amazon.com/Kinco-Pigskin-Leather-HeatKeep-Repellent/dp/B012YEKI4W)

Below 25, I use Swedish army surplus shell mitts and Woolpower liner mitts. And shift less frequently. (http://uedata.amazon.com/Original-Military-Swedish-Alpine-Mittens-/dp/B00655DFVK)

tuscanyswe
11-22-2015, 01:39 PM
Ive been riding these for a looong time in very cold conditions. They are excellent!
I find windstopper models to be far superior universally and these are the favorites amongst a rather large run of gloves through the years.

https://cdn-media.sportamore.se/uploads/products/7330937459071_003.jpg

https://cdn-media.sportamore.se/uploads/products/7330937459071_005.jpg

christian
11-22-2015, 01:46 PM
Bj?n, are those the Marmot windstopper convertible gloves? Torgvantar, my mom would call them.

tuscanyswe
11-22-2015, 02:26 PM
Nope. Guess they are Hestras take on "torgvantar". A very nice version!

DHallerman
11-23-2015, 07:33 AM

Hey JZ, how does the sizing run on the Estremo gloves?

I often get winter gloves one size up, so I can put in liners if I need them.

Dave, who also is glad to see that this thread doesn't focus only on cycling gloves for winter since warm gloves for other sports can work too

veloduffer
11-23-2015, 07:38 AM
How does the sizing run on the Estremo gloves?

I often get winter gloves one size up, so I can put in liners if I need them.

Dave, who also is glad to see that this thread doesn't focus only on cycling gloves for winter since warm gloves for other sports can work too

Size up - I usually wear Large and got XL. My hand is almost 8" from tip of middle finger to wrist. You may want XXL for liners, as the fit is good but not loose. FWIW, I have never found liners to help with my gloves and often feel colder.

I found that with Castelli stuff that I always need to size up, but it is also very consistent quality wise and IMHO has some of the best product innovation (I use there Espresso Due jacket and tights - terrific!).

93legendti
11-23-2015, 08:16 AM
I got XL's in the Estremo. Not as large as most XL's. I can fit L liners in them and rode that way yesterday- Ibex Shax liners. Today, I will have to try one hand with a liner and one without to see if liners are counterproductive.

audi666
11-23-2015, 08:49 AM
as lame as they look, barmits are awesome when its in under 20F.

i have PI elite lobster gloves i use with liners when its -5F to 20F but you loose so much dexterity that it really does become an issue (at least for me having a commute through an urban area). The barmits let you run a very small glove (so that your bare hand isnt touching metal) which makes actuating the brakes/shifters much easier.

wolfstone636
11-27-2015, 10:04 AM
I use Gerbings Heated gloves with Batteries. They work for me. Available on amazon

DHallerman
11-27-2015, 10:18 AM
So, this thread convinced me to try the Castelli Estremo. I normally wear a size medium in gloves, so based on JZ's suggestion, I ordered a size large.

And the gloves didn't fit me in a kind of odd way.
A bit too long in the fingertips, with too much extra fabric there.
And too tight in the diameters of my fingers, all of them, but especially the thumbs.

So, it wouldn't be as easy to shift (too long) and wouldn't be warm enough (too tight).

Now I have a pretty proportional body, average-size, including my hands. And I don't remember ever trying gloves that combined too big and too small.

Dave, who says that for the $5.70 return shipping this was still worth the try

Size up - I usually wear Large and got XL. My hand is almost 8" from tip of middle finger to wrist. You may want XXL for liners, as the fit is good but not loose. FWIW, I have never found liners to help with my gloves and often feel colder.

I found that with Castelli stuff that I always need to size up, but it is also very consistent quality wise and IMHO has some of the best product innovation (I use there Espresso Due jacket and tights - terrific!).

93legendti
12-01-2015, 09:56 PM
Rode my bike in to work almost everyday over last winter here in E Mass.

granted it was only 6 miles on a fat bike, so I warmed up quick and didnt have time to get too cold...

I rode some OR high camp three fingers.

never looked back

Based on your suggestion, I exchanged the 3 finger OR gloves for some defective OR Southpack gloves that let wind in like they were a strainer. The High Camps came yesterday, so I am looking forward to trying them in really cold weather. It is supposed to be 45 deg tomorrow, so they will have to wait.

Lewis Moon
12-02-2015, 08:01 AM
In my job as an aquatic biologist, I often have to work outside in cold to very cold weather and also operate field laboratory equipment. On one of my trips on the Colorado River in the Grand canyon, we put in on January second, and proceeded to have 12 straight days of sleet, snow, what have you. The gloves that worked exceptionally well for me were simply mid-heavyweight fleece liners inside of rubber gloves not unlike dishwashing gloves. My hands were never cold, even in wet conditions well below freezing, and I rarely had to take them off to operate meters, tie knots, etc. I'd love to find a set of Gortex-ish shell gloves that I could run liners under.

Zoodles
12-02-2015, 08:32 AM
The only solution I've found, for cycling or working outdoors, is multiple gloves. The second pair is usually a big pair of mitts kept in my pocket that come out to eliminate the first round of numbness after which I can return to the first pair.

Admittedly I don't shift much in the winter or ride SS anyways.

Schmed
12-02-2015, 09:10 AM
+ 3.1415 for Bar Mitts and gloves - no gloves needed down to about 30 degrees, light gloves down to 15 degrees, medium gloves below that. I love my Bar Mitts.

I have a set of PI lobster claws and do not like the material on the inside. Makes me feel sweaty and I get a little bit of finger-clausterphobia having my digits all forced on each other like that.

kestrel
01-12-2016, 04:54 PM
I use Gerbings Heated gloves with Batteries. They work for me. Available on amazon

I just got a pair of Gerbing Coreheat7's. They are the miracle cure for me riding in below freezing weather. Did a three hour ride in 28 degree weather last week with them set on 2. Toasty to the point my palms were sweating at the completion of the ride. I have been having circulation issues in my finger tips for the past 4 or 5 years and it has limited my cold weather riding. These gloves solved the problem.