PDA

View Full Version : OT: car shopping

Tickdoc
10-17-2015, 08:37 AM
Getting ready to replace my wife's outback. She wants something a bit more refined.

She likes to sit up a bit so a wagon is out.

She wants the kids to have enough room to be comfy ( they're teenagers)

So far we have driven a Mercedes gla, a Lexus nx200?, rx350, and an Audi Q5, one with the 2.0t and one with the turbo diesel.

So far, the diesel q5 is the winner. Never thought I'd say that, but it just feels really well built, and the diesel has a great balance of power and refinement for a diesel.

Looks alone, I'd be all over a new Volvo xc90. I think they are stunning. It bigger than we really need, and well equipped they are more than we want to pay. If they redesigned the xc60 to be as polarizing as the xc90 then I'd be interested, but that may not happen for another year or two.

May go try an x3 today, and what else?

oldpotatoe
10-17-2015, 08:39 AM
Getting ready to replace my wife's outback. She wants something a bit more refined.

So far we have driven a Mercedes gla, a Lexus nx200?, rx350, and an Audi Q5, one with the 2.0t and one with the turbo diesel.

So far, the diesel q5 is the winner. Never thought I'd say that, but it just feels really well built, and the diesel has a great balance of power and refinement for a diesel.

Looks alone, I'd be all over a new Volvo xc90. I think they are stunning. It bigger than we really need, and well equipped they are more than we want to pay. If they redesigned the xc60 to be as polarizing as the xc90 then I'd be interested, but that may not happen for another year or two.

Address of rock you have been living under?:eek:

Just kidding but...yeegads...;)

malcolm
10-17-2015, 08:44 AM
How about the mercedes GLK 250. It's the diesel one. We looked at it a while back and I liked it. Can't remember why we didn't get it. I think my wife was concerned the nanny would put gas in it.

OtayBW
10-17-2015, 08:45 AM
DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!! Sorry, I didn't read the rest of your post. I got side-tracked right there.
But, good luck on the hunt.

Tickdoc
10-17-2015, 09:02 AM

Ha! Not a Volkswagen based td ;-)

soulspinner
10-17-2015, 09:27 AM
Drive an XC 60 for the heck of it.

dgauthier
10-17-2015, 09:42 AM
The new Toyota Highlander looks really nice. You can get it with a panoramic glass roof now for that extra splash of style. I'm a big fan of Toyota's reliability vs any of the Europeans. An Acura MDX is a terrific vehicle too.

Dirtdiggler
10-17-2015, 09:47 AM
+1 on the Toyota Higlander V6 AWD. Drove my mother's for a week.. The Highlander replaced her 05 MB E320 wagon.. Probably the best SUV lineup from Toyota, middle road from their 4Runner and Sequioa.

Schmed
10-17-2015, 09:52 AM
We have an X3 35i and love it. Excellent handling and quite fast with the 35i engine.

Audi SQ5 impressed me on a recent test drive. If your wife is a closet F1 driver, she might like the above!

jghall
10-17-2015, 10:16 AM
Drive an XC 60 for the heck of it.

Agree. You may be surprised. Appears to check most of your boxes.

adhumston
10-17-2015, 10:52 AM

Actually it is a VW tdi diesel. But I think OP was more implying the benefits of the diesel itself.

Edit: and it appears that the EPA is now looking into the VW 3.0 diesels found in the VAG offerings (VW, Audi, and Porsche).

tumbler
10-17-2015, 11:00 AM

Even if the Q5 isn't on the list of recalled vehicles, I'd be hesitant to buy what is still a TDI built by Volkswagen AG right now.

We test drove most of those same cars this summer. Have you looked at the new Outback? It actually sits about as high as the "SUVs" you mentioned, despite looking distinctly wagonish. The cabin is very nice and roomy, on par with many of the luxury competitors we looked at. It is a very long car, which could be good or bad depending on your needs.

I also second the suggestions above about looking at the Merc GLK and XC60. I've rented both and liked them. The GLK is a good size and has a great engine, although the cabin isn't as refined as it should be (the Outback is nicer). The XC60 has a great cabin and I don't mind the looks of the current model. You might also check out the Acura RDX and MDX. They didn't do it for me, but are worth a look.

For what it's worth, we ended up with an RX350 and really like it. The only minus is the city mpg.

Tickdoc
10-17-2015, 12:34 PM
Driving an x3 for the day. Fire engine red. Matches her serotta;-)

We'll see.

whateveronfire
10-17-2015, 12:38 PM
Actually it is a VW tdi diesel. But I think OP was more implying the benefits of the diesel itself.

Edit: and it appears that the EPA is now looking into the VW 3.0 diesels found in the VAG offerings (VW, Audi, and Porsche).

Agreed. I wouldn't touch a VAG diesel right now of any sort. I'd also be hesitant about an Audi at all unless they're dealing. The VW pr problem is mostly confined to VW right now, but I think it will spread to the other brands. Unless you're leasing, buying an Audi may be an exercise is rapid depreciation.

dgauthier
10-17-2015, 12:41 PM
Even if the Q5 isn't on the list of recalled vehicles, I'd be hesitant to buy what is still a TDI built by Volkswagen AG right now. (. . .)

Yup. I was seriously considering an Audi A6, or -- indulging my mid-life crisis side -- a Porsche Cayman. Not now. Eff all those guys . . . to many other cars to choose from to let it all just slide.

Tickdoc
10-17-2015, 07:28 PM
Update: we hit it hard today and drove all kinds.

BMW X3...very pricey for its size, but surprisingly nice. Drove it for about three hours today and thought we might take it home, but the kids hated it.
Mercedes ML350... Hated it.
Volvo x60....nice feel but too small backseat and will be redone soon.
Porsche macan....I fell head over heels for this overpriced beauty of a car. Haven't been that excited about a car since I bought my old 330i. It felt like I wore it rather than drove it and man did it go like stink.....but we're not shopping for me here and it didn't balance the price v size comparison well. I'll consider one of these when my turn comes around.
Porsche Cayenne. Big, complicated, heavy, but nicely done and way nicer than the old version I drove circa 2006. Too much money though.
Subaru Outback. I forced her to drive the newest version. It is better in Many ways, and still represents a great value, but still lacks refinement.

Just a little Seperation in size, type, and price.

Still want to drive the new Volvo x90, but they sell them as fast as they get them and the only ones they have are already sold.

Lease v own? New v old? Section 179 write off for her business?

Lots of things to consider. I'm just a little worried that she really can't tell much difference between them all. X3 and q5 are leading the race, but neither qualify for tax break from weight status and I hate the thought of putting her in something big just for the sake of that.

The best part is we are in no rush and there aren't many bad choices out there these days.

The worst part is we wasted a beautiful fall day that could've been spent doing something productive like riding a bike!

p nut
10-17-2015, 07:40 PM
Second the Acura MDX. Reliable, refined, comfortable, and 30+ mpg freeway.

adhumston
10-17-2015, 07:52 PM
Personally, if I were in your shoes, and I favored the Audi w the diesel, I'd still buy it. Your money, your choice, your car.

oldpotatoe
10-18-2015, 06:07 AM

BUT Audi owned by VW and many Audi TDI on the 'lst'...hopefully not the one you are looking at.

As an OBTW-I have a 2013 VW JSW TDI and I still love it. Quick, 40 mpg, roomy for 2 grand daughters and stuff in back. Comfy..not too sweated up about all the hoopla, don't 'feel' put upon, not 'disgusted'. We'll see how it shakes out. Nobody really knows what's going to happen, regardless of some internet 'info'..but in the mean time..diesel at $2.22 or so...

Tickdoc
10-18-2015, 10:50 AM
I toyed with this a few years ago but decided to just buy instead.

Volvo seems to have the best package out there with airfare and hotel included.

Back then, the only downside I saw was

1. Waiting on your vehicle to arrive.

2. You have to buy a Volvo :~)

But with the new xc90, it sounds like a fun thing to try.

Looking at spending spring break this march and delivery of vehicle would be mid summer.

Wish I could drive one.

mgm777
10-18-2015, 11:50 AM
Tickdoc -- We went through the same dilemma in January 2014. We have two growing teenagers who are active in all sorts of sports that require various gear loads. We were replacing my wife's aging Volvo V70. We seriously considered the Q5, as my wife's employer has a co-branding agreement with Audi USA, and we are able to purchase the vehicle at a significant savings. From a driving perspective, the Q5 was the winner. Just a very well thought out car, all the way around, and fun to drive. However, we felt, the Q5 was just a little too small for our family, the kids, gear, and a lab. We looked at the Toyota Highlander, but my wife felt is was too similar to my 4Runner, as she wanted something different, as the car would her primary vehicle. I wanted another Volvo, perhaps the XC-70, but she didn't want another wagon. Ultimately, we drove and purchased a 2014 Acura MDX. She loves the vehicle. It has plenty of room for the kids, their gear, a friend or two, and our lab. Also, it also has that refined vehicle feel. When we first acquired the MDX, I personally felt it was too much car for us. It was, by far, the largest and nicest vehicle we've ever owned. It is much larger than my '07 4Runner, or at least it feels that way. Now, after having owned the vehicle for nearly two years, we have concluded that the MDX is the appropriate size for our family. Our kids are now 16 and 14, and the MDX has safely and comfortably transported our kids and a couple of friends to many soccer tournaments, games, and ski trips to the mountains. It is a very comfortable car and solid drive. We highly recommend the MDX.

Ken Robb
10-18-2015, 11:50 AM
BMW has an excellent overseas delivery program that many of my BMWCCA pals have enjoyed. Quite a few of them do it every few years.

AngryScientist
10-18-2015, 12:28 PM
at the pricing territory you're in, have you looked at the japanese offerings? the toyota landcruiser, whatever the lexus version of it is, the 4-runner and lex equivalent ? the modern versions of those cars are really very nice.

Tickdoc
10-18-2015, 01:56 PM
Tickdoc -- We went through the same dilemma in January 2014. We have two growing teenagers who are active in all sorts of sports that require various gear loads. We were replacing my wife's aging Volvo V70. We seriously considered the Q5, as my wife's employer has a co-branding agreement with Audi USA, and we are able to purchase the vehicle at a significant savings. From a driving perspective, the Q5 was the winner. Just a very well thought out car, all the way around, and fun to drive. However, we felt, the Q5 was just a little too small for our family, the kids, gear, and a lab. We looked at the Toyota Highlander, but my wife felt is was too similar to my 4Runner, as she wanted something different, as the car would her primary vehicle. I wanted another Volvo, perhaps the XC-70, but she didn't want another wagon. Ultimately, we drove and purchased a 2014 Acura MDX. She loves the vehicle. It has plenty of room for the kids, their gear, a friend or two, and our lab. Also, it also has that refined vehicle feel. When we first acquired the MDX, I personally felt it was too much car for us. It was, by far, the largest and nicest vehicle we've ever owned. It is much larger than my '07 4Runner, or at least it feels that way. Now, after having owned the vehicle for nearly two years, we have concluded that the MDX is the appropriate size for our family. Our kids are now 16 and 14, and the MDX has safely and comfortably transported our kids and a couple of friends to many soccer tournaments, games, and ski trips to the mountains. It is a very comfortable car and solid drive. We highly recommend the MDX.

I would be all over an mdx, but my wife says no. Her reason? A former friend has one. Not even a new model one, but she refuses to own the same car. Silly, I know, but that is my wife.

She can't let the radio sit on certain volume levels, either.

Ocd you think?

Tickdoc
10-18-2015, 01:57 PM
BMW has an excellent overseas delivery program that many of my BMWCCA pals have enjoyed. Quite a few of them do it every few years.

I'll have to look into that. I know Porsche and Mercedes do it as well, I just remember Volvo having the best deal going with the free business class airfare.

quattro
10-18-2015, 08:46 PM
In a similar shopping mode. Just sold our 2004 Volvo XC90 with 158,000 miles.
Looked at the Audi Q5 like it a lot, BMW X3, also the VW Touraeg. But all three vehicles use premium gas. Drove the Jeep Grand Cherokee it's is a bit larger but uses regular gas, a big plus, liked it. We own a 2011 MDX we like very much. Anyone own a Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit? It's pretty loaded and drives very nice, big savings on gas.

Louis
10-18-2015, 08:58 PM
Lease v own? New v old? Section 179 write off for her business?

I can't speak to the tax benefits of buying it as a car for her business, but whenever I buy a car I choose one I plan to keep for a long time and I pay cash, whether I'm buying new or used. I figure if you have to get a loan you're probably buying something that's too expensive for your cash flow and you should set your sights a bit lower.

Climb01742
10-18-2015, 08:59 PM
In a similar shopping mode. Just sold our 2004 Volvo XC90 with 158,000 miles.
Looked at the Audi Q5 like it a lot, BMW X3, also the VW Touraeg. But all three vehicles use premium gas. Drove the Jeep Grand Cherokee it's is a bit larger but uses regular gas, a big plus, liked it. We own a 2011 MDX we like very much. Anyone own a Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit? It's pretty loaded and drives very nice, big savings on gas.

My wife has a Grand Cherokee and her biggest take-away is that the seats suck. On a drive of any duration, her lower back becomes very sore/stiff. Coming from a Volvo, with the best seats in the industry, you might notice quite a difference. Otherwise the Jeep is fine, with nothing exceptionally good or bad. But she's yearning to get back in a German car when her lease is up.

fa63
10-18-2015, 09:37 PM
Not in the same boat as the other cars you have mentioned, but the new Nissan Murano looks pretty nice. I drive an older one with 154,000 miles and it has been a great car. Very spacious inside and drives like a sedan. Looks like the new gets pretty good gas mileage as well.

pjm
10-18-2015, 11:02 PM
Not in the same boat as the other cars you have mentioned, but the new Nissan Murano looks pretty nice. I drive an older one with 154,000 miles and it has been a great car. Very spacious inside and drives like a sedan. Looks like the new gets pretty good gas mileage as well.

That styling is, hmm, interesting? And its CVT only.

foo_fighter
10-18-2015, 11:16 PM
Is that real-world? It's only rated for 26.

quattro
10-19-2015, 06:16 AM
My wife has a Grand Cherokee and her biggest take-away is that the seats suck. On a drive of any duration, her lower back becomes very sore/stiff. Coming from a Volvo, with the best seats in the industry, you might notice quite a difference. Otherwise the Jeep is fine, with nothing exceptionally good or bad. But she's yearning to get back in a German car when her lease is up.

The seats in my Volvo were leather and they wore terribly, both front and rear, as a result the seats were not comfortable. I found the seats in the leather seating in the Grand Cherokee Summit to be very firm and comfortable, but only took it on a short drive.

oldpotatoe
10-19-2015, 06:22 AM
nice, roomy. Saw a lady put a big electronic tennis ball thrower in the back..no sweat.

Ralph
10-19-2015, 07:20 AM
No one is mentioning depreciation rate. The real cost of owning a new vehicle. Differences in fuel cost and maintenance among vehicles is down the line a ways when comparing what a new vehicle really costs to drive.

Some of those German luxury cars drop like a rock in value over a 4-5 year period. Check Edmunds, Intellichoice, and others for this info.

Most vehicles lose around 50% of their value over a 5 year period, but some a lot more, and some a lot less.

If real costs of vehicle ownership not important to you, then ignore this.

fa63
10-19-2015, 07:24 AM
That styling is, hmm, interesting? And its CVT only.
The latest design is not for everyone; that is for sure.

As far as the CVT goes, I really like mine and haven't had any problems. The new one seems to even better, looking at the reviews.

soulspinner
10-19-2015, 07:41 AM
The latest design is not for everyone; that is for sure.

As far as the CVT goes, I really like mine and haven't had any problems. The new one seems to even better, looking at the reviews.

Must say we have a 2014 Honda and the cvt is terrible. Waits to shift into drive long enough to roll down the hill we live on backwards. Boring to drive. Mileage seems the only benefit. Your mileage may vary...

soulspinner
10-19-2015, 07:43 AM
I toyed with this a few years ago but decided to just buy instead.

Volvo seems to have the best package out there with airfare and hotel included.

Back then, the only downside I saw was

1. Waiting on your vehicle to arrive.

2. You have to buy a Volvo :~)

But with the new xc90, it sounds like a fun thing to try.

Looking at spending spring break this march and delivery of vehicle would be mid summer.

Wish I could drive one.

New XC90 is amazing. Working at a Volvo dealer, we are selling all they can give us and we are taking people out of BMWs, Mercedes and Audis.

tumbler
10-19-2015, 09:09 AM

I think the MDX is 20/27 for 2wd and 19/26 for all wheel drive. You might be able to hit 30mpg in perfect conditions, but I'd be surprised if that happened regularly. The smaller RDX is around 20/29.

Tickdoc
10-19-2015, 09:53 AM
New XC90 is amazing. Working at a Volvo dealer, we are selling all they can give us and we are taking people out of BMWs, Mercedes and Audis.

Yes, looks wise it is the most polarizingly different one out there, and very easy on the eyes.

sharkboyrob
10-19-2015, 04:41 PM
Wife and I went through this recently and got a Q5 2.0. Coming from an '08 XC90 that we loved, we shortlisted down to the Q5 and XC60. I test drove a '16 XC90 and thought it was a bit bloated in looks and performance, like it was a Swedish Buick. The XC60 seemed too austere for the price. The Q5 is fun to drive and has a luxurious interior. I'm hoping the refreshed XC60 will bump up a bit in size as the XC90 did, and fill the bill.

kestrel
10-19-2015, 07:24 PM
Drove the Honda, Acura, Mazda, Lexus, Toyota offerings. The Acura and Lexus were the cream of the crop in my opinion. My wife insisted on trying the Infiniti line.
We tried the QX60, she thought it was too big for her. She has been in an Odyssey and wanted something with a bit more zip and slightly smaller.
Salesman suggest she drive a QX50. It was love a first drive. Small enough to feel nimble, 3.7 V6 that really has the power. Comes in AWD and is a very refined small SUV. The only other car that came close was the Macan and the price tag drove me away.
Downside to me is getting 26 MPG on the highway, but it's still equal or slightly better than the van. Pretty consistent 20 to 21 around town.

echappist
10-19-2015, 07:33 PM

any news on when AWD will be implemented on cars with Drive-E engine?

weisan
10-19-2015, 07:46 PM
This is above my pay grade... I mean, literally...:D but at the expensive neighborhood that I would occasionally ride around on my bike, other than the ones already mentioned, there seems to be a following for Land Rovers. Again, I know nothing about these cars...seems to me like people who owned LRs did it because they wanted something different from their neighbors.:eek::D

Ken Robb
10-19-2015, 09:18 PM
This is above my pay grade... I mean, literally...:D but at the expensive neighborhood that I would occasionally ride around on my bike, other than the ones already mentioned, there seems to be a following for Land Rovers. Again, I know nothing about these cars...seems to me like people who owned LRs did it because they wanted something different from their neighbors.:eek::D
When you buy a Land Rover you are only concerned with your NEIGHBOURS. :p

weisan
10-19-2015, 09:25 PM
When you buy a Land Rover you are only concerned with your NEIGHBOURS. :p

Ken pal, thanks for confirming my suspicion all along. ;)

mgm777
10-19-2015, 10:55 PM
I had a Land Rover for 12 years. I was emotionally attached. When you buy a LR, you should create a separate, four-figure line item in your budget for maintenance. You will need the extra available resources.

dpk501
10-19-2015, 11:07 PM
I've had an x5 diesel, and x35 and a q5. The X3 was my favourite but I'm back to sedans now. I saw go BMW.

Tickdoc
10-20-2015, 06:05 AM
I had a Land Rover for 12 years. I was emotionally attached. When you buy a LR, you should create a separate, four-figure line item in your budget for maintenance. You will need the extra available resources.

Been there, done that.

Loved ours (2008 LR3) right up until the point where the transfer case went out at 60,000 miles.

I bought it new and paid top dollar (also a writeoff)

I expected some loyalty forgiveness and/or help with the repairs.

Any guess what a transfer case replacement costs?

Try nearly $7k.

They were not willing to help, so I took it to my cousin, bought a $600.00 used transfer case off ebay, had him wrench it in, and sold the thing.

No more Land rovers for me.

p nut
10-20-2015, 09:43 AM

From my folks, so I'd say fairly accurate. They do live in higher elevation (6k ft), which makes the engine burn leaner and less air resistance.

Has anyone suggested the Lexus RX yet? Another good choice, IMO.

jh_on_the_cape
10-20-2015, 10:18 AM
If I were going to buy a new Volvo, I would totally do the European delivery. I drive a V70 and love it. This is true if you are not in a hurry and can wait for the car to arrive.

I lived in Gothenburg, Sweden for most of a month. I can tell you this: go in the summer. NOT THE WINTER.

Bring your bike and post pics. You like the XC90. Test drive one. Personally, the looks don't do it for me. For that money and size, I would get a Landcruiser.

http://home4cars.com/data_images/models/volvo-xc90/volvo-xc90-02.jpg

http://images.thecarconnection.com/sml/2015-toyota-land-cruiser-4-door-4wd-natl-angular-front-exterior-view_100486329_s.jpg

Dirtdiggler
10-20-2015, 11:11 AM
+1 on the LC

''Range Rover will get you there, but a Land Cruiser will be bring you back''

soulspinner
10-20-2015, 12:35 PM
If I were going to buy a new Volvo, I would totally do the European delivery. I drive a V70 and love it. This is true if you are not in a hurry and can wait for the car to arrive.

I lived in Gothenburg, Sweden for most of a month. I can tell you this: go in the summer. NOT THE WINTER.

Bring your bike and post pics. You like the XC90. Test drive one. Personally, the looks don't do it for me. For that money and size, I would get a Landcruiser.

http://images.thecarconnection.com/sml/2015-toyota-land-cruiser-4-door-4wd-natl-angular-front-exterior-view_100486329_s.jpg

Dont usually like big SUVs but this thing is amazing. Used to sell Land Cruisers, and they are very reliable, but dont head on one into a new Xc 90...

Ken Robb
10-20-2015, 12:36 PM
From my folks, so I'd say fairly accurate. They do live in higher elevation (6k ft), which makes the engine burn leaner

I don't think this is true. Engines with carburetors run RICHER at higher altitudes unless jets are changed. Fuel injection systems adjust the amount of fuel to suit the available oxygen so the air/fuel ratio remains "normal" but total available power is diminished due to less oxygen in the air at higher elevation. Supercharging and turbocharging can offset the power loss by forcing more air into the combustion chambers.

I don't think the air at any altitude and speed encountered by a street car could be thin enough to have a measurable effect on fuel economy.

Tickdoc
10-20-2015, 12:45 PM

Are we looking at the same thing here?

jh_on_the_cape
10-20-2015, 12:53 PM
Are we looking at the same thing here?

OK. I guess the XC90 is less money.

AngryScientist
10-20-2015, 12:57 PM
OK. I guess the XC90 is less money.

holy cow! just checked the msrp of the LC. i had no idea they were that much new. yikes, who buys these things new?

Louis
10-20-2015, 01:27 PM
holy cow! just checked the msrp of the LC. i had no idea they were that much new. yikes, who buys these things new?

The same folks who buy $5-20 million apartments in NYC.

AngryScientist
10-20-2015, 01:31 PM
The same folks who buy $5-20 million apartments in NYC.

above my pay grade, for sure

quehill
10-20-2015, 03:24 PM
This.

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/international/scout-ii/1780550.html

ceolwulf
10-20-2015, 04:07 PM
Also this:

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/20/426f973e5d9dfe4e5d4bf9189af43a9d.jpg

http://www.wagonmaster.com/

Louis
10-20-2015, 04:18 PM
Now would be the time to add the Family Truckster to the list...

weisan
10-20-2015, 04:23 PM
http://www.hotrodscustomstuff.com/OLD_SITE/Cars/52%20merc%20woodie/1952-woodie-02-07.jpg

Louis
10-20-2015, 04:48 PM
I wonder how many naugas gave their lives for those seats?

p nut
10-20-2015, 05:22 PM
I don't think this is true. Engines with carburetors run RICHER at higher altitudes unless jets are changed. Fuel injection systems adjust the amount of fuel to suit the available oxygen so the air/fuel ratio remains "normal" but total available power is diminished due to less oxygen in the air at higher elevation. Supercharging and turbocharging can offset the power loss by forcing more air into the combustion chambers.

I don't think the air at any altitude and speed encountered by a street car could be thin enough to have a measurable effect on fuel economy.

So by what you're saying, the FI engines run at lower power, meaning less O2 and thereby, less gas, means better MPG, no? Maybe I'm not using the correct terminology.

I used to travel between where I live at 4,500 ft and California coasts, and my butt dyno definitely felt some difference in power delivery. Didn't pay close attention to MPG, though.

bfd
10-20-2015, 05:33 PM
We have an X3 35i and love it. Excellent handling and quite fast with the 35i engine.

Audi SQ5 impressed me on a recent test drive. If your wife is a closet F1 driver, she might like the above!

My buddy was deciding between an X335i and the Audi SQ5 and decided on the Audi because BMW nickel and dimes you for the various accessories he wanted. He got a "fully loaded" Audi for substantially less than the X335i. Too bad as the X335i was faster, but much more expensive.

Of course, YMMV! Good Luck!

Tickdoc
10-20-2015, 06:09 PM
My buddy was deciding between an X335i and the Audi SQ5 and decided on the Audi because BMW nickel and dimes you for the various accessories he wanted. He got a "fully loaded" Audi for substantially less than the X335i. Too bad as the X335i was faster, but much more expensive.

Of course, YMMV! Good Luck!

I like the Audi, and I agree it is not a bad deal loaded...about $5k less comparably equipped.

View from the inside of the one I really wanted....a Porsche macan. The drive in this was over the top fun for me....but this is a car for her and not me:-(

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Handgod/CFAE7F88-0801-4E61-92F9-2DA0745B12F5_zpsvmyjkstb.jpg

And the key looks like a car!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Handgod/9F9D9BA2-B7E0-4B00-8F5F-D9A24647EB9F_zpshrdu0wjq.jpg

quattro
10-20-2015, 06:43 PM
If you like the Porsche, have you checked out the VW Touareg? Pretty nice vehicle.

Ken Robb
10-20-2015, 09:20 PM
So by what you're saying, the FI engines run at lower power, meaning less O2 and thereby, less gas, means better MPG, no? Maybe I'm not using the correct terminology.

I used to travel between where I live at 4,500 ft and California coasts, and my butt dyno definitely felt some difference in power delivery. Didn't pay close attention to MPG, though.

To use a term from buisness school the critical path (limiting factor) for an internal combustion engine is the amount of oxygen it can pump. In a gas engine the ideal ratio is about 13-17 to one oxygen to fuel---BY WEIGHT. Obviously it's easy to dump in as much fuel as the amount of oxygen available in the combustion chamber can use. When the mass airflow sensor or similar device detects reduced oxygen at high altitude it tells the ECU to reduce fuel flow. The result is less max power but similar fuel consumption.

In the bad old days of carburetors thinner high altitude air flow resulted in over-rich mixtures and less power and mileage due to over-rich mixtures. You also probably fouled your spark plugs.

Ralph
10-21-2015, 07:15 AM
To use a term from buisness school the critical path (limiting factor) for an internal combustion engine is the amount of oxygen it can pump. In a gas engine the ideal ratio is about 13-17 to one oxygen to fuel---BY WEIGHT. Obviously it's easy to dump in as much fuel as the amount of oxygen available in the combustion chamber can use. When the mass airflow sensor or similar device detects reduced oxygen at high altitude it tells the ECU to reduce fuel flow. The result is less max power but similar fuel consumption.

In the bad old days of carburetors thinner high altitude air flow resulted in over-rich mixtures and less power and mileage due to over-rich mixtures. You also probably fouled your spark plugs.

This is true. The issue with making power is getting oxygen to an engine. Then mixing it properly with fuel. There is no issue with getting enough fuel.

BTW.....Some vehicles, especially the more expensive ones, maybe the ones advertised as being quicker, get that quickness with a lower axle or transaxle ratio. Thus using more fuel. My son a couple years ago had one of the Infinity Sport utes....A FX 35 or something like that. That thing was very quick for the size of it's engine. But.....it used a lot of fuel (premiun) because it had a low transaxle gear. For every each extra 5% in cruising RPM, you lose about 1 MPG. Of course...weight comes into play also. Most vehicles....especially the ones using 87, try for a good balance between performance and fuel economy. I usually assume any vehicle requiring premium, the drivetrain is optimized for performance. Especially considering that 87 fuel has very slightly more energy content. But with premium you can usually run more timing and make some extra power.

tumbler
11-02-2015, 01:09 PM

Even if the Q5 isn't on the list of recalled vehicles, I'd be hesitant to buy what is still a TDI built by Volkswagen AG right now.

I hope the OP didn't settle on the Q5 TDI...http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-vw-action-20151102-story.html

djg21
11-02-2015, 02:34 PM
If your nearby, I'm selling a 2012 Audi A4 Avant with 56k miles, loaded to the gills. My wife was just given a company car. We'll both miss the Audi, but you can't beat a free car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rnhood
11-02-2015, 03:11 PM
I hope the OP didn't settle on the Q5 TDI...http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-vw-action-20151102-story.html

I figured the probe would widen and, there would be more culprits. Probably not a decision to buy any VW, Prorsche or Audi until this all gets fleshed out. Even more of their cars could be found guilty.

Tickdoc
11-02-2015, 04:06 PM
I don't think a diesel is in our future, scandal or no scandal.

We keep going back to the Volvo.

No decisions yet.

I hate that we want the most wanted new suv out there....they are in short supply and sold before they can even get the plastic off of them.

No haggling allowed.... They are selling for sticker.

Just trying to be patient.

morrisericd
11-02-2015, 05:33 PM
We bought a Volvo V60 with the Drive E engine last year. I'm still hoping it was just us but we kept having check oil issues with it. There are many, many posts at swedespeed.com about it. We were able to convince our local Volvo dealer to buy the car back from us. I think the jury is still out on the Drive E engines which is too bad as they get great gas milage and are very peppy and fun to drive.

We ended up with the V60 CC with the T5 engine and are very happy with it. We've had all the European cars (Audi A4, A6, BMW 3 series, Volkswagen Golf) and really like the V60. It's a pretty small car but my son and I traveled to a cross race this weekend with both bikes in the back (front wheels off, stacked on top of each other - not pretty but better than on top). The gas milage isn't as good with the T5 but it's in the mid 20's and approaches 30 on the highway. Fit and finish are as good as the Audi's and much better than anything else I've driven. I don't want to start a war here but go drive a Subaru Outback and then a Volvo right after. You'll see what I mean. My only criticism of the Volvo is the front seats may not be for everyone. They're very comfortable but you have to be pretty skinny to not be squeezed in there. Fine for us but worth mentioning. To me the best cars in this price range are the A4 and the V60 CC or non Drive E V60.

echappist
11-02-2015, 06:10 PM
We bought a Volvo V60 with the Drive E engine last year. I'm still hoping it was just us but we kept having check oil issues with it. There are many, many posts at swedespeed.com about it. We were able to convince our local Volvo dealer to buy the car back from us. I think the jury is still out on the Drive E engines which is too bad as they get great gas milage and are very peppy and fun to drive.

We ended up with the V60 CC with the T5 engine and are very happy with it. We've had all the European cars (Audi A4, A6, BMW 3 series, Volkswagen Golf) and really like the V60. It's a pretty small car but my son and I traveled to a cross race this weekend with both bikes in the back (front wheels off, stacked on top of each other - not pretty but better than on top). The gas milage isn't as good with the T5 but it's in the mid 20's and approaches 30 on the highway. Fit and finish are as good as the Audi's and much better than anything else I've driven. I don't want to start a war here but go drive a Subaru Outback and then a Volvo right after. You'll see what I mean. My only criticism of the Volvo is the front seats may not be for everyone. They're very comfortable but you have to be pretty skinny to not be squeezed in there. Fine for us but worth mentioning. To me the best cars in this price range are the A4 and the V60 CC or non Drive E V60.
Finally, a first-person account of the V60. Grazie

Out of curiosity, was the start-stop functionality bothersome?

soulspinner
11-02-2015, 07:09 PM
any news on when AWD will be implemented on cars with Drive-E engine?

not yet:bike:

soulspinner
11-02-2015, 07:20 PM
Finally, a first-person account of the V60. Grazie

Out of curiosity, was the start-stop functionality bothersome?

The start stop on the new 4 cylinder Volvo engines (and many more cars today) drive me nuts. I always disable it as I dislike the little shake that occurs with the re start of the car. Plus we have had a new one with an issue with the system. Full disclosure I work at a Volvo dealer and drive them 5 days a week...;)

Tickdoc
11-02-2015, 07:26 PM
The start stop on the new 4 cylinder Volvo engines (and many more cars today) drive me nuts. I always disable it as I dislike the little shake that occurs with the re start of the car. Plus we have had a new one with an issue with the system. Full disclosure I work at a Volvo dealer and drive them 5 days a week...;)

I always turn them off too. Very few have been seamless/not bothersome.

I hate the ac turning off too. Some just blow fan air on you until the engine eventually kicks in.

Last one I drove for any distance was a Mercedes GLa as a service car. Stop and go traffic was maddening on a hot day. Just as soon as I would need to inch forward, the engine would cut out, or turn on, then off, then on again as I scooted forward, then off again, etc.

I don't do a lot of stop and go, but I would think this feature would be ultra maddening in a big city.

So, dare I ask....any problems with the new XC90's? I know it is new new new, but it seems like a very well thought out car.

PeregrineA1
11-02-2015, 07:57 PM
Re: oil burning Volvo. My sister in law just got a new engine gratis in hers. After a year of haggling and an earlier attempt to resolve with new pistons.

eddief
11-02-2015, 08:31 PM
i want a buyback.

enr1co
11-02-2015, 08:38 PM
And the key looks like a car!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Handgod/9F9D9BA2-B7E0-4B00-8F5F-D9A24647EB9F_zpshrdu0wjq.jpg

Looks like they followed Tesla's idea:

http://blogs-images.forbes.com/hannahelliott/files/2012/07/2.jpg

ariw
11-02-2015, 09:44 PM
Love my xc60 r-design

Ari

oldpotatoe
11-03-2015, 05:45 AM
i want a buyback.

:p

soulspinner
11-03-2015, 06:16 AM
Re: oil burning Volvo. My sister in law just got a new engine gratis in hers. After a year of haggling and an earlier attempt to resolve with new pistons.

They aaah put the wrong rings in some pistons some years on a at least one engine...

soulspinner
11-03-2015, 06:18 AM
I always turn them off too. Very few have been seamless/not bothersome.

I hate the ac turning off too. Some just blow fan air on you until the engine eventually kicks in.

Last one I drove for any distance was a Mercedes GLa as a service car. Stop and go traffic was maddening on a hot day. Just as soon as I would need to inch forward, the engine would cut out, or turn on, then off, then on again as I scooted forward, then off again, etc.

I don't do a lot of stop and go, but I would think this feature would be ultra maddening in a big city.

So, dare I ask....any problems with the new XC90's? I know it is new new new, but it seems like a very well thought out car.

So far one out of maybe 40 delivered. The start stop shut car off just away from the dealership a few miles and wouldn't restart....it is the safest and best thought out vehicle teething problems aside.

polyhistoric
11-03-2015, 08:21 AM
After having had Audis (A3 3.2, Q5, A4) for many years, moved on to the v60 with the T5. I wanted a wagon functionality, without the size of an SUV. Audi and BMW just wanted too much for All-Road/335 wagon. As far as usable space, the v60 and q5 aren't much different in day to day life.

I will say the size of the v60 is great for city living - fits 5 people with 2 dogs in the back, bikes on hitch or roof rack. The T5 is peppy but cruises at very low RPM. The stop/start functionality is pain in city driving and always gets turned off. I miss the AWD, but get pretty good mpg in tradeoff.

The layout/ergonomics of the Volvo are quirky - I wish we had waited for the 2015.5 iteration with the revised mapping/console. Audi still has the best interior in the business.

soulspinner
11-03-2015, 08:33 AM
Like the Audi interiors too but with my bad back the Volvo seats, especially on the new XC 90, are the best.

echappist
11-03-2015, 09:32 AM
After having had Audis (A3 3.2, Q5, A4) for many years, moved on to the v60 with the T5. I wanted a wagon functionality, without the size of an SUV. Audi and BMW just wanted too much for All-Road/335 wagon. As far as usable space, the v60 and q5 aren't much different in day to day life.

I will say the size of the v60 is great for city living - fits 5 people with 2 dogs in the back, bikes on hitch or roof rack. The T5 is peppy but cruises at very low RPM. The stop/start functionality is pain in city driving and always gets turned off. I miss the AWD, but get pretty good mpg in tradeoff.

The layout/ergonomics of the Volvo are quirky - I wish we had waited for the 2015.5 iteration with the revised mapping/console. Audi still has the best interior in the business.

thanks for chiming in. the other thing i'm wondering about is why most of the V60 are in the drab colors of black, grey, silver, and white...

buying new is probably a bit more than i'd want to spend, but some of the cpo deals (25k miles for $25k) seem pretty reasonable

ltwtsculler91
11-03-2015, 01:06 PM
thanks for chiming in. the other thing i'm wondering about is why most of the V60 are in the drab colors of black, grey, silver, and white...

buying new is probably a bit more than i'd want to spend, but some of the cpo deals (25k miles for $25k) seem pretty reasonable

Another one to chime in for the Volvo. CPO is definitely reasonable and the service is awesome (Full new car warranty up to 100k).

I'm driving a 2012 S60 T5 that I picked up with 28k miles at a very reasonable CPO price earlier this year, and I love it. As others have said, it is quick, efficient (can easily get low 30s highway/avg 25 overall), comfortable, and the wagon only makes it even more versatile.

morrisericd
11-03-2015, 04:49 PM
The 2015.5 V60CC does not have the auto off. Our V60 did and it drove me crazy!

They're not all drab colors...

Tickdoc
11-03-2015, 05:04 PM
I'll take this blue one:

http://wallpaperspal.com/wp-content/uploads/2014-Volvo-V60-Polestar-Wallpaper.jpg

echappist
11-03-2015, 11:32 PM

agreed. also agreed on the pic of the Polestar, though it is quite a bit out of my pay grade

i'd like something in navy or lighter blue

soulspinner
11-04-2015, 05:29 AM
agreed. also agreed on the pic of the Polestar, though it is quite a bit out of my pay grade

i'd like something in navy or lighter blue

Its called Caspian blue.

soulspinner
11-04-2015, 05:32 AM

4 cyl drive -e engines are the only ones with start stop so far. XC 90 has a turbo and a supercharger each operating at different RPMs.

Tickdoc
11-20-2015, 03:26 PM
Sitting at the dealership now and should be driving home in her new.............

Volvo :beer:

I'll post pics later

EA120711
11-20-2015, 05:35 PM

+1 on the MDX. Great all around vehicle for the money. Initially looked at the Q7 and X5, but in the end went with it and have been completely happy.

Louis
11-20-2015, 05:46 PM
Should have waited for the Giulia. ;)

weisan
11-20-2015, 06:07 PM
Goes to show this is not your father's Volvo anymore...remembered growing up with dad getting two Volvos in a row to serve as our family car - a 940 followed by a 850. Heavy. Safe. Dad came home one day and declared that he was rear-ended by a cab driver. Got out of the car to check on the damage, saw some minor scratches on the bumper and then turned around, shocked to see the cabbie front end smashed like accordion. :eek:Had a rich classmate in junior college who's cocky and smartass, took us all on a drive in his 240, playing russian roulette in the traffic, speeding and weaving in and out of the lane change like a maniac, nearly got us all killed. If I ever see him again, I am gonna punch him in the face. :mad:

Sorry, I digress...tick pal, congratulations on your wife's new V!
:beer::beer:

Ken Robb
11-20-2015, 07:35 PM
Goes to show this is not your father's Volvo anymore...remembered growing up with dad getting two Volvos in a row to serve as our family car - a 940 followed by a 850. Heavy. Safe. Dad came home one day and declared that he was rear-ended by a cab driver. Got out of the car to check on the damage, saw some minor scratches on the bumper and then turned around, shocked to see the cabbie front end smashed like accordion. :eek:Had a rich classmate in junior college who's cocky and smartass, took us all on a drive in his 240, playing russian roulette in the traffic, speeding and weaving in and out of the lane change like a maniac, nearly got us all killed. If I ever see him again, I am gonna punch him in the face. :mad:

Sorry, I digress...tick pal, congratulations on your wife's new V!
:beer::beer:

This is a common result when the driver of the car approaching another from the rear jams on his brakes before impact. His front end drops and his crush zone grill, etc. plows into the bumper of the car in front.

jh_on_the_cape
11-20-2015, 08:17 PM
Why did you choose against European delivery? Just curious

Sitting at the dealership now and should be driving home in her new.............

Volvo :beer:

I'll post pics later

polyhistoric
11-20-2015, 08:31 PM
Congrats!

Urban legend has it that Volvos are Moose-collision tested!

I recently did a 550 mi trip fro Boston to NJ in my v60 Drive-e and averaged 34mpg with the eco+ mode on! Was riding super comfy the whole way with a pocket bulging from the 57.5 cent milage reimbursement rate!

Tickdoc
11-20-2015, 09:40 PM
Still no pics, but I will say I am impressed.

No European delivery because Sweden in December sounds miserable and the wife was too impatient to wait till spring/summer.

We drove 100 miles out of the way to buy ours even though we have a dealer local, they seemed aloof as to what this car is, and didn't have the color combo we wanted.

Here's a brief rundown of our trip back:

Familiarization and setup took about an hour...there are lots and lots of details to go over, more than on any other car I've ever been around.

Our drive home consists of a very busy turnpike crammed with five o' clock traffic. I set the cruise at 85 and touched the brakes three times before our exit.

In 85 miles, at 85 mph, I literally touched the brakes twice. I did steer, but it was only because my a hole puckered up a few times.

It was the weirdest experience I've had yet driving.

It steers itself (almost) and it keeps a predetermined distance to the car in front of you..all the way down to 0 if the stop. Amazing.

It's big, it's quiet, it's comfy, it's fast, it's efficient, it has headlights that are like something shooting out of a ufo, it has a radio (bowers and Wilkins) that reproduces the opera house in Gothenburg and is just amazing. There are four camera that give you a virtual top view of what's around you. It parks itself....both into and out of the parking spot....and those are just a few items.

So far I am impressed, to say the least.

I'll try to take pics tomorrow.

Louis
11-20-2015, 09:48 PM
Interesting and neat. I wonder if it will see cyclists by the side of the road?

A concern I would have about this small step toward a self-driving car is whether it will truly increase safety or maybe instead lead to even more "texting while driving" incidents as folks pay even less attention to the road and what's happening around them.

Tickdoc
11-20-2015, 09:51 PM
Interesting and neat. I wonder if it will see cyclists by the side of the road?

A concern I would have about this small step toward a self-driving car is whether it will truly increase safety or maybe instead lead to even more "texting while driving" incidents as folks pay even less attention to the road and what's happening around them.

Yes! It has a pretty sophisticated camera system that will apparently see cyclist. Let's hope I never find out and see them with my own cameras first ;-)

Tickdoc
11-21-2015, 12:25 PM
a few pics::banana:

barely fits in the garage:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Handgod/C253B5DB-F555-496A-8616-EBC7E9C5EE87_zpstl2baiij.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Handgod/16D03912-C5C4-47B2-BD5E-32A9BBEFF20D_zpsc3uuosum.jpg

soulspinner
11-21-2015, 12:26 PM
Have a black Inscription just like that at work Im lookin at.......