PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me some cold weather riding gear

kppolich
10-17-2015, 08:24 PM
It's that time of the year here in Iowa. Looking for some affordable winter riding gear. Specifically bib Tights, long Sleeve, gloves, and shoe covers. Going to be doing some CX and gravel rides/races. Ready GO!

Lovetoclimb
10-17-2015, 08:44 PM
The Rapha line is impeccable and I have some thermal bib shorts that are 3 winters in and showing no sign of wearing out. Jackets and such will probably last longer since they do not experience the wear and friction of bibs.

A budget option would be the Castelli nano line. Thermal bibs, water"proof", including arm and leg warmers, shoe covers, and the Gabba jersey/jacket.

MattTuck
10-17-2015, 08:47 PM
I really like the Louis Garneau Super Prestige Gloves (http://www.amazon.com/Louis-Garneau-Super-Prestige-Gloves/dp/B0073RJZXG).

Looks like they have a new design for this year, so you might be able to score a good deal on last year's model.

FlashUNC
10-17-2015, 11:14 PM
Assos.

Even their outlet stuff from a gen or two back is amazeballs.

572cv
10-18-2015, 07:08 AM
Good timing. First snow of the season here in NW Vermont !

oldpotatoe
10-18-2015, 07:18 AM
Have 50 degree gloves and 20 degree gloves..how about these for today..45 degrees..

Anybody use them? Need something..

PI Cyclone gloves.

CNY rider
10-18-2015, 07:41 AM
Assos.

Even their outlet stuff from a gen or two back is amazeballs.

Yeah the Assos knickers and tights can't be beat.
I love my Rapha bibs but Assos has them beat for winter tights.

R3awak3n
10-18-2015, 07:49 AM
I just some giro thermal bibs, they were on sale on steep and cheap for $60. So far so good but need some more miles in them. Can't beat them for that price though.

Also just bought a showers pass elite jacket, still need more miles to really give a review, specially some rain miles.

berserk87
10-18-2015, 09:33 AM
If you are looking for heavy-duty bib tights, it is hard to beat Pearl Izumi AmbFib tights. They are thick and windproof, and reasonably priced.

I would like to try Assos tights but they cost more than my first car, generally speaking.

I have had 3 pairs of AmFibs and have found nothing close in terms of warmth and bulk. I have a pair of Rapha Deep Winter tights and the fit is really nice.

zennmotion
10-18-2015, 10:21 AM
For me, the biggest challenge is my feet in keeping me on the bike for more than 2hrs or so in very cold weather.Forget shoe covers IMO, invest in some decent winter shoes, much warmer and easier to put on and walk in (mtb versions) when you need to dismount and walk around those icy patches during the freeze thaw beginning and end of winter. And they save time getting dressed, that seems to take me forever with all the winter layers. And of course, get shoes a size larger than normal to fit some good thick wool socks. Lakes are reputed to be the warmest, although I've had a pair of Northwave Arctics that have done me well for quite a few seasons. I hate shoe covers, but that's just me. I agree with the PI Amfib tights, they're super and affordable. I also like the Swix line of nordic ski gloves, they're better quality than most bike gloves, I like the Classic model for temps 35-45deg, nice and supple so you can shift those little Shimano paddles easily (campy mouse ear shifters rock when you're wearing winter gloves- and I'm otherwise a Shimano guy:fight:) And they're super comfortable, the backs make decent nose wipes too. Swix nordic ski ear muffs are also fantastic- I hate thick hats under the helmet because they're almost always too hot, but my ears get cold with thin hats. Thin (nordic ski) racing earmuffs are great worn under a thin hat- warm ears without overheated head. https://www.bouldernordicsport.com/shop/p-1007-swix-earmuff.aspx My favorite warm jacket is the Gore Tool jacket- not too expensive but really warm, I usually just wear a base layer underneath down to 30*F and a winter jersey underneath when it's colder- it's overkill for most of my winter riding in the mid-atlantic but it would be a daily use thing if I lived where winters are real. It has pit zips- I would never buy a winter riding jacket without pit zips.

weisan
10-18-2015, 10:42 AM
Years ago, we moved from Austin to St. Louis for a couple of years to attend grad school before we came back again. Unlike Central Texas, they have real winter/snow up in the mid-west.

The first winter we were there, I was ill prepared for the cold weather, didn't have the right cycling gear and suffered horribly. Second winter, I vowed not to make the same mistake again, have taken steps to beef up my winter gear. But often times, I found that I have over-compensated and was over-dressed. The third and last winter that we were there, I finally got it down. And one thing that made a big difference is I have "trained" my body to acclimatize to the colder temperature by purposely wearing short sleeve and shorts all the way till the low 50s. You will be surprised how our bodies are able to adapt to change.
Coming back to Austin, I often get a chuckle or two when I see folks wearing long bibs and tights when the temp. hit the 60s and some even at 70s. I understand that everyone's tolerance level is different. But there's a training effect to be had if you are willing to let your body adjust accordingly instead of reaching for that high-zoot Assos at the drop of the mercury level. Obviously, nobody is advocating freezing to death or going out to ride naked in the teens, that's just...so...so....:rolleyes:

Tickdoc
10-18-2015, 10:45 AM
Years ago, we moved from Austin to St. Louis for a couple of years to attend grad school before we came back again. Unlike Central Texas, they have real winter/snow up in the mid-west.

The first winter we were there, I was ill prepared for the cold weather, didn't have the right cycling gear and suffered horribly. Second winter, I vowed not to make the same mistake again, have taken steps to beef up my winter gear. But often times, I found that I have over-compensated and was over-dressed. The third and last winter that we were there, I finally got it down. And one thing that made a big difference is I have "trained" my body to acclimatize to the colder temperature by purposely wearing short sleeve and shorts all the way till the low 50s. You will be surprised how our bodies are able to adapt to change.
Coming back to Austin, I often get a chuckle or two when I see folks wearing long bibs and tights when the temp. hit the 60s and some even at 70s. I understand that everyone's tolerance level is different. But there's a training effect to be had if you are willing to let your body adjust accordingly instead of reaching for that high-zoot Assos at the drop of the mercury level. Obviously, nobody is advocating freezing to death or going out to ride naked in the teens, that's just...so...so....:rolleyes:

I still overdress early cold season. Took me a long time to focus on the end of ride temp and dress to that.

paredown
10-18-2015, 12:53 PM
+1 on the Assos gear--even though the price can make your head explode.

I really wish we had decent cold weather gear BITD--although where I'm living now has "real" winter and not the 40 degree/damp cold of the PNW. (The blog "Belgian Knee Warmers" (which looks to be down?) used to crack me up--that was us--riding in 35 degree weather with wool shorts, and our knees covered with embrocation and vaseline...)

Weisan is right though--let your body adjust to being in the cold and wear a little less than you think.

Transition for me is Assos Intermediate layered up (since it has wind block) and bib knickers with windblock/or light tights (I think I bought some Campy ones).

Cold is the Assos older generation long tights with windblock (no pad and light shorts), wool socks and shoe covers and the older gen Assos Airjack layered up accordingly.

For in between I have a lighter jacket/heavy jersey--again I think it is Campy from a few years back.

Anything below about 20 degrees, I'm not riding.

eippo1
10-18-2015, 10:31 PM
Misjudged layers for today's 40 degree windy day and headed out with a craft long sleeve, a regular ss jersey, and a windbreaker. Went back, swapped the jacket for my Rapha hardshell and then was happy as a clam descending in flurries.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

oldpotatoe
10-19-2015, 06:17 AM
It's that time of the year here in Iowa. Looking for some affordable winter riding gear. Specifically bib Tights, long Sleeve, gloves, and shoe covers. Going to be doing some CX and gravel rides/races. Ready GO!

BEST piece of cold weather gear I have..neck gator. Curve thin ones(Pandana), thicker ones from Rapha, another Merckx one...

Benneke
10-19-2015, 12:00 PM
I really like my Specialized Element windstopper gloves. I have long fingers and slim hands and need an XL glove. Most options are way too bulky but the Specialized fit is nice and svelte.

DHallerman
10-19-2015, 12:15 PM
I've found that using an Ibex Indy with a hood as one of my mid-layers offers double-duty.

The hood is thin enough that it can go under my regular helmet without being too tight. But because it's wool, it keeps my bald head warm down to the mid-30s.

But if it gets too warm, easy to pull the hood off.

This is what I'm talking about: here (http://shop.ibex.com/merino-wool-clothing/mens-long-sleeve-shirts/m-hooded-indie)

Dave, who has no financial connection whatsoever with Ibex or any other clothing company

Ohdoom
10-20-2015, 06:49 PM
Your core is the key!
Merino wool shirt base. Currently using specialized's
Insulated bibs! Assos tiburu with the S7 chamois is the kneez
Wool socks. Thin ones so your toes have room.
Winter boots are key. Im using the specialized defroster. Cheap and excellent.

Simply add to that as the temps drop.

Currently for a humid east coast sub 40*F day:

base shirt
insulated bibs
arm warmers
knee warmers
regular/summer jersey
standard to mid gloves
hat with ear covering
thin wool socks
winter boots
+thin, packable rain/wind shell that you take off as soon as you feel a slight sweat come on

My buds are chattering while im good to go in no time. For real the base layer and insulated bibs are the key to everything so far for me.

Seramount
10-20-2015, 08:16 PM
the most valuable piece of cold weather kit I have is an Under Armour Cold Gear long-sleeve...awesome base layer.

I have to be careful about when I deploy it, it's freakin' warm...

have some AeroTech fleece bibs that are next on the list. not expensive, very warm and comfy.

those two items have vastly expanded my winter riding opportunities...

weisan
10-20-2015, 09:13 PM
I have to be careful about when I deploy it, it's freakin' warm...

Sera-pal, you do know we live in the GREAT State of TEXAS, don't you?
I remembered the last time I deployed my etxeondo windstopper winter jacket, they have to throw me into the lake to prevent heat stroke.

cdn_bacon
10-21-2015, 09:19 AM
Upcoming goodies for the winter slush season.

from what I've learned from my commutes last year in the slop I've purchased to try and make my life ( and the amount of layers) a little easier.

1) castelli rain pants ( to go over my AMFIB tights - see above, these are amazing. rode them in a complete downpour and the legs stayed warm and dry they are resistant to 10,000 mm which is one of the highest ratings.

2) buy some nitrile gloves. It's a great barrier for moisture and wind.I use these and some cheap insulated gloves with rubber palms from Marks Work Warehouse and I was warm handed for 3 hours in -11.

3) Winter boots. Gave up on shoe covers after my Castelli's ripped and now my Garneau windstoppers have ripped after a season. These have good reviews and are cheapest at nashbar from all the shopping around I've done.
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_588234_-1___

4) clear/yellow lens glasses. these have helped a ton.

rodcad
10-21-2015, 09:24 AM

For affordable it's hard to beat Performance gear.

rwsaunders
10-21-2015, 09:25 AM
^ +1 regarding the Northwave boots. I still use chemical toe warmers when it gets down into the low 30's high 20's with these shoes, but I've been using them for 5 Winters without any issues.

drewski
10-21-2015, 01:20 PM
If below 50 or if its particularly windy:

Belgian Cycling cap
I had the Rapha one and Prendas Cyclismo. Has a Flap that can fold
down over the ears when its nasty

Layers

Silk or marino wool sweater

Tights or wool pants
I have a pair of IBEX winder tights which gets used heavily but my favorite
pair of leg protection is a pair of Saville Road men's pants.
Got them for $10.00. Soft was butta'.

No cotton anything.