PDA

View Full Version : Chris King or Phil Wood ??

johnniecakes
10-16-2015, 05:40 PM
One of the projects for over the winter is to replace a bottom bracket. I am deciding between a Chris King or Phil Wood. I am sure both of the highest quality and will be an improvement over the Ultegra. But is there any advantage of one over the other? Is the ability to re-grease the CK the only practical difference??

Cicli
10-16-2015, 06:17 PM
CK, Why? Because its CK.

Actually, Phil makes some nice stuff too.

oldpotatoe
10-16-2015, 06:18 PM
One of the projects for over the winter is to replace a bottom bracket. I am deciding between a Chris King or Phil Wood. I am sure both of the highest quality and will be an improvement over the Ultegra. But is there any advantage of one over the other? Is the ability to re-grease the CK the only practical difference??

What about ultegra you don't like? 'Improvement' you mentioned.

SoCalSteve
10-16-2015, 06:22 PM
Not sure of the exact cost difference, but you could afford to replace an Ultegra BB many times over for the cost of Phil or CK...and, Ultegra lasts a very long time.

I bet you will never feel a difference between the 3 ( except in your wallet ).

Ralph
10-16-2015, 06:33 PM
I would probably prefer the Ultegra, regardless of cost. Stay out of water, and they last a long time.

eBAUMANN
10-16-2015, 08:30 PM
Ck or ultegra, Phil outboard bb is kinda heavy...

Ultegra = light, cheap, smooth, proprietary tool (6800), made in Asia

Ck = colors! $$, smooth, made in U.S.

Either will do the trick.

10-16-2015, 08:37 PM
What vintage? CK bottom brackets fit 24 mm Shimano fixed axle cranksets, not older splined cranksets, right? Phil is best known for its square-splined bottom brackets and doesn't make an Octalink-compatible one. Ultegra matches each generation of components, and I'd buy the Ultegra over the Dura Ace any time. The Ultegra 6500 for Octalink is perhaps the great bottom bracket of all time, so there'd be no reason to go for anything else if that's the vintage of your equipment.

eBAUMANN
10-16-2015, 08:56 PM
What vintage? CK bottom brackets fit 24 mm Shimano fixed axle cranksets, not older splined cranksets, right? Phil is best known for its square-splined bottom brackets and doesn't make an Octalink-compatible one. Ultegra matches each generation of components, and I'd buy the Ultegra over the Dura Ace any time. The Ultegra 6500 for Octalink is perhaps the great bottom bracket of all time, so there'd be no reason to go for anything else if that's the vintage of your equipment.

Phil makes an outboard bearing bb for shimano.
I don't think we are talking about octalink...are we?

Louis
10-16-2015, 09:00 PM
+1 on Ultegra.

Based on my experience they last a long, long, long time and can handle anything you throw at them, rain, dirt, etc. Plus they don't cost a whole lot. Winners in every way.

Wakatel_Luum
10-17-2015, 02:55 AM
If cost isn't an issue I would go the Phil Wood for something different...

BdaGhisallo
10-17-2015, 05:05 AM
I tried the Phil outboard BB when it was released and had issues with the threads on the St Steel cups jamming up when trying to thread them into an aluminum bb shell. Then there was the fact that the cups weren't as deep as the stock shimano road cups (ie needed spacers to get the crank arms where they should be) and I didn't think that was on for a road setup. After all, road setups have the narrowest width at the BB. Why should you need spacers for a road setup on a 68mm BSA bb shell? Mountain bike, perhaps. Road? Absolutely not.

When I called Phil and inquired about the issues they were most unhelpful and almost took glee in being so. They insinuated I was a hack who didn't know what I was doing. I won't ever touch a Phil product again!

Go with the King or a stock Shimano unit.

Wakatel_Luum
10-17-2015, 05:15 AM
If you look on their website they have a second version out...

http://www.philwood.com/products/outbbhome.php

p nut
10-17-2015, 07:00 AM
I've yet to kill a Shimano BB. Rebuild is easy.

http://socialcyclists.org/road-forum/rebuilding-a-shimano-external-bottom-bracket/

(I just use a tiny flathead screwdriver).

oldpotatoe
10-17-2015, 07:07 AM
I've yet to kill a Shimano BB. Rebuild is easy.

http://socialcyclists.org/road-forum/rebuilding-a-shimano-external-bottom-bracket/

(I just use a tiny flathead screwdriver).

Phil Wood has a kit to remove and replace the actual bearings..still 6805/7mm I think.

bicycletricycle
10-17-2015, 12:39 PM
Phil wood, they make quality durable components in the USA and supporting them in this effort is important IMHO

Unless you want to get a headset as well and have them in matching colors. Then CK.