PDA

View Full Version : New Aliante R3 Review

weaponsgrade
10-15-2015, 11:37 PM
I recently picked up a new Aliante R3 after trying out the saddle on a friends bike. He has an older Aliante. The new Aliante has a vinyl band that stretches across the back of the saddle. The edges of the band seem somewhat sharp and pronounced. It also appears that the profile doesn't have as much of a hammock as the previous version. I haven't had the chance to compare the two side-by-side so I'm just going on memory here.

Can anyone comment on the new vs. old Aliante? I haven't installed the saddle yet b/c I'm considering returning.

Cicli
10-16-2015, 05:57 AM
I dont like the new one. Had one and sent it back. Arts still had an old model and traded me. Even traded up a model. Nice.

johnmdesigner
10-16-2015, 10:23 AM
I purchased the team Sky version. The bottom is beautifully designed and engineered. Then they go and put this belt of sharp edged material across the area where you sit. The edge will certainly wear out your shorts. Plus it looks terrible and doesn't show up in the product pics.
I've ridden Aliante's for years. It's my favorite saddle. But this one is going back.
The worst thing about them is the hard plastic side rails under the saddle. Unless you keep them pristine one little scratch or scuff will end up ruining your shorts. I have two older versions with soft rubber rails and I always keep switching them out. But they won't fit the new version.
Take a good product and ruin it. That's progress.

Lovetoclimb
10-16-2015, 11:22 AM
Smaller (at least it looks so), stiffer, sharper, and all around not as comfy. I had a rep send me one to put some miles on having ridden the older style exclusively for 5 years now. I would not endorse over the old model.

tv_vt
10-16-2015, 11:27 AM
Not sure what's going on with Fizik, but they have ruined a couple of great saddles. I rode the Arione for years, but the newer versions are like bricks. I'm on a Prologo now.

I'm hearing lots of complaints about the new Aliante now, too.

thwart
10-16-2015, 11:32 AM
Yikes. This sort of thing really pushes my 'hoarder' button.

OK, OK... not that it takes very much... :rolleyes:

weaponsgrade
10-16-2015, 10:29 PM
Arrgh! Guess this sucker is going back.

jmeloy
10-17-2015, 05:34 PM
Hate to hear this! Anyone tried the Fabric Scoop as a possible alternative?

avalonracing
10-17-2015, 05:48 PM

I ride Aliantes and I tried my friend's bike with a Fabric Scoop and liked it. I'm going to try one for my next saddle.

Cicli
10-17-2015, 05:48 PM

I did. It didnt work for me.

soulspinner
10-17-2015, 05:49 PM
guess its time to recover the old one

jmeloy
10-17-2015, 05:57 PM
Yep that'll be the plan.

Lovetoclimb
10-17-2015, 06:42 PM

Good for you I am selling one!!!

Bob Ross
10-18-2015, 03:02 PM

I tried hoarding 2 or 3 weeks ago. Nobody seems to have any of the older Aliantes left.

I'm screwed and pissed.

Joachim
10-18-2015, 03:04 PM

I started when they announced the change in shape. 9 Aliantes later :)

PaulE
10-18-2015, 07:12 PM
I have an Alliante with a back corner scuffed and gouged through the cover. Was thinking I would sell it, but now I will save it for recovering!

Wakatel_Luum
10-18-2015, 09:07 PM
I used to ride with Aliante's but found some issues with the carbon base delaminating and the glue cracked where the Ti rail joined...I've gone back to riding my old leather, heavy Regal...so comfy and more durable...

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/18/ff81af582a012fe15bb2ce3b00b2facc.jpg

thwart
10-19-2015, 10:58 AM
I used to ride with Aliante's but found some issues with the carbon base delaminating and the glue cracked where the Ti rail joined...I've gone back to riding my old leather, heavy Regal...so comfy and more durable...

Ahh, saddles. Is there anything that's more variable from person to person? ... probably even moreso than shoes.

I can't ride a Regal for more than 10 miles.

Why Fizik would mess (even a little) with what is probably the most popular road saddle out there is beyond me...

Classic Coke, anyone?

bocobiking
10-19-2015, 05:12 PM
I've been riding the new R3 now for about 3 weeks and I really like it. It's 1 cm longer than the old Aliante and not as squishy.

weaponsgrade
10-19-2015, 05:32 PM
Well, at least there's one vote for the new version. I can definitely see how a scuff on the plastic bumpers can snag your shorts. But I'm thinking you could also sand or file smooth any scuffs. I'll probably still return though.

charliedid
10-19-2015, 06:06 PM
The Aliante Gamma K:ium is still shown on the website and QBP has them in stock. http://www.fizik.it/saddles/road-saddles/aliante-gamma/

I can't recall when I was in Vegas if this was to be discontinued or not. Part of me thinks the new models are in addition but could be wrong...

FYI

oldpotatoe
10-20-2015, 07:23 AM
I tried hoarding 2 or 3 weeks ago. Nobody seems to have any of the older Aliantes left.

I'm screwed and pissed.

Call Vecchio's..I thought I saw one or two older, original Aliante's in there. Ariones also.

Jim
303-440-3535

juim@vecchios.com

Wakatel_Luum
10-20-2015, 07:45 AM
I have about 8-9 of them in my spare room...but I'm in Australia...