PDA

View Full Version : Castelli Gabba 2 Jacket Fit/Sizing

guido
10-16-2015, 07:59 PM
How do folks size this jacket? It got such glowing reviews that I had to try one even though I could not find a local dealer to check sizing. I have a 44inch chest and long arms. I generally wear Boure Large club or XL race sizing. After consulting the Castelli sizing charts I ordered a XXL Gabba 2. It came today and it is a very tight fit. I can fit a base layer under it but not much more... Is that how folks wear it or do you size up so to get another layer in there?

TIA

Neil
10-16-2015, 08:05 PM
I'm just under 6'2", 40" chest, Medium Gabba.

FlashUNC
10-16-2015, 08:29 PM
The Gabba doesn't generally need another layer underneath. That's kind of the entire point.

MattTuck
10-16-2015, 08:33 PM
The Gabba doesn't generally need another layer underneath. That's kind of the entire point.

Says a man in cycling heaven to a man who may get snow this weekend.

:D

10-16-2015, 08:34 PM
If you have to have that many layers underneath, you need more than the Gabba. And it's supposed to fit tight -- tight like a skin suit -- for aerodynamic purposes and to shed water. That being said, I'm guessing you might want to go to an XXXL. There doesn't seem to be too much difference between the XXL and XXXL. With long arms, I'd go for the XXXL. The larger Gabba tends to shift to fit your needs -- a product of the elasticity of its fabric.

If you need more insulation with a Gabba, I'd just use a few layers of newsprint on your chest. You don't want a lot of fabric under the Gabba or you just get wet underneath and it doesn't insulate as well.

FlashUNC
10-16-2015, 08:38 PM
Says a man in cycling heaven to a man who may get snow this weekend.

:D

Hey now, it ain't all rainbows and unicorns. Sometimes I have to ride through fog.

Uncle Jam's Army
10-16-2015, 08:41 PM
6'0" and 181-183. 41 in. chest. An XL is snug with just a base layer underneath.

Awesome jacket/jersey. Too bad I only get to wear it a handful of times here in So Cal.

bcroslin
10-16-2015, 08:48 PM

Isn't the jacket different from the jersey? I'm going to buy the convertible jacket with the zip off sleeves. I'm going to look funny if I take the sleeves off with no jersey underneath.

I'm also curious about size. I'm 5'11"/ 165 and I was thinking a medium would do. Should I go one size up?

Climb01742
10-16-2015, 08:53 PM
I'll echo what others have said. Gabba is meant to be very tight. A single thin base layer is all I wear under. Gabba stuff is best apparel money I've spent.

Climb01742
10-16-2015, 08:56 PM
Isn't the jacket different from the jersey? I'm going to buy the convertible jacket with the zip off sleeves. I'm going to look funny if I take the sleeves off with no jersey underneath.

I'm also curious about size. I'm 5'11"/ 165 and I was thinking a medium would do. Should I go one size up?

Medium should be good if you're ok with skin tight fit, as I believe it's designed to be worn.

FlashUNC
10-16-2015, 09:29 PM

From what I understand, the only difference is the zippered sleeves between the "jacket" and the "jersey".

Same torso fit and design. Just some arm warmers basically zippered on to the the rest of it.

Its really not meant to be bulky or flap.

Kirk007
10-16-2015, 09:30 PM
6' 3" 44 chest, the XXXL is a bit loose but I like it that way. Wore it today with a mesh sleeveless underlayer - perfect. I will say that for me a 10 lb weight difference is the difference between a little loose and a little tight.

sw3759
10-16-2015, 09:53 PM
I've been wanting to try one as well and was looking for a deal on a medium since I thought they ran small..but i'm 5'8 150lbs so maybe I should look for a small after what was mentioned in the previous posts :confused:

Gummee
10-16-2015, 09:59 PM
I bought a Perfetto jersey (Gabba lite) to try this winter. I'm hoping it doesn't end up like the vest I bought made out of the same material that hangs in the closet.

I may have this Perfetto jersey as well as the vest for sale in the spring if that's the case

M

Lionel
10-17-2015, 12:14 AM
6'5" I wear XL. It is meant to be worn with a base layer. Jacket and jersey fit the same. The jersey with the matching nano flex arm warmer is a very versatile combo. With a mesh base layer it is fine till 5C or so. With a Craft warm base layer you are good till 0C.

berserk87
10-17-2015, 06:56 AM
I have a friend who has a Gabba 2 in XL. I am your size and tried his on and could not zip it up. I have another Casetelli jacket (can't remember the model name) in XXL and it fits snugly. The Gabba 2 is a "race fit", which is the fit intended for this jacket.

joosttx
10-17-2015, 07:40 AM
I'll echo what others have said. Gabba is meant to be very tight. A single thin base layer is all I wear under. Gabba stuff is best apparel money I've spent.

This is how it rolls. Awesome product

ginsued
10-17-2015, 07:59 AM

While the sleeves zip on and off around the shoulder, there is still a short sleeve underneath so it converts to a jersey, not a vest. At least that is how the original Gabba jacket worked.

OtayBW
10-17-2015, 08:38 AM
This thread has piqued my curiosity about Gabba 2, but my initial impression is that while it may be a nice piece of kit, I think it would have limited use (for me...). Sounds great as a windproof outer in Fall/early winter temps, but I've already got that covered either with a LS jersey and windproof vest, or maybe a light shell with zippable sleeves. Both give me protection and breathability.

Anything cooler and I'm into my insulated winter jacket with appropriate wicking and thermal material underneath. What am I missing here?

joosttx
10-17-2015, 08:56 AM
This thread has piqued my curiosity about Gabba 2, but my initial impression is that while it may be a nice piece of kit, I think it would have limited use (for me...). Sounds great as a windproof outer in Fall/early winter temps, but I've already got that covered either with a LS jersey and windproof vest, or maybe a light shell with zippable sleeves. Both give me protection and breathability.

Anything cooler and I'm into my insulated winter jacket with appropriate wicking and thermal material underneath. What am I missing here?

It's great for the rain which its primary function. and you choose a base layer type depending on the temperature.

OtayBW
10-17-2015, 09:04 AM
It's great for the rain which its primary function. and you choose a base layer type depending on the temperature.
Ah - OK, I see. Rain is not much of an issue for me. If I get caught in the rain, I deal with it, but I typically don't plan (or suit up) for it as such and whatever 'rain resistant' material I have usually gets me back in. Thanks.

Lionel
10-17-2015, 09:29 AM
While this is great for the rain I find myself using it a lot when it is dry.

rzthomas
10-17-2015, 09:49 AM
While this is great for the rain I find myself using it a lot when it is dry.

Same here. It's just a great jacket for 55-35F degree rides.

I wear a medium race fit jersey and got the large jacket. Fits nice and slim.

joosttx
10-17-2015, 10:32 AM
Ah - OK, I see. Rain is not much of an issue for me. If I get caught in the rain, I deal with it, but I typically don't plan (or suit up) for it as such and whatever 'rain resistant' material I have usually gets me back in. Thanks.

Yeah, it's a great cool weather jersey too. But what you described as your setup in an earlier post would be the situation for the gabba without rain. So, sounds like you are covered, so to speak

MattTuck
10-17-2015, 12:11 PM
Just a shout out to the folks here who recommended this jersey. My parents gave me one as a gift when they found out that I didn't have a flourescent colored jersey. I told them this is the one I wanted and they were very kind.

Wore it today for the first time. 40 degrees, wind, rain, HAIL.... gabba performed flawlessly with a thin base layer underneath it.

Now, do they make something similar for gloves, knickers, and shoe covers??? cuz those are the things that made me cut the ride short.

Lionel
10-17-2015, 01:27 PM
Just a shout out to the folks here who recommended this jersey. My parents gave me one as a gift when they found out that I didn't have a flourescent colored jersey. I told them this is the one I wanted and they were very kind.

Wore it today for the first time. 40 degrees, wind, rain, HAIL.... gabba performed flawlessly with a thin base layer underneath it.

Now, do they make something similar for gloves, knickers, and shoe covers??? cuz those are the things that made me cut the ride short.

They have bibs, tights, arm warmers, leg warmers, shoe covers.

Not sure about gloves. In fact I'd be interested in the gloves.

bcroslin
10-17-2015, 04:09 PM
While the sleeves zip on and off around the shoulder, there is still a short sleeve underneath so it converts to a jersey, not a vest. At least that is how the original Gabba jacket worked.

This is really good to know. Thank you.

Climb01742
10-17-2015, 04:19 PM

For me, its strengths are simplicity and range. Simplicity because one piece of apparel, with a base layer under, does so many jobs without having to layer or carry other layers with you just in case. It's thermal for a wide temp range. It's wind proof so keeps you cozy on blustery days. And yes, rainproof. Spring and fall, Gabba covers almost every condition, especially on those rides when you aren't sure what's coming, weather-wise, just throw this on, maybe with arm warmers, and you're good. Add to it the snug fit and nothing flaps in the wind yet you're toasty and dry. Hard to think of one piece of kit that does more, more easily and more flexibly. And it's flouro! What's not to love?:banana:

ginsued
10-17-2015, 05:51 PM
They have bibs, tights, arm warmers, leg warmers, shoe covers.

Not sure about gloves. In fact I'd be interested in the gloves.

For the warmers and bibs, you would be looking for Castelli Nanoflex stuff.

thunderworks
10-17-2015, 06:14 PM
IMO, the version with zip-off sleeves should not be called a "jacket". I have both a long sleeve Gabba and one with removable sleeves. They fit exactly the same. I can wear a thin base layer under either, but nothing bulkier. The fit is strictly that of a performance jersey for both garments.

10-17-2015, 06:17 PM
For the warmers and bibs, you would be looking for Castelli Nanoflex stuff.

Just be aware that Nanoflex fits extremely skinny. Like Chris Froome skinny. For most normal people, you won't get their leg warmers on past your ankle.

I'd actually say that they need to make at least knickers with exactly the same fabric (and even in bright colors, too) for winter, wet, and nighttime use. I've tried virtually all the line as we've sorted out team clothing sponsor choices, and nothing else compares, in my mind at least, to the Gabba jersey.

Lionel
10-17-2015, 11:53 PM
I'd actually say that they need to make at least knickers with exactly the same fabric (and even in bright colors, too) for winter, wet, and nighttime use.

they have nanoflex knee warmers.

10-18-2015, 09:55 AM
they have nanoflex knee warmers.

But those fit so thin that few people can wear them. You have to be built like Chris Froome.

kramnnim
10-18-2015, 10:05 AM
Just be aware that Nanoflex fits extremely skinny. Like Chris Froome skinny. For most normal people, you won't get their leg warmers on past your ankle.

I'd actually say that they need to make at least knickers with exactly the same fabric (and even in bright colors, too) for winter, wet, and nighttime use. I've tried virtually all the line as we've sorted out team clothing sponsor choices, and nothing else compares, in my mind at least, to the Gabba jersey.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/castelli-nanoflex-bib-knicker-mens

10-18-2015, 12:13 PM
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/castelli-nanoflex-bib-knicker-mens

Have you actually worn those knickers? We couldn't get them to fit on a 5'9" 125 lb team member. In any size. They were simply sized for someone ultra-skinny. Hopefully Castelli woke up to this, because two shops with significant Castelli inventory sold out on everything else but the Nanoflex mostly just sat there since nobody could fit it.

JLP
10-21-2015, 11:13 PM
I was at bike expo in Seattle a couple of years ago. Walking past a booth of very cute jerseys for little kids, I said "look some double XL Castelli jerseys!"

A couple of industry folk heard me and cracked up.

That said, I'm 5' 10" 165, and an XXL Gabba is tight.

I know skinny little fit guys in 54cm frames who ride XL Gabba.

Great stuff. Sized for Italian middle school kids.

guido
10-22-2015, 07:03 AM
I finally got a 3XL. Wearing it I can almost make out the logo on the HRM strap through the tight jersey fabric... But I can breath so I'm going to give it a go...