'bents
confetti colored bar tape
big water bottles
big or medium sized saddle bags
pumps mounted on water bottle mounts
Terry saddles

bironi
05-19-2006, 02:08 AM
I can bear the others, but this product line is...............................

William
05-19-2006, 05:34 AM
I can bear the others, but this product line is...............................

Hey, I like their Marine Corp jersey. :cool:

William

Ray
05-19-2006, 06:05 AM
Wrong threads

-Ray

dbrk
05-19-2006, 06:19 AM

Mikej
05-19-2006, 06:28 AM
Less than 4" of bar drop.
extended head tubes
flipped stems
painted ti
anything but black tires w/ or w/o gumwall
short shorts on dudes
ankle socks
people who make lists that will obviously offend somebody

TimD
05-19-2006, 06:30 AM
People who think they are well-positioned to declare a priori what's wrong for someone else

Argos
05-19-2006, 06:47 AM
Wrong

reflectors
SPD off-road pedals
mountain shoes
triples
wire bead gumwalls
nut and valve caps
camelbaks
Primal wear clothing
rear view mirrors
'bents
big water bottles
Terry saddles

That's funny. I hear where you are coming from on some of that stuff.

I do not agree with triples, or the spd/mtn bike shoe thing. A lot of people's use is different. I would imagine that if I ever packed a bike with 80lbs of equipment and supplies to traverse the country self supported, I'd do it in my SIDI Mtn shoes and most likely with a triple.

What's worse then a big water bottle is when someone uses an actual water bottle (dasani, etc...) and it's like the super large size.

My personal pet peeve is when the seatbag is swinging 'cause they cannot figure the straps out. YOU KNOW IT IS NOT SUPPOSED TO HANG 3 INCHES BELOW YOUR SADDLE AND SWING!!!!!! I've actually asked people in parking lots before or after rides or at trailheads if I can fix that for them. Even if I'm not riding with them.

dauwhe
05-19-2006, 06:49 AM
Wrong

reflectors
SPD off-road pedals
mountain shoes
triples
wire bead gumwalls
nut and valve caps
camelbaks
Primal wear clothing
rear view mirrors
'bents
big water bottles
Terry saddles

Let's see: I have

reflective tape on my fenders
cheap Shimano mountain shoes with Speedplay Frogs
A triple (and 48/34/24 at that!)
Wire bead gumwall tires (650B)
I hate wearing a camelbak, but do it on the hottest, longest rides
and I have a big saddlebag (as well as a bigger handlebar bag)

It all works for me! :beer:

Happily,

Dave

ergott
05-19-2006, 06:51 AM
Wrong

mountain shoes Guilty. I don't race much and they are too practicle.
triples Good enough for pros (Heras). Bikes are light enough these days that weight is not an issue (never was, really).
nut and valve caps Make good wheel balance weights.
camelbaks 750ml for me (if that's big). Big bottles = distance.
big or medium sized saddle bags depends on the application. Again, not everybody races. I usually have a rack and rear bag for mtn. biking and my friends all love me. I’m the mule. Tough guys don’t mind the extra weight.

Mikej
05-19-2006, 07:03 AM
People with more money than skill

Argos
05-19-2006, 07:06 AM
I usually have a rack and rear bag for mtn. biking and my friends all love me. I’m the mule.

This is true. I've been mtn biking with ergott and a mutual friend on a chilly day. once you get hot and are ready to shed layers, that Gi-normous bag on his rack looks AWESOME! Much better then my back pocket.

I just put a rack on the SS mtn bike I use to pull my daughter in her trailer. When I put Mtn Bike Tires on it for the winter, and go off road, I am not taking that rack off.

ergott
05-19-2006, 07:07 AM
People with more money than skill

People with what they think is skill, no money, and a bad attitued about it. Nothing worse than someone whining about someone elses equipment because they can't afford the same.

PS the poor, elitist racer thing is so played!

Ginger
05-19-2006, 07:57 AM
Wow...negativity on a rainy Friday. Fridays are supposed to be *good* days. It isn't even mid winter. What's up with that?

And stop harshing on the mountain bikers. (triples, camel backs, off road shoes, spds)

scrooge
05-19-2006, 08:06 AM
Don't want to get all defensive and what not--but seriously. I wish I could see DBRK's deleted post--I suspect it would offer some wisdom about different riding styles, doing your own thing etc.
So yes, I'm an offender on several of these, and probably will be on a few more as time goes on (thinking about putting a rack on my road bike so that I can carry lots fo goodies when I go on long solo rides, and a mirror too for Michigan roads. Will have mtb pedals on our tandem etc...)
But the one I really don't get is why big water bottles are a problem--especially if I'm not allowed to carry a camelback. Maybe one of those tanks that goes on the rear rack and runs a hose through the areo bars (don't have, but am thinking about getting, BTW) is the better option?

saab2000
05-19-2006, 08:15 AM
People with what they think is skill, no money, and a bad attitued about it. Nothing worse than someone whining about someone elses equipment because they can't afford the same.

WORD

dbrk
05-19-2006, 08:17 AM
How about this instead of that. It's not original but it serves me well:

1. Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone.

2. The journey of a thousand miles begins with a leaky tire and no pump on your peg.

3. It's always darkest before dawn. So if you're going to steal your neighbor's newspaper, that's the time to do it

4. Don't be irreplaceable. If you can't be replaced, you can't be promoted.

5. Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

6. Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

7. If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.

8. Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

9. If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

10. Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

11. If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

12. If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.

13. Some days you're the bug; some days you're the windshield.

14. Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.

15. The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

16. A closed mouth gathers no foot. A closed foot...well, I have no idea.

17. Duct tape is like 'The Force'. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

18. There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works.

19. Generally speaking, you aren't learning much when your lips are moving. You arew likely not learning anything when someone else's lips are moving too. Your call.

20. Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

21. Never miss a good chance to shut up. This applies to other people too.

22. Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

david
05-19-2006, 08:36 AM
dbrk,
awesome.
i'm gonna tatoo 4, 12, and 21 on the inside of my eyelids.
here's one for the collection: those with infinite patience wait for nothing.
i think that makes sense.
and here's a cool story...
guy's married to a woman for 40 years. love of his life. they spend every moment together. she succumbs to a sudden illness and dies. the day she dies, his best friend comes to console him. toward the end of the day, the best friend says...
"i don't understand. you haven't cried, you haven't mourned, you don't seem upset at all. how will you recover from such a loss if you don't deal with it?"
guy says...
"i knew that one day i would have to get over this and so i chose to make today the day."

Tom
05-19-2006, 08:38 AM
they know I'm not working when I bust out laughing in the office. Thanks a lot, dbrk.

athekap
05-19-2006, 08:47 AM
I agree with all, except as to Terry. It may not give style points, but after getting numb from numerous italian saddles, I will trade style for health.

toaster
05-19-2006, 08:57 AM
DBRK's list is right!

More wrong:

Ipods
jerseys that are too big and over stuffed pockets
way too thin lycra (shorts)
helmets circa 1985
neon lime, orange
folks getting upset over a silly list no matter what the weather

Argos
05-19-2006, 09:59 AM
Can I ipod on the mtn bike if I'm on the trail?

Well, I do, so too bad. :D

gasman
05-19-2006, 10:10 AM
Brilliant, made my morning..

How about this instead of that. It's not original but it serves me well:

1. Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone.

2. The journey of a thousand miles begins with a leaky tire and no pump on your peg.

3. It's always darkest before dawn. So if you're going to steal your neighbor's newspaper, that's the time to do it

4. Don't be irreplaceable. If you can't be replaced, you can't be promoted.

5. Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

6. Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

7. If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.

8. Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

9. If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

10. Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

11. If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

12. If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.

13. Some days you're the bug; some days you're the windshield.

14. Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.

15. The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

16. A closed mouth gathers no foot. A closed foot...well, I have no idea.

17. Duct tape is like 'The Force'. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

18. There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works.

19. Generally speaking, you aren't learning much when your lips are moving. You arew likely not learning anything when someone else's lips are moving too. Your call.

20. Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

21. Never miss a good chance to shut up. This applies to other people too.

22. Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

coylifut
05-19-2006, 10:20 AM
I liked #3 the best.

btw. big bottles are for big miles. I have a club mate who rides about 40 miles round trip to our group ride. He only shows up on the days we do 70 miles plus. He's always there when we 100+. He has 3 water bottle cages on his size 62 bike that holds big bottles.

malcolm
05-19-2006, 10:23 AM
When I had the engine I didn't have the money, still don't have a whole lot of it but don't have the engine either. I remember the old fat guy on the colnago, derosa, pinarello etc. and in my youth was disgusted now I'm him only hopefully less fat (distorted body image is a good thing). I have no list of wrong things. Just this am my wife and I went for a short 20 and as we were loading the car a guy approached us and introduced himself said he was 64 and on his third ride of the week and hadn't been on a bike for 40 years so far he had accrued a little over 18 miles in his short sleeved football jersey, baggy shorts and upright comfort bike and in my eyes it was all right. Your butt is on the saddle the wheels go round and everything else is window dressing. DBRK for president. Malcolm

Ti Designs
05-19-2006, 10:27 AM

How 'bout the poor elitest ex-racer???

coylifut
05-19-2006, 11:06 AM
Wrong

anonymity on internet forums

andy mac
05-19-2006, 11:44 AM
last placed cat 5 racers saying DA ain't good enough for them.

people who don't understand that a flipped headstem could be due to a serious medical condition and that you'd rather have a 67cm drop to look cool but can't.

anyone who bags a person who is off their arse and exercising in whatever shape or form.

:beer:

Ginger
05-19-2006, 11:55 AM
coy;
Big Bottles and Camelbacks...

Yeah...reading the list I thought
"This person doesn't ever ride more than 2 miles away from a 7-11 or gas station..."

Douglas...#4...now I see my problem with my job! Thanks! (although I don't think I'm irreplaceable, I just think I'm cheaper than any alternative they've found.)

JohnS
05-19-2006, 12:05 PM
I LOVE my Camelbak. Here's its pluses... 1. No annoying seatbag. 2. No annoying overstuffed jersey pockets. 3. No annoying Gatorade leaking onto my frame tubes. 4. I can carry my wallet, tire levers, CO2/minipump, spare tube, patches, cleat covers, spare CO2 cartridges, minitool, and a (legal) S&W 642. 5. More liquid than 2 waterbottles.

jasont
05-19-2006, 12:09 PM
Heh, I have SPD mountain pedals and carbon soled road shoes. How wrong is that? ;-)

It turns out, very. The road shoes are way more slippery than my mountain shoes. Numerous times I've applied pressure to click in only to have my shoe slip off the pedal and I come within nanometers of slamming the boys on the top tube. I need road pedals asap.

Headwinds
05-19-2006, 02:35 PM

Hey, Careful here!

Remember Cinelli's Fantasy cork-tape of the late 80's? Andy Hampsten won the Giro in '88 with this tape!

IXXI
05-19-2006, 04:09 PM
YOU KNOW IT IS NOT SUPPOSED TO HANG 3 INCHES BELOW YOUR SADDLE AND SWING!!!!!!

LOL!

just making up for lack of it 3 in. above atmo

stevep
05-19-2006, 04:34 PM
the worse thing in my mind is a cel phone on a bike ride.

exclusion allowed for a medical doctor on call.
nothing else.

cant disagree with the above stuff either... some funny shiite.

dauwhe
05-19-2006, 04:42 PM
I've carried a cell phone on rides that go all night (like the 24-hour Fleche). The significant other appreciates a call in the morning saying that I lived through the night!

Dave

Bill Bove
05-19-2006, 04:43 PM
Cell phone rings are training ride primes :no: drop the offender :banana:

vandeda
05-19-2006, 05:34 PM
the worse thing in my mind is a cel phone on a bike ride.

What if your bike is your car? Is it OK then. How about reflectors when in winter 90% of your riding is in the dark, and ~20% in the summer is in the dark? Or what about mtn shoes (with spd pedals) when you walk into Target to go shopping, or are road shoes that make you look like a deranged duck walking on ice preferable :banana:

LOL ... I guess my problem is 95% of my rides are for commuting these days, and only 5% are for recreation.

My Wrongs are few:
-Snobbish riders (I get snubbed by roadies when I'm in my work clothes, even while riding my Vanilla)
-LA wannabies
-Riding a bike 'cause it makes you look cool, but doesn't suit your purpose at all
-Poorly maintained bikes

Otherwise, it's your bike. Personalize your bike so it describes who you are, instead of getting what you think everyone else will approve of (or in other words, don't give into the peer pressure like a high school kid). Cycling should be fun ... so go out there and have fun, unless it's your job and in that case, WORK HARDER SOLDIER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Dan

stevep
05-19-2006, 06:03 PM
no argument.
for 75% of the 20% who ride 80% of the time it is considered 14% ok.
otherwise no.
bitter on a group ride though, atmo.

figure it out and let me know... im lost around the 80% mark...but i am certain of the figures/

Fixed
05-19-2006, 07:53 PM
bros that don't know which way the wind blows .
cheers

Grant McLean
05-20-2006, 11:46 AM
Ebay bikes for sale with saddles that aren't level....

g

Dr. Doofus
05-20-2006, 01:01 PM
are all those bikes from one dude

or is there a network of really bad salesmen?

anyway

doof says these are wrong:

'cross tires on track bikes

aerobars on mtb

-40 degree stem on 'cross bike

moustache bars and seat bag on a P3

a sachs road bike with no post showing, untrued rims, anatomic bars turned upside down, a fuzzy pink saddle, a plastic horn, bar end shifters and a 1977 denny doyle baseball card clothespinned to the non-drive chainstay