PDA

View Full Version : Cyclist's "Node"

luv2bike
10-16-2015, 07:57 AM
Hi,

After a few doctor's visits, tests, and finally an MRI, I have been diagnosed with something commonly termed a cyclist's node. It is a benign fiberous growth directly under one or both (right side only for me) of your sitbones.
Apparantly comes from a lot of miles and friction/movement from the saddle.
Surgical removal has been recommended as these will not go away on their own. May shrink a bit if you don't cycle but that's not really an option.

Anyone have any experience with this? What has the outcome been? I am trying to decide re surgery or just live with the discomfort.

Thanks,
George

oldpotatoe
10-16-2015, 08:04 AM
Hi,

After a few doctor's visits, tests, and finally an MRI, I have been diagnosed with something commonly termed a cyclist's node. It is a benign fiberous growth directly under one or both (right side only for me) of your sitbones.
Apparantly comes from a lot of miles and friction/movement from the saddle.
Surgical removal has been recommended as these will not go away on their own. May shrink a bit if you don't cycle but that's not really an option.

Anyone have any experience with this? What has the outcome been? I am trying to decide re surgery or just live with the discomfort.

Thanks,
George

I have the same thing, I think..essentially described to me as a lump of 'dead fat'.

I switched to a saddle that doesn't aggravate it(SMP Glider). It kinda bugs me when I start but that goes away in about a minute or so..

I had a plumbing doc(gastro-tumor doc) evaluate, he said he had 3 guys in one week with these. 1 had it removed, the others(me included) just let be.

soulspinner
10-16-2015, 09:09 AM
I have the same thing, I think..essentially described to me as a lump of 'dead fat'.

I switched to a saddle that doesn't aggravate it(SMP Glider). It kinda bugs me when I start but that goes away in about a minute or so..

I had a plumbing doc(gastro-tumor doc) evaluate, he said he had 3 guys in one week with these. 1 had it removed, the others(me included) just let be.

Same here. As soon as I swithched from a Selle San Marco saddle to the Aliante, it no longer bothered me and has not changed in 10 years...

eippo1
10-16-2015, 09:55 AM
Never been diagnosed other than looked at by my physician, but that's what I have under my right side too. Pretty much means that I have to use saddles that have a bit more padding.

malcolm
10-16-2015, 10:09 AM
I've got one as well, left side. I would not go the surgical route unless it stays painful. Mine is always there but not always painful. It'll flare up and usually get better with a week or so of nsaid.

I would look for a saddle that irritates it less.

Lewis Moon
10-16-2015, 10:25 AM
So THAT'S what it's called! Mine seems to flare up in relation to saddle/chamois combos. I have 5 sets of bibs in rotation, each different. That helps to keep the irritation off any one area but it's hard to pin down which is best for the C-node.

ntb1001
10-16-2015, 10:39 AM
This is one thread that I'm glad there are no pics...:eek:

Funny thing though, my son has what you describe on his feet. The doctors say it's from him playing hockey. He is on the ice minimum 4-5 days a week. I never thought this was a common thing elsewhere.

Steve in SLO
10-16-2015, 04:22 PM
I have had one for the last 8 or so years. Chamois creme on long rides, a bit more padding on bibs and find a comfortable saddle or position on the saddle (more forward rotation of your hips on the saddle might help).
Surgery comes with its own risks of recurrence or new pain due to new scar tissue, but if you are at the end of your rope it may be worth it.

ultraman6970
10-16-2015, 04:35 PM
I'm guilty too

luv2bike
10-16-2015, 05:27 PM
I went today to see the surgeon that was recommended to me. Turns out to be a cyclist also, which was fabulous!
He recommended against surgery for as long as absolutely possible. He said that the node is actually composed of scar tissue. It's the result of the constant abuse of tissue under your skin being compacted between the sit bones and the saddle. He said that surgery would just replace that scar tissue with surgical scar tissue.
I'll be on the hunt for new saddles now :)

charliedid
10-16-2015, 05:39 PM
Yep

ldamelio
10-16-2015, 06:42 PM
I went today to see the surgeon that was recommended to me. Turns out to be a cyclist also, which was fabulous!
He recommended against surgery for as long as absolutely possible. He said that the node is actually composed of scar tissue. It's the result of the constant abuse of tissue under your skin being compacted between the sit bones and the saddle. He said that surgery would just replace that scar tissue with surgical scar tissue.
I'll be on the hunt for new saddles now :)

This - I'm a surgeon and had one of these myself in 2009. A large component of these is inflammatory and acute in addition to whatever chronic scar tissue you have amassed. Stay off the bike for a few weeks and it will likely go down significantly. Mine went from golf ball to pea and I haven't noticed it at all after the first few weeks. It's still there if I poke around, but inconsequential. Great that you found an informed surgeon. Not much written about these and a non-cyclist surgeon might have recommended a procedure.