PDA

View Full Version : Is this tire toasted?

tuxbailey
10-16-2015, 10:02 PM
I hit something in the dark on my commute yesterday morning and got a snake bite (pinch flat.) Luckily I was able to change the tube and went on another 14 miles to get to work. Patched up the tube and was on my way back in the afternoon.

Less than a mile out I got another flat. I tried to change the tube again but in the moment of rush I ruined the tube by getting another pinch flat while mounting the tire (side note GP4000s and DT Swiss RR440 is not a very good match, mounting-wise.) Since I used up all my CO2 cartridges I called up my coworker who gave me a ride back to my car.

While waiting I notice the big gash from my almost new GP4000S tire, presumably from the morning incident My question is whether tire is done fo and it belongs to the trashcan.

Thanks in advance

http://tuxbailey.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v39/p1560829022-4.jpg

sw3759
10-16-2015, 10:06 PM
yes imo its done..

Neil
10-16-2015, 10:07 PM
You could stick a boot in it, but tbh I'd chuck that.

Steve in SLO
10-16-2015, 10:09 PM
That is a nasty gash, and I would call it toast.
If there were no other option, you could patch it from the inside, use a tire boot and ride it on the rear, but there would be no guarantees and I wouldn't corner hard on it.

tuxbailey
10-16-2015, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the advice. Trashcan it is.

mg2ride
10-16-2015, 10:33 PM
Rips mean movement and movement means failure.

pdmtong
10-16-2015, 10:41 PM
You could stick a boot in it, but tbh I'd chuck that.

if that gash was in the tread, and budget real tight, yea boot it until you can order a replacement (http://www.merlincycles.com/continental-grand-prix-4000-s-ii-folding-road-tyre-gp4000s-ii-with-2-free-inner-tubes-700c-71989.html)

but sidewall? no way.

JAllen
10-16-2015, 11:08 PM
Moment of silence... R.I.P.

Louis
10-16-2015, 11:10 PM
Moment of silence... R.I.P.

It might work on that Raleigh of yours... ;)

JAllen
10-16-2015, 11:21 PM
It might work on that Raleigh of yours... ;)

Ha! I'm not ready to face that truth yet. :)

oldpotatoe
10-17-2015, 05:37 AM
I hit something in the dark on my commute yesterday morning and got a snake bite (pinch flat.) Luckily I was able to change the tube and went on another 14 miles to get to work. Patched up the tube and was on my way back in the afternoon.

Less than a mile out I got another flat. I tried to change the tube again but in the moment of rush I ruined the tube by getting another pinch flat while mounting the tire (side note GP4000s and DT Swiss RR440 is not a very good match, mounting-wise.) Since I used up all my CO2 cartridges I called up my coworker who gave me a ride back to my car.

While waiting I notice the big gash from my almost new GP4000S tire, presumably from the morning incident My question is whether tire is done fo and it belongs to the trashcan.

Thanks in advance

http://tuxbailey.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v39/p1560829022-4.jpg

Yup..a couple of side notes..not trying to throw stones BUT

-Commuting in the dark with a race tire
-CO2...commuting w/o a pump of some sort.

Just some thoughts...YMMV, IMHO, yadda, yadda..but that tire is adios.

tuxbailey
10-17-2015, 07:17 AM
Thanks old spud for the comment. Yeah I have been thinking about switching tires since the GP4000s are really hard to mount on these rims and also I am not a racer. It is just that I have been using them for a while and they were pretty good. When I switched wheels I still had a set I bought from pbk a few years ago. Do you have any suggestions for a tire that is easy to mount, is relatively durable, and also handles well? I tried Gatorskins before and it is pretty hard to mount as well.

Regarding the pump, I did have a mini-pump with me but I ran of tubes as well.

Cicli
10-17-2015, 07:23 AM
Hard to mount? What rim tape are you using?

oldpotatoe
10-17-2015, 07:25 AM
Thanks old spud for the comment. Yeah I have been thinking about switching tires since the GP4000s are really hard to mount on these rims and also I am not a racer. It is just that I have been using them for a while and they were pretty good. When I switched wheels I still had a set I bought from pbk a few years ago. Do you have any suggestions for a tire that is easy to mount, is relatively durable, and also handles well? I tried Gatorskins before and it is pretty hard to mount as well.

Regarding the pump, I did have a mini-pump with me but I ran of tubes as well.

Vittoria Rando tires are nice but kinda lethargic. Vittoria Rubino pros..

As for DT440--not nearly as bad as DT465/415..thin rim strip, like Stans tubeless tape(use 2 wraps)..tire in center of channel..makes for putting on easier.

CSTRider
10-17-2015, 06:41 PM
I carry strips of duct tape wrapped around tire irons for road side repairs of sidewall tears. But once home, i would replace that tire.

regularguy412
10-17-2015, 07:44 PM
You are not the first with Conti Clincher sidewall issues. Which is why I never use'em. Wayyyy back when they were GP3000's -- same issue.

Buddy and I were riding a 40 mile loop many years ago. Got half way around and for no apparent reason, the sidewall on his rear GP3000 just blew out. Nearly a two-inch gash. We really hadn't brought anything with us to repair anything that big. Improvised with the blown out tube. Tore it into a wide patch and made it double thick. Used that for a boot. Only pumped it up to about 50 psi. Rode very carefully back to town and made it fine.

Yep, it's anecdotal, but about half the stuff in this forum is. Trouble is, I've seen more than several Conti Clinchers do the same.

Conti Tubs -- s'OK! I ride'em with no issues,, save that they do tend to wear out a bit quickly.

Mike in AR:beer:

tuxbailey
10-17-2015, 07:55 PM
Hard to mount? What rim tape are you using?

Not sure. I got the wheels from classified here and they were originally built by oldpotato so whatever he uses it is on the rim.

Please excuse my ignorance, what is the impact rim tape has on mounting tire to rim? I get the tire on, hand fit it about 80% of the way, then I use the tire iron to try to fit the last part in. I am having some difficulties with this combo and if I am not careful I damage the inner tube. The tire is just very tight. Maybe it is because they are new and need to be stretched?

saab2000
10-17-2015, 08:04 PM
1. Yes, it's shot.
2. Carry a pump. It has virtually limitless capabilities.
3. What's with all the pinch flats? I've can count on probably 3 fingers the pinch flats I've had in my entire life of riding. That's 30+ years and I'm not that old.

Oh, and piling on.... Continental tires are about my least favorite. They're neither tough nor durable nor supple in my experience. You ought to have at least one and better yet two. Of course, if you ride Veloflex tubulars you'd have all three, but I'm not going to go there..... I just did.... :beer::cool:

Bottom line, the tire is shot.

For a true commuter tire I'd go back to my old 28mm Ruffy Tuffy on a widish rim (like the Pacenti) and run them at about 65-70 PSI.

dlui
10-17-2015, 08:23 PM
if in doubt, throw it out!!! Why take chances? even if someone says its ok, you trust them?

tuxbailey
10-17-2015, 08:38 PM
if in doubt, throw it out!!! Why take chances? even if someone says its ok, you trust them?

Yeah I kind of knew it was destined for the trashcan. Just sharing to get some feedback. Someone also PM me the possibility of getting warranty replacement, which I wouldn't have considered if I hadn't posted.

jzisk
10-17-2015, 11:47 PM
Stans No Tubes saved me many many times, and the feel of their Alpha 340 rim with Hutchinson Fusions is very close to a fine sew-up. But a cut sidewall is the death knell.

oldpotatoe
10-18-2015, 06:03 AM
Not sure. I got the wheels from classified here and they were originally built by oldpotato so whatever he uses it is on the rim.

Please excuse my ignorance, what is the impact rim tape has on mounting tire to rim? I get the tire on, hand fit it about 80% of the way, then I use the tire iron to try to fit the last part in. I am having some difficulties with this combo and if I am not careful I damage the inner tube. The tire is just very tight. Maybe it is because they are new and need to be stretched?

Glad the wheels are getting good use. Not sure if I included rim strip but thin means one side tire bead, in center of rim, thinner means easier to get tire on..Normally with 440s, I just use my hands. New Contis can be a chore, Vittoria easier.