PDA

View Full Version : Shimano Fail

xeladragon
10-15-2015, 11:39 PM
Shimano RS685 hydro lever & brake set comes with everything you need for the brakes, shift cables, but NO SHIFT HOUSING!?!

C'mon man... W T F...

/rant over

SpeedyChix
10-16-2015, 05:34 AM
Shimano RS685 hydro lever & brake set comes with everything you need for the brakes, shift cables, but NO SHIFT HOUSING!?!

C'mon man... W T F...

/rant over

I had the "pleasure" of finding that Shimano packed those that way. Seems it's to allow the purchaser to buy whatever color of housing they want. Think it's the first time I've bought Shimano shift levers that didn't include the housing.

xeladragon
10-16-2015, 08:15 AM
I had the "pleasure" of finding that Shimano packed those that way. Seems it's to allow the purchaser to buy whatever color of housing they want. Think it's the first time I've bought Shimano shift levers that didn't include the housing.

Lol... yeah... just doesn't make any sense. Forgot to mention that they also include the cable end caps... but no housing!

guido
10-16-2015, 08:20 AM
Isn't this their entry into "wireless"? :bike:

thirdgenbird
10-16-2015, 08:32 AM
Their mtb shifters come with cable but no housing.

Mark McM
10-16-2015, 09:09 AM
I bought a pair of tires and they didn't come with tubes??!?

I bought a pair of handlebars and they didn't come with handlebar tape?!?

Cable housing is cheap and readily available in multiple colors and sizes. No big deal.

thirdgenbird
10-16-2015, 09:45 AM
the difference is that shifters used to come with housing as the norm. It's not an issue or a big deal, just a change. Tube and bar tape have always been seperate purchases and make a poor analogy.

cmbicycles
10-16-2015, 09:49 AM
I bought a pair of tires and they didn't come with tubes??!?

I bought a pair of handlebars and they didn't come with handlebar tape?!?

Cable housing is cheap and readily available in multiple colors and sizes. No big deal.

Barring an individual store promotion within the last 25 years (maybe more) tires typically don't come with tubes, handlebars typically don't come w/ bar wrap. These are expected norms. Shifters, however, typically come with shift housing. No its not really a huge deal, but adds the total cost nonetheless. It saves Shimano few cents per shift set to not include. You'd be best to send them back and buy Campy... or SRAM. ;)

Mark McM
10-16-2015, 10:42 AM
the difference is that shifters used to come with housing as the norm. It's not an issue or a big deal, just a change. Tube and bar tape have always been seperate purchases and make a poor analogy.

It used to be the norm for bikes to come with pedals, and for shoes to come with cleats, but not any more.

It used to be the norm for brifters to come with downtube (shifter boss) cable stops, but not any more.

It used to be the norm for Campy cassettes to come with lockrings, but not any more.

As you say, things change in response to a change technology/marketing landscape.

But on the other hand -

Wheels didn't use to come with brake pads, but now many carbon wheels do.

Forks didn't used to come with brake nuts, but now many do.

Frames didn't used to come with seat posts, but now many do (for proprietary desings like seat masts).

Things change ...

thirdgenbird
10-16-2015, 10:48 AM
Yes. Things change. I'm not bothered by it. My post was an FYI for others. I know several people who were caught off guard by it and were unable to complete their bike.

SoCalSteve
10-16-2015, 12:20 PM
My new Dura Ace DI2 shifters came with brake cabling and housing. No Shimano fail here!

Don't you think the word " fail " in the title is a bit dramatic? Had the shifters or brakes not worked, that would more along the lines of " fail ", don't you think?

xeladragon
10-16-2015, 12:34 PM
As someone else already stated, it's just an annoyance. Thought I ordered everything that I needed... but nope! Missing housing. First time this has happened with Campy, Shimano, or SRAM.

A think a better analogy is buying brake calipers that come with the pads but no holders. Why would anyone not need pad holders? :confused:

Big Dan
10-16-2015, 12:47 PM
You don't have any extra shifter housing?

:eek:

kramnnim
12-11-2015, 06:42 PM
OP, I assume you've gotten your new levers set up by now (unless you're like me and take forever).

How do you like them?

mktng
12-11-2015, 06:46 PM
rant to shimano. maybe they will send you some :)

xeladragon
12-11-2015, 07:35 PM
OP, I assume you've gotten your new levers set up by now (unless you're like me and take forever).

How do you like them?

Great! TRP Spyres were fine, but hydro is way better, effortless braking, no comparison. My first time setting up hydro brakes... First bleed was a little frustrating, second was much easier.